Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, I kept my peace for the most part about the last one, but I think it's getting worse.

How is this coin an AU53? I don't care about O mint strikes, etc. This coin is not an AU53. The one lat week, was a 1916. Again, nowhere near close to the assigned grade. Normally, I would concede to the PCGS graders, but I think it's getting worse.

Current one:

Link

Last week:

Link
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Log...I have to agree with you. All the Cass hoard coins were submitted as a group. For some unknown reason the graders love the look of the coins...I don't as I bought 1. Look at the 96-O 1/2 that graded 53 and brought over $3300! I wouldn't like it at a 45 overall!

Edit to add...I think the coin was a 45 but not attractive to me!
  • Options
    I will allow you guys to think about drewling and ponder! Vern showed me a wonderful quarter he won in the auction here at Baltimore. Drewling is putting it lightly! WOW! WOW! WOW! image
  • Options
    Ahhh yes, the CASS hoard. What a wonderful marketing strategy.
  • Options

<< <i>I will allow you guys to think about drewling and ponder! Vern showed me a wonderful quarter he won in the auction here at Baltimore. Drewling is putting it lightly! WOW! WOW! WOW! image >>

I hope he brings it to the BCCS meeting tomorrow!
  • Options
    I hope I can make it to my first BCCS Meeting tomorrow. I am curious how many other Barberites I know. The timing should be good as Friday afternoon is usually slow at Baltimore.
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the Cass hoard coins were liberally graded, but I really like the look. Two now reside in my collection.

Doug
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    Finally finished the Barber portion of my Everyman Type Set.
    Picked up the half last night from the always helpful Glenn Holsonbake.
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Beautiful coins and presentation!
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I had the pleasure of attending and meeting many of the BCCS members today. Was well attended with at least 20 people.

Mike! I don't see how Vern's coin could be trumped by any other for the grade. Simply a WOW coin!
  • Options
    A brief synopsis of my day at Baltimore. The day started off with a stop to the PO to pick up a coin I have been after for a long time. It sure feels good that she is finally in my grasp.

When I finally got to the show, it was a b-line to Darrell's table. I spent quite a bit of time at Darrell's table. Darrell has always been nice to me and more than willing to share experiences and expertise with me. I bought three halves from him to narrow down my date set in VF. Only three more to go. I also bought a dime from him. Why? Because I just liked it! image

After that I wandered up and down the isles a few times. Conversing with people I knew, some dealers I didn't know and just took in the sites. I didn't see anything else that could fit my three leftover half spots so I picked up a few avg. circ Morgans to feed my silver hunger. I thought 29 bucks a piece wasn't bad!

I also attended the BCCS meeting along with Darrell and Vern. I really enjoyed meeting Vern and his Barber friends. Talking with Vern, you get a real sense of his passion for Barber quarters. Thanks for the impromptu meeting and allowing me to see your new coin! I even got to see the "tab toned" 98-O everyone was talking about.

All in all, I had a great time. I love the Baltimore show, and I like it even better since it's only an hour away. image

• Options
    Justin! I am hearby slamming you on your photos! No I ain't gonna use my I-phone if that's how the pic's turn out. LOL...They slaughtered coins with the perfect look for us after the look! Great to spend some time chatting today!
  • Options

<< <i>Justin! I am hearby slamming you on your photos! No I ain't gonna use my I-phone if that's how the pic's turn out. LOL...They slaughtered coins with the perfect look for us after the look! Great to spend some time chatting today! >>

Well it's a hell of a lot better than what I used to do. All it matters is I know what they really look like! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Justin! I am hearby slamming you on your photos! No I ain't gonna use my I-phone if that's how the pic's turn out. LOL...They slaughtered coins with the perfect look for us after the look! Great to spend some time chatting today! >>

Well it's a hell of a lot better than what I used to do. All it matters is I know what they really look like! image >>

image Let me know if you ever list any of your beauties on ebay! I bet I win them! image
  • Options
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike valente151,

WOW, what a fabulous presentation of your Barber Type set! Very nice display!

I even know one of those coins image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Mike,
    Beautiful presentation on your Barber Circulation Type Set. Who did the photography? Excellent job!
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the nice words everyone!
    Newbarberguy, except for the ahlf dollar that is in the mail, all photography was done by myself.

• Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike,
    Would love to see the cameo effect on the 03-O...such a small world we live in! It's rewarding to be able to find some rare gems when we least expect them.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got back from Baltimore and wanted to make a quick reply, since I couldn't make a reply from my smartphone (don't know why).

Really enjoyed talking at length with Darrell, and meeting Justin. The BCCS meeting was well attended, with much good conversation.

Will comment about newps and put up pics in the next couple of days. In the meantime, my auction acquisition was the 09-O quarter in 64.

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern:

That MS64 1909-O Quarter is a very nice item. Congrats!!

• Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Vern - What a great acquisition - I bet it looks 10x nicer in hand. Congrads!image

Really nice type set of Barbers Mike - Love every single one of those coins. Great eye you have for sure.

Sounds like Baltimore was a great time and big turnout.

Very nice pickups Justin and Mike

It took awhile, but the last half dollar for the XF/AU EM Set is en route to me; 1904-S in 40 - I did pass up a 53 (not the recent Heritage coin) - I wasn't thrilled with the look for the price. Hopefully this 40 is as nice in hand. Still need most of the varieties for the Complete Major Variety set

There will always be tweaking and upgrading.. Starting with the last two VF35 coins - 96-O and 13-S .. I have seen several AU 96-O coins; I am convinced they are simply ALL weakly struck. Darrell did you buy the recently auctioned 53 on the bay? I was the under bidder and was firm at my bid as I thought it was ok but not great. Barry S. acquired Walt K's AU50 recently for similar money as the 53 sold for. I think that coin is very nice ( this was the 2nd AU 96-O from the Brier Creek set - his first was on JJT for months. I did not like that coin but this recent coin is head and shoulders nicer)

I know DKRC has a 13-S in 58 available for $1600 - I drew the line at $1400 on the past eBay auction feeling that was too much. There is an MS64 on Great Collections opening bid at $1950 .. I am just not convinced the AU58 bubble will sustain over the long haul - It may .. But it may not .. History of economics proven law of the bubble bursting at some point - The trick is to know when. Of course JJT still has the 1903 AU58 for 2 grand so it's probably just me not in tune with today's marketimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Since I've now returned home and gotten myself half way situated, I thought I'd put down my thoughts on the Baltimore show experience.

A couple of weeks ago, I did my review of what coins I might be interested in in the Stack's auction. Several went on my watch list, but only one did I seriously have an interest in, the 1909-O quarter in PCGS-64. Normally I am not interested in anything over MS-63, but the 09-O is a date that is an exception. I asked a couple of friends what they thought of this coin (one of which is a regular contributor here), as I'm a firm believer that two sets of eyes are better than one Unfortunately the 09-O was going up at auction on Wednesday night, and I wasn't going to be in Baltimore until Thursday morning, so I checked with another collecting friend who was going to be there Wednesday, to see if he could look at it in hand for me. His report was very positive, so I bid accordingly, and was fortunate to win. This started the show off well, and I hadn't even left home yet.

Early Thursday morning I flew into Baltimore with another collecting friend who specializes in Indian Cents, where we were picked up at the airport by our friend Glen, who has as he puts it, a core collection of Indian Cents and Barbers. For anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing some of his coins, his "core" is spectacular. We renewed acquaintances over breakfast and headed for the show. The three of us typically get together at these big shows, stay at the same hotel, and enjoy evening meals together. Sometimes, other collectors join us.

I knew which dealer's table I was headed for first, as I had seen an 01-S half on his web site a few days earlier. It was even better in hand, and after perusing most of his inventory, we negotiated a deal. It is as nice as a 45 can be IMO, and I'm thrilled to have it. I'll post pics in the near future.

I then made my rounds to a few dealers who usually have the type of coins I'm interested in, saw some possibilities, and made notes for follow-up. Then I found my way to Darrell's (amwldcoins) table, for what I thought would be a first meeting. I was surprised to see that I'd met him a couple years ago at a different locale, but didn't put two and two together. Anyway, we had a nice long conversation as I was going through his massive inventory of (mostly) barber halves. If you need a barber half, I'd suggest checking with Darrell. I then started the process of going around the entire bourse, and with a show as big as Baltimore, that is more than a one day task. I thought attendance at the show was pretty strong for a Thursday, and I didn't see any empty dealer tables.

The first day of the show ended for me without any more purchases, but I had several possibilities. The three of us walked down towards the Inner Harbor, and ate at the Cheesecake Factory.

Friday saw an eventful, long day on the bourse floor, with acquisition of three barber quarters, which I'm sure I will picture up and post in this thread soon. Most of my time was spent covering the floor. Once again, I thought attendance was good, and a few dealers I talked to said they were having strong shows, much better than anticipated.

At three o'clock, the Barber Coin Collector's Society meeting was held in room 301, and attendance was strong. We had 18 attendees, who all introduced themselves and discussed their collecting interests, a brief presentation by a representative of Coin Week, a discussion about current pricing of tougher date barbers, comments (all very positive) about Len Rizzo's front page article in this month's gray sheet, and a show and tell of recent acquisitions. I was very pleased to meet Justin (log potato), at the meeting.

The weather was pleasant on Friday evening after the show, so the three of us sauntered around the Inner Harbor, before settling in for a meal. Afterwards, as is our habit, we got together in one of our rooms for a show and tell of recent acquisitions. In the past, depending on how many acquaintances attended the show, we've had as many as ten people in a hotel room, with an amazing variety of quality coins present. This is the highlight of the convention to me, and a great way to learn about coins.

Saturday once again was a busy day for me, following up on coins I'd seen, and making a few purchases, which all turned out to be Indian Cents. The most amazing coincidence occurred though within an hour of each other, while checking with dealers I know about new show purchases, I saw two virtually identical AU-53, 1904-S halves. One of these may well join my collection in the next few days.

The flight home Saturday evening was a breeze, and I was very happy to be home with a few wonderful new coins.

-----------
    Vern

Vern
    l
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    Great pick ups. I can't wait to see that 09-O. I need to go to a major coin show.
    My new 94-P
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Thanks for the update on the show Vern, sounds like you were a busy man and made great use of your time. Congratulation on the 09-O!

I'm also looking forward to seeing Scott's new 04-S. When the half collection gets that far along, every new add is pretty exciting.
  • Options
    Just a quick post to put up a pic of the 09-O from Stacks.

Mike - PM sent.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern

imageimageimage

excuse me, but ...

OMG!!!

very, very nice looker!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    That really is a spectacular coin Vern - I saw the previews from the auction. Congrads again - superb coin!

Those two AU53 1904-S Halves were likely the 2 coins I had considered - I am just guessing based on the coincidence of two of them in that grade.. Seems unlikely one if not both are from the same source. Both looked nice enough - a few faint wispy lines on the obverse of one and both had nice reverses.

imageimage
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Watched a 1901-o Xf45 half sell yesterday on eBay and noticed that the seller said a AU53 had sold earlier from his hoard.
    Anybody know what that went for, and if it was a "good" 53? I'm reading there is some "debate" on that gang of Barbers.
    Kinda sorry I didnt see that one, as it's kinda my pet date in the series.

Oh yeah, sweet 09-o Vern.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Vern,

Real nice 09-O quarter. Great coin, nice look, "money in the bank" coin.

Have heard mixed reviews on the Cass hoard being sold on ebay. Some mid to higher grade barber halves, some seem a little liberally graded to many, although pics can be deceiving. Regardless, tough to find coins and some good dates in there.

I will be at the Michigan State show that is in a new venue this year due to change in ownership of the Hyatt in Dearborn. Hope the show is replicated in this different location. Stop and see me at Harry Laibstain's table if you make the show.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Scott,No! I didn't like the Cass 96-O and felt it was a 45. I have an excemptionally well struck AU55 which is the only coin I purchased for my set I really didn't like when I bought it. My reasoning was it will not be difficult to sell if I find a better 1. The longer I own it the more I like it. I actually think it was an NCS screw up....I guess PCGS crossed it because it is so difficult a date and all but fully struck.
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Wow Mike! I like to think I am!

That is a pretty Barber you just got.

I was only able to pick up 1 upgrade for my set at Baltimore...and it is a stunner in my opinion. I'll try to take a good pic in the next day or 2 and see if Justin can host it for me....again. image
  • Options
    Nice grab Mike - I saw that listed on the bay today and would've bought it myself if my last month hadn't been so eventful
    I was the recipient of a Cass coin myself - the 01-0 quarter. I'm relatively pleased with it. It's a viciously tough coin to find. If I were to use Doug's rating scale I would probably assign something like this:

Originality - 9
    Strike - 5 (O mint considered)
    Luster - 8
    Eye Appeal - 8

I think the true grade is 40, not 45 but its close and an argument for either grade can be made

Dogwood - the 01-0 in 53 Cass coin sold for $2300 I believe from memory? iPhone won't search archived sales that far back for some reason- tried adjusting settings but no dice. On my laptop I can go back further - more computer illiteracy on display here
    imageimage
  • Options
    Is this the one you are talking about?

Linky
  • Options
    I've been needing to say this but have been contemplating the best way to say it!

I really enjoyed meeting Vern(Barberkeys). Vern is a very astute collector with a keen eye and a very nice person! If I needed an opinion on a coin I would take his over CAC!
    Vern did a wonderful job leading the Barber Club meeting which I really enjoyed!

It was great to finally spend some time with Justin! He knows the look and it took me digging back to coins in boxes I didn't really want to sell to sell him a coin! There is no question Justin and I are on the same page as to the look for a nice circulated Barber Half!

I met some other members but I have never been good at remembering names. image All of the club members strike me as great people! image
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, that would be it thanks.
    Couldn't do a completed auction search for some reason.
    Decent amount of luster I reckon.
    Sleeper.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Dogwood,
    That 01-O went for big money...no recollection on the previous transaction referenced...but somebody wanted it bad!
  • Options
    Have been watching a lot of the Cass Collection on ebay. Some real lookers but nothing that smacks of "buy it now"...although I would be astounded if someone turned their "jewelry box" original collection of Barber Halves over to me...I would be salivating and panting to the bank. I've had few of those "star struck" experiences...I can only hope that I run into a PCGS XF-45 micro O...for a payment less than my mortgage!
  • Options
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

FedEx has my 04-S available for pickup later today. Coincidentally, this marks my 2 year anniversary for the beginning of my slabbed PCGS Barber Half Set (not to the date, but it was a few weeks before Xmas, 2010 that I bought that gorgeous 1892-TDR PCGS AU58 for $525. At the time I remember how selfish I felt buying myself such an expensive Christmas present! I had no idea about EM Registry Sets. Hell, I knew very little (and had little interest) in regilar refistry sets! To this day, this coin is in my opinion, and the opinion of almost every person -collector/dealer that has seen it in hand, the finest AU58 Barber Half they have seen. Undergraded is the majority consensus. Most people think it is 100% mint state. No circulation contact marks on either side. No luster break. No high point wear. The common question exists. How was this coin graded 58? Most of the experienced conclude the rub lies in the shield. A possibility of the faintest amount of rub, albeit not anywhere near a high point, MAY exist thetein. Most think I should regrade it as it would be a 64+/65 candidate. I think I'll go the CAC route first and see if David peals off a Goldie first. If that happens, I'll consider regrade.

When I made that purchase, I was about 1/2 way complete on my raw set of VF-AU Halves in a Dansco. A short time after, I saw a very nice raw 10-P for $400 from Executive Coin on ebay; the same outfit I bought the 92-TDR from. The 1910-P would eventually graded AU55. (Boy do I miss picking off nice raw coins). Of course for every 2 coins that would eventually grade about 1 didn't, or Id be disappointed by a supposed XF graded VF35. Although the first slabbed coin was purchased, it would be another 4-5 months before I bought another slabbed Barber Half, a very nice 1904-P in a small white ANACS45 holder. It wouldnt be for another 3 months or so, September of 2011 that things really changed for me. I was fortunate to meet Barry Schwarz (Barry's Barbers). He was upgrading his XF set of halves to AU. We got to talking. fortunately he took a liking to me. Short tome later, Barry afforded me the opportunity to buy many of the coins he was upgrading. I tell you all this for a couple reasons. One, I always enjoy reading other people's storiesso I hope some will enjoy this short diatribe. Secondly, for everyone that read Lenny Rizzo's article about collecting Barber Quartets in the CDN Supplement, one of the things he talks about is a mentor. Unbeknownst to me at the time, Barry was becoming my mentor. I was rather stubborn and self-absorbed in my own collecting habits. Barry enlightened me in myriad phases of coin collecting. He also introduced me to the set registry and to Walt Kennedy.

At the time, I thought the set registry was not for me. if you recall my earliest days on the forums here .. I told everyone I didnt like to post pictures - that I felt it was boasting (Ehhhh another comical irony. 1, my photos are hideous. 2, my coins often pale in vimparison to what othets post or discuss. But the bigger picture was how much I was missing the point. I thought the Set Registry was too restricted. Allowing only PCGS coins to be used made no sense to me at that time. I missed the larger picture. Eventually I thought of or heard others debating/opining on the hobby and the Set Registry.

1. It brings an avenue to meet lots of collectors and dealers and thus learn more about the hobby.
    2. A chance to see numerous other people's opinions, collecting habits and of course view, purchase and trade more coins!
    3. A chance to compare (and not necessarily compete although that certainly exists if you like that aspect). For me, it gave me goals. Something to strive for. There are many BEAUTIFUL collections and many beautiful coins reside in these collections. I was positively wowed by the quality. And I was envious but I also knew I wanted to up my game. I wanted done beautiful awe inspiring coins. Everyone had a piece in shaping my interest and taste and helped me set a direction and goals. Lenny Rizzo's taught me the value of the word, prudence. He told me over a year ago to be prudent. That stuck. He's right. Self control. He was telling me during the height of people over paying for AUs he was buying beautifully toned MS62-63 semi keys for the same or less money. To me that defines prudent. I know I'll be met with resistance here and both opinions are valid. It is simply my opinion that over the long run, beautifully toned better date or semi key MS62/63 coins will fare better than sliders. Just my opinion on long term.

As i started my PCGS EM Barber Half set, early on I ponderedwhy only PCGS graded coins were allowed. I think I came up with a reason I find most satisfying. Although there are many great coins in NGC, ANACS and even other 3rd tier holders, allowing only PCGS graded coins levels the playing field. The pessimist in me saw it as a marketing strategy for PCGS but eventually I came to believe it is the best approach. The ONLY approach. Some of my favorite coins once resided in NGC or ANACS holders.. (1909-0 XF45 half-NGC, 1905-0 XF40 Quarter - NGC, etc.). If only PCGS coins are allowed, we all play by the same set of rules.

All I had to do was clear the hurdle of my laziness and instant gratification!!!

And so returning to the collection, after buying a few of Barry's halves; I believe my first purchase was a 4 coin deal: 1894-0 XF45, 1896-P XF45, 1898 XF45 and 1912-D XF45. The 94-0 and 98 were dipped out and rather pasty. I guess I had to pay my dues! The 12-D was decent, hindered by a few carbon spots but the 96 was killer. Super coin. Original syrfaces buried under burmt on crust and tone. Sunset red and gold toning but not overwhelming - subtle. Perfect. In time I bought a lot of really nice coins from Barry. I love my 1896-P XF 45, 1907-S XF 45, 1902-0 XF45, and many more. The vast majority of all the others that were to follow we're exquisite.

In time I met dozens of other great people, submitted my raw coins for grading and sold off all the problem coins. In the process I met countless "mentors", friends and people far more experienced than me. I learned so much. This has helped evolve my taste in coins, sharpened my eye, helped control impulse buying - buying with a purpose and not just filling dates in. I've learned patience is one of the best attributes of a savvy collector. In time, the right coin (maybe if lucky at the right price) will eventually come along. Some of my best coins have been found almost by mistake! My current 98-0 quarter in 58 was on a website I check infrequently. One day there it was - offered at $600! Just prior to locating that coin, I came very close to buying several 1898-0 in grades of VF25 or 30 for half the money. They were available - but I didnt Love them. I didnt "Have to have them". I can't tell you how many times I settled for a lesser grade or lesser quality coin only to have the "right" coin appear shortly thereafter. This is a slippery slope I am on so please let me be clear, and this is just my style. I will never sit back for years passing on very nice original XF coins or AU50/53 coins because ideally I want a 55 or 58. I will almost always buy a coin in a lower grade with the intention/hope of a future upgrade IF I LIKE THE COIN. I've been looking for many of the middle S and O mint quarters for about a year now. Ideally they'd be AU, but these coins are simply not around much! In the past month I have found a gorgeous original album toned 1902-0 XF45 from Brian Greer - I LOVE this coin. If I find an AU, I WON'T sell this one. JJ Teaparty had a terrific 1902-S in 40 up on their site a few weeks ago. I scooped it up! Maybe ill get lucky and find an AU some day. But I will not sit back and let these beautiful, RARE pieces slip through my fingers. That's not how I collect. My preference. Others may and that is OK if that works for you! That's just not for me.. We all have our own approach, gosls and budget. Thats what makes this hobby so great! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Eye appeal, is individualistic by nature. Granted, many people will agree a certain coin is beautiful as we agree a certain girl is beautiful. For those who feel I am not being frugle as reselling incurs exoense, for ME, if and when I do resell when I upgrade and even if I take a loss in sellers fees, or if I over pay of the market softens, the privilege of being custodian for that time is usually worth it to ME. This is WHY I collect.

Eventually I upgraded those pasty dipped 94-0 and 98-P (the current 94-0 is a highlight coin; a knockout AU58 teeming with luster and one of the sharpest strikes I've seen. The current 98 is a darker toned AU53).. I have been constantly tweaking and upgrading. There are maybe 10 high priority coins I want to upgrade; and upgrade could be the same grade just better eye appeal. While my set is a little all over the place - XF and AU, the goal is to have original coins with eye appeal. A lot of people enjoy the challenge of an evenly matched set. My goal is all quality coins with eye appeal; pizzazz .. Most are toned. Some are crusty. A few are flashy. Some have been wiped of cleaned and a few are improperly graded. I wish to in time eliminate the latter and eventually have all quality coins high on eye appeal. If that means my 94-0 is brilliant, highly lustrous and brilliant (one of a few mostly white coins I have) followed by a richly toned 1895, that's Aok by me.

At this time if year we give thanks. And this is my story of thanks to the wonderful people of this hobby.
    Happy Thanksgiving All

I hope you enjoyed reading this half as much as I enjoyed sharing my feelings

Scott
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Scott what a great post. Thank you for sharing the process and evolution of your collection. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

You just never know when something will show up along the way in our hobby. The fun of the hunt is always one of the pleasures of numismatics! image

Congratulations on your set. I know when I had my set of halves a few years back it was the same. Some were PL, some were toned, and I wound up buying a coin because I liked something about it. Trying to match everything while a noble goal in a high AU or MS set is very difficult. It's a challenge in a circ VF or XF set but slightly more doable.

Thanks again.

Nice pickups MFH!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!

Glenn

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing, Scott. I enjoyed reading that.
  • Options
    Very nice dimes you added Mike - every one looks spectacular. Congrats on the wins of the newps ... Thanks for the feedback. Please excuse the typos .. I started that on my iPhone while playing 7 card stud at Foxwoods last night .. Needed something to do with all the time I had as I folded after the first 3 cards about 97% of the time !! Redefining card dead .. Somehow still managed to walk away winning a few bucks. Like numismatics, patience, patience, patience. A few hidden full houses with some chasers and loose cannons will offset hours of losing your ante.

I have been a poker player for much of my life but grew up playing 7 card stud .. With all the new generation of Hold-Em players, it is hard to find a game..

So the 1904-S Half arrived at Fed-Ex this morning and I was extremely pleased with the coin. Coin in hand is always different from the images. This beautiful 40 is an exemplary coin that defines a true XF40. In my opinion, this coin has "The Look" as so many reference. I have done my best to capture that look. There is actually plenty of luster remaining, the pix don't really capture it properly. There is darker toning around the rim and around the stars and portrait. The toning extends into the forehead and on the Liberty so it is a little difficult to see that Liberty is bold and full with complete upper band and 80-90% of the lower band. The reverse wings are full to the tips although slightly weak on the eagle's right (left facing). The toning is not as dark on the reverse. There are no wipe lines or any other major distractions (or even minor distractions other than a very small bag mark on the tip of the nose on Ms. Liberty. The stars show 6 sided separation on 11 out of 13. I have uploaded several pix to capture various areas and at different angles. Feedback is welcomed ... Next year I plan on having the collection professionally imaged and I will be sending in the best coins for CAC approval. While this may be a lofty expectation, I will go on a thin limb and say I will be shocked if the 92-TDR 58 is not gold stickered. I am that confident of that coin. All the rest are up for grabs barring a select dozen or so that I would fully expect to make the grade. Without further ado, here it is, the 73rd coin acquired 11/21/2012 and completion of the EM Barber Half Set in XF/AU (two VF35 coins not withstanding: 1896-O and a pesky 1913-S):

imageimage

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file