Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I finished my half set and consigned my dups to Glenn to help me finish my 50-piece commem set. Seems like treason to trade Barbers for commems, but what the...image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    So, cazkaboom, welcome to the forum and this barber thread.
    Those are some fierce images you've got posted. Never has been my strong suit to photograph my coins correctly, for which I've appologized often, so props.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • CazkaboomCazkaboom Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, cazkaboom, welcome to the forum and this barber thread.
    Those are some fierce images you've got posted. Never has been my strong suit to photograph my coins correctly, for which I've appologized often, so props. >>

Thanks for the welcome and compliments! Numismatic Photography is one of my other hobbies

<< <i>Cazkaboom,

Sorry for not saying hello sooner ! >>

No problem, Mike. Thanks for the welcome.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike & Joe - Nice acquisitions.

Caz - Welcome, very good skill with those pics.

Scott - That first one you listed at Heritage had my hopes up, until they put up the pics in the slab. Still, one I haven't seen before. The quest continues.

Darrell - Walt's big pry bar arrived today. He has some leverage on me now.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    I have learned not to trust Heritage' imaging when it comes to trying to detect subtle things like true surface color (dipped vs. original) unless it is egregiously obvious. I have been surprised (good and bad) too many times in the past.
    imageimage
    Scott - Most of the time Heritage's closeup pics give no indication of the color of the coin. They must do it to show all the flaws. The pics in the slab are what I use to try to guess what the coin looks like.

Here's my latest newp. Another one of the very few dates I would buy in 64.

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    Beautiful coin Vern. I agree with your assessment of the Heritage images.

TNFC has a very nice looking 08-S in 64 on their website for $1850 about 3-4 months ago. I was contemplating buying it ... A week or two later they listed it on eBay and Tom Smith (Key Date Rare Coins) snapped it up. He promptly re-listed it for $2500!

Price was right and the coin looked really nice. I have bought a couple Barber 25c from them in the past and always liked them. My 98-O came from their website ($625)
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike - Sounds like someone had access to our host's conservation services, before they become available to the general public, on your 97-S dime. They must have thought it would 58, if it was white.
    .......................hmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

-------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern, another great looking coin.

Hi Caz, and welcome!

Even though I hate following up Vern with my own piddly VF coins, here is a new pickup. I liked this coin enough to add to my date set on Sunday. Common as dirt but what the heck. A bit darker in hand. Just the way I like em. DK's photos.

• PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Vern and Justin nice looking 08-S and 12-P. I like em in all grades at all levels of collecting. image

Caz welcome to the boards.

Mike you just keep rolling along.... image

Last 4 days of my vacation, on the big Island and looking forward to looking at the East Rift zone of Kileaua tomorrow night where the flow reaches the ocean. Then Saturday heading up to the crater which has a lava lake in part of the caldera you can see from the Volcano House. It's been awhile since that's taken place.

A friend who's picture I took yesterday on the Kona Side of Hawaii.

He was about 3.5-4 inches across leg to leg diagonally. Awesome web and it looks like added supports along it's legs. Really cool spider and totally not coin related but I thought it was cool anyway to share! I liked the black lave flow background.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Justin - That's a beauty sir (looks like one of those 35 borderline 40s to me) with the perfect eye appeal. As nice in hand or nicer?

Hyperbole of the highest order - everything is relative. What if someone were to post their 94-S dime? The whole forum would be reduced to common as dirt and piddly "nickels and dimes"

Original VF Barber Halves are far from common and your eye for quality is top shelf.

Plus I bet your bank account is healthier than mineimage
    imageimage

<< <i>Justin - That's a beauty sir (looks like one of those 35 borderline 40s to me) with the perfect eye appeal. As nice in hand or nicer?

Hyperbole of the highest order - everything is relative. What if someone were to post their 94-S dime? The whole forum would be reduced to common as dirt and piddly "nickels and dimes"

Original VF Barber Halves are far from common and your eye for quality is top shelf.

Plus I bet your bank account is healthier than mineimage >>

Scott, it's in a 30 holder. Which I agree with. It's a bit soft on the obverse for a 35 for my taste. I wouldn't argue 35 on the reverse. My comment about piddly was tongue in cheek. I like the coins I buy, I just like Vern's more! image And yes, nicer in hand. I like a deep dark toned VF, and this coin meets it in hand. I was a bit worried it would be light based on the photo's but I was much surprised on arrival. Thank you for the comments.

Glenn, if I saw that thing, I would be in another county! image
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    A nice upgrade for the quarter set freshly graded from PCGS

• PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Justin, I used my iPhone zoom so I was at a safe distance.

Joe GREAT PHOTOS sir!!!!

I would hazard a guess on that 09-O quarter but I know the grade so I can't. image

She is a nice addition to the quarters!

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    You sure as heck don't see many 09-O's that look like that. I think detail wise, a 40 wouldn't be out of the question, but deep original color like that turns off PCGS for some stupid reason so I am at 35. Great coin!
    That is a perfect looking 09-O.

I think with that strike and full feather and shield detail on the reverse, and the forehead hair and the overall sharpness and rounded details I would say that coin is a min of XF40. The toning makes it a little tougher to see how much luster there is but the reverse appears to have a fair amount and with the crusty fields on the obverse I would venture there is some luster under the crust. That coin resembles my 96-P Half in a lot of ways, just a little more wear which leads me to guess XF40

Of course Walt's 09-O, graded 45 looks like it is a solid AU53 so maybe I am wrong. I know they are very conservative grading that date. I say XF40

Quarters seem to be a little tougher from my experience being a little smaller coin. The present range of VF to AU grades and tones just in my collection has led me to realize just how slim the margin can be in between grades.

Darrell's XF 45 (PCGS 35) 92-S comes to mind too

Did I say inconsistent?
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    So much for conservative grading lately: XF40?

I can understand when coins are 5 points one way or the other but in cases like this where the grade is at least double the true grade it has to make you wonder. Turnover in the grading room and multiple graders just not familiar with the series? Inexplicable to me

Be interesting to see where that auction closes at.
    imageimage
    Sweet 09-o. Over the "hump" and safely separated from the VF hoards with that one. Congrats!
    Funny eBay 11-s indeed. What happened?
    :/
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Turnover in the grading room and multiple graders just not familiar with the series? >>

I'm not sure about turnover in the grading room, but my first thought was did they even turn over this coin?
    There are areas on the rev where the rim is practically merged with the field, along with no shield detail, and an incomplete motto.
    And this coin is graded higher than Joe's 09-O quarter? Granted different series, but come on! I better stop here before I get in trouble
    with the hosts.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • The 09-O quarter came in at VF-35. It's a bit dark on the obverse which I believe made the 35. There is underlying luster on both sides, a great skin on the obverse and the reverse is beautiful. A great addition to my set.

Glenn found it for me while in Hawaii. He said something about a metal detector and the beachimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Justin - I'd never throw that '12 half out of bed, perfect look.

Joe - Congrats on the 09-O, 35 or 40 doesn't make much difference, it's a tough coin in that range. And next month they'll slab it a 45.

Glenn - Great decision, send the nice coins to the mainland, leave the spiders in Hawaii.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice arachnid there Glenn. If you turned the picture 45 degrees, the web is a PLUS grade.
    Dr. Pete
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    I think this coin is tougher to locate than most think, the newest upgrade to my set. PCGS 45, nice toning and luster.

I agree. As is the 1895-P. I was very fortunate to find the 1894-P in 55 I currently have (Teletrade back in July or August). Absolutely perfect with one of the deepest strikes and nicest toning I currently have... Easily one of my favorite 4 or 5 Barber coins in my entire collection (Quarters & Halves). I still haven't found an upgrade for my current 1895 VF-35

Dave Kahn has had an XF40 on his site for a long time. Looks like the same coin I saw in 45 on eBay a couple weeks ago
    imageimage
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

I agree as well, I think the 94,95, and 96 quarters are all under-rated and tough to find nice in VF-AU grades. PM sent.

Doug
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    That looks to be one sweetly struck 02-O. image
  • sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭
    Nice!!
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    That 02-O is absolutely hammered! Worst strike date in the entire series and that one is awesome!
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
    I agree - Great 02-O Mike ..

I think the 01-O are struck worse from my experience anyway. Small sample size may skew my opinion I suppose although I have seen several of each date in XF and AU. I actually think the 00-O is nearly equally poorly struck.

Looks like an Arnie Heller photoimage
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: 09-S, considering the obverse scratches, digs, and damage, I would think your 25 has to be better, jmo. Your 02-O does show off the lousy strikes available. Nice strike on your recent purchase. I am still looking for a 01-O, good or bad strike or both - ocd.
    Did anyone happen to see/bid on this from the recent Legend auction?
    96-S Quarter AU58

I know Walt acquired a 58 several months back .. The example from this auction looks terrific. If anyone on the forum bought it - congrats - Looks like a beauty!image
    imageimage
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    I just put a couple of really nice looking tougher date mid-grade halves on the BST forum in case any of you fellow fanatics is looking for a Christmas present for yourself. image
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
    If DK keeps adding commons like this for sweet prices, no one will get anything for Christmas but me. DK's photos....

Scott - That AU58 96-S quarter is the same one Heritage sold in January 2012, and DLRC tried to sell this October. PM sent.

Cary - 02-S and 04-O, nice looking coins.

Justin - Nice half, It's a Christmas gift that keeps giving.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike - Beautiful 1906 dime. Congrats.

A few days ago, a fellow forum member and I got together and a trade ensued. I received the following two. Any thoughts on the grades?

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    nice coins Vern.

Luster on both although some usual weakness and wear. As I have so many comparable XF coins to compare to, that 95-O looks like a perfect candidate for 45 with the color, luster and amount of wear. The 98-O looks much more lustrous, has similar strike weakness. Surfaces look clean. Solid 53 I believe, although wouldn't be surprised if it was 50 or 55 .. Hard to tell AU surface quality and true luster from images

1895-O XF45
    1898-O AU53

SM
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go 53 on the 95-O and 50 on the 98-O Quarters myself...course that depends on the Pic's! image
    PCGS said 50 on both of them. The 98-O is a Cass hoard coin.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    Exceptionally nice matched pair of quarters that I'd have guessed and hoped were both 50.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file