Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    I've liked these from the start... Link

Anyone seen another like this? ... a 1 of strike through or what? Came from a LP2 9774 04/30/09 7:30

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    IMHO...it looks to me like a combo of PMD and a gas/air bubble. I've seen many of these in various forms during my searches. Not considered an error. Again, that's my take. I'm sure

others will chime in soon.
  • raised recessed?
  • working on the gift bank box again and getting a large number of 060 in nice MS
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like whoever gave you that gift mixed in an assortment from different boxes they had on hand with different errors in them for you.
  • It was sealed and this is the only marking.
    You sure did get a lot of varieties in that box somehow.
  • Where do these boxes come from?
    The mint sells them in million coin lots to whomever wants them, ( and has the the equipment to unload them ) who then roll them and put them in boxes.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ten too many.

001,002, 006. Desirability as follows: 10%, 10%, 80% respectively. >>

Your choices are good ones Hammer but PB has a point. If you've followed this thread or looked on Wexler's site for the strongest varieties you'd have more than three on your list.

In fact the 002, as nice as that error looks, is a fairly common coin compared to the 016 or the 025. Check out the 043, 050 or the 051's for their dramatic looks also. We all agree that

the 006 is the King and that the late stage obverse/reverse die crack versions are even more valuable/rare. One day we will probably have an actual accounting for each error to determine

rarity but there are some really tough ones out there to find. Great to have your opinons though Hammer. Keep believing and contributing to the conversation! imageimage

<< <i> I looked through hundreds of thousands of pennies over the last few years >>

P.S. So have I - I just like a few more varieties and anomalies like extreme die cracks..... I'm not big on dots and dashes either >>

I have seen all the varieties. I'm the one that said to Dennis leaving out 006 would be a mistake, and might as well not include any of them. Having over 100 varieties for one coin dilutes the uniqueness of the 006. My suggestion is "The group of Five" (you, pb, akbeez, papi, jessewu) need to rally around one variety, and make that the bell sheep . jmo...
  • So any mix of errors are possible in these boxes, that makes it more fun because I am not expecting any particular errors then.
    Hammer....here's Papi's selection of the top varieties. I think the consensus opinion is that these are the best of the best with the 006 skeleton finger being numero uno

Papi's TOP 12

WDDR-001 WDDR-002
    WDDR-006 WDDR-014
    WDDR-016 WDDR-025
    WDDR-043 WDDR-050
    WDDR-051 WDDR-052
    WDDR-062 WDDR-095

one could argue that the 007 and the 032 are also significant making 14 the number as PB suggested

of course John Wexler has a longer "best of" list but we have tried over the years to filter it down to the strongest varieties
    I like Papi's list.

I like hammer did not collect anything but the ones in LP2 boxes for almost 3 years then finally decided to try a mint box and found a bunch of WDDR 025's and went on from there.

I now have all the 12 varieties on Papi's list and have sold all of the minor varieties in bulk.

<< <i>I now have all the 12 varieties on Papi's list >>

I'm still working on it. Trying to find them in the wild ... need a little luck....imageimage
    You will need a lot of luck now as they are getting harder and harder to come up with but there sre still some out there somewhere.imageimage
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I opened one of the 4/23 LP2 boxes I just got in the mail, eBay purchase...

4/23 9883 10:04

8 - WDDR-006
    6 - WDDR-010

Not too bad for less than $15 shipped. I have a few more identical boxes I'll stick on the shelf for long term storage. I wanted to open a box just for fun...

<< <i>Not too bad for less than $15 shipped. >>

I'll give you $16 with shipping included for one of your "spare" boxes image just pm me for my info...thanks in advance.

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I opened one of the 4/23 LP2 boxes I just got in the mail, eBay purchase...

4/23 9883 10:04

8 - WDDR-006
    6 - WDDR-010

Not too bad for less than $15 shipped. I have a few more identical boxes I'll stick on the shelf for long term storage. I wanted to open a box just for fun... >>

Well done!
  • I just got my first 004 stage C it is cool with the die chips and die cracks.
  • With NGC now applying the plus grade to modern coins will they be holdering our LFY errors?
  • So am I seeing things or is there doubling on the left hand and the spine of the book? So quiet today, I am up to 11 of the 004 even though they do not make the list I like them.
    I don't see any doubling and it's Friday so there will be not much going on. It does not hurt to put 04 and any other error aside as they are errors.
    I see post mint damage
    I've been meaning to ask, has anyone been tracking the LP1, LP3, LP4, or LP5 box errors? Are there any good date boxes out there that we should be checking for?
  • good pic? are they getting better? I have a cold so am a bit off kilter lol.......
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been meaning to ask, has anyone been tracking the LP1, LP3, LP4, or LP5 box errors? Are there any good date boxes out there that we should be checking for? >>

Good question. I've only seen very minor log cabin varieties. Very ho-hum.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • well it dosen't seem that that is where the interest is. Seems if its not LP2 it is nothing.
  • what about this one?
    2009-D Formative Years Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Reverse WDDR-003 (BU)
  • Sorry to ask again for help but this one has me stumped.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>I've been meaning to ask, has anyone been tracking the LP1, LP3, LP4, or LP5 box errors? >>

There are known errors in the LP3 sets, but they are WAY MORE difficult to see.

I opened sets for the heck of it and found some.

But I personally do not bother with them nor did I record which ones they were.

<< <i>Sorry to ask again for help but this one has me stumped. >>

Looks like a 056 or 074, check the die markers.
  • does not have die markers of either of those. Hum I will look more tomorrow. I have 2 that look like that now.
  • Just sharing this has some die chips and die aberrations. Ah the young new guys and their enthusiasm. Is 42 and falling apart young? lol

<< <i>well it dosen't seem that that is where the interest is. Seems if its not LP2 it is nothing. >>

You are getting stuck on the LP2 boxes and that is not where most of the real good errors are being found.

I made that mistake too and did not even begin looking at mint boxes until 3 years after they first came out.

Big mistake!

It is easier now to look for LP 2 boxes than mint boxes because you know what dates contain which errors but the good mint boxes are getting very scarce and almost impossible to come by.

You also have to lay out more cash for a box of 50 rolls and if it does not contain errors it hurts your pocket book more than an LP2 set.

imageimage
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>what is the most 006 found in one roll here? >>

I've had rolls with 13 inside. >>

The most I found was 1 box with 12. Usually if a 4/23 box had them (many time stamps for 4/23 do not) there was on average 5. image
  • I see so the box I have is good even though it does not have any 006 in it as of yet? How are my last pics? well I am up to 21 of the 004 now. I will have to find someone who likes them.
    You will have plenty of time to sell them later, now is the time to accumulate whatever you can in as short a time as possible because the door is closing rapidly on these great coins but try to concentrate on the 7 with CPG numbers if you can.
  • LP2 9774 12:36 04/20/09 is giving a lot of 004 errors for those who may be looking for them.
    For all the $25 box searchers, do u find errors in every roll? Every other roll? 10 in 50... I apparently got three $25 boxes in the last few years that I forgot about. Apparently I opened the boxes and searched through a roll or two and didn't find anything so I put them away. Should I keep looking or if 2-3 rolls yield no errors, stop?
    Hi Jesse,

Not all the rolls have errors in them but most do.

If you have opened 2 or 3 rolls and not found anything I would check the end rolls for errors.

If you do not find any then the box is probably a dud but I would open a few more rolls just to make sure.
    Jesse...speaking from my limited experience, the boxes I've searched will consistently have a few errors of the same type in each roll. If after the first few rolls you are blanking chances

are the entire box is a dud. I'm sure either Papi or Pitboss could give their input from their more extensive searches through these bank boxes.

<< <i>check the end rolls for errors. >>

This is how I begin my search of a new box. Look for end of the roll errors while confirming the quantity of rolls inside the box is correct.

<< <i>Hi Jesse,

Not all the rolls have errors in them but most do.

If you have opened 2 or 3 rolls and not found anything I would check the end rolls for errors.

If you do not find any then the box is probably a dud but I would open a few more rolls just to make sure. >>

I looked at the end rolls when I opened them up. I guess I got 3 duds.
    Join the crowd, I wish I did not have the same luck, but have been down that road many times.

There are 1000 bad boxes out there for every good one and I have had more than my share.
  • Look at each and every coin very close, I have found 5 errors in the center of a roll and nothing else where. I have been getting 004 014 030 and 060 in mine some are harder to see so use that loupe I have a triplet 10x-21mm (30x) that works great and have now also rigged up a cool macro lens to my phone .
  • One of the real benefits of this US Coin Forum thread is all the pointers that members have and will share with collectors having an interest in finding some of these beauties !! Many seasoned members have paid their dues by searching through large quantities of Mint rolls and bank box rolls. Thank you members for your generous sharing of information. Mark.
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>One of the real benefits of this US Coin Forum thread is all the pointers that members have and will share with collectors having an interest in finding some of these beauties >>

I have found this mostly to be true in all threads dealing with new discoveries and areas of interest such as the extra leaf quarter, the 2008/2007 reverse silver eagle, or just alerting

members to "must buy" mint products that became giant profitable flips. That is why I personally enjoy the coin forum. I love this particular subject of course and think it's only right

to "pay it forward" so to speak with any small contributions I can add to the conversation. I can't speak for everyone but wouldn't be surprised if that was the general sentiment of all of the

contributors here. Keep the faith doubled die-hards! imageimage
    This seller got lucky

LP2
  • Hey guys guess what? Yep i found 2 002 now in the gift box and that is cool.
    Now I know whoever sent you that box put it together for you as that is impossible to find that many different errors in one box but I am very happy for you anyway.
  • Ok but could you explain why it is imposable to find 3 or 4 different errors in a box that has 50 different String rolls in it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file