Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keyman - really like the dime.

Mike - look forward to seeing pics of the newps.

CoinZip - really nice orig half.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Keyman - really like the dime.

Mike - look forward to seeing pics of the newps.

CoinZip - really nice orig half.

------------
    Vern >>

Thanks Vern!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of great additions, Mike, but that 99-O is a stunner IMO.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Keyman - that is a terrific looking dime - incredible luster

Mike - Very nice pickups - a lot of strong prices on the FUN coins - Not just Barbers but all series. That is a hammered 99-O for sure. Nice look and well worth the premium. I had that and the 14-P in 55 on my radar .. already having the 99-O in a nice 53 was the trump card to back off - the stakes got too rich for my blood at $700+ before the live event image

Not having the chance to view in person, I bid on only 2 and won the former - the NGC AU58 1895-O Quarter ($411 with the BP) and the 1899-S NGC AU53; outbid in the Live .. I liked the look a lot of the latter. Came close to bidding the 1892-S NGC 58 but already have a couple 92-S (I agree with Lenny R on the 92-S being a bit over rated and available - certainly scarce - just .... available). Gail Watson had called me from FUN - wanted to know if I wanted their 09-O Quarter in 45 but passed even at $1895 as it looked dipped out. I liked their 30 better but it had already sold. I had them send me the 99-O Quarter in 55 and the 1903 XF45 on approval .. They also had a 55 1903 but that also looked dipped whereas the 45 looked really original - we shall see tomorrow

Too many nice coins coming up in the next sale and a couple on eBay - wanted to save some dry powder

I am sure there are oodles of newps soon to be displayed

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I say this out of total respect, but maybe having your set public when you are still trying to fill spots or upgrade is not the best idea? It may bring unwanted attention or money loss.
    I hear you there Mike - I was fortunate enough to scoop up a 94-O from TT 6-8 months ago and it was one of the nicest coins I presently have; right behind your old 93-S. Incredibly lustrous and 100% original.

Justin - If that was directed towards me; I don't think people look at my set and see a few open holes and bid up those coins ... Not counting upgrades, of which every coin is a candidate (halves and quarters), aside from "the big three troika and the 09-O", there are only 6 holes in the set and three are R-1 being the 16-D, 1904 and 1906. I did bid the 96-S in 55 after consulting with Walt .. It didn't sell for as much as I thought, but that reflected the quality

The FUN show has always brought the strongest bids historically. There were not a lot of coins that would have plugged holes. The action was fast and furious all the way around from colonials to ancients to classic gold to moderns .. Just the nature of the beast. Either way, it's good to see healthy action supporting the hobby
    imageimage

<< <i>I hear you there Mike - I was fortunate enough to scoop up a 94-O from TT 6-8 months ago and it was one of the nicest coins I presently have; right behind your old 93-S. Incredibly lustrous and 100% original.

Justin - If that was directed towards me; I don't think people look at my set and see a few open holes and bid up those coins ... The FUN show has always brought the strongest bids historically. There were not a lot of coins that would have plugged holes. The action was fast and furious all the way around from colonials to ancients to classic gold to moderns .. Just the nature of the beast. Either way, it's good to see healthy action supporting the hobby >>

It was not directed at anyone. I just think among rivals, sometimes heated bidding can be a bit over exaggerated by letting your needs known.

<< <i>It was not directed at anyone. I just think among rivals, sometimes heated bidding can be a bit over exaggerated by letting your needs known. >>

You're probably right image.. But as the cat is out of the bag, and since every coin is an upgrade potential I just decide what the upper limit of the coin is worth and do my best to restrain myself from going over my upper end ... For the super nice coins - one shot at it type coins, you have to decide if you're all in or all out quickly. Something I have only recently had the courage of my convictions to commit to
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    When the 09-O quarters were listed by JJT, I had to recheck my email .. another collector had sent me an email about a month ago - He had a really nice under graded 09-O quarter in 45 he was closing in on upgrading to an AU and asked me if I was interested in .. The ask price was well over $2k (closer to $2500) .. That made me think JJT was not only in the ball park, but very reasonable. Of course the price is reflected in the quality. Whether that was by design or not I will never know. Based on some of their other asks I would guess not, but could easily be wrong.. I came really close to pulling the trigger simply because this coin just isn't out there. I was fully confident I could get out from under it easily enough at that price. I did decide not to buy the coin (and it sold almost immediately - if not while I was debating making it all a moot point)

Not really having much to go by (historically), I had no idea if the price was "reasonable". what is reasonable? For a coin that so seldom becomes available and even more seldom (bad English I know - more seldom) in grades above F, there is very little to go by. Even if you check the last 10 years you find very few examples - and the quality is a vast range as is the supply & demand levels, market, etc. It really is completely dictated by "what is it worth the seller to sell the coin and what is it worth the buyer to buy the coin" .. This is true in all respects of any supply/demand market at the most primitive levels, but this is virtually a unique situation.

The same is true at the other end of the scale is selling a very nice coin that is not worth a lot. The seller has to decide if the fair market value of a coin warrants a sale (i.e. do you want the money or the coin). Example: I sold a leathery skinned all original 1898-S Quarter in VF30 for $80 or a 99-S in VF35 for $120 .. The fair value of $120 made it tempting to keep the coins as they are very difficult to replace whereas the hundred bucks, especially in today's age is nothing but a tank of gas image... It is all decisions, decisions, decisions -- at all levels.
    imageimage

<< <i>When the 09-O quarters were listed by JJT, I had to recheck my email .. another collector had sent me an email about a month ago - He had a really nice under graded 09-O quarter he was closing in on upgrading to an AU and asked me if I was interested in .. The ask price was well over $2k (closer to $2500) .. That made me think JJT was not only in the ball park, but very reasonable. Of course the price is reflected in the quality. Whether that was by design or not I will never know. Based on some of their other asks I would guess not, but could easily be wrong.. I came really close to pulling the trigger simply because this coin just isn't out there. I was fully confident I could get out from under it easily enough at that price. I did decide not to buy the coin (and it sold almost immediately - if not while I was debating making it all a moot point)

Not really having much to go by (historically), I had no idea if the price was "reasonable". what is reasonable? For a coin that so seldom becomes available and even more seldom (bad English I know - more seldom) in grades above F, there is very little to go by. Even if you check the last 10 years you find very few examples - and the quality is a vast range as is the supply & demand levels, market, etc. It really is completely dictated by "what is it worth the seller to sell the coin and what is it worth the buyer to buy the coin" .. This is true in all respects of any supply/demand market at the most primitive levels, but this is virtually a unique situation.

The same is true at the other end of the scale is selling a very nice coin that is not worth a lot. The seller has to decide if the fair market value of a coin warrants a sale (i.e. do you want the money or the coin). Example: I sold a leathery skinned all original 1898-S Quarter in VF30 for $80 or a 99-S in VF35 for $120 .. The fair value of $120 made it tempting to keep the coins as they are very difficult to replace whereas the hundred bucks, especially in today's age is nothing but a tank of gas image... It is all decisions, decisions, decisions -- at all levels. >>

You sold the 99-S way too cheap! Now I have to finish a quarter set!

<< <i> You sold the 99-S way too cheap! Now I have to finish a quarter set! >>

I always sell them on the forum way too cheap ... I didnt even factor in my grading fees on that batch of quarters. even the 92-S 35 I sold to Cuda was at $235. One just sold in VF30 for $350-$375 on the bay - It was listed and sold within 12 hours I think. I believe there is another VF35 on eBay listed at over $500..?? It is certainly nicer than the one I sold. The coin I sold to Cuda was quite nice also though ....100% original and had the circ cameo look... Wonder what he did with that coin when he bought his AU58...

I am not here to make money. Of course I like anyone would like to maximize when I can, but I would much rather see the coins land in the laps of fellow collectors, particularly those I have meld relationships with on the forums. I think I discounted my last sale by $10 but I could be wrong image

If I can sell it for what I have in it, to me that is a bonus. In general I expect to lose 10-20% on everything I buy. Breaking even is a win in my eyes. Unless you're dealing in coins, I think it would be very difficult to offset the retail premium and the beat the fees and taxes associated with selling.
    imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i> You sold the 99-S way too cheap! Now I have to finish a quarter set! >>

I always sell them on the forum way too cheap ... I didnt even factor in my grading fees on that batch of quarters. even the 92-S 35 I sold to Cuda was at $235. One just sold in VF30 for $350-$375 on the bay - It was listed and sold within 12 hours I think. I believe there is another VF35 on eBay listed at over $500..?? It is certainly nicer than the one I sold. The coin I sold to Cuda was quite nice also though ....100% original and had the circ cameo look... Wonder what he did with that coin when he bought his AU58...

I am not here to make money. Of course I like anyone would like to maximize when I can, but I would much rather see the coins land in the laps of fellow collectors, particularly those I have meld relationships with on the forums. I think I discounted my last sale by $10 but I could be wrong image

If I can sell it for what I have in it, to me that is a bonus. In general I expect to lose 10-20% on everything I buy. Breaking even is a win in my eyes. Unless you're dealing in coins, I think it would be very difficult to offset the retail premium and the beat the fees and taxes associated with selling. >>

Although I am 99% sure you are being facetious about the 92-S, I have it now. image
    Justin- I had no idea you got it from him (although that would make sense) .. Few more coins from me and you could name that set Beantown Barbers II image - When the 95-O NGC58 is crossed (if it crosses that is), my 95-O will be available. It's a typical mushy 95-O although for a VF-30 it has luster and is natural. Just not quite the same pizzazz as the other VF coins. Truthfully, I liked some of the VF coins better than there replacements, especially the 93-S.

There is one coin coming to auction that would be a home run if I can secure it. The only clue I will give is it is an upgrade and not a hole filler.

The recent 97-S 45 in the OGH sold for $1000 + the juice ($1175). Gail wanted $1550 for her AU55. I couldn't dial the 10 numbers before that coin sold ... Although I am not convinced that was 100% original either. Then again the Heritage 45 looked a little pasty too .. I confess I did bid $875 on that coin when Heritage Live opened - I was actually glad to have been outbid ... quickly

JJT sold a lot of their Richmond collection coins at FUN - Congrats to Liz, Miles, Gail and the whole team - Nice job image
    imageimage
    Very interesting thoughts on the pros and cons of publishing an almost complete set. I think the benefits in making contact with other like-minded collectors outweighs any negatives. But if I were putting together a Duckor type top pop set with unlimited resources, I wouldn't let anybody know what I needed except friends/dealers I could trust.

Mike - Those are some choice new acquisitions, congrats. I especially like the 1913 dime and the 1898 half.

And, my opinion of the key date quarter sales in Heritage's FUN auction is that even though neither the 96-S in PCGS-55 or the 01-S in XF-45 looked nice or original, the 96-S went too high and the 01-S went very cheap.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    I agree Vern (about the pros and cons of listing sets publicly or keeping them private) .. I actually meant to include that in the counter argument myself. I thought of it after but was already in bed watching a movie .. far too unmotivated to edit a post.

I also agree with you on the prices of the 96-S and 01-S 25c. I did have a max bid of $7k on the 96-S quarter only because I may not see another for years and for that $$, I felt the downside risk was small.

Mike can add another quality Box of 20 just from FUN image
    imageimage
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern,

Even after you and I talked about the 01-s quarter not looking original, I just had to make sure, Wasn't about to let one in this grade range get out from under me. I had a barber ace review the coin for me and yes it was a turd, cleaned and shiny, looked nothing like the catalog photo. Even he commented to me as he looked thru the catalog thinking it would be decent only to see it in person.

price was low as it should have been.

jim

I did not re view the 96-s, as I was not interested in acquiring it.
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Found this a couple of weeks ago, arrived in today's mail

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    Nice quarter Mike. The 93-S F-15 is visible with the link

Ken
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 92-s looks a whole lot better than a 55. What is wrong with it?
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, Im new to Barbers. What your opinion on my new addition?
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion of that '92 dime is "very nice!"......gradewise, looks to be a few slide marks on the cheeks, and luster muted, so
    I'll WAG AU58, though the color may carry it to low MS grade.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey guys, Im new to Barbers. What your opinion on my new addition?
    image >>

Hard to judge luster from the photos, I'll say MS63-64.

Doug
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread makes me (actually my wallet) glad I only collect halves and that I'm done. Although coins like that 99-O Mike posted make me waffle when I see them for sale. Must not upgrade...must not upgrade...must no..........................
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
    Went to a local coin show today. A small venue put on by the Baltimore Area Numismatic Coalition. Arrived about 20 minutes after the doors opened. There were maybe tops 12 dealers there. It seemed a lot less crowded and there seemed to be a lot less dealers than in the fall.

I did my first tour around just glancing in cases/folders etc. I spotted a nice VF half an noted it for further inspection. On my second go around I asked if they had any VF halves. I either got the quick no, or the laugh like I'm crazy and then the no.

During a conversation with one dealer, he noted about a collection that was put on display at the New Market show a few years back. I'm assuming this was tombr's set. it seems to be around the right time and the same venue michaeldixon was talking about in another thread.

Anyways, speaking with the same dealer I noticed he had an 1804 large cent just sitting on his cabinet. My friend said to the dealer it might be wise if he put it back in his case. He chuckled a bit and showed us how it was a pizza pie stand that had the coin pinned up against the glass. He told us how he was at an all dealer show and walked away from his table with the "bait" planted. Three different dealers in an hour had tried to swipe the coin up as they were passing his table! It definitely had me fooled when I first saw it.

Moving on, I went to the VF Barber I spotted earlier. A nice 1906P half. A darker obverse, but I find it very attractive. I purchased it confident it is a VF20 and it is a nice addition to my set.

Baltimore? Sorry but their season ends in about 7 hours image
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>Baltimore? Sorry but their season ends in about 7 hours image >>

I'm no Ravens fan, but I found this post very interesting. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I'm sure he's busy trashing all his Patriots stuff right now. image
    Justin - Nice original '06.

I was at a coin auction Saturday that included most of the semi-keys of somebody's XF-AU barber quarter collection. Unfortunately, all were cleaned to some degree. My only acquisition was an 1860-O seated dollar in F-VF, didn't want to leave without something.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    Hope you post pictures of it, Vern. I personally would love to see it.
    I had told Liz Coggan in a series of email that if I were a betting man I would have refinanced my house and emptied the bank and taken the 9 points .. I actually didn't have a lot of faith in the Pats.. Brady was 10-0 in the playoffs to start his career ..... the days when he was NOT the best player on the team .. Those teams were nasty and all about team and D ... Kind of like Baltimore today. The Pats were 15 point dogs against Kordell Stewart's Steelers and they went down at home to the Pats ... That was followed up with the Pats dismantling the greatest show on turf - another game they were a 2 TD dog. Ever since they turned into a modern day Colts team (14-2 regular season and all finesse) .. they became .. well.. the Colts.

Brady has not had back to back good games, let alone great games since 2004. In 2006 after beating the Jets easily in the WC round, they barely beat San Diego (a game Brady threw 3 picks in and the Pats won 21-12 - a game won by .... the D) they followed that game up with a loss to Indy and played horribly. In 2007 they beat Jacksonville convincingly, got by San Diego 21-12 then got crushed by the Giants. He is 7-7 (or 7-8 now) since the 10-0 start

The team with the most emotion, grit, and balls wins. As much as I can't stand Ray Lewis and all his drama when he announced his retirement, it was the smartest move he/they made ...

That and the fact that he should be in jail for murder ... even though God is on his side and watching out for what is right ....... Tell that to the family of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar and see if they agree
    imageimage
    Scott - I agree, a little bit of Ray Lewis and his crying to god goes a long way. But the NFL is willing to market anything.

Justin - I don't know how to post a link, so I started a thread in the forum with my new seated dollar.

If anyone would PM with how to post a link, I would appreciate it

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I haven't been around in a while, I forgot all about this thread...

and link....

and, well, took a long nap apparently.

I'll post some newbies soon.

Frank

BHNC #203

I am not sure if I ever posted this one:

Frank

BHNC #203

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Thanks, Mike.

I really like those 1914's.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest purchase. I was so excited by it. Too bad I couldnt get better photos out of my phone camera. Ill try again later! The strike is super strong!!!
    That looks like a great Lib Nic!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - those images look like something I would post image
    I'm betting it looks super, and you will do it proper justice when you get the chance.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    The 99-O dime is a nice R-5 coin. Congratulations
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Great dime Mike, I love the toning
    +1 on that 16-S dime's toning - really attractive .. The dimes must be nearing completion Mike - WTG

That is a creamy and gorgeous 14-P Frank - really love it - I bet it looks amazing in hand - Great coin !!

Justin - you're cruising in the left lane lately. Really shifted into high gear with your pickups lately - a beautiful bunch of dirty and extremely appealing half dollars - Very exciting

Vern - I saw your 60-O Dollar on the forum post - what an amazing coin - those surfaces are completely unmessed with. I don't know a lot about seated dollars. I do know a lot of them are dipped or cleaned. Nice score !!

Upgraded my 99-O Quarter to 55 courtesy of Liz. This replaces a very nice original XF40 - I have a NGC AU58 1895-O I am hoping to cross - It appears it should as it is really nice and appears "all there".

You (plural) may have seen JJT's selections at FUN. They had two 99-O Quarters - a 58 and a 55. I liked the original look of the 55 better than the 58, but of course I could only go by their images. The 58 was frosty and brilliant and often it's hard to distinguish original mint frost blast white from the other shades of white ... Anyway, I really liked the color, subtle golden grey toning and pure originality of this coin so here it is:

imageimage

Working on closing out a couple other semi key AU quarters over the next week or two
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file