Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

A general question to everyone. Do you talk about these errors to your local dealer (s)? Do they show interest? Do you have them use their connections to find deals on boxes for you?

Have you noticed any increased interest among your circle of collecting friends since the Pro Red Book came out?

• I am just getting into these errors because of my interest in them. I have an ad on CList and have seen interest improving over the last 2 months and that is part of the reason I am learning about them so I am more informed and gosh darn it I like them...
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    There has been a lot more interest in them since the Pro Red book came out and we like them too.

<< <i>A general question to everyone. Do you talk about these errors to your local dealer (s)? Do they show interest? Do you have them use their connections to find deals on boxes for you? >>

I'm asking this because my B&M guy calls them "stupid pennies" and has ZERO interest in talking about, collecting, searching, or selling them. He always almost laughs at me whenever

I bring them up. Just curious what experiences you all might have had.
    I have not been to a B&M store in years.
    I was just going through my Pro Red Book and on pages 238-239 they have giant illustrations of Vams on Morgan dollars. Two full pages! Isn't that a specialized field for Morgans?

Maybe next year we can have a spread like this illustrating more varieties in a larger format than the four we got this year. Don't get me wrong, love seeing the four featured at all but...

just sayin'! image Carry on true believers! imageimage

Just saw this on Ebay. Thought it might be something we could use for educational purposes...what error is ACTUALLY being sold (this is for the newbies..no PB or Papi's allowed)

hmnnn?

I did send him a message to let him know it was mis-attributed but he has yet to acknowledge my message or revise the listing.

I wonder where he got the idea that an 002 is worth $30 ...
    Well, that didn't take very long lostincoins...nicely done. Did you have to go to Wexler's site or did you know it offhand? I'm surprised the seller hasn't responded or changed his listing.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Who bought these?

w***n ( 636)

I don't know who did, the just bought all 10 of them. WDDR-050
  • nope been reading lots and have one now my self from the bank box. what is with the listing Papi?

<< <i>
    Thursday November 07, 2013 5:50 PM (NEW!)

Who bought these?

w***n ( 636) >>

Your sale Papi?

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Thursday November 07, 2013 5:50 PM (NEW!)

Who bought these?

w***n ( 636) >>

Your sale Papi? >>

If it were I'd know who bought them. It's just that they bought ALL 10

<< <i>nope been reading lots and have one now my self from the bank box >>

lostincoins....are you saying you found an 043 in that same bank box that you found 060's?
  • nope as you will notice I did not say gift box lol you caught it, I have 3 different boxes lol. If I do I will let you know though. this will probably make some mad or sad but befor I actually knew that it was important to determine the box identity the other two were combined into my penny roll bucket so I am mad at my self but stuff happens lol now I know better and will ask lots and lots of questions and get yelled at by non LPS09 guys for having tomany posts for a new guy. Wouldn't it be expected for new guys to ask questions?... I don't understand some thinking around here but am doing my thing lol and thanks for all the help by the way.
    Don't let anybody bother you here, just keep asking any questions you want and as often as you wish to.

<< <i>Don't let anybody bother you here, just keep asking any questions you want and as often as you wish to. >>

That's how we learn, by asking questions and reading as much on a subject as we can find. It's still early enough in the game of collecting these errors that people coming to this thread

can learn and get up to speed quickly. You'll find nothing but encouragement, enthusiasm, and support from people on this thread. Glad you're enjoying the hunt! imageimage
    We have an MS68 sighting on Ebay

MS68

They'll never get that price in that slab.

If only our host would allow us to submit these. C'mon; almost 5 years and still waiting!
    The most I have gotten so far is $500 for a PR 69 001 and $300 for a MS67 001.

We could easily pass those marks if our host would only give in.

<< <i>The most I have gotten so far is $500 for a PR 69 001 and $300 for a MS67 001.

We could easily pass those marks if our host would only give in. >>

PB you have clout with ANACS. Can you get the populations based on the WDDR # ?

Their web site just lumps them all together
    I will try Papi.

<< <i>$300 for a MS67 001. >>

That's impressive!

<< <i>PB you have clout with ANACS. Can you get the populations based on the WDDR # ? >>

That's a great idea! It will be interesting to know what the actual pops are for the different ddr's

PCGS still doesn't get what kind of money they left on the table by not acknowledging these over the course of the past 4+ years
  • UM wow I just checked in, is that slab really worth that and would there bee any chance of reselling?
    I would say that for the fact it's still not sold we have our answer to your question. As Papi said, in that slab it won't get the attention or respect that a PCGS slabbed ms68 would. Pitboss

has a lot of 67's on Ebay that sell for around $79 ea. which are in my estimation more realistically priced in the current market. As has been said many times the values of these will go

up exponentially once the CPG comes out and the big boys (PCGS and NGC) start grading and labeling these.
    Hi John, it is only worth what someone will pay for it and the only one I have sold close to it is a PR69.

No one knows what the future brings but there are a lot of 002's so I doubt if that particular coin is worth it.

Keep in mind that ANACS has only graded 15 MS 68's for all of these errors combined.

I know of 1 001,1 002 and 1 006 and do not know what the rest are as of yet but am trying to find out..
  • well get on it already lol oh and do let us know.
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    While some of us contemplate the future of the most significant F.Y. DDR's, why doesn't one of you members of ANA contact the organization and see if you or us collectively could provide the ANA and their prestigious monthly publication, "The Numismatist" with a well written, information based article about the F.Y. varieties for one of their future monthly "Numismatist". Maybe even have a Variety Expert who is well known write their take on these gems for the article. The August, 2007 ANA publication had a great article on the Wi Extra Leaf Quarters. Why not get the "Respect" that they deserve. Interesting .... Mark.
    Specialized Investments
    Do we have any journalists here?

<< <i>Keep in mind that ANACS has only graded 15 MS 68's for all of these errors combined. >>

I have seen some 2009 68s in these slabs. I'm not a professional, but in my opinion, I question the assigned grade.

<< <i>While some of us contemplate the future of the most significant F.Y. DDR's, why doesn't one of you members of ANA contact the organization and see if you or us collectively could provide the ANA and their prestigious monthly publication, "The Numismatist" with a well written, information based article about the F.Y. varieties for one of their future monthly "Numismatist". Maybe even have a Variety Expert who is well known write their take on these gems for the article. The August, 2007 ANA publication had a great article on the Wi Extra Leaf Quarters. Why not get the "Respect" that they deserve. Interesting .... Mark. >>

Hi Mark, you must know who wrote that article on the Wis ex leafs, would he be interested?
    I would like it if you could post the article on the Wisconsin's. It would give us an idea of format and length if one were to write an article. I'm not a member of the ANA but I like the idea

of yours HI LOW. It could be done and it would be beneficial.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>confounded by how you determined die rotation -- not sure what this means. >>

Our minds don't always see shapes we normally don't. Look at this. Do you see rotation?

On the 002; if you follow the back of the knuckle on the index finger, where it meets the hand, you can see that it winds up under the thumb. Same angle as the edge of the book.

If you overlay a transparency and rotate it clockwise over the original image, I believe you'll see. >>

Thanks Papi -- the quarter is easy to see, I just could not figure out the cents since the entire image didn't seem to shift. I'll have to read up on die rotations.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>I will try Papi. >>

I tried but they do not keep records of each variety. they just lump them in as one.

<< <i>

I tried but they do not keep records of each variety. they just lump them in as one. >>

That is very disappointing. We should start a registry list. Who wants to be secretary?
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I tried but they do not keep records of each variety. they just lump them in as one. >>

That's BS. They have ALL the records, they just don't want to do the work to tabulate in their pops. I'm not impressed with their customer service lately, it takes many days to get an email response, if any. Sure wish another TPG would take these on.

Registry? I'm not sure how that works (duhh) -- just someone to maintain a running list of all certifications? What would be involved?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    I don't do secretayr work but I will tell everyone what I have left.
    WDDR
    001 11 MS67 3 MS65

002 11 MS 67

006 57 MS 67 15 MS66 7 MS65

014 2 MS67 1 MS66 1 MS60

025 45 MS 67 32 MS 66 2 MS 65

043 20 MS 67 9 MS 66

050 1 MS 67 1 MS 66

208 graded left out of the 350 that I have had graded.
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    O'K folks. I just called Jerri @ ANA Publications. "She" was very helpful concerning a possible article in a future "The Numismatist". She is in the ANA Publications Dep't. @719 482-9844. The WI Extra Leaf Quarter article was published in the August, 2007 "The Numismatist". An ANA member is the only way to access this article on line through the ANA Archives. She will tell you how to do it. Give her a call to CO. I am not an ANA member, currently.
    Specialized Investments
  • Opinions on this and pic quality?
  • 006 Right?
    Definitely the 006 skeleton finger. Yours? If it is, check for die cracks both obverse and reverse for later stage die wear.

Look at the rim on the obverse at about 6 o'clock below Lincoln's jacket for even a slight crack if you don't have any major cracking.

Look on the reverse at about 11 o'clock at the rim to see if any small crack is forming yet.

Fun coin to explore for die stages. Look at Wexler's site and he will guide you with descriptions of each stage.
  • what is the most 006 found in one roll here?

<< <i>what is the most 006 found in one roll here? >>

I've had rolls with 13 inside.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did someone here list a 4/23 auction and cancel it?

How are these things holding up?
    They are selling in the 40 to 45 range right now with the right time on the box. There was one last weekend that went for 80 but that was not a true price.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's BS. They have ALL the records, they just don't want to do the work to tabulate in their pops. I'm not impressed with their customer service lately, it takes many days to get an email response, if any. Sure wish another TPG would take these on.

Registry? I'm not sure how that works (duhh) -- just someone to maintain a running list of all certifications? What would be involved? >>

ANACS doesn't keep POP reports for the varieties? Good grief.... I thought I was the only one that couldn't figure out their pop report...They have a box that says variety when running a search but I could never get it to work.
    They have them all bunched together in one group.
    1303 graded
    13 Ms63
    31 MS64
    300 MS65
    584 NS66
    336 MS67
    15 MS68
    Good luck in figuring out how many of each.

<< <i>1303 graded >>

...and PB has or had 350 of them.

<< <i>Did someone here list a 4/23 auction and cancel it? >>

PB still has his three 4/23 boxes on Ebay @ $75 ea. ... thought he'd sell at least one on the tail of that $80 sale the other day.

<< <i>what is the most 006 found in one roll here? >>

I've also found rolls with a lucky 13 in them (mostly you will find on average about 6)

<< <i>Definitely the 006 skeleton finger. Yours? >>

You never did answer the question lostincoins...is that your 006 that you pictured?
  • got some early die state 006 today in a roll

<< <i>got some early die state 006 today in a roll >>

More details please. A roll from a mint box or from a bank box? How many found? Any die cracks? Pretty fast work (and lucky) getting to the cherry ddr. Good work!

imageimage
  • I done gots this many shinny things today boss......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file