Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 98-O is a Cass hoard coin. >>

I'm not familiar with the Cass hoard - is there more info available on this? Thanks.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The 98-O is a Cass hoard coin. >>

I'm not familiar with the Cass hoard - is there more info available on this? Thanks. >>

It is a marketing strategy David Kahn is using for a nice group(hoard) of Barbers he is selling on ebay for someone. Seems to be working quite well. I don't know if it is enough coins to be considered a hoard,which begs the question: How many coins does it take to be considered a hoard?
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a nice 1898 Proof Barber Half... love the look and originality... just a hint of rim toning which is evidence this one hasn't been dipped.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
    Now THAT is a stone cold original Proof half!
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MFH - Love the glow of the relief!!! Very nice coin.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Personally I find them both gorgeous. I've come to appreciate toned coins and frosty coins that have the "right" white look to them. That first proof (windys) looks cameo for sure. Major contrast going on, least from the pix. Doesn't have that dipped look to me; the color looks "right" to me anyway. Even if it was as most have been, it certainly isn't dipped out and whoever did it did it "right" if there is such a thing

As I continue to collect, my tastes have grown to admire both brilliant and frosty white, deeply toned darker coins (generally shunned by most) and all the shades in between. As much as I love my highlight example of this look, the 93-S half, I am equally fond of my 94-0 half which has subtle rusty rim tone with dripping, booming lustrous white centers of pure mint frost (least so it appears)
    imageimage
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern, those look to be some great quarters. You definitely know how to pick them!

So I decided to take a chance on an eBay auction. Mediocre photos in the auction, but it was a date I needed for my VF date set and my favorite mint to boot. I thought it was worth the shot. Here are the seller's photos. I hope it cuts the mustard in hand.

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windycity and Mike - Both very attractive albeit diametrically opposed looks.

Walkerguy - The "Cass hoard" was maybe 40 coins that Dave Kahn sold on ebay that had the same look. Most were tougher date barbers.

Justin - From the pics, I'd say you definitely have a keeper. Please let us know how it looks in hand. And thanks for the compliment on the quarters, but it's not difficult to pick them when they come in a trade from Doug. All his coins are nice.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Justin, looks very solid to me and not an easy date to find.

Vern, nice matched pair of quarters and tough as well.

Windycity and Mr. Hayes image, those are both lovely proof examples and as said already opposite ends of the spectrum for toning but I like them both.

Been working on my photos and I am getting there I think. Comments are welcome on a couple of photos I took this evening. Let's guess the grade on the barber dime since this is "the place" for that to happen. If you want to guess on that other coin that's ok too!

So anyway let me hear your thoughts on the photos. Thanks!

Oh Dr. Pete, the arachnid is safe on the Big Island sitting on that +++ perch. It is a cool web. image

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Picked up a nice 1898 Proof Barber Half... love the look and originality... just a hint of rim toning which is evidence this one hasn't been dipped.

image >>

Wow , that is NICE !!!!! ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
    Really nice photos Glenn .. Based on just my own experience with my own Morgans, and those I have examined in hand, I will say it is an MS64. The toning is dark enough to not allow a complete assessment of the overall surface quality. The strike appears about average for an 85-O. Some chatter in the left obverse field but nothing really to speak of. All other prime areas including cheek are smooth, least the photos don't show anything. The toning is absolutely lovely but I think the softer strike and that dark, albeit original, tone will be hard to find in MS65, even though that date is graded liberally for being so common (uncommon toning for sure - gorgeous!)

The dime looks like a 66, maybe a 66+. Incredible luster and super clean fields.

SAM
    imageimage
    Morgans don't belong here! image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Glenn - Pics of the dime are great, and I don't think they do your dollar justice. I've found that some coins just don't photograph well. I'd guess 65 on the dime, no clue as to grade on the dollar.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    Thanks all for the info on the Cass hoard.....I had forgotten that was a recently 'discovered' group of Barber coins that
    were being sold on Ebay image

Glenn - Great photos! I'll give a WAG that the dime is a 65, but could be higher.

Merry Christmas - Happy Holidays to all

Remember that 1911-S Half graded PCGS XF40 that was really a F-15 ... well it did sell, albeit under XF40 money at $210. However, if you look at realistically, it sold for about $125 over F-15 money I suppose. Perhaps it is a VF20,l in which case it sold for 2x money. Coin was graded by 2x and sold for 2x. Sounds like a 4x win for the sellerimage

1911 S XF40?
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Justin I will refrain from posting anything other then Barbers here in the future. I see the Barber-Morgan rivalry/feud is alive and well some 135 years later! image

Thanks for the feedback on the photos. Both are representative of the coins in hand, with the exception on the Dollar that the fields have more even green toning then the photo but the scattered colors are all accurate. That coin is a 64 CAC green.

The 1913 Dime is in a Green Label PCGS 65 Holder and was sent to CAC and is now Gold Stickered. image

Comparing it to about 5-6 66's I have seen in hand plus looking at auction photos I prefer it to the 66's I have seen. Strike, minimal marks, eye appeal and luster are all there!

Hope everyone had a great holiday and a wonderful 2013.

See you at FUN!

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Glenn-

So my guesstimates of MS64 for the S$1 and MS66 are in line with the "professional" opinions ehimage

I saw that dime as being better than 65 - from the photos nary a mark and the luster looked bold, frosty and intense. If that is not a 66, I wouldn't know what would qualify as one. And what would a coin need to qualify for the superb gem uber grades of 67, 68 ..

BTW that 1900 AU50 25c you listed as part of that big Barber 25c listing last night was submitted by yours truly. I had sold it to another forum member a few months back as I had gotten two back graded at that level from PCGS. I still have a few coins from that last January submission (one of the earlier 3 prong holder submissions) with PCGS certification numbers one digit sequentially higher.

Keep posting the Morgansimage, I mean Barbers

Happy New Year folks
    imageimage

<< <i>.......Keep posting the Morgansimage, I mean Barbers....... >>

Hard to believe this 04-S in 15 went for $283. 1904 S .. I know those hideous black spots probably killed the price, but the surfaces look very original and crusty and the coin looks like a very solid rep of a F15)

Other examples saw a F12 sell for $408 and of course Dave's recent 25 for $1300... Oops .. I just saw he sold the same coin on Dec 11th and it went for $355 .. Looks like he lost a couple of under bidders image Lesson learned not to re-list too soon. The fresher often the better.
    imageimage
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Counter the 04-s falling off the throne with the couple of BIN Fine 15's of 93-s sitting at over $850.
    How long will that last?
    The set was once very affordable in Fine, with only the 92-s & 92-o being costy.
    Now lots of dates are being ramped up into key-ville.
    There's really not a lot of people who think these are beautiful coins. Tough, yes, but I'm thinking bubble on some of these prices.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Good morning folks - Just an FYI - I have 2 quarters on the BST thread if anyone happens to be looking. (1897 AU58 and 1895 VF35) - See BST thread for details

Happy (non-Chinese) New Year
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Love your new dime Mike, here is my new quarter PCGS 58

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Hope everyone had a joyous Christmas.

Mike - Two outstanding dimes, the obverse on the 1896 looks way too nice for a 63.

Joe - Congrats on the 02-O, nice coin and much tougher than it's given credit for.

My most recent half addition. Can't get the lighting right to get the obverse to look like the coin.

----------
    Vern

Oh, Oh, photobucket changed, anyone want to tell me how to post pics?
    Vern
    l
    Happy New Year folks.

So last spring, I bought a couple Barber Halves from forum member, New Barber Guy (Dave). One was a 1905-O PCGS AU50 and the other a 1897-S ANACS XF45. The ANACS coin was sent for crossover along with another 35-40 coins; some Barber Quarters and Halves and a dozen WL Halves and the rest Morgan Dollars and a 1928 Peace Dollar. Most were raw but there was a couple other ANACS coins and 3 NGC coins. Every crossover coin crossed at the grade in the other holder except for two. One was an ANACS 1892 Quarter in AU58. That coin crossed to PCGS AU55. The other was the ANACS XF45 1897-S which was deemed cleaned. If anything, I was concerned they may not like the color. Although I liked the toning, it was a smoky barbeque reddish/tan color. There were a few faint wispy and scattered hairlines but nothing really to speak of. Certainly nothing different than what is found on most certified XF and AU coins.

Looking at the Heritage FUN coins, I thought the 1897-S PCGS AU53 looked familiar .. Sure enough, the same coin as marked by the die crack (scratch really!) below the bust of Ms. Liberty - and if that isn't proof enough, all the unique toning patterns match up. I had even said to Dave when I bought it I thought the coin had a great chance at an upgrade to AU50. When it was submitted, it was requested to not cross below XF40 (which would have been absurd anyway). When it came back as cleaned and another PCGS coin in XF40 came on the market shortly thereafter, I sold this coin. It appeared in the next Heritage Auction immediately after my sale. I believe it sold in the September HA auction - in the ANACS holder. So, the fellow I sold it to consigned it almost immediately to Heritage (2 months later). I can only speculate he also tried to cross it and failed - Why else buy the coin from me in June to sell it in September in the same holder at auction? It sold for under $1000 in the September Heritage sale and I sold it to him for $1050. I assume he paid a seller's fee to Heritage so he lost at least $100.

I wonder who bought the coin from the Sept heritage sale and how PCGS suddenly decided the coin was not only "not cleaned", but also worthy of a 2 notch upgrade. Perhaps that seller cracked it out? Pretty substantial risk whereby the coin is not only now raw, but no longer in the small white holder which would at the least signify to a buyer (or PCGS) the color and coin have been stable for 10 years? Call me crazy .. those reasons and more were all the motivation I needed to submit in the small white holder and not raw.

Vetty Vetty interesting

** This is NOT sour grapes. This is merely a documentary of stating the facts. Is it a case in point of buy coins you like and the nauseatingly beat to death cliche of buy the coin and not the holder? Grading standards certainly change. So does "market acceptability". However, problem coins by definition should not be so subjective. Additionally, they do not change drastically in the period of 3 months image

1897-S Barber Half ANACS XF45 -
    imageimage

1897-S Barber Half Dollar ANACS XF45 - Slab view- This shot shows the luster better while the above cropped images are representative of the color of the coin.

1897-S Barber Half Dollar - PCGS body bagged

Link to current coin in PCGS AU53 holder at this month's sale:
    1897-S PCGS AU53

This is just a documentary - Not a grievance.
    Comment as you like or plead the 5th as you like.

As an aside, the 1905-O PCGS AU50 is "more"cleaned than the 97-S Half. I didn't send the 1905-O in though as it was purchased in a PCGS holder already. But if they were both raw, I wouldn't expect the 05-O to grade; least not if I were the one submitting it. image

Happy 2013 All

This shot shows the luster better while the above cropped images are representative of the color of the coin.
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike - Amazing how one month a coin is cleaned, and the next it's graded at 2 notches higher. My guess is whoever got it in the 53 holder, cracked it and sent it in raw. Also, kind of surprised that your 09-D dime wasn't a 65.

Another try at the pics of my latest barber half. (Photobucket was in some kind of different format, when last I tried).

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    Happy New Year folks!

Mike - I never saw the GTG on the dime - I agree with Vern; looks 65 - Nice old albums too btw - Those are very cool

Vern - that is a splendid 93-S Half - super look and very original ... 45?

BTW, Vern, the grading experience was mine and I edited the text to say the person may have cracked it out, however I would not have as the risk/reward as just not there:

A. The color alone was somewhat suspect (not the toning PCGS would typically like, especially on a Barber Half ). Leaving it in the old small white holder has the advantage of telling them the coin and color have been stable for 10+ years (similar to people crossing the old PCI holders of toned ASE and other such coins)
    B. If it fails to cross, now you have a raw coin vs. a slabbed coin and most people consider the small ANACS white holders preferable to all their other holders; and as stated above at a minimum signifies the stability of the coin.
    C. All that said, their is truly a better upside to sending it raw in terms of the true grade the coin deserved (AU50, outside shot at 53).

imageimage
    Great catch and post, SAM5969......and that's all I'm gonna say image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Scott - Sorry, got confused between Mike's dimes and your 97-S. Senility is fast approaching in this new year.

Mike and Scott - My obverse pics don't due the 93-S justice, but even so, I'd agree with you before I'd even consider what our hosts said. Also, the coin came from a private sale.

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    Vern, the Baltimore article was a good read in the BCCS Journal. Thanks for sharing.

Mike, thanks for getting the 97-S/s dime in the journal. I can't wait to see if there are anymore found.
    Latest acquisition, NGC-55.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike - Decent coin, lots of luster, but as you surmised, the date was the reason I bought it.

Unsolicited plug. I put a few raw VF quarters on the BST.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

My newp from FUN.
    In case you want to GTG or read about the acquisition image Thanks to MFH for his help!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Beautiful dime and great show report.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

Nice post Mike - can't wait to see the pics of some of those NEWPs!

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing everyone's FUN Barber hauls.
    Waiting for San Jose show in two weeks.

And CoinZip, it's always inspirational to see a perfect leathery old toned Barber Half in Fine. Very sweet coin!
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    Love the 09-s. Thanks for posting it. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file