Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    opened up my first bank roll yesterday...nada, zip, zilch! so much more fun going through a mint box ... image
  • Options
    PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice pics papi, thanks for the overlay.
    now I can see where all these clashes come from. >>

Not my pics, came from the website in the link
  • Options
    What does my marker on the reverse of the Catfish Abe look like to you Papi? The one I noted that's between his left wrist and leg (our right facing) I also don't have the patience to send it in to Wexler.
  • Options

<< <i>What does my marker on the reverse of the Catfish Abe look like to you Papi? The one I noted that's between his left wrist and leg (our right facing) I also don't have the patience to send it in to Wexler. >>

I can see the raised metal you're talking about in the picture I posted. It looks like a clash mark from the obverse.
  • Options
    die crack boot

In opening a bank roll I found four samples of a die crack coming off his right boot (this one pictured is off his left boot and much more dramatic). The die crack is only about a quarter inch in length from the

bottom of his boot and is inline with the strap. It does not extend into the rim nor even comes close. I also found one sample of a large round die chip that is on his right leg just below his knee that looks like he

lost part of his lower leg. that's it though...no doubled die varieties. I'm not able to take pics at this time, but wanted to share my humble finds. imageimage a doubled thumbs up to you all!
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand how these die clashes are formed or for that matter anything about them. I just know I have a ton of them. >>

It happens when the feeder misses putting in a blank and the two dies hit dies hit themselves.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Thank You for the explanation . I wondered how it happened.
  • Options

It happens when the feeder misses putting in a blank and the two dies hit dies hit themselves.

Really? ...and then? the die gets mis-shapen and transfers the clash marks onto the next blank planchet?
  • Options

<< <i>

Really? ...and then? the die gets mis-shapen and transfers the clash marks onto the next blank planchet? >>

Correct

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options
    so all of the catfish abes for example were made with one set of dies (alot of them found) with the obverse the more dramatic but the reverse also having distinctive markers as previously discussed. or is it

that several dies failed (or the blank planchet injector did) in exactly the same way (as I said these were VERY commom and found within several dates of the lp2 boxes) . is there any other reason that could cause

these clashes? just trying to learn...
  • Options
  • Options
    Jumpin' Jehosophat! This guy does a very good business on Ebay but this is incredible. Is he a forum member? I see his listing all of the time, from nice graded examples to raw packages. All I can say is...WOW!

Probably what put him over was the "free shipping" !
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I have a roll showing both double thumbs on each end. Never opened it.
  • Options
    This roll that just sold for this huge premium, I'm guessing a little (but do record my findings as I search) probably came out of a 4/29 box around early to mid-afternoon. Anyone else have different data or

possibilities? I have a few rolls, unsearched, that have nice errors showing on the ends. I'd better go back and double check. If I have something similar you'll see them on Ebay soon...got to strike while

the fire is hot as they say! Go check your inventory now!!!! Good luck and a doubled die thumbs up to all of you! imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>OMG !!

DID YOU SEE THIS ???

~Monster~ 2009 Lincoln US Mint Roll WDDR-001 & WDDR-002 Error Ends Formative LP2

No, it's not mine >>

I have 3 rolls like that , one with 002 on both ends. one with 001 on one end, and one with 002 on 1 end.

They are not worth that kind of money.
  • Options
    I just went into my boxes marked "unopened error rolls" and re-discovered that I have 3 skeleton finger (006) end rolls, 2 double thumbs (002), and 1 spine and thumb knuckle (005)....the 006's obviously have

the greatest potential if I decide to sell the unopened rolls. Exciting to see a possible increase in interest by the collecting public and values.

p.s. I had also found an unopened roll with a "Catfish Abe" on the end...lol....I guess I thought at the time that it had some significance. Now I've just opened the roll and just five coins into it I've found an 003,

an 002, and two Catfish! I'll have to check my catalog to see what date and time this roll came from...should have it logged.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great!!! Now this is what I'm talking about! Good for him and good for the guy that bought it. Stories like this gives us hope. I'm telling you, these will catch FIRE!!! Oh, I too have some of those same end rolls. Thank you buyer. For getting us excited.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Ok...completed my search of the roll that had the Catfish Abe on the end. Determined from my log that it came from a box dated : 4/27 time 12:26. Well all in all a pretty good roll...

The Catfish were jumpin' as I got 10 of those (whoopee!) alright so that's not THAT exciting. But I did find (2) wddr-001's, (12) wddr-002's, and (5) wddr-003's .... so more than a third of the

roll had "best of" errors...that was fun! I also need to take a picture because I found something on five of the 002's that I'd never seen before. Maybe someone here has seen it and can share their

pics. On the obverse side of these above Lincoln's head and into the lettering is severe pitting in the metal. I don't know if there's any super significance here but it was VERY interesting to see through

my loupe. I have seen hundreds of the 002's and never come across this pitting. Input or edification?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Yes the 4/29 are prime boxes. Most of mine fall between 4/27-4/29.
  • Options

<< <i>They are not worth that kind of money. >>

I agree with you Pitboss

The sum of the parts is not worth that kind of money right now.

They could have bought your full roll for less.

Do you think the seller might be buying his own stuff to drive up prices? All the listings are private.

I'm naive about such things,

Certainly I'm not impugning anyone's integrity, but makes one wonder.
  • Options
    I was hoping the seller "dengarsan" was one of the family here. I'd love to get his perspective since he's such a major seller of this series.
  • Options

best pics I can take to show the pitted obverse that I described earlier in this thread with the wddr-002 reverse. has anyone come across this before?

• Options
    I have several rolls like most you guys have, 006 on one end, WDDR-002 and 003 on each end several others I would go and look at to list them all.

• Options
    Following this thread kinda put the bug in me to open some rolls. So I grabbed one of the bank boxes I have had since 2009 and I had written on top what I found in the few rolls I opened. There were WDDR-063, 66, 67, 71 and WDDO-002H, which is the last stage obverse from WDDR-006 in them. So I opened a roll and found something I would never of expected in it, two early stage WDDR-006's in there. So I have the beginning of WDDR-006 and the end of that one the WDDO-002H with the big die crack on the obverse and no Rev Doubling in the same bank box. Truly amazed me to say the least, plus it is the first skeleton I have found besides the LP 2 boxes.

• Options

<< <i>best pics I can take to show the pitted obverse that I described earlier in this thread with the wddr-002 reverse. has anyone come across this before?

Looks like it was struck thru grease, no added value.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They are not worth that kind of money. >>

I agree with you Pitboss

The sum of the parts is not worth that kind of money right now.

They could have bought your full roll for less.

Do you think the seller might be buying his own stuff to drive up prices? All the listings are private.

I'm naive about such things,

Certainly I'm not impugning anyone's integrity, but makes one wonder. >>

The full roll I have on there expires Sunday and when it does it will just get put away with all the others. I really don't need to sell any of these including the unopened boxes I have.
  • Options

<< <i> So I opened a roll and found something I would never of expected in it, two early stage WDDR-006's in there. >>

Take a closer look. I've opened similar rolls, and the skeletons have the, later stage, obverse crack at the bottom of the vest.
  • Options

<< <i>best pics I can take to show the pitted obverse that I described earlier in this thread with the wddr-002 reverse. has anyone come across this before? >>

Looks like either a flawed planchet, or a damaged die.

I agree no added value.
  • Options
    I didn't think there was any premium for the pitting but thought it was interesting since it only showed on five of the twelve 002's found in that roll.

I have a question about the bank box being opened and discovering such nice errors. You said you bought the bank box in 2009. Have you found errors in all of the rolls you've examined? The reason I ask

is I purchased some bank rolls but have basically blanked on anything important, just a few die crack examples. I guess these were minted after the rash of errors and their causes were rectlfied by the mint.

Is there a way to determine whether a bank box is an early release (April) or not?
  • Options

<< <i> I guess these were minted after the rash of errors and their causes were rectified by the mint. >>

Nothing was ever rectified by the mint. They had only 3 months to produce these dies/coins and get them into circulation before the next scheduled reverse.

There was no time for quality control. That's why there are over 100 Formative varieties.

The only time the dies were taken from service is when they failed/cracked/wore out.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> So I opened a roll and found something I would never of expected in it, two early stage WDDR-006's in there. >>

Take a closer look. I've opened similar rolls, and the skeletons have the, later stage, obverse crack at the bottom of the vest. >>

I did the two WDDR-006 do not have the large obverse die crack, but in the same roll had the WDDO-002 stage H with the large die crack. This was paired with the WDDR-006 at the beginning after WDDR-007 . Then it went on to WDDO-002 stage H and had the no rev double die for the stage H. Just shocked to find them both in the same roll. Basically it is from almost the beginning to the end of that obverse die in the same roll.

• Options

<< <i>I didn't think there was any premium for the pitting but thought it was interesting since it only showed on five of the twelve 002's found in that roll.

I have a question about the bank box being opened and discovering such nice errors. You said you bought the bank box in 2009. Have you found errors in all of the rolls you've examined? The reason I ask

is I purchased some bank rolls but have basically blanked on anything important, just a few die crack examples. I guess these were minted after the rash of errors and their causes were rectlfied by the mint.

Is there a way to determine whether a bank box is an early release (April) or not? >>

I bought sealed boxes, almost every box I opened out of fifteen or so had errors except for two boxes. Most boxes have four different runs in them usually. My guess is the rolls you are buying probably came from boxes someone opened and went through several rolls and found no errors. . So they are probably selling them individually now. I would suggest trying to buy boxes from different sources in different states and see which states yield the best results. Or go to you local BM stores and buy single rolls from them, because most could care less about these errors right now, and I would not buy them from ebay. Years ago I did and did not have problems finding errors from rolls from ebay, but now I would not trust them.

• Options

<< <i>Take a closer look.

I did the two WDDR-006 do not have the large obverse die crack >>

I'd find that very surprising too.

I recently found a WDDR-006D in the same roll as WDDO-002H.

The problem with identifying 006, sometimes, is the number of Obverse & Reverse pairs

It can be confusing:

Reverse WDDR-007A is paired with WDDO-002 Stage A
    Reverse WDDR-007B is paired with WDDO-002 Stage B

"The Skeleton"
    Reverse WDDR-006A is paired with WDDO-002 Stage C; A die crack runs north to south to the right of the bottom of the center fold of the vest.
    Reverse WDDR-006B is paired with WDDO-002 Stage D; (my guess) it gets longer ??
    Reverse WDDR-006C is paired with WDDO-002 Stage E; (my guess) it gets longer still ??
    Reverse WDDR-006D is paired with WDDO-002 Stage F; The die crack at the bottom of the vest is now very long and very strong extending all the way to the rim
    Reverse WDDR-006E is paired with WDDO-002 Stage G; The die crack runs through the right side of the A in STATES ending in the field to the left of Lincoln’s eyes.

WDDO-002 Stage H is now paired with a new reverse that is not a doubled die.

So, if I read Mr Wexler's info correctly; however faint it may be, the "Skeleton Finger" does not exist without a "vest crack" on the obverse.
  • Options

<< <i>I bought sealed boxes, almost every box I opened out of fifteen or so had errors except for two boxes. Most boxes have four different runs in them usually. My guess is the rolls you are buying probably came from boxes someone opened and went through several rolls and found no errors. >>

On the contrary, I've spent the last 3 years going through bank boxes and rolls.

Not to say I'm an authority, by any stretch, but I have seen more boxes than I care to admit.

I still get yelled at each time one comes to the door.
  • Options
    I was replying to Onedollarnohollar about buying single rolls from ebay now a days. I don't trust them unless it is a sealed box. Not to say they are all like that but the odds have to be against you. This is just my opinion.

On the contrary, I've spent the last 3 years going through bank boxes and rolls.

Not to say I'm an authority, by any stretch, but I have seen more boxes than I care to admit.

I still get yelled at each time one comes to the door.

• Options

Oops, my bad
  • Options
    Your experiences with bank rolls is interesting. These rolls don't appear to be re-rolled and the coins within don't seem to have been handled by someone searching them. I just think I happened upon an

error free lot (what are the odds according to our critics of collecting these at all?) . I will search a couple more rolls and see what I find. If I purchased a bank box, what do you think would be

the earliest date that might produce some of those 002h's or late stage 006's you are talking about? I'd love to see one under my loupe. That would be exciting!
  • Options

<< <i>Your experiences with bank rolls is interesting. These rolls don't appear to be re-rolled and the coins within don't seem to have been handled by someone searching them. I just think I happened upon an error free lot (what are the odds according to our critics of collecting these at all?) . I will search a couple more rolls and see what I find. If I purchased a bank box, what do you think would be the earliest date that might produce some of those 002h's or late stage 006's you are talking about? I'd love to see one under my loupe. That would be exciting! >>

I think you're going to have to buy bank rolls from CoinCrazyPa. He's had these boxes for years, he didn't just acquire them.

You may have the perception that bank rolls are a bonanza for finding varieties; they're not! It's hard work, and pot luck.

If you're not in a position to put $10 in a slot machine for one handle pull, then you are going to be very disappointed.

You could easily find nothing but $25 worth of non-variety pennies in a bank box, that you spent $100 for.
  • Options
    I'm sure you're right Papi about this. This is why I have stuck to the lp2 boxes until just recently. This is a hobby for me so I don't mind striking out in search of the errors not found in the mint boxes. The

search is what it's all about for me. Some people spend alot of money on coins, lotto, and collectibles in general. I am spending pennies (ok, cents) to satisfy my itch in collecting. With what I have found

next to what I've invested in these, I am way ahead. I just purchased a bank box that hasn't been received yet so I'll let you know how that "$10 slot pull" went. lol

In the meantime...good luck to all in their searches....a doubled thumbs up to you all!

imageimage
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said. I agree entirely. The Lincoln cent has to be the most sought after coin in the hobby! For the same reason you mentioned. Esp. for the youth. How can anybody go wrong for the price?When receiving these pennies at the bank ( for face) is the best deal around!That being said, the Lincoln is so,so profitable,in so many aspects.So many keys,varieties,errors,and ones in great,great condition no matter what year. The Lincoln cent is here to stay! Thanks Abe!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure you're right Papi about this. This is why I have stuck to the lp2 boxes until just recently. This is a hobby for me so I don't mind striking out in search of the errors not found in the mint boxes. The

search is what it's all about for me. Some people spend alot of money on coins, lotto, and collectibles in general. I am spending pennies (ok, cents) to satisfy my itch in collecting. With what I have found

next to what I've invested in these, I am way ahead. I just purchased a bank box that hasn't been received yet so I'll let you know how that "$10 slot pull" went. lol

In the meantime...good luck to all in their searches....a doubled thumbs up to you all!

imageimage >>

OK, I just bought a box too. They will not be here for a few days and I go in for my eye operation Monday so will not be looking at them for at least a week or so but it will give me something to do when I get around to it. Cheap entertainment!
  • Options

<< <i>OK, I just bought a box too. They will not be here for a few days and I go in for my eye operation Monday so will not be looking at them for at least a week or so but it will give me something to do when I get around to it. Cheap entertainment! >>

I saw that box for sale and was tempted to buy, and would have if the shipping was included.

That works out to a $97 slot pull.

• Options
    Not a biggie! I blew $500 yesterday at the local casino because I didn't have anything to do.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Folks-

Please forgive me if this info is readily apparent in this thread but I didn't see it.

I have five white boxes with two LP2 rolls each which I ordered from The Mint. Each is marked "LP2 with a bar code as well as "9883 08:01 or 08:02 and 04/24/09"

Are there any potential striking errors in these boxes?

Thanks very much for any info.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    I have not found any in those dated boxes but you never know.

You might want to open them up and see what is in there as you will not get much if you sell them.

It will probably cost more to ship them than they are worth.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the info Pitboss!!

The LP1 boxes were the gems. I wish that I had bought more of them.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Folks-

Please forgive me if this info is readily apparent in this thread but I didn't see it.

I have five white boxes with two LP2 rolls each which I ordered from The Mint. Each is marked "LP2 with a bar code as well as "9883 08:01 or 08:02 and 04/24/09"

Are there any potential striking errors in these boxes?

Thanks very much for any info. >>

I did find 1, only one, Skeleton Finger in a 4/24 box once, but I don't remember what the time on the box was.

There may be other minor varieties there, but nothing major.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I might open them and take a look when I have time.
  • Options
    Just going through a bank roll and finding what looks to be a wddo-002 with no die crack and no 006 reverse. of the 50 coins I found about 15 like it. anyone who's looked at these enough knows what the

wddo 002 looks like. I will say that it's not quite as pronounced as what I was used to seeing, but it is there. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'll look them over again tomorrow and try to post a pic. Too

tired tonight. Let me know if this has been found before....again it has no die crack on the obverse with the doubled date and no skeleton finger reverse.....
  • Options

<< <i>Just going through a bank roll and finding what looks to be a wddo-002 with no die crack and no 006 reverse. of the 50 coins I found about 15 like it. anyone who's looked at these enough knows what the

wddo 002 looks like. I will say that it's not quite as pronounced as what I was used to seeing, but it is there. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'll look them over again tomorrow and try to post a pic. Too

tired tonight. Let me know if this has been found before....again it has no die crack on the obverse with the doubled date and no skeleton finger reverse..... >>

It could be a WDDO-016, they look similar

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file