Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Doug- I know what you're saying about the 14-S .. TT scans/images need to be updated/upgraded .. Many coins I have bought from them have surprised me in hand (good and bad) over the years .. The 14-S in choice AU doesn't come around very often but hopefully what you say is correct and there will be a better opportunity
    imageimage
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Mike. Did the original owner take a loss or did you go way over your intended budget for this 1???
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    That thing is a beauty, Mike!
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    I tried to get the 15-S Quarter in PCGS 58 CAC, on Teletrade on Sunday night.
    Talk about throw away the price sheets!
    I did win the 1891 in 58! My first Seated!
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    How many Barber Sets can be built in a lifetime?

Well, just ask Mike (MFH), he seems to be building several sets at any one time.
    He's got the disease...BAD! image

Haha, just playing with you Mike. Good to see progress is going smoothly image

I'm loving this Part 2 Barber thread
    Now I know why the 15-S cost me $400 + the juice. .. I already talked to one under bidder from N.C. ... Were you the final under bidder KAJ?

I got sniped on the 14-S, but maybe for the better. I think the best "deal" I have found for the year 2012 was the 98-O in PC58 for $600. I was browsing the NFC Coins website one day and there she was .. PCGS has the image on the cert verification or on coinfacts (24927459) .. At work .. no time for an upload.

The 15-S shows a high pop in 58 but I believe those numbers are skewed ... that coin does not turn up very often.

Very nice 1903-O btw Mike. Like that look for sure.
    imageimage
    That looked to be a nice 15-S, Scott. image
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig - What a beautiful 1892 that is. Good to see it again.

Scott - Nice 97-O. Congrats on the 15-S. Look forward to seeing your pics, Teletrade's weren't very good.

Mike - Perfect look on the 03-O half. It will take some time to find your needed dates that look like that. I'll keep my eyes open.

For tonight, one of my favorites from my raw quarter set.

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

<< <i> Were you the final under bidder KAJ? >>

Yea that was me. I really wanted that coin, it would have been a nice addition to my small collection.
    My final bid was 380.00.

I also won the 1907-P in 55 cac.
    Justin- I hope so.

Vern- Love the look of that 10-D and the other raw quarters you've posted here .. Always purely virgin coins

KAJ- The 07-P looked gorgeous .. I needed the 01-P (55 CAC) but I was tempted to go after the 07-P but I had a large bid on the 14-S and had no way of knowing who would win (another downfall of TT bidding protocol)
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I had my eye on the 01 also. However the 15-S was the cats meow in that auction. I had bid on the 07, and didn't want to over spend.
    With mintage at 704,000, I felt it was the coin to get.
    I did bid again, but the clock ran out... I didn't think it would go that high.
    I was the only bidder on the 07. It looks like a outstanding coin, but Teletrades pictures are not the best...
    I can't wait to get both coins in hand.

Edit,
    Mike,
    You are correct, the 15-S was listed as a NGC. I was hoping no one noticed! lol NOT.
    Teletrade works both ways. Their auction style kills their action I believe. People on a budget, or those who have a committed amount to spend have to make a choice. You have no clue if you win until all lots close at 10pm EST. Thus, it is difficult to bid strongly on a coin, or multiple lots such as the case with the 14-S quarter, and bid on other coins not knowing if a large part of your budget will or won't be used? How can that not hurt TT?

Thus, it can be a great place to acquire coins for the very same reason. If there are only a few people interested in this material, and they are concentrating on 1 or 2 coins, the others tend to get neglected and often sell at opening bid (as in the case of the 07) .. I also won the 01-P in 55 which closed at $170 plus the juice I believe. I left the 07 alone as I have one in 58 which I don't love. The obverse is very nice, with satiny luster but the reverse toning is quite ugly.

All you guys are spot on .. I would have bought the coin even if it was in an NGC holder .. Many of my better coins were bought in NGC/ANACS holders or bought raw. When I saw the 15-S was in a PCGS holder it was just a bonus. The 15-S may have been the cat's meow as you said KAJ, but it was a bit of an overpayment. Even though the mintage is low, the population is high in choice AU.
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Here's a heads up for the next few days for ebay snippers.
    This guy took a bath on this coin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1896-S-Barber-Half-Dollar-SEMI-KEY-PCGS-VF20-Old-Green-Holder-NR-/150931500128?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&amp;ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&amp;nma=true&amp;si=Hz6DnQpM6KpX6kyjn1a5DAa/5QE=&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;rt=nc

I tried to bid subtantially more than that sold for with 15 seconds left in the auction. I hit bid and it sat there and sat there! WTF!
    Well,while placing a token bid on something this morning I found out what happened. Seems ebay has interjected another page in the bidding for items in the area affected by Sandy. The page warns you about possible delays as if no one knows there might be delays. I guess that page was overwhelmed last night as the page wouldn't come up. Added 5 seconds or so this morning to the bidding process.
    Darrel - Same coin Tom Smith sold Oct 4th for $499. Strange the guy would sell it in a NR auction 3 weeks later and lose $200 on it

imageimage
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Darrell - Something doesn't add up on that 96-S half.

Mike - Nice original 06-D.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    From a fellow forumite! Love this new coin! Scratches on holder.

• InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Not my auction, but if I had a Dansco full of Barber Halves like this, would have never moved past VG-F grades image

Killer Key Date VG+

PS not an apparition, still alive and kickin' by the grace of God, but not back into the Barber hunt (fortunately for elbesaar!)

Glad to see a mega-thread part II image
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Justin - I'm pleased that you are happy with the 93-S.

InYH - A point well taken. Barbers are attractive collectible coins in a wide variety of grades.

Mike - Very nice "kid". Does he/she have a twin?

A newp. Anyone care to guess the grade?

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    I'll wager AU50.

:
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike- I love the look of that dime
    Vern - I'll be the contrarian and say XF 45
    In YHW - very nice - agree with you except I would be likely to create sets at that level and the crusty XF AU levels and further dent my wallet

Wouldn't it figure I spend the better part of a year chasing an XF or AU 03-0 half .. And I did fall into a terrific AU55... But a very solid looking NGC XF40 hits eBay for $200 a few nights ago. I know someone here's been looking for that coin as well and tipped him off before it was vacuumed up .. I figured I better scoop it thinking it wouldn't last at that price... If he was not interested I can't go wrong. Such is the case. When it arrives the only decision will be to cross or just sell as is. Not often I play flipper but this was too obvious even to my non-entrepreneurial eyes
    imageimage
    Justin/Vern - gorgeous 93-S 25c ... I meant to ask you if that 93-S quarter was a PC35 ... Looks Very Familiar .. If so cert start with 24? If not its a twin .. Was pop 3 when I graded mine in January.
    imageimage
    I'm in the 45 camp on that 98-O! Nice Coin!
    Scott, it is a VF30 from Vern's personal raw set.
    Thanks Justin- Very nice indeed.. I really didn't think it was the same coin but it is strikingly similar. Was very difficult for me to septet ate myself from my old one.. Especially since I hate my current example in 45!!
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Nice solid 03-S upgrade, Mike.
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    New 03-S is a 40?
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    I'm thinking a 53 on the 98-O and maybe even 55. That coin is loaded with luster, very nice
    Another Darrell GTG!!!

My wager, 35/40 PCGS gave it a 35 with your track record. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>I know the grade - as he offered it to me after I had already
    purchased my 1903-S ( posted above ).

FYI: both 03-S's are graded the same. >>

MIKE! Party Pooper!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Thanks for the opinions on my 98-O half. I think it's every bit of a 50. PCGS said 45.

Mike - good looking upgrade. Congrats.

Darrell - I'll guess 40 on your 03-S GTG. I like the coin.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Darrell,

The 03-S could be anywhere between VF35 and XF45, I'll go along with Vern and say XF40.

Doug
    Darrell - 03-S looks all of 40 to me as well - solidly obverse and reverse

Vern - that 98-O is a beauty .. I love the look. Joe was right about there being a ton of luster ... Not only is there a ton of luster, all the six sided stars show very little wear .. the coin certainly didn't circulate for very long at all!
    I stated my prediction of 45 instead of 50/53 as being a contrarian but seriously I wasn't stating my opinion on the grade of the coin per se as much as what I thought PCGS would adjudicate

A: The slightly darker patina which we all know is a dock in PCGS' eyes as much as the majority of us prefer the look
    B: Surface quality - If the surfaces have just a couple too many circulation striations/contact marks they just won't vault it over the hurdle.Where that line is is too vague for me to define as I don't see very many at all in that picture

I have several 45's with almost a full cartwheel effect but a couple too many surface abrasions and it just won't go above 45
    imageimage
    I'll let Mike out the grade when he is ready on the 03-S's

We all know PCGS is inconsistant with circulated Barbers. This is most apparent with the O mints and a few other known dates which come weakly struck. I actually have 2 O mints in 35 which cartwheel very nicely...no question AU's as to luster with VF details due to strike.

I really like that 98-O as a 45 but don't think I would like it as a 50. This is not a slight against the coin at all as it is very nice!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    I am happy to be able to "drop in" for a moment and scan the Thread. Things have been hectic. I honestly have to say Log's 03-S is slightly superior to Mike's. Sorry Mike but the bean and the 45 are misplaced on yours (IMHO only). However.... lucky you!! image

imageimage

Sorry about the lousy image.

I.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Great 98-S Labelman87.
    Mike...My 03-S looks exactly like the picture!

Nice 98-S Labelman!
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am happy to be able to "drop in" for a moment and scan the Thread. Things have been hectic. I honestly have to say Log's 03-S is slightly superior to Mike's. Sorry Mike but the bean and the 45 are misplaced on yours (IMHO only). However.... lucky you!! image

imageimage

Sorry about the lousy image.

No lousy image here -- I love that 98-S! It's typical of my "ideal" AU coin. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file