Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Tom Smith at it again .. Buys the 04-O Quarter I had on the Bay to flip it which is fine .. I have no problem with that .. That's what this business/hobby is all about... But does he have to use my description almost word for word?

I don't really care, but I thought I would see if this "plaguerizing" of the listing is no big deal. It really is not a big deal to me; I find it humorous and humbling.

KDRC lising
    My Original Listing
    imageimage
    Justin - Nice 98-O ... Good to know someone is looking out image .. Nice eye appeal on that one - I love it

Vern - That 04-O is perfect as well .. I just sold my XF40 which looked a lot like yours but yours is a little more lustrous. I'd guess yours is a 45, but I am usually wrong

Mike - How's the Lincolns coming along? I found a 1989 XF in change today image

Idhair - I love the colors and surfaces on that 02 Quarter - Tremendous! I have an 02 quarter in 58 that has subtle colorful, iridescent toning but not as nice as yours. Hard to capture it - has to be tilted and my skills are limited .. Like watching T-Rex try to tie his shoes
    imageimage

Fast delivery on my new 04-O Half .. Here is a little closer up shot .. Amazing surfaces .. Although difficult to declare the quality of strike for a coin of a grade below AU, I would declare this coin 95% fully struck. All 13 stars well defined with all 6 sided 3 dimensionality well defined. Lots of forehead hair with boldly struck and full lower & upper bands. Reverse shows great wing feather details to the tips; thick, bold and deeply struck. If not for the top right corner of the shield (as viewed) as is typical and the slightest softness in the centers, this coin is as full a strike as one would aspire to find, particularly for middle year "O" mint coins. Oh...the coin is also as original as the Boston winter is long and cold:
    imageimage

imageimage
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Scott, I like the new half. I enjoy seeing them deep original skin.

About your eBay seller. The last time Mr. Key bought from me he also used my pictures with out asking. I really didn't care for that. I could care less about him making money. Just be glad he didn't use your photos and drill out the serial number on the slab!

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many drill presses and too much time on his hands. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

<< <i>Too many drill presses and too much time on his hands. >>

I think he either stopped that nonsense or was told he couldn't list them like that by the bay .. Haven't seen one in quite some time now..

When they were listed he would always use the line that the old owner must not have agreed with the grade .. etc .. Ahhhhh .. Derrrrr - you're the only one with those slabs listed.. It's like a serial killer's MO or a finger print

<< <i> Just be glad he didn't use your photos and drill out the serial number on the slab! >>

Goes to show my photos are so bogus, he had no choice but to re-shoot image
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I like the new half, Mike. Would like to see that one in hand.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to thank our Boston Taxi Service for finally letting me hit a milestone with my Barber 1/2 set! All of my coins are now AU! image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Thanks Mike

You persuaded me to take a couple of pics. Hopefully Justin will have some free time from his fatherly duties to post them for me.

I will comment on the pictures before hand. Yes..this is a filler. The overall look in hand is nice BUT! It has some hard spots on the obv. that are unattractive upon close inspection. They are not nearly as obvious as they seem in my picture...In fact at arms length you don't really see them unless you know they are there.

There are 3 coins I own that I want to replace(this being 1 of them). They are all the type coins that rarely become available. So...the hunt is still on but I R happy with them for now.
    I don't think he is too proud of that 05-O image

In all seriousness, congrats to Darrell but a bigger congrats to Daddy
    imageimage
    Not a problem, Darrell. Little lady is taking a siesta right now. Here are the pics of your 05-O.

Thanks for the congrats.

• Darrell,
    Congratulations on the AU set.
    Larry
    Thanks Justin! So are both the ladies in your family doing fine?

LOL Scott!

<< <i>Darrell,
    Congratulations on the AU set.
    Larry >>

Larry! Thanks! Glad to see you here!
    AU is a nice accomplishment. I'm sticking with my VF+ set and turning my attention back to my neglected library and commem set.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>{ Darrell }

......." Lucy, you has some splainin' to do ........."

Did the mad slab driller get ahold of that 05-O ?? >>

Mike you have me LMAOROTF! The pictures do make it look that way! In fact when I got the coin in hand that was the 1st thing that crossed my mind when I put a loop on it!
    Darrell - Both ladies are awesome. My wife is a real trooper and I am very proud of her.

Leon - I'm sticking with VF as well....for now image

Notehunter - Glad to see you joined the forums

Mike - I seriously busted up laughing when you said mad slab driller!image
    What's a few spots amongst friendsimage

Speaking of VF, only 1 remains in my half set . 96-O in 35 which I have had numerous chances to upgrade to 40 but haven't liked any of them. i didn't really like the AU53 Dave had on ebay although I will admit I was the under bidder at somewhere around $3500 if I remember correctly.

Anyone know who won that coin? Was a couple months ago
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    That's one sweet looking 96-O.

<< <i>I have a raw AU 53-55 - 1905-O Half at PCGS right now -
    and am patiently waiting for the grades to come in... its a
    great coin - and I hope it grades - my hopes have been
    elevated after seeing that 05-O. { No offense, Darrell ! } >>

Mike! No offense at all! I knew what I was buying. Now I just have to find a crowbar to use on you if the 05-O you have grades! Wish you wouldda showed it to me. AHHH! But you knew if it was nice I would tempt you too hard to turn loose of it! image
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    My 96-O is a 35 I picked up at a Stack's sale a couple years ago. My 05-O is one of MFH's rejects in 35...he might still have pics of that, although I think I recall a pic catastrophe he had a while back. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

<< <i>

image >>

Now this is funny to me! image
    Don't they all just circulate almost incestuously !!

My current 35 is an ex-Cary G coin that was sold to Mitch Miller ($675 I paid Mitch for the 35).. then Mitch got another 96-O he liked better and sold me the coin I presently have - Very choice surfaces although a touch dark .. No hairlines and IMO more detail than the 40 mike just showed (Arnie's coin) .. Zero wipe lines and a "clean" coin for a 35 grade that could easily be a 40 that was "net graded" for an original if darker patina
    imageimage

<< <i>Don't they all just circulate almost incestuously !!

My current 35 is an ex-Cary G coin that was sold to Mitch Miller ($675 I paid Mitch for the 35).. then Mitch got another 96-O he liked better and sold me the coin I presently have - Very choice surfaces although a touch dark .. No hairlines and IMO more detail than the 40 mike just showed (Arnie's coin) .. Zero wipe lines and a "clean" coin for a 35 grade that could easily be a 40 that was "net graded" for an original if darker patina >>

There are several 96-O's that have Cary's brand on them! image Incest eh????? I'm running away from that! image

<< <i>Don't they all just circulate almost incestuously !! >>

<< Referring to the general pool of coins, not specifically the 96-O ... We all take a turn being the care taker, get bored (or brokeimage ) and sell them to someone else!
    imageimage
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darrell - Congratulations on a wonderful accomplishment.

A newp, a spare from a fellow forumite:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here's one you don't see every day, care to guess the grade?

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    Monster 96O quarter - everyday? I don't even see this coin in Fine and up, at least not often.
    A dealer at FUN did have a stack (6) of raw VG-VF coins though, which I thought was unusual.
    I'll let the smart guys guess your grade, I'll just grade it "awesome".

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Thanks Vern!

I'm on the fence between 55 and 58 on your 96-O
    It goes without saying when Vern posts coins to say they are top shelf .. The 96-O looks mint state to me. I'm going with 62 as the luster may be a little flat around the cheek and neck but I say unbroken. That and no apparent circulation marks or ticks in sight. Again, very difficult to distinguish choice AU from MS from images, but that is my judgement.

For the record I will say 58 on the 07-P
    imageimage
    I see some whispyness(is that a word? image ) on the neck and a hint of run on the cheek on the 96-O. Course we know ho pictures can be!
    Regardless of the number on the plastic, and one person's (I suppose more accurately 2 people's opinion) of the "affirmed" grade, the coin is gorgeous. As the saying goes a picture speaks a thousand words .. The coin speaks for itself and certainly speaks much louder in hand

Wispiness is a word according to dictionary.com - A noun. Delicate, faint. Being a wisp.
    wispiness
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Wow ! Great 96-O.

Did anyone here win the 1899-S Quarter in PCGS AU58 that sold on Ebay the other day?

<< <i> Did anyone here win the 1899-S Quarter in PCGS AU58 that sold on Ebay the other day? >>

I was speaking with someone regarding that 99-S yesterday .. I didn't see it before it closed as it was on an international ebay server and I wasn't aware it existed

Based on the seller FB of 11 ratings and no slab shot of the coin, maybe I was happy I didn't know about it. Hopefully who ever did win it can verify the sale goes through without any difficulty and paid the $1200 via credit card

In August I bid on an AU58 99-S via Teletrade and was the under bidder in that auction. That coin appeared to be quite nice and sold for $575 although August 2011 another sold on Heritage for $1800. There were also sales of three AU55s over the summer, two on TT and one on eBay .. all sold in the $480-$600 range. A 62 sold in 2011 on Heritage for $1600. It is absolutely one of the better dates, but a surprising number of AU coins have been certified.
    imageimage
    Isn't the '99S quarter known to be one of the 'Phillipine Hoard' coins, along with the halves, and the 98S and 00S coins?
    Still, I guess with that low mintage, it's bound to be scarce - but may account for a higher than expected number of AU coins.

<< <i>Isn't the '99S quarter known to be one of the 'Phillipine Hoard' coins, along with the halves, and the 98S and 00S coins? Still, I guess with that low mintage, it's bound to be scarce - but may account for a higher than expected number of AU coins. >>

WG21D - That's exactly right about the 99-S.. There are only around 3 dozen mint state coins graded at PCGS I believe. There are a disproportionate number of AU coins compared to F-XF. There are more AU coins than mint state coins. the date is always under heavy pressure and nice coins sell at a big premium even if they are more available in AU. I would like to find a really nice 63 but I'd take a 55 or 58!

I have had an easier time locating 98-S AU coins which are a lot more scarce (I currently have two in AU55) - although like everything else; individually we all have certain coins we come across more than others so self-perception can be different than reality. The 1900-S is borderline common in XF/AU. R2 maybe? I have seen many nice ones in the past year and a half of so of searching.

Many dates I haven't seen at all offered in AU or even XF/AU since I have been actively searching (18-24 months). One being the 1906-O although TT had a hideously awful PC53 last week. It had more spots than a cow .. To me, a No-Brainer to let that one slide. Someone bought it .. closed at $210 or $220 I think. Obviously the price reflected the quality.

Others: 05-S, 1903 .. There have been a few offerings of others but all in all - sparsely offered and not always choice

imageimage
    Apparently not a lot of people saw the 1903-O Quarter in 53 that was listed as a 1903 on eBay that just closed .. Or maybe a lot of people didn't like the look of it image

Although the pix weren't great, I thought it looked quite nice - appeared to be original crustiness in the fields and had a nice strike and overall texture and color .. We shall see soon enough image

I know I love the 55 I got a couple months back from the "Cass Hoard" ... That coin closed at $513 where this one barely hit $200 .. 53 vs. 55

No question the Cass coin appears nicer but I still think the 53 is going to be a really nice looker. 14 day return if not so nothing but $1.99 shipping + return shipping hangs in the balance and some time to return it

Here is a link if you haven't seen it:
    1903 (O) PCGS AU53
    imageimage
    I don't think you will be disappointed at all with that coin, Scott.

<< <i>Many dates I haven't seen at all offered in AU or even XF/AU since I have been actively searching (18-24 months). One being the 1906-O although TT had a hideously awful PC53 last week. It had more spots than a cow .. To me, a No-Brainer to let that one slide. Someone bought it .. closed at $210 or $220 I think. Obviously the price reflected the quality.
    Others: 05-S, 1903 .. There have been a few offerings of others but all in all - sparsely offered and not always choice >>

Very insightful, SAM.....I don't follow the auctions or retail dealer listings, just searching at the shows for the past ~3 years. The quarters are a TOUGH series in VF and up for many dates, besides the Big Three. There may be more semi-key dates than common dates among the upper circ grades.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1,000!!!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>1,000!!! >>

LOL! Stealing the moment of fame from a Barberite eh??? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file