Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe - Nice original dime on the end of that badge.

Dennis - An 'O' mint quarter collection in XF/AU would be no easy task. Have you got another 09-O?

Type2 - What a beautiful cameo dime. Pics let me guess PR-68?

Here's my last barber newp from Baltimore. To me, as good as a circ coin can get.
    I would pay some awfully big bucks for an 01-S quarter in this condition.

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    As nice back to back coins as I've ever seen on the Barber Mega Thread. Thanks for posting Type2 and Vern!

Doug
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern
    Your 1901-O Quarter is the almost perfect collector coin ...Strong in the middle on both sides (somewhat unusual on an 01-O), with a very nice look. On today's scene it has to be, at least a 50. Mike's 15-S Half has the same good qualities and is a very nice 53. Congrats!!

• SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    This might be the nicest VG-10 I have seen ..

The Liberty is not only full, it is hardly weak. Must have been downgraded to VG-10 for the weak and more worn reverse.PCGS VG10
    imageimage
    Vern - those are all really nice additions. Is that Harry's old 01-S Half? Appears to be a lot nicer than his present AU50 for sale. I agree that raw 01-O quarter is in the AU53 range. Looks quite lustrous and the strike is great. A real beauty for sure. One of the nicest 01-O's I have seen.

A new addition (one of two high end additions recently). I am quite sure many of you have seen this image at some point in the past. The image is obviously not mine. I will reveal the source (I seriously doubt I have to) in a day or two if it hasn't been publicized by then.

The other new addition has less than 50% of a pop report for the same grade. I consider them to be equally scarce although the 2007 survey shows this as R-5 and the other coin R-4.

The PCGS pop of this coin is in the mid teens while the other coin is much less than 10

** Edit to add, I think the pop reports are backwards and that the 93-S in AU is closer to R4 and the "other" coin, not yet revealed is R5

imageimage
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Good lord, what a cherry 93-s. Even if that was a 15-s it would be something special.

Vern had a great Baltimore as well. The 01-s is perfect. Having somewhat recently relieved myself of a decent PC53 of that date, I'm envious.
    (And yes, the 09-o is already among my burgeoning quarter short set, thankfully, via fortunate horse-trades.)
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This might be the nicest VG-10 I have seen ..

The Liberty is not only full, it is hardly weak. Must have been downgraded to VG-10 for the weak and more worn reverse.PCGS VG10 >>

Scott,

I saw that coin earlier today and thought the same thing, clearly the coin has at least F12 details if not F15. Maybe a net grade because of the unattractive toning?

Doug
    Scott - Maybe that 09-O only graded VG10 as the reverse is very soft in the center. Like the coin wasn't flat, with a bulge in the center that caused the reverse to wear more in its center.
    Great look on the 93-S, I know I've seen that coin somewhere, but senility is taking over and I can't remember where.
    And congrats on the other new addition as well. I'd much rather have those two, than one 04-S in AU53, at, I'm guessing, less money.

Dennis - Another 09-O quarter in XF or AU? I'm impressed.

Mike - I think it'd be worth the trip to FUN just to see your barber errors. That BCCS meeting is going to be special.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    That is the coin Mike .. I know the images are not spot on but they are quite close. The centers are very lustrous and with the album periphery toning, the coin has off the chart eye appeal.

Here is the latest acquisition (and likely the last one for some time). I did pickup an 1897 Quarter from the recent Stacks auction. AU58 but dipped and not so marvelous.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Wow ..you're a trip Mike - Is there anything you don't know about ?image

imageimage
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Mike is pretty well dialed in on anything Barber, that's why it is such a thrill to get one that he doesn't know about. Happened to me onceimage
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! Scott! If Mike's picture is accurate about that 96-S it would've been gone before you saw it! image Glenn's pic's just didn't grab me......Sorry Glenn! image
    Darrell-

ehhhhhm Mike's pix are Glenn's pix. And Glenn's pix are "my" pix.

Mike copy and pasted the pix in the reply from the images I posted. The same images I copied from Glenn's (watermark removed) posting.

And as usual, the coin is only 10x nicer in hand.

Thanks Glenn!
    imageimage
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish I had known about the 93-S being available, I would have grabbed it if I had known... Congrats !!!! >>

I'll let the cat out of the bag. Scott got the '93-S from me. After looking over his Registry Set and seeing the "XF45" example he had... well, I decided to offer it to him first. Now if Scott had passed on it... Mike, I would have contacted you next. I knew you had a very nice AU53 that you got from Liz about a year ago, so that's the main reason I talked to Scott first. He seemed more in need of a beautiful piece to replace his then-current example.

Mike knows how crazy I am about the '93-S date... it's my favorite date in the series, and at one time I had a small hoard of around 7 or 8 original, uncleaned AU examples. So I am very happy that the new caretaker of my (and Mike's old) AU58 is a fellow Barber fanatic.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Scott! If Mike's picture is accurate about that 96-S it would've been gone before you saw it! Glenn's pic's just didn't grab me......Sorry Glenn!

It's ok I am still working on improving my photos. And as I recall, the coin view in hand view is close to Mike's pic but not quite that rich of color so somewhere in between. Nonetheless I would always prefer to understate a bit in the photos and have the new owner be happy with it in hand. I could have done a lot better then that though! Looking at it on here it doesn't grab me either. image More work to do on photos. LOL

Love the 93-S by the way. And Cary I thought you had cornered the market on 93-S's. image I can only buy raw ones and get them graded with you around! Joking.

I'm glad Scott had the opportunity. He's putting together a very nice set! image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Glenn, my 93-S market cornering days are over. image

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    Some nice 93's!!!!!!

Ken
    I just noticed something hilarious to me! I was removing a couple of coins from my registry and noticed PCGS has lowered the value on many AU58's. The 1 that caught my eye was the 1900-S 1/2. Heritage just sold a 58 for more than 4 times the PCGS Guide!
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, 58's are a different game altogether.
    1900-s only tied for 25th scarcest in the set in 58, and it brings 63 money?
    I mean, good for the hobby and all, but I'm not sure where this is going.
    I sit back and watch as a fan. image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite a 58, but here's an 00-S I bought from Glenn (formerly Mike's) a few years ago

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, 58's are a different game altogether.
    1900-s only tied for 25th scarcest in the set in 58, and it brings 63 money? >>

Isn't this one of the Phillipine hoard dates?
    Yes, I guess AU58's in PC holders are a different game, and one I can't afford to play in.
    I picked up a decent lightly toned raw 00-S, I estimate as AU53, last summer for around $325.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pls post your images of the AU 53 raw 1900-S Half... Would love to see them. >>

I have a lot of coins I need to photograph one of these days, Mike.....including a real heartbreaker that came from the same set;
    an 05-O half in AU, that was unfortunately cleaned on the obverse. Still for XF Greysheet money, I couldn't pass it up.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice scores Fade! image

Mike, Good to see you posting and building up the collection. I'm still quietly working the quarters, although have been buying more Bust material of late. I like her too ... a fabulous coin ... still only have the three that had been yours (I have the P55 09-O and the P58 10-S), and still love 'em all, but in many ways this one is my favorite. image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Price guides are for weenies.
    Todd - Really nice 1900-S, strong strike good look, can't be any less than a 55.

Fade - Nice finds, perseverance pays off.

Justin- Couldn't agree more. There is no substitute for the open market (i.e. auction results), for the true value of coins.

Was at a small show yesterday, no barbers for me, but did pick up a nice 1890 Indian Cent. Maybe next time.

-----------
    Vern

Vern
    l
    I think from the pic's of the 1900-S PCGS would hold that coin back to a 53 because of the toning so many of us addore!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Nice buys on the dimes Mike. What exactly does wrong certificate number mean? Will the coin need to be reholdered?
    ..."and it's lost somewhere amongst my numerous hiding places"

LOL ...I wonder where! (Sorry about laughing) With such a small collection, I am positive that you will find it. image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Or like 10-S dimes...image
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • My newest NEWP amazing toning and a bear to image!

Joe- beautiful dime. I love the toning. Great look

Mike - My present 96-S is the same coin as in the Elbesaar Collection. I'm honored to have 2 fine pieces (1893-S) from such a prestigious provenance!

imageimage
    Here's an off the wall question, stemming off of Mike's remarks. Is it kosher to put a former owner in the description in your registry set? Or should you ask permission first?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I would like nothing more than to give credit to the previous owners of some of the coins that I own. But maybe some of the previous owners would rather stay anonymous. I don't want to step on toes. I think I inadvertently answered my own question.
    Mike

Srack's ? Heritage ?

Dr. Pete collects on the ultra-high end of the coin spectrum where provenance adds to the "mystique" of some of the coins, and in some cases can really add value to the pieces. For those us who collect in the middle grades, provenance really doesn't mean much to be honest. Personally I couldn't care less who owned a specific mid-grade coin as it doesn't affect the value of it or my enjoyment of it. Maybe it's a neat "novelty" fact, but in reality it's not all that important. I realize that's a personal opinion and not everyone shares it.

You just need to decide if you think the info is important to YOU. After all, it's your collection and you should display it in a way that YOU like. If you like the idea of provenance, display it.
  • CazkaboomCazkaboom Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    New To Collectors Universe, but I belong to a few other forums. I figured I would share some of my barbers with you all.

~Caz
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late to the party...Mike's 96-S half was making all my 20's and 30's look bad. I'm glad it found a nice home.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
    Rumor has it that 96-S in 58 was your coin Leon.

Lot of nice stuff coming up at Heritage. But alas, the cupboard is bareimage

Like this
    Or this
    Or this
    Love the look of this
    And really like this look

I purposefully left a few others of the list.image
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file