Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only 006's available for sale right now on ebay are the graded ones that I have for sale.

Tell me that they are not a hot item. I have sold 43 of them in the past week. >>

You sold 43 graded ones or raw Pitboss?

I just got my Pro Red Book today. I have to say it was pretty exciting to see those errors pictured. Better coverage than I imagined. Yes, as we spoke about earlier, there were

possibly a couple more that we'd like to see. but still pretty exciting. We, as a group, have had something to do with their inclusion even if in a small way. Obviously the publisher and

editors did the homework needed to decide on their importance as a variety/error beyond just being novelties. Thank you Whitman and Dennis (Dentuck) once again for the consideration

and validation. I hope that you will expand on these in future issues to include more of the "keys". We anxiously await the CPG and how it expounds upon and further validates these for

the major grading companies to finally identify the errors on their labels. Like Papi (and Rodney Dangerfield would echo) said previously, a "speared buffalo" gets more respect I tell ya!

<< <i>Papi, you deserve the honor of 1700 posts, go for it. >>

I vote that Pitboss gets the 1800th post for his contributions to this thread and being one of the leading proponents of the Formative Error cause. All in favor say Aye!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    They were raw coins.

<< <i>They were raw coins. >>

How are sales going on your graded ones?
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa -- PB Warbucks... (young'uns may not get this)

Very impressive sales record. I agree, your prices must be too low! Congrat's!

I'm anxious to get the Pro Redbook too -- I have not updated the Redbook in a few years so I look forward to the latest.

Cheers, AK
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    The graded ones are moving slowly but they move in batches.

It takes a serious buyer to step up to the plate for them as I will not give them away.

I have turned down many offers and will continue to do so and as prices increase so will my prices.

What I am selling raw are coins that I will not send in for grading but they are coins others are going to want to own.

<< <i>I will not give them away. >>

That's my mantra also. That is why I list very few of mine currently and NONE of the 006's except for the Anacs' slabbed ms66 that, as you know, is currently on the bay. I actually prefer

these raw until PCGS gets its act together and labels these. I certainly don't own the quantity that you do PB but I have a decent amount that I'll hold onto for now. In the meanwhile...gotta

keep picking up the good ones while we can...right?

imageimage
    Opened up a box dated 4/21 / 13:10 today. Found only three Wddr-004's ....but.....they had the reverse stage C die crack from the mallet to the rim (first for me) so I'm ok with the meager

findings. Does anyone know if these are a rarity?
  • hello all I found you. so I now have what I think is 7 060 from my gift box. He also squished his finger with the mallet lol...
    Welcome to you and your son John to the world of formative years varieties.

We will try to help you however we can in your quest for knowledge.

I love the fact that you are taking the time to share your finds with your son.

Good luck on your journey.
  • well I have 4 boys 10, 12, 14, 16 the 16yo is the one with autism but my 10yo said this morning wow those are neat and wants to help now. That is cool because he was mad at me because he "had" to help separate 10,000 wheat cents by date. image
    10,000 wheat cents by date is quite a chore.
  • I am expecting the regular Whitman Redbook that will be released this next Spring "will" include the four 2009 P F.Y. WDDR's varieties that are so well shown in the 2014 Fifth edition of the Professional Red Book. If so, many, many young and seasoned coin collectors will see for themselves how interesting these scarce cents are ! Maybe someday, there will even be some interest in circulated "the best of variety" F.Y. cents. You never know. Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • is it common on these to have the pointer finger missing the first 2 knuckles on the left hand?
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>is it common on these to have the pointer finger missing the first 2 knuckles on the left hand? >>

What you see is production damage; an MS (Mint State) coin with a low grade.

The best coins have very few contact marks and obtain higher grades from Third Party Graders (TPG). The higher the grade, the higher the value.

According to acoin.com; If you have an average roll of NEW cents from the bank, 2-5 will be MS-60, 5-15 will be MS-61, 25-40 will be MS-63, 5-8 will be MS-64 and 1-2 will be MS-65. If you are exceptionally lucky, one will be MS-66.

An MS-68 coin is one in 100,000!
    Papi, you could write a book on these coins.
  • Papi you should write a book on these coins a definitive resourse for all who enjoy them and passably a collaboration with John Wexler? Oh also is it mint damage that makes it look like the right hand has 6 fingers?

<< <i>Oh also is it mint damage that makes it look like the right hand has 6 fingers? >>

The image is too fuzzy to tell.

But after 5 years of intense scrutiny, new discoveries are unlikely; but not impossible.

I have not seen a penny that looks as nice as yours Papi after looking at tens of thousands. Nice picture.
  • nice pic
    Is that a "satin finish" coin from the 36 coin uncirculated mint set Papi or an artist's (the designer) rendering?
    That is an artists rendering as i sure have not seen a coin that looked like that from the mint.
    try this

The artist had no concept of what the mint was about to unleash on the Formative collectible world image Thank you U.S. Mint
    Is he making fun of us Papi because we don't know how to put a link up there.
    I wonder if any of you has seen the listing for the 4/23 box on Ebay. Let me rephrase that, who hasn't seen the listing for a 4/23 box on Ebay? Unfortunately the seller got so many emails

about his previous listing for a group of boxes lp2-lp5 that he decided to sell the one box individually when the original listing expired. Starting at $29.99 plus shipping it's already too rich for

my blood. I'm sure the deep pocket people here will have fun battling it out at the final bell. Any projections as to what it will sell for? Good luck!

I don't see it.

<< <i>Is he making fun of us Papi because we don't know how to put a link up there. >>

Hmm, they asked about the picture, so I showed them the address where it came from.

<< <i>I wonder if any of you has seen the listing for the 4/23 box on Ebay. >>

4/23

I didn't realize how close to the border this box is to having none of the 006's at all. I just looked at my log entries for this date and time. I have opened a few boxes that were timed

about ten minutes later than this one and all I found were 008's and 005's. So, this one is a bit of a gamble in my mind. What do you all think? A winner? Good luck to the eventual buyer.

I would be curious to know what was found.
  • i have just started to learn about these . is there a cheat sheet that I can get to tell me what boxes to look for?

<< <i> is there a cheat sheet that I can get to tell me what boxes to look for? >>

Not really a "cheat sheet" but you can read this and other related threads that will reveal important information that will help you avoid the pitfalls (trial and error) that most of us had to

go through in refining our searches. imageimage
    I saw that one the other day but did not think too much about it because of the time frame but who knows.

<< <i>I didn't realize how close to the border this box is to having none of the 006's at all. >>

You're right; I wouldn't buy it. But it will be interesting to see the winning bid.
  • what is wrong with it?
    It is a borderline time frame John. The 4/23 boxes have a very short tim in which they produced the WDDR 006 and that is the area that it ended but there were some of those boxes that had errors. I prefer early morning hours of 4/23 up until 13:00 but have bought this late and came up with errors.
  • ok thanks do I have to go through every post to figure out what the dates and times are for the boxes to buy or is there a list that some one will share with a very new person to this series?

<< <i>to date:

All Wexler numbers

4/30 9774 7:41 - 11 DDR-001, 6 DDR-002, 11 DDR-009, 3 DDR-003
    4/17 9883 8:59 - 1 DDR-001, 2 DDR-002, 12 DDR-009, 8 DDR-003
    4/24 5 DDR-008, 7 DDR unattributed (thumb looks broken)
    4/30 9883 12:17 - 4 DDR-003
    4/27 9774 9:34 - 6 DDR-002, 10 DDR-003, 1 DDR-001, 4 DDR-010, 3 DDR-009
    4/27 9774 9:34 - DDR-002 on one end, DDR-003 on other end, unopened
    4/27 9774 8:59 - 8 DDR-002, 16 DDR-003, 1 DDR-001, 8 DDR-010
    4/29 9883 8:36 - nothing
    4/17 9774 14:17 - 11 DDR-002 and one regular that looks MS68
    4/28 9883 12:22 - 4 DDR-002, 8 DDR-010
    4/27 9883 9:11 - 6 DDR-010, 15 DDR-003, 6 DDR-002
    4/30 9774 7:41 - 4 DDR-010, 5 DDR-001, 9 DDR-003, 5 DDR-002
    4/30 9883 12:43 - 10 DDR-004 >>

2009 lincoln ddr thread for "BOX DATES AND NUMBER FOUND"

That's a sample from the above thread; page 8
  • These would not be good then? Sorry for posting I guess new people should not post just got yelled at lol
    link to ebay

<< <i>These would not be good then? Sorry for posting I guess new people should not post just got yelled at lol
    link to ebay >>

Those are LP1. You're paying $50 for Mint Packaging, nothing else.

The only time I buy these is when they're sold with an LP2 set I want.
    I'm surprised no one bought that set with the 4/23. I was tempted, but it was a (big) gamble. No bids indicates the precision of the knowledge base out there. Now it's already up to $31 on it's own...I guess enough attention was drawn (by this forum?) to garner some action.

It would be really interesting to see what the closing price would be of a 4/23 box listing now in the "prime times". Anyone recall what the last one sold for? I have a stash of these yet unopened, it's tempting...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Go ahead, make my day Wayne.

It would be a fun ride!
    Yeah Steve, as tempting as it is, I still want to be the first to find that elusive MS68 006!
    I'll tell you what I'm going to do guys just for the fun of it.

I have 3 boxes here all with the 13:09 time on them I am going to put on ebay to see what happens.

I bought these on ebay and have no idea if they contain any errors or not.

I have had no luck with anything after 13:00 so make no guarantees what is in them.

Boxes look clean and good so we will find out what they are worth.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I could post the notebook entries I've made from the 100 or so boxes I've opened from 4/17-4/30. The 006's are sprinkled around more than you might expect on 4/23. I'll have to find the notebook first....

There is an eBay listing that had 4/23 sets for $11 BIN but looks like someone bought them. There are several other dates, anyone see that listing? Know if the dates are good?

• if you guys find a good listing and don,t want it let me know and I will pick it up as I am busy going through that bank box gift.
  • I am having a problem with this one it may be nothing so if possible could I get a little help. the issue is left hand first knuckle looks doubled up.

<< <i>Yeah Steve, as tempting as it is, I still want to be the first to find that elusive MS68 006! >>

Could they grade 68 with the die scratches on the obverse, they all have them over/under LIBERTY ?

<< <i>I am having a problem with this one it may be nothing so if possible could I get a little help. the issue is left hand first knuckle looks doubled up. >>

It's a contact mark (damage), from hitting another coin. Follow it to the right, it extends to the forearm.

<< <i>I'll tell you what I'm going to do guys just for the fun of it.

I have 3 boxes here all with the 13:09 time on them I am going to put on ebay to see what happens.

I bought these on ebay and have no idea if they contain any errors or not.

I have had no luck with anything after 13:00 so make no guarantees what is in them.

Boxes look clean and good so we will find out what they are worth. >>

They have been listed on a 5 day listing starting tonight at 9 PM eastern time.

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah Steve, as tempting as it is, I still want to be the first to find that elusive MS68 006! >>

Could they grade 68 with the die scratches on the obverse, they all have them over/under LIBERTY ? >>

I didn't realize that the majority have the die scratches, but this seems the case especially on Lincoln's bust lower left bottom edge. I know ANACS has graded at least 15 Formative DDRs in MS68 so they are out there. There are 6 in MS69 in the MSSF class, which I think are "special finish" i.e. satin finish -- correct me if I am wrong.

I have not looked up the pops in PCGS yet.
    There is only one MS 68 on the 006 that I know of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file