Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• what is a good price for a MS66 006 skeleton finger?
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what is a good price for a MS66 006 skeleton finger? >>

It's unknown at this time. I have had a listing on Ebay with no takers at a starting price of $49 which I thought was a very good and reasonable price for the most coveted of all errors in the

series. I won't sell it for less so I patiently wait for the market to come around. Whatever the market is currently you know that these errors will only go up in value in the near future.

This is the time to stockpile graded and ungraded samples. ABB...always be buying! I know I am.
    Attention PennyLady...this is the thread I invited you to join in the conversation. Hope to see you here. It would be interesting to see what the bicentennial of the Lincoln cent and the

doubled dies that came predominantly out of the Lp2 Formative series means to you in a historical and collectible context since the Lincoln cent and its varieties are your expertise.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the time to stockpile graded and ungraded samples. ABB...always be buying! I know I am. >>

What are your current buy prices (wholesale)?

My observations are that the best errors (raw) run between $2 - $5 ea. with the 006 skeleton going around $12-$14 ea.

001 - approx $3,
    002 - approx $2,
    006 - approx $14
    013 - approx $10 with stage D die crack
    014 - approx $3
    016 - approx $3
    025 - approx $4
    043 - approx $5
    050 - approx $3
    051 - approx $3
    052 - approx $3
    062 - approx $3
    095 - approx $2

Of course there are a few of the above you won't find being "wholesaled" due to scarcity. I'd love to see someone put a full 50 coin roll of 006's up on Ebay just to see the bidding war.

The rest of the errors (someone jump in here if I'm wrong) usually sell for about $1 ea. There are a few "fatal die break" coins out there that will command higher prices (again due to

scarcity) such as the 076C , Smoking Abe, Crackhead Abe, and the aforementioned 013D. Also you will not find a wholesale price on the 006 with fatal stage die cracks obverse and

reverse (super rare and super cool).

Obviously these prices can only go up in the future as they slowly get the recognition they deserve from the publications such as yours Dentuck. I can't wait to see them in the CPG!

Hopefully this helps answering your query. Carry on Doubled Die-Hards!

imageimage
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I pretty much agree with those prices.
    Thank you! Just to get a better understanding of the market: are
    those "buy" prices? Or retail-list prices? eBay auctions?

These represent "buy prices" Dennis....retail on Ebay, for instance, will be on average approximately 25-300% markup on raw examples depending again on

desirability/scarcity/uniqueness. At this stage of the game the market is still forming and expanding. I would venture to say that once (broken record playing here) the CPG comes out we

will see a huge influx of collectors that;

1. were totally unaware of these 2. waited for legitimate coin publications (and TPG's) to recognize them and promote them or 3. saw them on HSN and just have to have them now..haha

Dennis, out of curiosity, are you buying these for your personal collection at present?
    No Sir... no I am not. They're neat to study, though.

<< <i>No Sir... no I am not. They're neat to study, though. >>

That they are!

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Mr. Dennis is following up a previous discussion on values for publishing purposes. Perhaps the next Red Book?

I pretty much agree with OneDoll's prices, maybe a bit high on the 006 and low on 013b die crack. I would easily pay $3 for the 001, maybe more. The 013b's are sparse, hard to find and I sold most I had rather quickly (saving the rest). Only a few on eBay now, from $27 (graded -- pretty good deal!) to $80.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the market. I'm especially
    interested in seeing whether a robust secondary market develops, where
    dealers are buying from the public and/or from other dealers at wholesale
    prices and then selling at retail prices. . . and where dealers publicize their
    buy/bid prices.

• The issue is that these are starting to become more popular but things are a bit all over the board so to say. I have just gotten into these and have yet to see a stable market at this time. As you well know this is a good and bad thing but the good is the new exposure to this series. Some are very set on just the key LP2 ddr but there is more to be had with this series of errors.
    John you are so right as the errors found in LP2's are just the tip of the iceberg. Most people that got involved in these errors stopped collecting them with the LP2's and did not even get involved with the mint boxes. As I have said in the past neither did I until 3 years later.
    ....in the meanwhile...got three 4/23 boxes in the mail today...image

Keep the faith Doubled Die-Hards! imageimage
  • Hum what times are on the boxes? And do you feel like sharing the cost with us?
  • there is a 4/23 10amish box for a bit over 50.00 right now
    10's are wild...$10 ea. with times of 10:10 am. Good boxes that will go into deep storage.

I haven't had much luck with bank boxes lately as regards the better errors (some but not what I'm hoping to find when I buy these expensive boxes) so I'm always looking for the better

Lp2 boxes that I know will yield important errors. Lostincoins you've had fantastic luck from that one gift bank box. I think Pitboss was right when he said it was purposefully filled with

various errors because you don't (or I haven't) normally see as many different errors as you've come across in one box. Usually the rolls contain the same errors all the way through to the

last roll. But you're obviously enjoying the search and that's what it's all about. imageimage
  • that is interesting about the box as I asked my friend and he said nope he got it from a bank and did not mess with it. Would a NF string box not be a mix of times etc being they were not rolled off the line but from bags?
    It will just remain a mystery. Pitboss, Papi, and others have opened probably hundreds of bank boxes (string and son's included) from different sources and companies without reporting

such a wide variety mixed in with one another. That's the fun about searching though...life is like a box of chocolates...and so is that box....you never know what you're gonna get. image
  • Any 2009 P DDR FY cent collectors report acquiring any "good" $25 bank boxes or USM LP2 boxes of cents lately ?
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>The issue is that these are starting to become more popular but things are a bit all over the board so to say. I have just gotten into these and have yet to see a stable market at this time. >>

Thanks, John. This is interesting! Could you give more details?

When you say "things are a bit all over the board," do you mean
    that certain die varieties consistently sell for high prices, while
    others don't sell at all . . . or that certain grades are popular,
    but others aren't . . . or that a particular die variety might sell
    for a very high price one day and for a very low price a week
    later . . . or ?

What are you seeing in the wholesale level, if anything? Or is
    "wholesale" pretty much defined as "$0.01" (coins found in rolls
    or circulation for face value)?

• PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    PitBoss you've be wholesaling some of these, yes? What's your take on the market?

<< <i>What are you seeing in the wholesale level, if anything? Or is
    or circulation for face value)? >>

Being that they're no longer available through banks. I'm not aware of any that can be found at face value, aside from circulation.

I had a "Wanted To Buy" listing on this site for a long time, for some of what I consider the top 12, but received no responses. Are there wholesale buyers? Yes
    I have been selling these wholesale for a while lately and have done quite well.

The 006's have been real strong along with the 025 and 043.

The minor dots and dashes that I had are all gone as I have sold several hundred rolls of these.

I really do not see these minor errors as ever being worth owning is why I sold them.

All of the ones with cherry pickers numbers are getting harder and harder to find and have increased in value over the last couple of months mainly due to the professional Red book appearance and will continue to do so as collectors become more aware of them.

Don't forget there are millions of collectors of cents and with todays economy cents are what people can afford to collect.

<< <i>PitBoss you've be wholesaling some of these, yes? What's your take on the market?

<< <i>What are you seeing in the wholesale level, if anything? Or is
    or circulation for face value)? >>

Being that they're no longer available through banks. I'm not aware of any that can be found at face value, aside from circulation.

I had a "Wanted To Buy" listing on this site for a long time, for some of what I consider the top 12, but received no responses. Are there wholesale buyers? Yes >>

The supply of mint boxes has completely dried up. I too have tried an advertisement here on the forum and have a little success but not much.

Face value on these coins went out the window years ago. Boxes containing good error coins are at a very high premium now.
  • Here is what I have seen as of late. Those that have a good understanding of these errors are hoarding the keys as much as possible. This is because of an anticipated price jump. Dealers/wholesalers are trading back and forth trying to gain the best position for future sales, that is to be expected. On places like ebay, it is a free for all some graded 006 will sell for $50.00 and some for over 80.00. At this time there is no continuity within this aspect of numismatics. The B&M in my area (Milwaukee WI. ) have yet to embrace these coins as legitimate collectables. We can keep saying they are but untill more people take them seriously they will continue to be looked at as a novelty.

<< <i>On places like ebay, it is a free for all some graded 006 will sell for $50.00 and some for over 80.00. At this time there is no continuity within this aspect of numismatics. >>

As long as online auctions exists, Ebay especially, everyone will seek out their market share.

<< <i>The B&M in my area (Milwaukee WI. ) have yet to embrace these coins as legitimate collectables. We can keep saying they are but until more people take them seriously they will continue to be looked at as a novelty. >>

The traditionalists will be slow to come around. Of course there will never be another '55, '69, or '72.

As Dentuck said in another thread;

<< <i>"I think rotated dies are pretty much a thing of the past." >>

. But, these are die errors and that will not change
  • Papi you are an astute man. These coins are errors and that alone should be enough but as of now it is not. When we purchase a box and open it we should document it fully on this thread so that those learning as I am have an easier time. I feel this will bring more interest and get the market moving. That is also why I don't mind buying a mint box for $80.00. The last box I opened had 9 006 in it and it was a risky time. I would also suggest we start a thread that is only for cataloging the mint boxes, the $25.00 bank boxes and pics for reference thus making it easier to find the errors. This in turn would leave this thread more open for the discussion aspect of this series of coins. One other suggestion would be to list out the coins covered in the CP guide and to also promote the other errors. There is a lot to be had with these current era error coins and when will we get something like this again?
    Tonight's Ebay auction ended....$140.49 for the Lp1-Lp4 box set including the 4/23 dated Lp2 box. Do you think these are getting hot? I wonder who O***O is. He had the winning bid.

Wow! To the winner imageimage

<< <i>$140.49 for the Lp1-Lp4 box set including the 4/23 dated Lp2 box. Do you think these are getting hot? I wonder who O***O is. He had the winning bid. Wow! >>

OMG
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whew -- too rich for my blood. Anyone here fess up?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • I went to 125.00 on it I did not think it would even go that high but there is 4 boxes
    Looks like ODNH scored with his other sets from the same seller
  • So who is going to sell me their LP2 4/23 boxes?
    You could probably spend the same amount on a wholesale lot, right now.

They could be back on their way to a $50 coin. That's what they were going for when first discovered.
    That sound that you hear? The elevator doors are closing, getting ready to leave the ground floor....going up... All aboard! imageimage
  • as I am new to this series I have a distinct lack of hoarding items I am now on the hunt most vigilantly. Look for me hiding in the woods, I am there in the shadows lurking till the last moment so as to make sure I get my prey lol

<< <i>as I am new to this series I have a distinct lack of hoarding items I am now on the hunt most vigilantly. Look for me hiding in the woods, I am there in the shadows lurking till the last moment so as to make sure I get my prey lol >>

I feel like I should be wearing protection, a vest image
    Thats what I like , a new and aggressive form yrs collector.
    Your 2 graded 006's are on the way to you. You will receive them by Friday.imageimage
  • Thank you Mr. Pit Boss I am looking forward to seeing them. It is snowing
  • A bright orange camo vest lol that way I can see you coming haha. spent over 3 hrs last night going over ebay for LP2 boxes and itvwas a bust....image
    I'm not sure you can find a camo vest in bright orange...kinda defeats the purpose of camouflage. You won't see us coming Lostincoins....be prepared because we are doubled die ninjas! haha
    24/7 guys! do sleep some though but never know when I am tired
    Wow, this is really becoming competitive.

I just hate having to buy the stuff I don't want in those groups. Sure you can add a unproductive LP2 box and resell it, but it can be a hassle.

But is it just you guys buying everything?
  • At times it sure seems that way but no there are many more out there lurking and buying, they just don't want to say anything.
  • You know the thing is I enjoy collecting coins. I collect (hoard) all kinds even world coins. This is supposed to be fun and many have forgotten this, but not me I do this because I enjoy it. The more fun you have in a hobby or profession the more productive you become. By being productive while having fun I win and so does anyone else doing the same thing. So lets all have some fun. It stopped snowing finally, it's crazy how many people can not drive in snow.

<< <i>This is supposed to be fun and many have forgotten this, but not me I do this because I enjoy it. So lets all have some fun. It stopped snowing finally, it's crazy how many people can not drive in snow. >>

Been there done that; the only snow I wanna see is on the mountain tops.
  • did you all get your pages to load properly now?
    Pitboss...you have the honors for the #2000 post....hope you're not asleep! Get off of Ebay! lol imageimage
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a very early believer, I'll take it image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file