BTW

I'm Buying Wexler #s

WDDO-010 stage C

WDDR~006 stage E

016, 043, 049, 057, 062, 097 stage B

I'm interested in quantities from 25 or more
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Wish I had some to sell ya Papi ! How much are those going for individually, especially the 006 stage E ?
  • Options
    PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>Wish I had some to sell ya Papi ! How much are those going for individually, especially the 006 stage E ? >>

Don't know. Last one I saw was listed for $99, but that was over a year ago, or longer.

Apparently they are very scarce, since the die failed shortly after the BIG CRACK.

Wexler prices is on his site at $75 in MS65. I think that's underpriced.

However, it is the "Skeleton Finger"; but I suppose only those interested in collecting stages would buy it.
  • Options
    I've mentioned this before, not sure what stage applies, but I have a few of the 006's with a thin die crack on the obverse from the rim at about 7 o'clock going up into Lincoln's jacket. Not as pronounced as I
    believe the stage E to be, but I think that's where the major die crack is located so these that I have are showing the beginning stage of the die's failure. Let me know if I'm wrong about the location of the
    stage E failure. I haven't looked at Wexler's site for quite awhile.
  • Options

<< <i>I've mentioned this before, not sure what stage applies, but I have a few of the 006's with a thin die crack on the obverse from the rim at about 7 o'clock going up into Lincoln's jacket. Not as pronounced as I
    believe the stage E to be, but I think that's where the major die crack is located so these that I have are showing the beginning stage of the die's failure. Let me know if I'm wrong about the location of the
    stage E failure. I haven't looked at Wexler's site for quite awhile. >>

The Obverse crack survived well beyond stage E; all the way to stage H

Stage E has a Major crack on the Reverse. Shortly afterward, the Reverse failed and was replaced.

There are about 7 or 8 stages of this "Skeleton Finger" variety WDDO-002/WDDR-006
  • Options
    Just went on Wexler's site but he has no images of the different obverse stages of the 006's nor descriptions of the differences. He does have descriptions (again no images) of the reverse stage progressions.

Is there a different site that shows images of these stages? It sure would help in cataloging what I actually have.
  • Options

<< <i>Just went on Wexler's site but he has no images of the different obverse stages of the 006's nor descriptions of the differences. He does have descriptions (again no images) of the reverse stage progressions.

Is there a different site that shows images of these stages? It sure would help in cataloging what I actually have. >>

On The Contrary. Obverse & Reverse varieties have separate pages.

Below is the description from Wexler's site; Doubleddie.com

Obverse

2009 1¢ FY WDDO-002

Description: Slight notching shows on the lower left corners of the ERTY in LIBERTY. Strong extra thickness shows on the lower hair and beard details. Light extra thickness shows on the date with a notch showing on the underside of the top left of the 2 and on the bottom left corner of the 2.

Die Markers: Obverse Stage A: A die crack runs SW to NE through the hair on the upper back of the head and then turns east at the top of the head below WE. A small die chip can be found about midway up on this die crack. Another shorter die crack runs parallel to and above the lower end of the first die crack. A die crack runs NW from the eyebrow through the forehead. A die crack runs from ENE to WSW across the lower bowtie. Obverse Stage B: A short, vertical die gouge can be found to the left of the top of the I of IN. Obverse Stage C: A die crack runs from NNW to SSE through the upper front of the forehead. A die crack runs north to south to the right of the bottom of the center fold of the vest. A die crack runs from NNW to SSE below Lincoln’s eye. A die crack runs south from below Lincoln’s nose through his lips. A pre-die chip depression can be found at the top of the hair above the forehead and south of the 1st T in TRUST. Obverse Stage D: The pre-die chip depression at the top of the hair above the forehead and south of the 1st T in TRUST is now a small die chip. A die crack runs from ENE to WSW through the upper beard. Obverse Stage E: Same as Stage D. Obverse Stage F: A die chip can be found near the upper end of the die crack running through the hair. The die crack at the bottom of the vest is now very long and very strong extending all the way to the rim. A large die break can be found on the die crack near the bottom of the bust. Obverse Stage G: Same as Stage F. Obverse Stage H: Same as Stage G.

Reverse

2009 1¢ FY WDDR-007

Reverse Stage A: The reverse of this stage is the doubled die variety listed as 2009 1¢ FY WDDR-007A.
    Reverse Stage B: The reverse of this stage is the doubled die variety listed as 2009 1¢ FY WDDR-007B.

2009 1¢ FY WDDR-006

Reverse Stage C: The reverse of this variety is the doubled die variety listed as 2009 1¢ FY WDDR-006A.
    Reverse Stage D: The reverse of this variety is the doubled die variety listed as 2009 1¢ FY WDDR-006B.
    Reverse Stage E: The reverse of this variety is the doubled die variety listed as 2009 1¢ FY WDDR-006C.
    Reverse Stage F: The reverse of this variety is the doubled die variety listed as 2009 1¢ FY WDDR-006D.
    Reverse Stage G: The reverse of this variety is the doubled die variety listed as 2009 1¢ FY WDDR-006E.
    Reverse Stage H: A new reverse is now paired with the DDO. The new reverse is not a doubled die.

Submitted By: Stage A: Ronald Traino, Stage B, D, E, & F: Marilyn Keeney, Stage C: Robert J. Piazza, Stage G: Michael Forader, Stage H: Billy G. Crawford

Cross References: Crawford: CDDO-002, Coppercoins: 1DO-002, CONECA: 2-O-VIII

Values:

Stages A & B: MS60 = $7, MS63 = $10, MS65 = $15
    Stages C to G: MS60 = $35, MS63 = $50, MS65 = $75
    Stage H: MS60 = $5, MS63 = $7, MS65 = $10
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Wow, is that confusing or what.

I have over a hundred of these things and still cant tell the difference between them.

I know I must have some of these variations.

Maybe I need a new microscope.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, is that confusing or what.

I have over a hundred of these things and still cant tell the difference between them.

I know I must have some of these variations.

Maybe I need a new microscope. >>

No microscope is necessary.

They're huge cracks, seen with the naked eye. If you can't see them, you don't have them.
  • Options
    I can see the die cracks but its the differences between the die cracks that are the problem for me.
  • Options

<< <i>I can see the die cracks but its the differences between the die cracks that are the problem for me. >>

Reverse Stage E: The die crack that runs from the rim to the A in STATES

now runs through the right side of the A ending in the field to the left of Lincoln’s eyes.

It's about 40% into the field in front of Abe, you can't miss it.

It WAS NOT found in LP2 sets

• Options
    Ok, thats where I am getting mixed up, I don't have any that were not in the LP2 sets.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I opended one of my mint boxes and got 13 double thumbs and about 9 of the skelton finger.
  • Options

<< <i>I opended one of my mint boxes and got 13 double thumbs and about 9 of the skelton finger. >>

Sorry, "Skeleton Fingers" and "Double Thumbs" are not known to occur in the same LP2 set.

What was the date/time on this box?
  • Options
    I was bored as nothing exciting is happening here right now so I opened a box of 4/27 10:56 AM and found 12 WDDR 001, 2 WDDR 002, 6

WDDR 003, and 11 chin whiskers. Not my biggest find but a nice one anyway. Tempting to open up a few more of those boxes but not right

now.
  • Options

<< <i>I was bored as nothing exciting is happening here right now so I opened a box of 4/27 10:56 AM and found 12 WDDR 001, 2 WDDR 002, 6

WDDR 003, and 11 chin whiskers. Not my biggest find but a nice one anyway. Tempting to open up a few more of those boxes but not right

now. >>

I have also posted results from these sets.

<< <i>"Tempting to open up a few more of those boxes but not right now" >>

Why not?

Are you selling the sets for more than the sum of the parts?

Just open them!!
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was bored as nothing exciting is happening here right now so I opened a box of 4/27 10:56 AM and found 12 WDDR 001, 2 WDDR 002, 6

now. >>

Open them pitboss, you ain't getting any younger. Besides living in ABQ you might get whacked by one of the bad guys from 'Breaking Bad'.image
  • Options
    I know what is in them.

It's more of the same as I have now which I have by the hundreds already.

I may just want to sell some of those in unopened boxes later on.

The 4/27 date was loaded with them.

When you get 31 errors out of 50 coins you sure wind up with a lot of errors when you have opened over 250 boxes so far.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

now. >>

Same here, all three found in 4/27 boxes. I opened 10 boxes.

errors per box 17, 20, 23, 27, 28, 29, 29, 29, 30 and 33

Joe

• Options
    Good job, thats 265 errors in 10 boxes.

Thats why I have not opened any more of them, I know they are in there.
  • Options

<< <i>I know what is in them.

It's more of the same as I have now which I have by the hundreds already.

I may just want to sell some of those in unopened boxes later on.

The 4/27 date was loaded with them.

When you get 31 errors out of 50 coins you sure wind up with a lot of errors when you have opened over 250 boxes so far. >>

Which is also part of the reason that these haven't appreciated in value, there's TONS of them; except for a few isolated sales.

As it was said in another post; "now it's a race to the bottom" .99c
  • Options
    "there's a ton of them" is true but only in specific dated boxes which are mostly owned by people like us here on the boards. we are hoarding the "keys" which can only go up in value over time and recognition

by the various collecting publications and prominent grading companies. As we who collect these know there are only about 10-15 major errors that will always be the "ones" to own not only for their dramatic

look but for their relative rarity (only found in certain dated boxes as stated before) . It's a waiting game, but while we are waiting, let's keep searching for those special mal-formative cents!
  • Options
    I agree, even though we have a ton of these so to say, they have not been exposed to the coin collecting public that much.

If and when they do those that have them will make a little money on their relatively cheap investment.

It has been fun looking for them even if we do not make a ton of money for the ton of coins out there.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree about collecting them. It was a great time searching and discovering the different types. My fault was getting a bunch graded which added way too much expense to the adventure (even at ANACS prices)....looking for them and keeping them raw is the way to go
  • Options
    I had 80 graded and sold all but 26 MS67's so I got my money back there plus quite a bit more.

I had 2 proof graded and sold one of them for $500 and still have the other one. I have not sold any raw.

Probably am well ahead of the game even though I did buy a ton of boxes which I have opened most of.

It's still fun to buy more boxes to open and go through even knowing what I am going to find in them.
  • Options
    Good to see and hear enthusiastic stories of the adventures in searching these out! I have kept all of mine raw. Still searching for those "special" boxes.
  • Options

<< <i> As we who collect these know there are only about 10-15 major errors that will always be the "ones" to own not only for their dramatic look but for their relative rarity (only found in certain dated boxes as stated before). >>

Apparently you may not know.

There are only 4 Major Varieties known to come from these LP2 mint boxes, WDDR-001, WDDR-002, WDDR-006, WDDR-007. There are others, but you said "Major".

I personally have also found 3 of these 4 numbers in bank boxes. Of those four, only WDDR-007, is known only to LP2 sets.

The Wexler number is a misnomer because WDDR-007 was produced, by the mint, prior to WDDR-006. The number is simply the order he received them for attribution.

All other "Major" varieties came from bank boxes.
  • Options
    I would not even know where to begin with bank boxes.

Do you just order them from your local bank?
  • Options

<< <i>I would not even know where to begin with bank boxes.

Do you just order them from your local bank? >>

If you're lucky. You cannot order specific date pennies from a bank. Although in 2009, when these came out, there were "First Days" on these. So you may have gotten lucky that way. My local banks were completely uncooperative; treated me like a nuisance.

I purchased boxes from all parts of the country, some from websites, but most from Ebay.

After 3 years of searching, I still find variety rolls, but not nearly like before. They've pretty much all dried up.

Now people are searching them and re-wrapping them. Be careful when purchasing; ask lots of questions. And don't buy any that the seller claims are unsearched "by me"

I even found variety rolls at my local B&M with a "Major" DDR.
  • Options
    I guess to the banks we are just a nuisance.

Pennies are so hard to look at with my weak 73 year old eyes that I did not want to look through bank boxes.

Maybe after I get my cateraks taken off starting with the 1st one on the 25th I will feel more like going through some.

We shall see ( hopefully).
  • Options
    Papi, I was referring to Wexler's "best of" designations when I was talking about 10-15 major errors. Not sure what your top four refers to. The ones that you listed are definately strong errors though.

Regardless, we agree that of the 100+ known varieties they are not all seen as important or significant errors. I have not done any searching outside of the mint boxes either. I really don't have the time and,

as you stated, most of the bank boxes and rolls sold on Ebay are suspect whether they've been re-rolled after being searched or not. They do sell 2009p $25 Brinks boxes (supposedly virgin) on Ebay but at a

premium price that isn't worth taking a chance on for me. So, I'm contented with opening just the mint issued boxes and enjoying finding the better ones.

edited to add: Good luck Pitboss with the cataract surgery!
  • Options

<< <i>Papi, I was referring to Wexler's "best of" designations when I was talking about 10-15 major errors. Not sure what your top four refers to. >>

Not sure what my top 4 refer to? Hmm, I listed the numbers.

Wexler lists over (30) thirty 2009 Formative varieties as being "Best Of". Which 10-15 are you referring to, as the ones that are known only in certain date LP2 boxes?
  • Options
    Papi, yes, what was found in the lp2 boxes. I see now that you are saying that only those four particular errors can be found in the lp2 boxes one of which, the 007, is found exclusively in the lp2 boxes.

As far as Wexler's "best of" quantity listed I was only guesstimating 10-15. I'm surprised you found any 006's in bank rolls because as you know they are found in only one date of mint boxes and within a

very short time frame. They remain my particular favorite of all.
  • Options

<< <i>Papi, yes, what was found in the lp2 boxes. I see now that you are saying that only those four particular errors can be found in the lp2 boxes one of which, the 007, is found exclusively in the lp2 boxes.

As far as Wexler's "best of" quantity listed I was only guesstimating 10-15. I'm surprised you found any 006's in bank rolls because as you know they are found in only one date of mint boxes and within a

very short time frame. They remain my particular favorite of all. >>

Well, what I'm offering here are facts based on 3 years of searching.

They may be your favorite, but as I reported earlier in this same thread; WDDR-006 "Skeleton Finger" is NOT Exclusive to LP2 sets.

It is true that early stages are found in LP2 sets, on a single date; but all of the late stages (with the big cracks), that Wexler prices at $75, were discovered in bank rolls.

The point is; ONLY 4 of the 15+ "Major" varieties can be found in LP2 sets

You guys (Forum Members) can continue to think you have the majority of the varieties. But the reality is, if you've searched nothing but LP2 boxes, you have only 25% of the known Major Varieties.

ONLY 3 of the TOP 10
    listed on the "Lincoln Resource" web site are found in LP2 sets. TOP TEN
  • Options
    Well, maybe I'll have to reconsider searching bank rolls....image
  • Options

<< <i>Well, maybe I'll have to reconsider searching bank rolls....image >>

You can try, but after 3 years it's a little late.

Not to say you can't find something. But they've pretty much dried up now.

Happy hunting!
  • Options
    I never realized there were that many bank roll errors in the top ten.
  • Options
    I'm with you Pitboss, never realized I was missing so much. Papi, are you saying that these bank boxes I see on Ebay that are supposed to contain 50 rolls of formative cents only aren't going to yield any of these

errors? Those boxes sell for quite a premium ($89 + on average plus shipping) Now that you've pointed out the fact that later stage (die crack) varieties of the 006 etc. are out there (or were) I'm intrigued.

Should I be looking elsewhere for these? Looking forward to learning something new and opening up new avenues of adventure in searching these out.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I opended one of my mint boxes and got 13 double thumbs and about 9 of the skelton finger.

It is the NUMBER 4:

Wexler WDDR-050
    Coneca DDR- ???
    Coppercoins 2009-1DR-097
    Crawford CDDR-049
    CPG FS-01-2009-804

Or

NUMBER 4:

Wexler WDDR-050
    Coneca DDR- ???
    Coppercoins 2009-1DR-097
    Crawford CDDR-049
    CPG FS-01-2009-804

Not a fully formed Skelton finger. I will have to look a lot closer and confirm which one.
  • Options
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
  • Options
    I still have unopened boxes, unopened rolls from open boxes and 2x2's full of errors that contain many error sorts. I sold many on ebay back in the craze which paid for my springer on my bike build.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
  • Options

<< <i>I opended one of my mint boxes and got 13 double thumbs and about 9 of the skelton finger.

It is the NUMBER 4:

Wexler WDDR-050
    Coneca DDR- ???
    Coppercoins 2009-1DR-097
    Crawford CDDR-049
    CPG FS-01-2009-804

Or

NUMBER 4:

Wexler WDDR-050
    Coneca DDR- ???
    Coppercoins 2009-1DR-097
    Crawford CDDR-049
    CPG FS-01-2009-804

Not a fully formed Skelton finger. I will have to look a lot closer and confirm which one. >>

"Double Thumbs" (WDDR-002)

and

"Skeleton Fingers" (WDDR-006)

do not exist in the same box.
  • Options

<< <i>I opended one of my mint boxes and got 13 double thumbs and about 9 of the skelton finger.

It is the NUMBER 4:

Wexler WDDR-050
    Coneca DDR- ???
    Coppercoins 2009-1DR-097
    Crawford CDDR-049
    CPG FS-01-2009-804

Or

NUMBER 4:

Wexler WDDR-050
    Coneca DDR- ???
    Coppercoins 2009-1DR-097
    Crawford CDDR-049
    CPG FS-01-2009-804

WDDR-050

These are not known to come from LP2 boxes with "Double Thumbs" either
  • Options

<< <i>I'm with you Pitboss, never realized I was missing so much. Papi, are you saying that these bank boxes I see on Ebay that are supposed to contain 50 rolls of formative cents only aren't going to yield any of these

errors? Those boxes sell for quite a premium ($89 + on average plus shipping) Now that you've pointed out the fact that later stage (die crack) varieties of the 006 etc. are out there (or were) I'm intrigued.

Should I be looking elsewhere for these? Looking forward to learning something new and opening up new avenues of adventure in searching these out. >>

It is very possible that a 50 roll box may not contain any varieties.

You should also keep in mind that the seller is paying 11% in fees and if they're picking up the shipping, they only net $67 out of $89. That's only a $42 gain over face; not much.

So in this example you would be gambling $1.28 on each roll, that you may, or may not, find something .

After 3 years I'm not saying you can't find varieties, they are just harder to find now.

Sometimes I buy these 50 roll boxes, but mostly I buy single rolls. If I find something, I go back for more. Usually the seller has more than one roll for sale.

Like I said; it's been three years, and while I've found many varieties, I never found some of the "Best Of" either.

So, I'm still searching!!
  • Options
    Well, the search is always fun! What's better than, after going through dozens of regular cents, looking through your loupe and discovering a great error? It's like hearing music in a climactic crescendo

and it makes you want to yell out Eureka! Ok, maybe not...lol....but it is FUN nonethelesss. I'm on the fence about purchasing bank boxes but I'm leaning toward taking a chance just out of curiousity

of what may lay within. image
  • Options
    I doubt if I will even try to look for these in bank boxes.

It is just too much work to look through all those coins and I have enough varieties already.

I have been buying a few of each when they become available.
  • Options

<< <i>I doubt if I will even try to look for these in bank boxes.

It is just too much work to look through all those coins and I have enough varieties already.

I have been buying a few of each when they become available. >>

I also look to see if the seller of the box is also selling varieties. If they are, DO NOT buy.

If you see glue on the lip of the box lid, DO NOT buy. It's definitely been opened and resealed.

Tips I've learned along the way.
  • Options
    Definately good tips for buying "sealed" boxes. I was very lucky in that regard, never got burned from any sellers. Unlike Pitboss (who suffers from cataracts he disclosed recently) I think I'm going to

stubbornly search out varieties I haven't come across in the lp2 boxes and dive into bank rolls. I'll let you know if I have any luck with those in the future. Meanwhile, enjoy your collections everyone no

matter where your main interest in numismatics lie.
  • Options

150 image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file