Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• is there any way to tell if a bank box has the LP2s in it as advertised here?
    link
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>is there any way to tell if a bank box has the LP2s in it as advertised here?
    link >>

First, NOT EVERY bank box has errors. You got lucky on your first try.

Second, the seller is generally very sure of what they're selling. They don't want returns.

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    lostincoins...yes you can count on them being the "correct" pennies (lp2 formative cents) but as Papi said you can't be sure they contain any errors in the rolls. We've all purchased boxes

that came up blank and some that have been homeruns. I think we all look for bargains and this box you're looking at is not overpriced comparatively speaking. The unknown factor here is

whether these were cherry picked and the leftovers re-rolled and re-boxed for re-sale. Depending on the budget you could just buy solid 50 coin error rolls that come up for sale now and

again. Then you're assured of what you'll receive. I personally prefer the hunt. I've got something coming to me soon that I will be excited to search. If you do buy it good luck..

share the results. Keep the faith doubled die-hards!

imageimage

Why this and not the rest?

I don't get the distinction...c'mon PCGS, start printing out the labels!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lostincoins...yes you can count on them being the "correct" pennies (lp2 formative cents) but as Papi said you can't be sure they contain any errors in the rolls. We've all purchased boxes

that came up blank and some that have been homeruns. I think we all look for bargains and this box you're looking at is not overpriced comparatively speaking. The unknown factor here is

whether these were cherry picked and the leftovers re-rolled and re-boxed for re-sale. Depending on the budget you could just buy solid 50 coin error rolls that come up for sale now and

again. Then you're assured of what you'll receive. I personally prefer the hunt. I've got something coming to me soon that I will be excited to search. If you do buy it good luck..

share the results. Keep the faith doubled die-hards!

imageimage

Why this and not the rest?

PCGS offered to do the same thing for me about a year ago but I had to send them 1000 coins all the same variety. They did give me a good price but I did not want to grade 1000 of the same coin.

I don't get the distinction...c'mon PCGS, start printing out the labels! >>

<< <i>PCGS offered to do the same thing for me about a year ago but I had to send them 1000 coins all the same variety. They did give me a good price but I did not want to grade 1000 of the same coin. >>

Interesting. If they had been labeling them all of these years can you imagine the thousands of submissions (and dollars) they could have earned? Why bend the rule for one person at ANY

price or quantity? Such a shortsighted approach. They must realize by now (since the Pro Red Book and soon the CPG will legitimize them to the general collecting world ) that they have

lost an unbelievable amount of dollars in the course of the previous four years. Money they will never be able to recoup. Money they basically handed over to Anacs.

On another note....I see your listing on Ebay PB. It will be fun to watch. Good luck!

I already have 20 people watching it. Should be interesting.

Have you noticed that there are more people that have ANACS graded coins on there.

Iron pup put a bunch of them on there yesterday. He is one of the old time Wisconsin quarter error guys.

You are right about PCGS losing business because the refuse to start grading these coins. I have 350 now graded by myself and wanted PCGS.

Oh well!
    I did see Ironpup's listings. I was wondering who he was since I've never seen a listing by him before. To have so many different varieties graded and for sale was a surprise.

Your listing should be a big seller. The single box auction is already at $37 with a day and a half left for bidding and that one, as discussed, is borderline on the time stamp.

When I've purchased the later time boxes it was in hopes of finding the late stage die cracks. Didn't work out. Apparently they will only be found in bank boxes. Of course, none

of the bank boxes I've purchased has had any. image
    Those bank boxes were few and far between and they are long gone.

There were not many of those coins struck before the die broke.

<< <i>Those bank boxes were few and far between and they are long gone.

There were not many of those coins struck before the die broke. >>

Based on my findings, for the "Skeleton" with the final stage of the reverse crack, it was 0.01%

The coolest thing image, for me, is there are 7 or 8 identifiable stages of the three die parings of FY-DDO-002.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why this and not the rest?

PCGS offered to do the same thing for me about a year ago but I had to send them 1000 coins all the same variety. They did give me a good price but I did not want to grade 1000 of the same coin.

I don't get the distinction...c'mon PCGS, start printing out the labels! >>

>>

Notice they didn't not actually attribute the "massive" die crack (wddr-013b), they simply labeled it very generically. It could have been any one of several die cracks -- although this was one of the best. The seller must not know about the attributions or they would have mentioned in the listing, no? I would be surprised if if goes for $100 in that low of a grade, but who know, this variety is in demand.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    It's not even a DDR, we all have die cracks of one kind or another. They are dreaming if they think it will get that kind of money.
  • i am going to bid on this
    link
    You are up against some pretty powerful competition. Remember that it is a borderline good or no good box like the 3 that I have up there but good luck as you have a chance at a box with key coins in it maybe. These boxes are a crap shoot but we all take a shot here and there.
  • gota have some fun right ?
    I agree. Go for it and good luck. This box will not be cheap.
    $40 already with more than a half a day to go for that box....wow. The last minute will be exciting to watch! I will not be one of the bidders however..so you'll have one less competitor.

Good luck! Remember, lostincoins, if you do win it we want to have you post your findings with us.

<< <i>It's not even a DDR, we all have die cracks of one kind or another. They are dreaming if they think it will get that kind of money. >>

That is a DDR with the crack; WDDR-013

<< <i>That is a DDR with the crack; WDDR-013 >>

Papi....As Ed McMahon would say to Johnny...."You are correct sir!"

PB....did you cancel your listing for the three 4/23 boxes?

• out of the gift box I am up to 28 060 there are other errors also but I have not looked them up as of now it is a total of 47 errors in 9 rolls
    The 060 is a nice error and to get some in the first box you go thru is really something.
  • It seems I got lucky because my friend is not to happy lol he said he should have kept it.
    Some friend, I have sold boxes to friends of mine that I knew had 25's and 32's in them and have not regretted it at all.
    That 4/23 box went for 80.99! WOW!
  • what might be in it?
  • just saw the Jag commertial and I want that new XF what a beautiful car. I only need to find 100,000 006 errors to make it work lol
    If you wait for 100,000 WDDR 006's you will never get a Jag as the die broke long before they made that many of them I think.
  • way to crush a guys dreams lol I thought you had at least 3x that about hoarded away image
    I wish, I have sold a lot of them lately and now have less than 300 counting my graded ones but I still have those 4 unopened boxes of 4/23.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $80 huh. I think I have 10-20 4/23 boxes. Maybe I should let some go.

<< <i> I think I have 10-20 4/23 boxes. Maybe I should let some go. >>

I was shocked at what someone (whoever u****e might be) would pay for this box. Looking at the bid history on the auction shows he was determined to get it (about 10 different bids).

Future listings and sales will tell us how much of a fluke the auction was. These doubled die errors, however, are not under the radar any longer. imageimage
    It really does not matter who the buyer is for that auction.

It just shows that there was more than one person that wanted that box and there is interest in these coins out there.

<< <i>It really does not matter who the buyer is for that auction.

It just shows that there was more than one person that wanted that box and there is interest in these coins out there. >>

True...my only point was that u***e was driving the sale to where it ended up. Obviously there were other bidders. We'll see if it's an upward trend or an auction-gone-wild. You know

I'm hoping for the upward trend scenario. image
    I think it's a case of a little bit of both as these coins have started to get a little bit of attention starting with the inclusion in the pro red book.
  • with the pro RB and CP guide both showing the viability of these coins I can see a resurgence of these coins. What does the pro book have high MS 006 at?
    It does not list prices but shows pictures of the 002, 006, 025 and 043. It should have had the 001 in there bur with space limitations it could not add a 5th coin.
  • A book just dealing with the errors associated with the LFYs should be put together. With computers and the internet it trully should not be that hard and there are self publishing companies out there.

<< <i>A book just dealing with the errors associated with the LFYs should be put together. With computers and the internet it trully should not be that hard and there are self publishing companies out there. >>

Ultra Modern Doubled Dies: The Single Squeeze Era
    (1996-2012)

(Our Newest E-Book)
    Is Available for Immediate Delivery

E-Book
    Have you seen this book and are our 09's in there Papi?
  • I was more interested in a reference type guide that goes over each error obverse and reverse for the 09 that could be carried easily say to shows, no color needed as we know the color of a cent. I would want it to include pics from different angels to make sure the error is correct for what we are looking at.

<< <i>Have you seen this book and are our 09's in there Papi? >>

No I did not buy it.

It says all 890 Doubled dies in the CONECA files, and the 2009s are included in the "Master Listing"

The assigned CPG numbers are on the site, but I don't know about pictures.

You'd have to ask Dr. Wiles, his email is at the bottom of the page.

CONECA

<< <i>I was more interested in a reference type guide that goes over each error obverse and reverse for the 09 that could be carried easily say to shows, no color needed as we know the color of a cent. I would want it to include pics from different angels to make sure the error is correct for what we are looking at. >>

A pocket guide would be costly to print. You could ask Wexler if you could use his info and format it as such. There would be hefty royalties, I'm sure.

2009 FY Doubled Dies
  • Yep I have been meaning to talk to John about it I was hoping a possible collaboration could be worked out with some of the more knowledgeable people interested in this series. Printing would not be that bad and there are programs out there that are donation based and print on demand.
  • there were actually 6 total bidders on that box
    I'm curious. Who's the mathematician here?

The book cover, on the WDDR-002, is rotated clockwise, leaving doubling on the pages.

What is the amount of rotation ? 40 degrees?

• the book in the reference pic is at 24.7deg and the doubled cover is at 5.5deg giving us 19.2deg of rotation

<< <i>the book in the reference pic is at 24.7deg and the doubled cover is at 5.5deg giving us 19.2deg of rotation >>

Thank you! I've always wondered. I never liked geometry.
  • takke a protractor zero to the cover and read the deg of rotation not geomitry needed you yill get really close.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>the book in the reference pic is at 24.7deg and the doubled cover is at 5.5deg giving us 19.2deg of rotation >>

Thank you! I've always wondered. I never liked geometry. >>

I understand geometry, but confounded by how you determined die rotation -- not sure what this means. I guess I don't really understand how these occurred.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>confounded by how you determined die rotation -- not sure what this means. >>

Our minds don't always see shapes we normally don't. Look at this. Do you see rotation?

On the 002; if you follow the back of the knuckle on the index finger, where it meets the hand, you can see that it winds up under the thumb. Same angle as the edge of the book.

If you overlay a transparency and rotate it clockwise over the original image, I believe you'll see.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file