Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sam

That's a great '99 O, and a very tough underrated coin.

Congrats.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

Really like your 99-O quarter! Very wholesome and crusty, just the way we like them.

Doug
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank - Beautiful creamy, luster on your '14 half.

Erwindoc - Good looking '95. Tougher than it's given credit for.

Mike - Nice acquisition on the very tough 99-O. And I really like the look of your 16-S. Congrats.

Scott - Stellar original 99-O quarter, with a very good strike. Great acquisition.

----------
    Vern

Barber Quarter Registry
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    Mike and Justin - Thanks for the help. It worked!!!!!!!!

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I really like the colors on that new dime!
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    I'm not a copper guy so my imaging is poor on this for which I apologize
    in advance. The medal is for the 1893 Colombian Exposition. The reverse was
    designed by Charles Barber, so it's a legitimate post for this thread. It also came
    in it's original presentation case, which appears to be aluminum.

Obverse is by Augustus Saint Gaudens (not his best work)
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Erwindoc- welcome to the forum - Meant to say that last post.. Saw your posts in the main forum thread. Happy Barber Coin collecting - Wish you lots of fun, enjoyment and success in your pursuits; whatever direction you are going.

Joe - that medal looks to be in great shape - gorgeous piece

For this evening's post, here is the NGC 1895-O in 58 I feel should cross at grade without problem .. original mint flash with tons of creamy luster and a strong strike. Some weakness on the lower right hand facing obverse stars. Not quite as strong a strike as the formerly posted 99-O but still quite nice.

Photos are improving very slightly, but still a far cry from how nice the coin looks in hand. Coin has a nice olive/golden glowing luster; white balance is off a little.
    A couple of widely scattered faint, wispy obverse lines and the most minute cheek rub signify the grade. Reverse looks fully mint state

imageimage

imageimage
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Another nice quarter.image
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Just saw a gorgeous raw 63 1901-o half at the San Jose show. Just as sweet as can be and really fun to run across.
    He said he was going to submit it at Long Beach so pop watchers take note.
    That and Beymer had his 01-s quarter in PC30 out.
    But nothing to buy, sadly. Not this time.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

<< <i>But nothing to buy, sadly. Not this time. >>

Sounds like you would have needed a suitcase of c notes - Wish I could have seen that 01-O Half ... Bet you were drooling - I know that is your favorite date

<< <i>Right you are, Scott's putting together one kick ass set of Barbers !! >>

Mike- Not to sound dramatic or like a suck up, but I have to go on a thin limb and say NO set will ever come close to your original Elbesaar Collection - That is a HELL of a set of gorgeous coins - Every single one.
    imageimage
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just saw a gorgeous raw 63 1901-o half at the San Jose show. Just as sweet as can be and really fun to run across. >>

Pretty rare coin to find raw - was there any story behind it? Had it been slabbed previously and cracked, or came out of an old
    collection? Inquiring minds want to know image

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

<< <i>

<< <i>Just saw a gorgeous raw 63 1901-o half at the San Jose show. Just as sweet as can be and really fun to run across. >>

Pretty rare coin to find raw - was there any story behind it? Had it been slabbed previously and cracked, or came out of an old
    collection? Inquiring minds want to know image >>

Didn't think to ask as I didn't have the 42 to fork over but I told him it is kind of a big deal and he seemed to be aware of that. This was a guy last year with a PC35 09-o quarter he'd made from raw and has a really nice table. It was wholesome, blazing, lightly toned and soft on the reverse as usual. Gawd I wish it was a 58, I'd have it in hand right now.
  • USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    Picked up a XF-45 for the grading set, thanks Darrell.

Have to say this is still my favorite:

• USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    Another 92-S for the collection also

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I would love to see that coin in hand. The pictures are holding the beauty of that coin back.
    Joe - Neat Colombian medal.

Scott - Bet that 95-O crosses without any problem.

Dennis - Last I knew, Beymer's only 01-S in 30 was in an NGC holder. Did it have many light marks on the neck, with light toning and spots? If so, he must have crossed it. Also, would have liked to see that 01-O half.

Ken - Nice acquisitions for a unique collection.

Mike - Real nice look on the 07-O.

Pic for the night, an 01-O half from Liz a couple years back.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    Wow - beauty 01O half - bet you're glad you picked it up a few years back!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Love that 01-O half. Nice luster and very decent strike. The eagles talons are pretty well struck, but the upper mid reverse is a little soft. The obverse is quite a strong strike given the star details and the hair. Based on your image it looks mint state, but I can be easily fooled by very nice AU58's, too. Regardless, a very nice coin.

1901-O is one of the toughest in mint state in the whole barber series, with single digit pops in all uncirculated grades at PCGS the last I checked, and probably still is given the infrequency of finding and adding new ones that get certified. Prices in MS 62-64 have been stagnant for some time, but it is a real bear of a coin to find.

Would love to see an image of the recently purchased raw 01-O half in MS63. That's a great find!

Dr. Pete

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

Very nice halves, all of them...nice color.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
    The only AU 05O half I've seen lately went to a well known forumite image
    I saw one - 97O in a VF-something PCGS holder at FUN.....the dealer was out, and his tablemate indicated he wanted a 'ton' for it, and I never got back to it.
    I recall seeing a 93P in scruffy VF+/XF also, that I wasn't interested in. Don't recall seeing any of the others on the list.

The raw 01-o half belongs to Dr. Eugene Bruder, Chico CA. Look for it at Long Beach, if he hadn't sold it already.

Vern, yours is a damn lovely coin. And come to think, the 30 01-s quarter may have been NGC.

Mike, I often wonder about that 11-s half as well. For as many Fine-VF's as we see out here, I've only picked up one in AU. It BB'd and I sold it off to Alistar Skinner years ago.
    The 13-s is kind of like that as well, but I doubt they'll ever attain much status regardless of low pops.

<< <i> 1893-P ( odd, but I have not seen one in a few years ! ) 1897-O ( tough date / key date ) 1905-O ( another well known tough date ) 1911-S ( where did they all go to in 40-53 ? ) 1913-P ( you'd think the 1914 would be scarcer ! ) >>

Interesting thoughts Mike .. And I have echoed certain coins as being extremely elusive to other collectors in recent times

* I completely agree on the 11-S Half and have researched and look the data up - all single digit pops in all AU grades ..
    * I do not agree on the 93-P, but we all have personal experiences that will fluctuate based on coins that come across our paths. The 93-P I currently have in 58 I bought from a Teletrade auction back in August. Just prior to that I had an AU50 I bought from Brian Greer only 2 months before. I also had a 40 and 45 (the 40 was also from Brian) and since then I have seen a few others. Dave Kahn also sold a 58 in the last month on eBay.
    * The 1905-O is an obvious set stopper ... The AU50 I have is not the most eye appealing coin; but I have it to "fill the hole" until a nicer coin comes along whether it comes in 45 or AU .. nothing has been found by me except the 50 I have in 2+ years of searching.
    * The 97-O I have in 40 and it was bought 2 yrs. ago from JJT in an ANACS holder. It did cross at grade. I know Harry Laibstain has had a 45 for quite some time. I won't comment on the quality or offer an opinion on the coin since I have not seen it in hand, it wouldn't be right to do so. The images look ok to me. The other 97-O was available in NGC58 in the September Heritage Auction .. We all know who had the wisdom to buy it .. It went at about 60% of market price - Amazing it sold so low.
    * 1913 - I know Glenn has a very nice 53 for sale and a very nice and frosty 55 CAC sold on Teletrade recently .. If I had the resources at the time, I would have pushed hard on that one
    * 1904-O - I located my current XF40 from Dave Kahn about 18 months ago and I know Glenn currently has another XF40 for sale now. I do not remember seeing one in any other grade except Dave Lawrence's two mint state coins; one of which I think is a 66 image

* I also agree on the 13-S Half .. Very elusive .. Low mintage as well and a sleeping sleeper not yet awoken .... Took me a long time to upgrade from 35 to 40 and I paid for it, although the coin is PQ. The same outfit sold another XF40 last week and IMO that coin was awful - spotted/covered in black spots and looked weak all the way around .. No idea how that got into a holder.. It sold in the low $200s (I paid a little over $400 for my 40) so JQP felt the same way about their most recent offering of a 13-S XF40 image .. Aside from Dave Kahn's two AU58 offerings, I have only seen one other 13-S in 40-58 the past 2 years - a lone XF45

* I would offer the following coins as also being very scarce to locate in XF/AU that don't often get mentioned in the same breath as the well known "sleepers" and sleeper sleepers .. There really are not any more sleepers - Someone woke them all up image .. But if I may add 3 "New sleepers" that are seldom mentioned in the same sentence as the sleeper semi-keys (that have recently been outed) I would say these 3 fit the bill:

1894-P
    1895-S,
    1909-S

1903, 1903-S, 1906-O and 1908-S are all honorable mentions for not getting a lot of press. I have seen but one 1895-S in XF40 to AU58 that I can remember in 2 years, the current AU50 I presently have (a coin I love - No hairlines; original glassy proof like surfaces with lots of vibrant color when tilted)

I realize those 3 (7) coins have been discussed at some point, but haven't they all? You just don't hear them mentioned nearly as much as the other "semi-keys" or sleepers. Of course none compare to the likes of the 01-O, 97-O .. but IMO they are comparable to the 1905, 1913, 13-S and 11-S and only slightly behind coins like the 97-S, 96-S
    imageimage
    A lot of good information for me to soak up here!

As far as my experience with XF/AU....I don't have much. image I collect those common as dirt VF's image
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear you Log, and I'll bet you got every one of those "common as dirt" VF's for 10% back of gs bid too!! image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I know he got a 14-P for about double melt image
    imageimage

<< <i>I know he got a 14-P for about double melt image >>

Well in all fairness, that wasn't VF. Maybe VG8. image

shorecoll, I did buy a couple very cheap (to me), but I think a lot of mine cost upwards of "what's a greysheet?". image
    Problem free raw coins can be quite the steal if you just happen to be in the right place at the right time.. My 10-P was a raw coin for $300 .. Was sent in last January with the bulk of them and now AU55 .. Many of the common XF40/45 cost me $50-$100 raw; the 1902-P XF45 I sold to Glenn when I bought his 55 cost me $75 way back when. My current 06-P in 40 cost me $50. My old 1895-P that came back VF-35 - was a really nice coin (sold to Liz) I stepped up to the plate for and paid $100

Had a couple losers to like a 1897-O that came back VF details. It was actually not too bad .. I knew at the time it was lightly cleaned but was perfect for the at the time Dansco. I paid $560 and got $450 when I sold it slabbed in VF Detail holder. I had a 1905-S came back VF Details I think I broke even on or nearly so.

I think a lot of dates in the series are hardest to find in VF ... Often XF/AU are more common than original VF coins
    imageimage
    A lovely new addition .. XF45 and hammered ! image

I was working and so happened to check through new eBay additions .. Courtesy of Vic Bozarth .. Wghat a strike and appears to have delicious toning and eye appeal .. Hopefully it is as nice as these images image

Couldn't believe it was still on the bay (was listed 2 1/2 hrs. before I scooped it up)

imageimage
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Well said Mike .. That's why I was shocked it was even on there. I was working away and when things simmered down I was reading through my usual list of internet blogs .. I don't usually check the bay but every 2nd or 3rd night after 9pm. I just happened to look and saw Bozarth had listed it 2 hours earlier from when I saw it .. Just don't see that date in such a desirable grade that often.. I was overwhelmed and in a semi-state of shock at the fact it was there and with the exact look I like image
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Yes Mike - you also .. I think the completed listings have a 12 hour lag or something .. I ran into the same situation looking for a closed auction myself.

Here it is for the heck of it1904-O

You seem to add an average of a dime a day .. Gives new meaning to a penny day ....

I am upgrading (or even down grading), I guess the better term is replacing... based strictly on how much I like the coin irregardless of grade. In the case of this 04-O, I actually very much like my 40, but this 45 was way too nice IMO to let it slide. For me, they can't come nicer - it's the look I absolutely love
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike - That's a beautiful 05-O. Looks like a Cary G. coin. I can see why you'd never let it go.

Scott - Great pick-up on the 04-O, and I think the price was very reasonable. If I would have seen first, I would have bought it. I paid a little more for this one, four years ago, and have never regretted it. 04-O's are as tough as 04-S's and a much better value.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern:

I really like that 1904-O Half. ...makes think about collecting them in the XF-AU grades.

MIke:

...No to adding Barber Quarters to your one-a-day purchases (the competition is tough enough). You would be better off in late date Lincoln's. LOL

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Michael, image
    Craig

NEWP thanks to a fellow forumite giving me a heads up. A bit darker patina then most care for, but I find it very appealing.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this one at the last Fun show.
    Larry

• JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Now that's a great looking Barber!
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Great looking 02 !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike - $275, a steal!!!

Justin - Tough acquisition, congrats.

ldhair - Attractive proof (and of the right denomination).
    Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file