Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty close myself.

I will go through the 3 boxes that I have coming from discount coins but from there I will just pick up a few odds and ends here and there.

I bought hundreds of LP2 boxes early on and don't even know if I got my money back on them from what I sold early on.

I still have one of my error pr 69 coins that I did not sell and hundreds of the 001's, 002's, 003's, and 004's so will see what happens next
    year.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Papi, I appreciate your need to disengage on the hunt. Especially if the marriage requires. I took a year off as well but came back as I believe these have legs and they are just fun to find.

What other uber-modern varieties are out there in the wild? These are interesting because of the predictability of the lp2 boxes AND the mystery of the bank boxes. Your insights have been valuable contributions to the hobby. Thank you.

Stay in touch, this is just a beginning.

- Ak
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love looking through bank boxes when I find something but I have come up zero in several lately and at the price of them it gets expensive. I wish I had started on bank boxes when they first came out but I got hung up on the LP2's. I was under the false impression that there was nothing exciting happening with the bank boxes and stopped following the coins for a couple of years. BIG mistake! >>

The boxes were more expensive when these first came out in 2009, they averaged about $150-225. So if you can find them for around $100 dlvd that is not to awful bad. Mike
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    You guys just got me searching again for these errors, I stopped in the beginning of 2010. Kind of sad to see you guys stopping, but I know the feeling as I did it also. Maybe one day you will get the bug again like I did from reading the new posts here on the forum. Best of Luck to you guys. I have seen a lot of these going so cheap on Ebay, there are a few major players there on Ebay selling these errors. Two of them mainly, They should raise there prices and keep the prices up and quit under cutting each other, then the prices could go back up to a more profitable range. Mike
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sit back and let all your hard (hunting) work pay off,esp. since we will see in the upcoming CPG. Thanks for all the teaching!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    What I have never been able to understand is why third party graders have taken such a hard stance against these coins especially when

the CPG guide has issued numbers for some of them. The US Mint is making a joke of the ASE's right now but the TPG's are going

right along with them in grading "S" minted coins without the "S" , which only benefits the rich people that can afford to send in unopened

monster boxes and not the poor collectors, but can not bring themselves to grade obvious errors on these coins. Is it because customers

like all the tv shows are not demanding it? I know they are a big part of the business today and it is not fair to the little guy on the block.

Good luck to everybody on these coins, I hope you will find lots of them in your hunt. I, like Papi, will still be here and buying a few but will

not be spending thousands of dollars like I have in the past.
  • Options
    PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>I have seen a lot of these going so cheap on Ebay, there are a few major players there on Ebay selling these errors. Two of them mainly, They should raise there prices and keep the prices up and quit under cutting each other, then the prices could go back up to a more profitable range. >>

The guy in SC sells more different varieties than the one in OK; I think I got the locales correct.

Prices are low because of the sheer number of sellers competing for a limited audience; plus summertime is not the best time to sell on Ebay

Makes me wonder if they just sell for something to do, or they really need the $1
  • Options
    You hit the nail on the head with the limited audience and the summer.

We need the TPG's to step up and recognize these coins to make them move off dead center.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    << I have seen a lot of these going so cheap on Ebay, there are a few major players there on Ebay selling these errors. Two of them mainly, They should raise there prices and keep the prices up and quit under cutting each other, then the prices could go back up to a more profitable range. >>

This is exactly the reason I stopped selling these on Ebay. These few players were constantly undercutting the other and driving the prices below what I personally perceived their value to be. Good for the

collector, bad for the seller (me) . So I decided to keep searching and hoarding; waiting for the day that the major publications and grading companies came around in recognizing them ( image )

That day is coming soon! I look at Wexler's site where he has values attached to the "best of" errors. Not sure how he arrived at some of his pricing. Can you get a wddr-006 graded ms65 by Anacs for $75?

Better question...would you sell one after paying grading fees, shipping charges, etc. for $75? Guess that's an argument for another time. Once the rest of the world catches up to these. In the meantime

I'm going back to my searching....good luck in yours.....doubled thumbs up imageimage
  • Options

<< <i> I look at Wexler's site where he has values attached to the "best of" errors. Not sure how he arrived at some of his pricing. Can you get a wddr-006 graded ms65 by Anacs for $75?

Better question...would you sell one after paying grading fees, shipping, etc. for $75? Guess that's an argument for another time. >>

I haven't seen any graded Skeletons for a long time.

IF you could find a buyer; I figure acquiring, grading, and selling an 006 in ANACS MS65 would cost around $25; 200% profit.

But with sellers, including contributors to this forum, selling these raw from $9-$14; unless it graded higher than MS65, why would anyone buy for $75?

Coppercoins lists the WDDR-006 in MS65 for $30; close to my estimated costs to find and grade them yourself. But at $30 you may lose money buying a raw coin and having it graded.

For that matter, this site only list two (006 and 060) for $30 in MS65. Based on their values; other 2009 varieties wouldn't be worth grading unless higher than 65

So, who has a better valuation when factoring costs?
  • Options
    Papi, I was thinking that acquiring, grading, listing fees, shipping ....would cost more in the $40-$50 range. That's why $75 seemed ridiculously low for such a rare error. Just my opinion. Again, once these

are recognized by the CPG, major grading companies, and the general collecting public I believe these values will escalate and the days of finding one of these raw for $9-$14 will be a faded memory. The individual

errors will be rated according to the rarity of the variety and their die stages.
  • Options
    Did anyone here pick up any of those three 4/27 boxes that just sold on ebay? The first one went off in the $17 range and by the time the

3rd one went off it was $25 and change. Those will contain 001's, 002's, 003's, and chin whiskers. I have tons of those already.
  • Options
    Not me Pitboss...I've passed on a few recent auctions where the price didn't warrant adding more of the same to my collection. There is one on Ebay right now for a 4/21 9:30ish box that will have 002's in it

going for around $12 total. Just don't need any more 002's ... but a new collector would be happy with this box. Like you and Papi, I am getting more and more conservative and selective with my purchases.

• Options

<< <i>Papi, I was thinking that acquiring, grading, listing fees, shipping ....would cost more in the $40-$50 range. That's why $75 seemed ridiculously low for such a rare error. Just my opinion. Again, once these

are recognized by the CPG, major grading companies, and general collecting public I believe these values will escalate and the days of finding one of these raw for $9-$14 will be a faded memory. The individual

errors will be rated according to the rarity of the variety and their die stages. >>

I just looked at ANACS fees. It costs $15-$19 per coin (minimum 5), plus $20 in return shipping. So each coin costs $19-$23 to grade (min 5); and that doesn't include shipping to them.

So, to buy a raw WDDR-006 coin and hope that it will grade ANACS 65 will cost $32-$37+

PCGS will cost $42.50 per coin, and doesn't include their annual $49 membership fee, or shipping to them.

But, if you get a 68 from PCGS, it might be Moon Money
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>We would hate to see you go anywhere Papi so please stay in touch here on the boards. >>

Oh, I'm not going anywhere. I'm more than happy to share what I know with you fine gentlemen.

I'm just making conversation that I'm out of the buying game. >>

Did you receive my PM? Mike

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I won the box @ $19.76, got distracted having lunch and missed the first and the last..

What's funny is my daughter recently had a penny contest at school where each class had to fill a jug with pennies. Although that was just one part of the overall competition she didn't tell me about it until the night before the contest ended and well, she asked me for pennies so we opened and unwrapped approx. 150 LP2 Rolls and put them in a bank bag which she later got to pour into the jug. I wonder what I missed... image
  • Options
    You mean you didn't check them for errors.

Congrats on winning that 2nd auction. I figured someone here had to be bidding on them.
  • Options

<< <i>You mean you didn't check them for errors.

Congrats on winning that 2nd auction. I figured someone here had to be bidding on them. >>

No, didn't check them, didn't really have the time. She did have fun dumping them into the jug and it made a big shiney layer...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You mean you didn't check them for errors.

Congrats on winning that 2nd auction. I figured someone here had to be bidding on them. >>

No, didn't check them, didn't really have the time. She did have fun dumping them into the jug and it made a big shiney layer... >>

And FUN is what it's all about !

• Options
    And FUN is what it's all about ! image

imageimage
  • Options
    Speaking of fun I just received my 3 boxes from discount coin, have gone through 4 rolls so far and fount five WDDR 025's and three WDDR 032's plus 20 die cracks through the mallet. Having gone through so many boxes and finding $hit this is fun. Only 146 more rolls to go through.
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of fun I just received my 3 boxes from discount coin, have gone through 4 rolls so far and fount five WDDR 025's and three WDDR 032's plus 20 die cracks through the mallet. Having gone through so many boxes and finding $hit this is fun. Only 146 more rolls to go through. >>

Not bad, so you 025s are costing you about $2 each.

Me and my big mouth image LOL !!
  • Options
    If I keep getting them at the rate I am it is not that much each. I am also getting 032's.
  • Options

<< <i>If I keep getting them at the rate I am it is not that much each. I am also getting 032's. >>

Well, you can factor those into the total; but it's not a true cost per coin, since each coin is a unique variety.

If I have a box you paid $125 for producing 5 different varieties, and only 10 of "The Best Of", they still cost you $12.50 each to find them; because you may never sell the others.
  • Options
    Yes I know. I wish it were easy. I am getting more 032's now than 025 but I expected that.
  • Options
    I'm still slugging away at the one bank box I purchased from the same source as Pitboss is currently talking about. I'm seeing a ratio oveall in my searches of about 4-1 032's to 025's .

I'm also finding several die cracks. The reverse rim into the mallet and the obverse die crack from the rim through the "s" in "trust" are the two cool ones although not obviously rare in any sense.

I went through three rolls today: 2- wddr-025's 6- wddr-032's total. The other day I only found one 032 and zero 025's out of two rolls, yep, completely skunked on one roll!

I saw one of the better "best of" cents for sale on Ebay today, forgot the wddr #, but one of the best of the best. The price wasn't bad and it was one that I didn't have in my collection.

Luckily the pics were clear closeups so it kept me from pulling the trigger. A huge thumb print covered almost the entire reverse! A reminder to us all to practice careful handling of these!

• Options
    I opened a roll yesterday from a box dated 4/22, I'm half way through the roll and nothing. Bad thing is I dropped quiet a few in the sink. Seems my hands don't work too good and I likely need my eyes checked. It's tough getting old...
  • Options

<< <i>I opened a roll yesterday from a box dated 4/22, I'm half way through the roll and nothing. Bad thing is I dropped quiet a few in the sink. Seems my hands don't work too good and I likely need my eyes checked. It's tough getting old... >>

Old ? Your daughter had a penny contest at school; was it Yale ?
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I opened a roll yesterday from a box dated 4/22, I'm half way through the roll and nothing. Bad thing is I dropped quiet a few in the sink. Seems my hands don't work too good and I likely need my eyes checked. It's tough getting old... >>

Old ? Your daughter had a penny contest at school; was it Yale ? >>

Maybe Casman is really Larry King.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still slugging away at the one bank box I purchased from the same source as Pitboss is currently talking about. I'm seeing a ratio oveall in my searches of about 4-1 032's to 025's .

I'm also finding several die cracks. The reverse rim into the mallet and the obverse die crack from the rim through the "s" in "trust" are the two cool ones although not obviously rare in any sense.

I went through three rolls today: 2- wddr-025's 6- wddr-032's total. The other day I only found one 032 and zero 025's out of two rolls, yep, completely skunked on one roll!

I saw one of the better "best of" cents for sale on Ebay today, forgot the wddr #, but one of the best of the best. The price wasn't bad and it was one that I didn't have in my collection.

Luckily the pics were clear closeups so it kept me from pulling the trigger. A huge thumb print covered almost the entire reverse! A reminder to us all to practice careful handling of these! >>

Back to the grind of going through some more rolls. Just got done watching the Red Sox beat the White Sox with a home run in the 9th inning so I am excited about finding some more 025's.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm still slugging away at the one bank box I purchased from the same source as Pitboss is currently talking about. I'm seeing a ratio oveall in my searches of about 4-1 032's to 025's .

Luckily the pics were clear closeups so it kept me from pulling the trigger. A huge thumb print covered almost the entire reverse! A reminder to us all to practice careful handling of these! >>

Back to the grind of going through some more rolls. Just got done watching the Red Sox beat the White Sox with a home run in the 9th inning so I am excited about finding some more 025's. >>

I have just finished 20 rolls:
    15 WDDR 025
    44 WDDR 032
    105 die cracks
  • Options

<< <i>
    I have just finished 20 rolls:
    15 WDDR 025
    44 WDDR 032
    105 die cracks >>

Not bad. Close to one "Best Of" per roll is good.

More than you had before I convinced you guys to look.
  • Options
    Thank you Papi.

I was not even aware of just how many good errors were in the mint boxes.

I still have 130 rolls to go from these boxes. I have 7 rolls with 032 on the end and 1 roll with 025 on the end also.

I have only checked the ends on 2 of my 3 boxes so I am sure there is more.

Than God for my dino light.

• Options

<< <i>Thank you Papi.

I was not even aware of just how many good errors were in the mint boxes.

I still have 130 rolls to go from these boxes. I have 7 rolls with 032 on the end and 1 roll with 025 on the end also.

I have only checked the ends on 2 of my 3 boxes so I am sure there is more.

Than God for my dino light. >>

Well, I suggest you petition Ken Potter to have your 032s included in the CPG; because they sell on Ebay for about $4, once in a blue moon.

I found similar rolls at my local coin shop. I have a bag of hundreds of 032s
  • Options
    I really don't feel the 032's should be added to the top ten list.

They are just not quite in the same category as the 006, 001,002 025 and all the rest of the list even though they are kind of neat.

They too are an also ran.

I too have a couple of hundred of these and will have a bunch more when I get through looking at these boxes I have.

Ken Potter has his own agenda and he is not going to change it with or without my contacting him I'm afraid. but I will give it a try.
  • Options
    Just finished my final tally for 50 rolls;
    WDDR 025=34
    WDDR 032=81

It's a lot of work going through these rolls guys.

Out of the 3 boxes I got 11 rolls with 032 on the end and 2 rolls with 025 on the end.

I think I will take a few days off before going through my last 2 boxes.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    great job guys!
    i've been following this thread since the start.
    pitboss which die cracks did you find?
    figglehorn
  • Options
    I found the die cracks that are from the edge of the coin through the mallet and on the obverse they are about on inch long from the edge of the coin thru the "S" in trust.
  • Options
    Well, I finished my 4/22 box...I only found 5 with small die cracks which are horizontal and to the to the right of the log to the rim.
  • Options
    I have found nothing in 4/20,4/21,4/22,4/24,4/30 after 10;00 AM, or anything after 4/30 myself.
  • Options

<< <i>I have found nothing in 4/20,4/21,4/22,4/24,4/26, or anything after 4/30 myself. >>

I have found in 4/20 boxes WDDO-001 and WDDR-004, 4/22 had WDRR-005 and 008, 4/24 WDDR-005 and 008 in them, 4/26 was a weekend I believe so not boxes were dated on 4/26.

• Options
    According to my records I have found wddr-005's in the only 4/21 box I opened, wddr-008 in my 4/22 box, wddr-005's / 008's / 023 in my 4/24 boxes, and wddr-004's in the 4/30 boxes. I did not open

a 4/20 or 4/26 box at all. Of course, as we know, the time on the box is just as important as the date. Early on the batch numbers were considered important but I didn't see any supporting evidence

for that in my searches. One date that I was inadvertantly sent by a seller and I just had him do a partial refund instead of returning it was a 5/1 dated box. I found (1) wddr-004, (11) wddr-011's, and

(1) wddr-013 stage "C" die crack (forgot now what the new designation is, but one of my favorites) . Someone else reported finding a few errors in the early May boxes besides this date. Always cool to

find the unexpected!
  • Options

<< <i>According to my records I have found wddr-005's in the only 4/21 box I opened, wddr-008 in my 4/22 box, wddr-005's / 008's / 023 in my 4/24 boxes, and wddr-004's in the 4/30 boxes. I did not open

a 4/20 or 4/26 box at all. Of course, as we know, the time on the box is just as important as the date. Early on the batch numbers were considered important but I didn't see any supporting evidence

for that in my searches. One date that I was inadvertantly sent by a seller and I just had him do a partial refund instead of returning it was a 5/1 dated box. I found (1) wddr-004, (11) wddr-011's, and

(1) wddr-013 stage "C" die crack (forgot now what the new designation is, but one of my favorites) . Someone else reported finding a few errors in the early May boxes besides this date. Always cool to

find the unexpected! >>

What I posted was my results with the dated boxes I mentioned, I do know certain boxes time were the key to them, one is 4/23. If you go over a certain time you most likely will not find the king WDDR-006. Also there is no boxes dated 4/26, it was a Sunday and they did not work weekends. Also are you sure about the 4/24 boxes and finding the WDDR-023 in them? I opened a few of them and did not see that one. Thanks

• Options
    Yes CoinCrazy.....found just one of the wddr-023's in a 4/24 box / time 07:16. I had other boxes of the same date and time with none found. The rest of the errors I found were the 005's and 8's.

It may be that I missed a few because they're not as pronounced an error as others. Not a "best of" variety and not easily seen, even through a loupe. The 4/26 date is as you say non-existent.

Anyone else find anything significant in boxes dated May 1st and on?
  • Options
    Anyone else find anything significant in boxes dated May 1st and on?

Yes here are my results. 5/1-5/5 I found a range in them:

5/1 004,011,012

5/5 002,006,007 and one roll with WDDR-007 on the end. 006's were at most one in a couple of the rolls, not every roll. So I would not buy them hoping to find them in quantity.

5/6 WDDO-001

• Options

<< <i>I won the box @ $19.76, got distracted having lunch and missed the first and the last..

What's funny is my daughter recently had a penny contest at school where each class had to fill a jug with pennies. Although that was just one part of the overall competition she didn't tell me about it until the night before the contest ended and well, she asked me for pennies so we opened and unwrapped approx. 150 LP2 Rolls and put them in a bank bag which she later got to pour into the jug. I wonder what I missed... image >>

Well, my 4/27 box arrived...Guess I didn't fully read the listing...The box was obviously opened already as noted by the roll orientations listed...OOps

All went well nonetheless, pulled out (14) DDr's, will take me some time to get back up to speed as far as which ones they are.
  • Options
    All of a sudden there's a glut of LP1-LP5 sets being offered on Ebay...with the LP2 boxes being the driver of the sales because they're all April dated boxes. Interesting timing, or is it that these sellers are

members here and are paying attention to this thread and striking while the iron is hot? I've seen 4/15, 16, 17, and 21 listed tonight so far. Most of the times are not in the sweet spot but the 16 is close

and I didn't open a 17 from the afternoon hours...could be good. These are NOT mine nor do I know the seller (s) . I'm not purchasing because I don't need more of the LP1's, 3's, or 4's and I have enough

wddr-001's and 2's already in my hoard. I will eventually have to get an LP5 to complete the changeover designs. I think I can pick one of those up pretty cheap individually. I was just amazed tonight at

how many new listings came up considering there have been very few in the last couple of months. Is anyone here the seller? I don't recognize the seller's handles...new players as far as I know.
  • Options

<< <i> I'm not purchasing because I don't need more of the LP1's, 3's, or 4's and I have enough wddr-001's and 2's already in my hoard. >>

And who do the members of this thread think they are going to sell their "hoard" to? Other hoarders?

Had these been found only in bank boxes, instead of LP2 sets, it would be a much better sellers market.
  • Options
    I'm glad they were found initially inside lp2 boxes. Saved me alot of time and money once I could target my purchases by date and time. I am enjoying looking through this bank box I bought but now I know

I will only find two significant errors in all 50 rolls; wddr-025 and 032. This knowledge makes the effort of opening them all to put them into 2x2's a little tedious and anticlimactic. I can't imagine how much

money I would have spent and how large the pile of cents would be had they only been found in bank boxes. My non-numismatic-collecting-wife would have had something to say about that I'm sure. lol

As it is she indulges me in what little I spend on my hobby as long as these errors have an upside in the end. With the lp2's at the beginning it was like Christmas morning when I looked through

the single "P" roll to discover its treasure hidden within. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy another bank box unless I know that it contains the wddr-006 late stage die cracks. image

p.s. the next post is #500.....who's it gonna be?
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file