Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's make it 301 with this;image Meaning,these are Sleepers!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I found 7 Best Of Varieties, WDDR-021 stages A and B. >>

IMO, that list needs to be whittled down to about 17 varieties, i.e. "The Best of The Best"

To me, 021 doesn't qualify. >>

I agree with that, I wonder how he figures them out. Is it the degree meaning how far off the die had to have been, of doubling or is it visual?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

IMO, that list needs to be whittled down to about 17 varieties, i.e. "The Best of The Best"

I agree with that, I wonder how he figures them out. Is it the degree meaning how far off the die had to have been, of doubling or is it visual? >>

Papi's TOP 12

WDDR-001 imageWDDR-002 image
    WDDR-006 imageWDDR-014 image
    WDDR-016 imageWDDR-025 image
    WDDR-043 imageWDDR-050 image
    WDDR-051 imageWDDR-052image
    WDDR-062 imageWDDR-095image

***********************************************TOP 11 RUNNER'S UP

WDDR-007 imageWDDR-028 image
    WDDR-032 imageWDDR-033image
    WDDR-034 imageWDDR-049 image
    WDDR-057 imageWDDR-060 image
    WDDR-076imageWDDR-086 image
    WDDR-096 image
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Papi....it could be my math skills, but it appears you have 23 different errors pictured in your top 12.... I was wondering, has anyone found anything in boxes dated 4/24? I'm going to receive a box

soon and want to know what to expect....it's an pre-10 a.m. box. I was thinking maybe a couple of 006 later stage might make it through ....
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Papi....it could be my math skills, but it appears you have 23 different errors pictured in your top 12.... I was wondering, has anyone found anything in boxes dated 4/24? I'm going to receive a box

soon and want to know what to expect....it's an pre-10 a.m. box. I was thinking maybe a couple of 006 later stage might make it through .... >>

I got 7 WDDR-005's ( I called then "knuckles" in my notes image) and 5 of something I called DDR-001 "Light" whatever that means (this was way early in my searching back when they were first discovered and there were only about 10 varieties). I think I only had 1 box from 4/24 as I concentrated on only 5 specific dates for the series. No note on the time/lot of box. I think the DDR-001 might actually have been a DDR-008. Coneca and Wexler had some of their varieties that didn't match and early on, that messed me up a bit in my notes. I figured it out quick though and went with Wexler because he seemed to have the most updates and better pictures/descriptions.

Update.
    I looked through a few more pages of notes and found this:
    4/24 9774 09:59
    (8) DDR-005
    (6) DDR-008
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Papi....it could be my math skills, but it appears you have 23 different errors pictured in your top 12..... >>

You must have missed the gap after the first 12.

After that are my 11 "Runners-Up"
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I only opened about 5 4/24 boxes and did not find anything at all but that is not a good example.

There were too many good boxes available to me then and I just could net see buying anymore of the 4/24's.
  • Options

<< <i>I only opened about 5 4/24 boxes and did not find anything at all but that is not a good example.

There were too many good boxes available to me then and I just could net see buying anymore of the 4/24's. >>

Didn't find anything in your bank boxes PitBoss?
  • Options
    I have been going through them slowly.

I have about 70 WDDR 028's and some like those but they are only about a third the length of the 028's.

They are all from the same box.

I opened about 10 rolls from a second box but have found nothing in them.

I have 5 more boxes coming, 3 of them from the same guy I am getting the 028's from.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice group of pix Papi. Even better would be wddr#'s for ref.

I too have appreciated the continuation of the thread and interest...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>Nice group of pix Papi. Even better would be wddr#'s for ref.

I too have appreciated the continuation of the thread and interest... >>

You asked

Glad to oblige
  • Options
    Oh, yeah..missed that "runnerup" notation. Well done! Carry on!
  • Options
    That 1st box I got from alld1 has been a good one. I have gone through 23 rolls so far and have gotten 84 WDDR 028 and 15 of the shorter version of the 028 whatever # that is.
  • Options

<< <i>That 1st box I got from alld1 has been a good one. I have gone through 23 rolls so far and have gotten 84 WDDR 028 and 15 of the shorter version of the 028 whatever # that is. >>

I think they maybe WDDR-026?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options
    I just looked them up and they are WDDR 029's.

alld1 still has 7 more boxes for sale right now on ebay. I bought 3 more boxes from him.
  • Options

I just looked them up and they are WDDR 029's.

alld1 still has 7 more boxes for sale right now on ebay. I bought 3 more boxes from him.

Are you trying to corner the market on those two? LOL

• Options
    No, by the time I get through looking at 3 1/2 more boxes I will be ready for something else.

I was just letting everyone else know there were some more boxes for sale that might contain some known errors.

I do have 2 other boxes coming from someone else.
  • Options

<< <i>No, by the time I get through looking at 3 1/2 more boxes I will be ready for something else.

I was just letting everyone else know there were some more boxes for sale that might contain some known errors.

I do have 2 other boxes coming from someone else. >>

I was only kidding, that's what the LOL was for. Best Of luck Mike

• Options
    I opened a roll of clear wrapped rolls from a group I had bought, and found eight WDDR-036, the fat hand errors. I kinda like those, that hand is huge.

• Options

<< <i>I opened a roll of clear wrapped rolls from a group I had bought, and found eight WDDR-036, the fat hand errors. I kinda like those, that hand is huge. >>

That's the only ddr that I've ever found in those shrink wrapped, aka Brinks, rolls
  • Options
    I'm goin' diggin' in a couple more rolls tonight image wish me luck!
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what the publics perception of these will be; "mint wrapped" varieties vs "bank roll" varieties.

One would assume that the limited mintage, mint wrapped, varieties would be considered rarer coins just because one is considered a collector run vice circulation runs which are in the masses. I doubt we will ever know the spread but I think the LP2 only errors will be the winners.

At least I hope so. I have so many of the top 5 that I just don't care to buy more or look through more. That and I have about 80 prime boxes yet to open...
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder what the publics perception of these will be; "mint wrapped" varieties vs "bank roll" varieties.

One would assume that the limited mintage, mint wrapped, varieties would be considered rarer coins just because one is considered a collector run vice circulation runs which are in the masses. I doubt we will ever know the spread but I think the LP2 only errors will be the winners.

At least I hope so. I have so many of the top 5 that I just don't care to buy more or look through more. That and I have about 80 prime boxes yet to open... >>

There is only one that I know of that is only found in LP 2 boxes, WDDR-007. The rest have been found in banks boxes. Which ones did you think were only in LP 2 boxes?

• Options

<< <i>I wonder what the publics perception of these will be; "mint wrapped" varieties vs "bank roll" varieties.

At least I hope so. I have so many of the top 5 that I just don't care to buy more or look through more. That and I have about 80 prime boxes yet to open... >>

I don't think the public cares where they come from. It will just be which error is more collectable to their taste.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree with that, I wonder how he figures them out. Is it the degree meaning how far off the die had to have been, of doubling or is it visual? >>

Papi's TOP 12

WDDR-001 imageWDDR-002 image
    WDDR-006 imageWDDR-014 image
    WDDR-016 imageWDDR-025 image
    WDDR-043 imageWDDR-050 image
    WDDR-051 imageWDDR-052image
    WDDR-062 imageWDDR-095image

WDDR-007 imageWDDR-028 image
    WDDR-032 imageWDDR-033image
    WDDR-034 imageWDDR-049 image
    WDDR-057 imageWDDR-060 image
    WDDR-076imageWDDR-086 image
    WDDR-096 image
    >>

As I posted. I've found major varieties WDDR-001, WDDR-002, WDDR-006 in bank rolls in addition to LP2 boxes.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm goin' diggin' in a couple more rolls tonight image wish me luck! >>

Good Luckimage

• Options

<< <i>I have been going through them slowly.

I have about 70 WDDR 028's and some like those but they are only about a third the length of the 028's.

They are all from the same box.

I opened about 10 rolls from a second box but have found nothing in them.

I have 5 more boxes coming, 3 of them from the same guy I am getting the 028's from. >>

Did you find any errors that were on the end of the rolls? I know I found at least one roll or more in every bank box that had the errors in them.

• Options
    My dinoxcope is not working right so I was not able to check for the end rolls. My microscope will not let me see them. I was keeping track of

the ones on the end and there were 3 rolls that had errors when I opened them. My final count came in at 177 WDDR 028's and 77 WDDR

029's. I opened the other 3 box's from the same guy and after opening 2 rolls of each came up with the same ratio in each box as the first

one. I am going to only open heads/heads rolls until I get my dinoxcope fixed.
  • Options

<< <i>My dinoxcope is not working right so I was not able to check for the end rolls. My microscope will not let me see them. I was keeping track of

the ones on the end and there were 3 rolls that had errors when I opened them. My final count came in at 177 WDDR 028's and 77 WDDR

029's. I opened the other 3 box's from the same guy and after opening 2 rolls of each came up with the same ratio in each box as the first

one. I am going to only open heads/heads rolls until I get my dinoxcope fixed. >>

Congrats!

They're quite common
  • Options
    I went to Barnes and Noble today hoping to find any new publications that would talk about these in detail. Didn't see anything. Does anyone know when the new CPG is supposed to come out?

Did I hear correctly that it is supposed to have these errors listed in it? By the way, just had energy enough after work today to open one bank roll...not much, more of my 002/machine doubled mystery

coins and five or six die crack cents. There is a small die crack coming from beneath his right boot (left boot facing) extending about 1/4" . It doesn't even extend halfway down toward the rim. very minor

but discernable. Regarding the "mystery" cents that most are convinced from viewing my poor pic that it is machine doubling and not an early stage wddo-002, anyone interested in having one sent to them

for viewing and opinion please PM me to make arrangements. I would like to have other eyes looking at them, not to mention that perhaps someone would be able to take a better photo to share with everyone

here.

Pitboss, your wddr-028's are cool. You said you found 177 of them---out of how many rolls ? Just trying to figure out how "common" these actually are because the wddr-002's are relatively common but

they are still highly regarded as one of the "best of the best" and I like the look of the 028's.
  • Options
    That was out of 50 rolls but I have 4 more boxes of 50 rolls that have them also and I am averaging 3 + errors to a roll.
    As to how common they are no one knows at this point. It depends on how long the die lasted, how many coins were released in circulation, how many are in the hands of collectors. I have to figure I have roughly 450 to 500 myself when I finish going through my other boxes. How many others have that many? How much demand is there going to be for these when and if they appear on the cherry pickers guide next year? Right now it is just a case of save them and wait and see.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know there are many of these varieties in the 2009 Proof category,how are these selling? Does anybody know? I for one don't have any. Just curious If these are generating any popularity as the business strikes? Thanks in advance for any responses. - joeyimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    I just open another box from a different part of the country and went through 10 rolls. I found 17 WDDR 032's and a ton with die cracks in the left boot. So many that I stopped saving them.

• Options
    Has anyone on this forum been the "discoverer and first submitter" to Wexler or Coneca for any of these known and catalogued errors? Has anyone discovered an error that has never been listed anywhere?

My personal claim to fame that I have posted here on another thread before is one that I have never sent in for attribution. (lazy? cheap? already have enough listed? pick one)

I call it the "extra blade of grass" error (die clash?) . Notice the blade of grass protruding upwards and out from his boot about ankle high (left facing-his right boot) . It is a raised metal abnormality.

Found about 25 total in 4/29 boxes 8:50 a.m. -ish

• Options

<< <i>Has anyone on this forum been the "discoverer and first submitter" to Wexler or Coneca for any of these known and catalogued errors? >>

I have several attributed to me. image

• Options

<< <i>I just open another box from a different part of the country and went through 10 rolls. I found 17 WDDR 032's and a ton with die cracks in the left boot. So many that I stopped saving them. >>

Pitboss, you got some nice coins out there. Did you get any 68s ?
  • Options
    No, I got 17 WDDR 001's and 17 WDDR 002's though.

Those WDDR32's are a neat looking coin but I am only finding 1 or 2 per roll but that is ok as I have 100 rolls to go through.
  • Options
    Papi---any of yours in the top 12 "best of the best"? Anyone else have any attributed?
  • Options

<< <i>No, I got 17 WDDR 001's and 17 WDDR 002's though.

Those WDDR32's are a neat looking coin but I am only finding 1 or 2 per roll but that is ok as I have 100 rolls to go through. >>

Thanks but I was talking about your graded coins MS68s
  • Options

<< <i>I went to Barnes and Noble today hoping to find any new publications that would talk about these in detail. Didn't see anything. Does anyone know when the new CPG is supposed to come out?

Did I hear correctly that it is supposed to have these errors listed in it? By the way, just had energy enough after work today to open one bank roll...not much, more of my 002/machine doubled mystery

coins and five or six die crack cents. There is a small die crack coming from beneath his right boot (left boot facing) extending about 1/4" . It doesn't even extend halfway down toward the rim. very minor

but discernable. Regarding the "mystery" cents that most are convinced from viewing my poor pic that it is machine doubling and not an early stage wddo-002, anyone interested in having one sent to them

for viewing and opinion please PM me to make arrangements. I would like to have other eyes looking at them, not to mention that perhaps someone would be able to take a better photo to share with everyone

here.

There are going to be eight of them in the CPG when it comes out, the numbers were assigned over a year ago. If you look through Wexlers double die page they are listed on each of the coins above the prices where it says references.

Pitboss, your wddr-028's are cool. You said you found 177 of them---out of how many rolls ? Just trying to figure out how "common" these actually are because the wddr-002's are relatively common but

they are still highly regarded as one of the "best of the best" and I like the look of the 028's. >>

• Options

<< <i>I just open another box from a different part of the country and went through 10 rolls. I found 17 WDDR 032's and a ton with die cracks in the left boot. So many that I stopped saving them. >>

Doing the math you should find 85 in the box. Not to bad for a better priced error according to Wexler, he prices them at $20 each. Now if you could sell them for that price, wouldbe an amazing score.

• Options

<< <i>

Doing the math you should find 85 in the box. Not to bad for a better priced error according to Wexler, he prices them at $20 each. Now if you could sell them for that price, wouldbe an amazing score. >>

I have 2 boxes of them.
  • Options

<< <i>Doing the math you should find 85 in the box. Not to bad for a better priced error according to Wexler, he prices them at $20 each. >>

They sell on Ebay for .99c - $2
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    I was the first to submit Skeleton Finger to Billy Crawford and have my name credited. So I did have my own personal discovery while going through the LP2 boxes. I was very lucky on the boxes I originally ordered from the Mint. I had a blast with these coins and still am collecting them. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Doing the math you should find 85 in the box. Not to bad for a better priced error according to Wexler, he prices them at $20 each. >>

They sell on Ebay for .99c - $2 >>

We can all dream, they may one day.

• Options
    That was one impressive find Constantine! Must have been amazing to see through your loupe the first time you found one!
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those WDDR32's are a neat looking coin but I am only finding 1 or 2 per roll but that is ok as I have 100 rolls to go through. >>

PB - you got that many 001 & 2's from these bank rolls?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>

PB - you got that many 001 & 2's from these bank rolls? >>

If you found 001s & 002s in bank rolls, it would only be the 3rd known report of this.
  • Options
    The 001 and 002's came from LP2 boxes dated mostly 4/17,4/27,4/29,and 4/30.

I am not doing those anymore as I have plenty and am just working on bank boxes now.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what happened with Billy Crawford because his website is down?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file