Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am happy to be able to "drop in" for a moment and scan the Thread. Things have been hectic. I honestly have to say Log's 03-S is slightly superior to Mike's. Sorry Mike but the bean and the 45 are misplaced on yours (IMHO only). However.... lucky you!! image

imageimage

Sorry about the lousy image.

No lousy image here -- I love that 98-S! It's typical of my "ideal" AU coin. image
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the kind words on my 98-S. It is my Registry date set (I retired the complete set sans the big 3) and it is CAC'd. I always urge Barber Quarter collectors to buy any eye appealing 98-S if there is an opportunity to do so. I definitely have to have my sets professionally imaged and presented to the group in a more professional manner. I leave this evening with this (in my set and is CAC'd):

[/IMG]imageimage

The larger view:

Craig

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Another nice gem! image
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Craig - Those are gorgeous coins .. I love the look of your 1896 in 64 on your set .. Really nice 01-O and 09-O can't be overlooked .. that is a fine set you have goingimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Added a little lady today.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!!!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MFH

...Very shrewd remark ...Indeed image
    Craig

• Options
    :.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Wow .. Coincidence or do we all have the same eye for quality? I'm sure there are others too .. Very nice

I created a date set for the quarters as I will hopefully be adding some MS quarters in the future .. Too many beauties out there to hold myself down to AU.
    A lot of beauties in other holders too .. Starting to accumulate NGC and ANACS coins again after a laziness reprieve
    imageimage
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Well after a long search the 97-O has finally been located. So Mike is wrong (a little bit anyway) and these dimes do exist. I will
    not post the grade in case anyone wants to make a guess. It's not in my hot little hands quite yet, but hopefully by Monday.

A huge thanks to Glenn Holsonbake who has searched far and wide for this coin. Glenn, I am so happy to have this coin in the
    Beancounter collection and equally happy that you are back as an independent dealer.

imageimage
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - nice one, Joe, and worth the wait!
    AU58, if not mint state.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    :
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Certainly looks 58. I believe the set is an EM set eliminating the MS possibility (that and the clue if it being AU). I would think the strike, luster and clean surfaces make it a 58 for sure
    imageimage
  • Options
    If that coin got less than a 58, it's a shame.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, nice 97-O Joe.......you have been after that (and mine) for a long time. Now mine is safe.image
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbers are coolimage

• Options
    Well Mike - glad to hear your dime story had about as good an ending as possible.
    Joe - Congrats on the 97-O Quarter

Not a whole lot of action at The Bay State Show today .. John Frost is on holiday across the world so I spent an hour or two with Dennis Hengeveld from the LSCC and The Gobrecht Journal. By the end of our talk, I paid my dues and then some (They are offering silver MS and Silver Proof medals in the likeness of a Seated Half on a limited mintage and since the money goes towards the LSCC I was happy to oblige) .. There were a few others there and the conversations were upbeat, light, humorous and informative .. There were several nice semi-key early 70's CC Halves amongst other coins to view ...

The bourse was a little slow possibly from being the first year in the metro-west suburb of Marlborough, Ma after being in Boston for many years. I was able to locate a few decent raw Barbers and also acquired some fractional foreign gold for very little over spot (2 Roosters for $10 over spot which is unheard of and a twenty pesos coin for spot gold)..

The Barbers I bought included a very nice original surfaced 1916 Quarter in about AU58 for $125. This same dealer had a few nice pieces including a 13-D Quarter that looked fully mist state in the 61-62 range. He had several other nicer grade better dates. One coin that caught my eye was an 1894 Proof Quarter (raw). It was certainly impaired upon closer examination. It appeared to suffer from PVC damage..I asked him what he thought the green on the obverse was. After a closer look by the dealer, he softly replied that he thought it may be some sort of toning .. I offered him my amateur opinion that it looked like it may be PVC, but that I am far from an expert... I didn't want things to get uncomfortable so I changed the subject and we both sort of ignored the elephant in the room ..

Another dealer had an abundance of raw Barber Halves and a lot of key dates .. High grade 96-S, 97-O, 04-S, a 15-P in a choice BU ... One of the nicer coins in the group was a 1908-D Half with creamy luster and all original surfaces without a hairline to be found. Most of his coins were too pricey and some had very minor cleaning or a light scratch or two but all in all a pretty impressive group of about 100-150 Barber Halves from Fine to MS. I thought his prices would be high had the coins been slabbed and graded as he had them graded (No surprise there I suppose)

After being there 4 hours, I was surprised to come across this 1893 Quarter in PCGS 58 (images below) ..As we were recently talking about 1898-S Quarters, I had uploaded this to PB so here is an AU55 specimen toned in olives/golds .. Try to imagine what these will look like when I have them professionally imaged:

imageimage

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    I thought I cropped them.. guess not !

imageimage

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    And the new dime is PCGS 55

Nice update Scott and nice coins
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    Newp
    imageimage
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of good looking barbers since I last looked.

Joe - Congrats on the 97-O. I would have guessed 58, and a very attractive one at that.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Looking forward to Baltimore this week. Hope to meet a couple of you at the Barber Collector's Society meeting, which I think is Friday at 3PM.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>Looking forward to Baltimore this week. Hope to meet a couple of you at the Barber Collector's Society meeting, which I think is Friday at 3PM.

-----------
    Vern >>

I will see you there, Vern.
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Justin - Great, I hope to have a new barber or two by then to bring for show and tell.

Mike - I agree on the lighting, which just confirms that there is no substitute for having the coin in hand. Maybe the only reason big coin shows will survive.

For today, a perfect for the grade (IMO) half. VF-35.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Just an FYI -
    This month's Coin Dealer Newletter Monthly Supplement has a fairly extensive article on Barber quarters, with most of the focus on the semi key dates in XF and AU. It's written by Leonard Rizzo (I don't know him, but maybe some of the Barber fanatics do).
    And it's somewhat ironic that he speaks extensively of these coins selling for multiples of 'price guide values', given that it's on the cover of the Grey Sheet image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Joe, thanks for the kind words. I have been looking for this coin for 4 years including ANA's, Baltimore's, FUN, and dozens of other shows. To come across it at a local 50 table show, well it just shows you never know. I even have a bid for this date on Coinplex in any 55 or 58 grade and not a nibble. I think I will leave that up there just for the heck of it and see if another one shows up.

I no longer collect myself having made the decision awhile back that it wouldn't be right for me to be competing with my clients and customers. But being very honest and frank the collector juices never have gone away for me. So when I stumble across something for a client inside I get almost as giddy and excited as that 9 year old kid a few years back! Quite a few lol.

Joe it was so exciting to find this one for you, and even though I only studied it overnight I was "UP" all weekend. image

Thanks for letting me be a part of the hunt. I love looking for coins on behalf of clients so help me get my fix now and then! image

Glenn
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern? You gonna pay me a visit at Baltimore? image
  • Options
    I like the 06-P Vern. Some underlying luster for a VF35. Though some may call the 06-P a common date, I find it offered little compared to others.
  • Options
    Darrell - Absolutely. What's your table number?

Glenn - Look forward to seeing you there as well.

---------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern,I will be at table 360. Justin...that is across the isle from my old location.
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Vern, won't be seeing you at this one. Have a lot to do getting coins up on my website, collector's corner, my eBay store and getting things relaunched.

While I considered and investigated going I just couldn't find a flight for under $600 this time and the expenses just don't justify attending.

I will be back East for FUN in January but will likely pull back on Baltimore shows to one a year and I may walk the floor rather then be at a table.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

Nice looker, great date! image

And JWM,

Oh, my, what a wonderful looking 97-O ... WOW!! Envy!!!

I don't post to this thread much (probably should more), but since this is a Barber, and I'm jazzed to own her, I'll share her here too

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Well the 97-O dime arrived today and I am pleased to say the attached image more closely reflects the
    actual coin than the PCGS holder image. Very nice strike for an O mint, a whole lot of mint luster,
    tangerine toning coming off the rims, and one of the nicest you will ever see. With all of that said,
    it is not an upgrade candidate, just an honest 55.

• Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    My one and only
  • Options
    If you only have one, that's a great one to have. Beautious
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Just got home from the wars and need to "unwind" with coins.

- JMW, how about a good image of the reverse. That obverse could make anyone take up dime collectingimage
    - Would also like to get my hands on Rizzo's Barber Quarter article.
    - Mike is the only person I know who can sell out then turn around and go from 0 to a full Barber Dime and Half collection in about 6.2 seconds !! image (To all: hide your Quarters!!!)
    - Who's going to own the neat 98-O NGC MS64 Barber Quarter in the Stack's Bowers Sale? Lot #1532 (It's up to $3,000 the last time I looked).

Thanks for all of your posts and images.

Good Night image

• Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Really like the 97-S dime, such a tough date. And yes that '06 half is PCGS-35.

Todd - Beautiful V Nickel, with or without the clip.

Jayboxx - Glad your one and only is a quarter, my favorites. Very attractive toning, nice coin.

Craig - Saw that NGC-64, 98-O quarter in Stack's auction. They say "tab toning" in the description. I've not heard that expression before. Anyone know what it means?
    It certainly has vivid toning, and I agree with Mike, it will go for more than the $3000 plus the juice.

Darrell - See you at table 360.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    I haven't seen the coin in question (98O quarter), but I think with classic Commems is the only time I've seen reference to 'tab toning'.
    I think it was from how they were issued by the gov't back in the day. And from what I recall, tab toning on many of them really wasn't very attractive, but did attest to their being wholly original.

• Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Before I put on my glasses, I thought you guys were refering to a description on the 98-o as LAB toning. Now that would be a hoot.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Once it makes it into a holder that isimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file