Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks PB, refresh my memory as to when the next CPG will be released?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Supposed to be early next year.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I was at work late tonight...just read the good news. You're right, glad we were hoarding the "keys" early on and still adding to them as opportunities arise. I'm sure we will all be first in line at the bookstore or

online immediately upon release of the new CPG! I think the errors that makes it for sure is the: #1 wddr-006, #2 wddr-001, #3 wddr-002, #4 wddr-003, #5 wddr-014, #6 wddr-016, #7 wddr-025,

#8 wddr-032, #9 wddr-043, #10 wddr-050, #11 wddr-051, #12 wddr-052, #13 wddr-062, #14 wddr-095, #15 wddr-013c. That's my list. I don't see much difference between the 003 and the 011.

Since the 003 was first discovered it gets my vote for top 15 errors. Papi had put his top 12 list together and my main deviation is by including the 13c major die crack cent. Loved finding them...and as you

know, not found in trememdous numbers. Is my list complete or are there any surprises that the CPG will go with?
  • Options
    I doubt very much that they will list that many. I go with 001, 002, 003, 006, 032, 050, and maybe a couple of more (not necessarily in that order).
  • Options
    PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>I doubt very much that they will list that many. I go with 001, 002, 003, 006, 032, 050, and maybe a couple of more (not necessarily in that order). >>

Again; these have already been assigned CPG numbers. They don't receive numbers if they're not going to be in the book, from my understanding

These 7 will be in the book

ASSIGNED CPG #s

WDDR-001 ~ FS-01-2009-803
    WDDR-002 ~ FS-01-2009-802
    WDDR-006 ~ FS-01-2009-808
    WDDR-016 ~ FS-01-2009-807
    WDDR-025 ~ FS-01-2009-805
    WDDR-043 ~ FS-01-2009-801
    WDDR-050 ~ FS-01-2009-804

I do not agree with 003 or 032; just my opinion, but you have seen my list.

Speculation may be made on which additional varieties may make it in.

I suggest you cast your votes with Ken Potter.

• Options
    Do you have a contact number we can all call for Ken Potter? You are probably right Papi that only the errors already assigned a CPG number will be included. There are a few fringe ones we can hope for though

such as the 032, 13c, etc. Looking at your list of seven, I realize that I only have four of them....better get busy!
  • Options

It's on his website

mailto: KPotter256@aol.com

• Options
    Why don't we, as a group, formulate and compose a letter to Ken Potter instead of doing so individually. We could all come to a consensus opinion on the top ten (at least) that we'd like to be represented in the

CPG. I think it may have more impact that way; Ken knowing that a group that is dedicated to this series and shares information on PCGS's coin forum has formally requested certain errors inclusion. What do you

all think? Top ten? Top fifteen?
  • Options
    Don't forget Whitman publishing has only so much space available to list these things so they will probably keep down the amount they are going to list. If we get ten of them listed that would be great.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget Whitman publishing has only so much space available to list these things so they will probably keep down the amount they are going to list. If we get ten of them listed that would be great. >>

I say to add these 5, make it an even dozen

WDDR-014imageWDDR-051image

WDDR-052imageWDDR-062image

WDDR-095image

• Options

<< <i>Why don't we, as a group, formulate and compose a letter to Ken Potter instead of doing so individually. >>

Ken Potter is already in on these. Follow the link to look at his book; pages 124-126

Which by the way already lists the CPG numbers, IN PRINT, but PCGS doesn't use this book to verify varieties.

That makes me a Llorón image

Strike It Rich with Pocket Change By Ken Potter, Brian Allen
  • Options
    How about the WDDR 032 ? That looks like a good one.
  • Options

<< <i>How about the WDDR 032 ? That looks like a good one. >>

On my "Runners Up" list

WDDR-032image

I'd like to know how WDDR-006 "Skeleton Finger" was assigned THE LAST CPG number and not THE FIRST?

WDDR_006image
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget Whitman publishing has only so much space available to list these things so they will probably keep down the amount they are going to list. If we get ten of them listed that would be great. >>

No offense; that's funny. image

Is there a limit on the number of pages this book can have?
  • Options
    Sure there is. I used to work in a printing plant.

They go by either 8, 16, or 32 page increments.

The number of listings on a page can increase the book size whereby the cost of printing a book.

So depending what they want to spend on a book determines what gets put in it.
  • Options

<< <i>Sure there is. I used to work in a printing plant.

They go by either 8, 16, or 32 page increments.

The number of listings on a page can increase the book size whereby the cost of printing a book.

So depending what they want to spend on a book determines what gets put in it. >>

Very interesting PB. Thanks for the printing lesson. image
  • Options
    Your quite welcome.

I was tired of not finding much so opened another one of my good rolls with a WDDR 001 on the end.

Came up with 6- 001's, 3 -002's, 12 -003's and 6 chin whiskers.

That was fun!
  • Options
    I just picked up a few 50 roll boxes today listed new on eBay. Good price, won't last long @ $59.

PM me if you can't find. Cheers --
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Please turn on your PM Akbeez. Thanks, Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    It was on Mark -- not sure why it's not working...others have PM'd...
  • Options
    I have never found anything worthwhile in Brinks boxes.

Good luck

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Same as Papi, the brinks boxes that have the clear plastic rolls. I have only found WDDR-036's in all the ones I have opened. I ahve bought from both sides of the country and the same results.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    Was bored before work yesterday and opened 4 rolls from a box I bought some time ago.

I found 063, 066, 071 which I didn't put aside, they're not on my "keeper" list.

I also found from the four rolls; 2-050s,

and

3 late stage 006s (skeletons) with the big cracks on the obverse, but none with the huge lightning bolt crack on the reverse

Nonetheless Wexler values at $75
  • Options
    Nice finds Papi. I wish I could find some of those.
  • Options
    well, it's obvious that the late stage 006's are not going to be found in the bank box I'm currently searching. opened two more rolls today. found 3 wddr-032's and 2 wddr-025's. those are the only errors

I'm finding in this batch of rolls. not complaining, but was hoping to find those 006's too.
  • Options
    Papi, would you mind posting a pic of the wddr-006 with the die cracks obverse and reverse? I have never seen exactly what is described on Wexler's site or what you have described.
  • Options

<< <i>Papi, would you mind posting a pic of the wddr-006 with the die cracks obverse and reverse? I have never seen exactly what is described on Wexler's site or what you have described. >>

Unfortunately my computer with all my image files crashed; I do not have a way, right now, to scan or scope an image of the reverse
  • Options
    I'll have to try to get a good pic of a my much earlier stage of the die crack you're showing on the obverse. It's much harder to see and much shorter in length but does start from the rim in the same location.

Those I found in the mint issued lp2 boxes. I may have about 4 or 5 of them at most. My camera may or may not be able to zoom in clearly enough but I'll give it a shot and post it in the future if it can.

Thanks for posting what you could Papi....a shame you lost what you did. If anyone else has a pic of the reverse die crack they could share, please do. These late die stages are intriguing.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll have to try to get a good pic of a my much earlier stage of the die crack you're showing on the obverse. It's much harder to see and much shorter in length but does start from the rim in the same location. >>

• Options
    Yep...that's it Papi! I assume these were found inside lp2 mint boxes. I'm going to have to buy another bank box to look for the more dramatic cracks. Always looking for the grail.
  • Options
    I love looking through bank boxes when I find something but I have come up zero in several lately and at the price of them it gets expensive. I wish I had started on bank boxes when they first came out but I got hung up on the LP2's. I was under the false impression that there was nothing exciting happening with the bank boxes and stopped following the coins for a couple of years. BIG mistake!
  • Options
    Most of my 006's have that on them.

Does that little crack make them worth more?

I have been looking for a big dramatic crack and didn 't even see that one.
  • Options

<< <i>Most of my 006's have that on them.

Does that little crack make them worth more?

I have been looking for a big dramatic crack and didn 't even see that one. >>

Actually no; because that die was 1st paired with WDDR-007. The die had already been in use when changed to the 006, so they all display those cracks.

I think the lifecycle of the WDDO-002 is WAY cool, there are 7-8 different stages with THREE different reverses!!!

I'd like to get them all graded in one 7-coin slab.
  • Options
    Wow, this gets more confusing every day.

With my age and failing eyesight I can not get into all that.

I will leave that to you younger guys.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, this gets more confusing every day.

With my age and failing eyesight I can not get into all that.

I will leave that to you younger guys. >>

It's very easy; 8 stages of 4 die combinations. They're ALL paired with WDDO-002

WDDR-007A
    WDDR-007B

WDDR-006C
    WDDR-006D
    WDDR-006E
    WDDR-006F
    WDDR-006G

WDDO-002H
  • Options
    I would need to see them all to tell the difference between them.

I have over 100 of the 006's but they all look the same to me.
  • Options

<< <i>I would need to see them all to tell the difference between them.

I have over 100 of the 006's but they all look the same to me. >>

They ALL look the same because THEY ARE.

Maybe this will help.

LP2 SETS

WDDR-007A
    WDDR-007B

WDDR-006C : Only in ONE date LP2 boxes, narrow time window. The die didn't have any time to progress further than STAGE C

BANK BOXES : ALL other stages

WDDR-006D
    WDDR-006E
    WDDR-006F
    WDDR-006G : LARGE OBVERSE & REVERSE CRACKS

WDDO-002H : DOES NOT HAVE A DOUBLED DIE REVERSE

THESE STAGES (A-H) HAVE NOTHING TO DO with the REVERSE stages

Letters A&B can only be with WDDR-007
    Letters C thru G can only be with WDDR-006

• Options
    All of my 006's have to be stage C because they came out of LP2 boxes. I can see some of the die markers but they are tough.

The 007's are not the skeleton finger as I understand it but they had the same obverse as the 006.

• Options

<< <i>All of my 006's have to be stage C because they came out of LP2 boxes. I can see some of the die markers but they are tough.

The 007's are not the skeleton finger as I understand it but they had the same obverse as the 006. >>

CORRECT !!!!
  • Options
    Thank you Papi!

That makes my life a lot easier.

Now all I have to do is find some in mint boxes which I think is going to be next to impossible.

But I guess I will keep trying.

Do you have any hints on where to find some you would be willing to disclose?
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you Papi!

That makes my life a lot easier.

Now all I have to do is find some in mint boxes which I think is going to be next to impossible.

But I guess I will keep trying.

Do you have any hints on where to find some you would be willing to disclose? >>

Three years later? You'd have to be very lucky.

I see you're already struggling with what I went through when buying these.

In all fairness; I've been posting on these threads for years about bank boxes and nobody paid attention.
  • Options
    I know you have and I will just have to do the best I can.

I think I was quite lucky to come up with what I have already starting so late.

But as they say better late than never.

I will give it the old college try and see what I can come up with.

I can tell already that this is going to cost me some money as these boxes are getting expensive.

• Options
    Haha Pitboss...for a guy with eye problems you sure do go through alot of these. Imagine how many you'll look at once your operation is done successfully! Keep it going! I'm still debating whether to buy another

bank box. It may be too late to find that 006 late stage die crack in anything being offered today. It could be expensive to try to chase them down.
  • Options
    I have a good microscope to help me . I can not even see the 006 without it. I still have to have the catarah taken off my left eye but the right eye is still very blurry. I have lost the effects of the lasics I had done 10 years ago when they took the 1st catarac off 3 weeks ago so will need to wear glasses. Am taking vitamins for the macular degeneration to slow it down. Too young at 73 to completely lose my sight.
  • Options
    Anyone wanna buy my inventory?
  • Options
    You've come to the end of the road with these Papi? I thought you'd be the last to abandon ship. When you say "buy your inventory" do you mean excess inventory such as mint boxes unopened or are you

dumping everything you have? We are almost to the finish line in getting these recognized by the CPG, possibly TPG's, and the coin world in general. I want us all to be there together when it happens for

the celebration and our harmonized chorus of "I told you so's" to the naysayers and negative nellies. image Say it ain't so Papi image
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone wanna buy my inventory? >>

We could not afford to buy your inventory if you did want to sell it which I know you don't.
  • Options
    LOL !

I am going to make my final LP2 purchase today or tomorrow. My searching is over.

I've spent a lot looking for and finding these varieties. I never did find All of Wexler's numbers; some of the BEST eluded me, i.e. 016 & 043 (HELP!)

It's sad that I have to put ALL my non-keeper, DDRs/DDOs into the Coin-Star machine at the market, because the bank won't take them.

Each non-variety cost me from .02 to .05c, & Coin-Star will take 9.???? % of that.

But, I have comfort in knowing that they'll, one day, wind up in circulation.

I may buy what I need wholesale from another dealer/seller; but after 3+ years, I'm tired of chasing these. Not to mention the wife will divorce me.

I'm not giving up on these; I'm just not hunting anymore.

I don't think I'll EVER sell all the varieties I've amassed.

Too many coins with too many sellers driving the prices to the .99c Store.

I pass the baton. GOOD LUCK boys!!
  • Options
    I don't even have to re-roll mine. I just take them in a box to my local credit union and they run them through the counter for me.

We would hate to see you go anywhere Papi so please stay in touch here on the boards.
  • Options

<< <i>We would hate to see you go anywhere Papi so please stay in touch here on the boards. >>

Oh, I'm not going anywhere. I'm more than happy to share what I know with you fine gentlemen.

I'm just making conversation that I'm out of the buying game.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file