Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah,that's a good question. Any "new" discoveries in the 2009 Form.Ys.? I wonder? If there are,it will probably be a tiny notch or bleep. I for one do have several with a wire appearance on the reverse at 7image'clock.imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Pictures would be good. I had posted here quite awhile ago a "discovery" I had made of a die clash/scratch? on the reverse that added an extra blade of grass by his boot. Since it was just a

die clash/scratch and not a doubled die I never sent it in. Still I think they're interesting and worth keeping. I found several of them in one box but they are not as prevalent as the catfish

Abe obverse die clash. You can see the clash on the upper left side of the boot going upwards into the field. The Wisconsin quarter had their extra leaves, this is my extra blade of grass!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Does the Minnesota extra trees bring back any bad memories guys and gals?

Those are why PCGS and NGC have not attributed these great 2009 P double dies.

The Minnesota coins were a joke and too many of the 2009 pennies are too if you want my opinion.

We need to stick with the 7-12 good errors and forget about all the dots and dashes.
    I absolutely agree Pitboss....I think we all do....The CPG will be the ultimate arbiter on which are the best of the best. (whenever they decide to publish that is.... imageisgustimage

In the meantime it's still fun to look for interesting anomalies that haven't been identified by Wexler, Coneca, et al.

My focus these days is very narrow and I'm only buying specific dates of the lp2's when they come up at a cheap price (picked up a 4/23 for about $15 recently). I haven't seen any deals on

bank boxes that I think will produce desirable errors so I just keep looking and hoping for now. Treasurechest? is still selling mass quantities of the 043's which is devaluing them (more

common than I first believed like the WDDR 002's) in my opinion. We'll see what the future holds but let's keep the conversation going...I still love the hunt! imageimage
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>(picked up a 4/23 for about $15 recently). >>

image I'm in bed at that time.image

Why didn't these get CPG numbers?

imageimage
    imageimage

Maybe in another 10 years?

Why didn't these get CPG numbers? Maybe in another 10 years?

That's a great question Papi...you'd think they'd be there. Those are all obvious and unique errors to the series, not dots and dashes as Pitboss would say. Isn't Ken Potter part of the

selection committee as a Lincoln cent expert? Maybe he just got tired of looking at Wexler's site after awhile and lost focus. All kidding aside, it is a shame that the CPG would not refer to

threads like these that have clearly specified which errors are considered the "best of the best" by the collectors who have true focus on the series. You're right Papi, once they finally

publish the new CPG, a publication that will be missing some of the keys to the series in its listing, we will have to wait another ten years for the next publication and see if they expand

CPG numbers to include those that you pictured.

P.S. glad you were sleeping when that lp2 box came up for sale. image

From Dentuck-

<< <i>If you collect the "Extra Finger" and similar die varieties of
    2009 Formative Years Lincoln cents, and would like to review
    that section of the 5th edition of the Red Book Professional
    Edition, send me an email at dennis.tucker @ whitmanbooks . com
    >>

I hope we can have someone share this information on this page so we don't ALL have to email him. One step closer. imageimage
    Yeah baby,"One step closer!"imageimage

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jut pulled my box out. It says LP2 9883 10:38 4/21/09.

Anything worth checking for? >>

I read somewhere that someone found some WDDR-002's in the box dated 4/21 9:30 a.m. I never opened one so I have no evidence if it is true or not. I just had it written in my notes from 2009. I would say open it, never know what is in there. Mike
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
    I agree open it up you might get a pleasant surprise. You will not get any bids on it on ebay anyway as it is not recognized as one of the key boxes .

<< <i>Just finished digging through my "dust bin" and came across some LP2 boxes. Anything good in these, maybe???

3 boxes of LP2 - 9774 - 13:24 - 4/23
    1 box of LP2 - 9774 - 13:32 - 4/23

Edited: Sunday August 04, 2013 at 7:16 AM by ColonelKlinck >>

In more exciting news..ColonelKlinck says he has four boxes dated on 4/23...now, what might he find in these boxes???? image

Ok, I will.....Colonel you have THE boxes date and times that will yield the Wddr-006 / Wddo-002 Skeleton finger cents. Congrats! A doubled thumbs up to you! imageimage

From Dentuck's thread...Caleb...

<< <i> I say “hog wash” to your assumptions. I do not believe Ken Potter submitted any pictures to Whitman for the 2009 Formative Years DDR’s to be included in the Red Book Professional

Edition. I believe that Whitman wanted to show examples of modern day doubling for the 2009 Formative Years Cents and they asked Mr. Potter for permission to use his photographs in

their newest edition of the Professional Red Book. >>

The best way to resolve this possible conflict of interest is to use John Wexler's pics in their new Professional Red Book instead of Ken Potter's. It is obvious to me at least (because of the

choices they made of which errors to highlight) that something's wrong. How can there be such a disconnect between a publisher and his MOST knowledgable collectors of this series?

Dennis has read these threads, has seen all of the evaluations, and should know what the pecking order of importance is in these premier varieties. I'm mystified personally and

disappointed that our collective consensus opinions have been totally dismissed in favor of a guy that hasn't contributed one iota to the conversation in all of these years...
    I received a nice PM from Dennis (Dentuck) tonight. I reiterated my particular position on which photos should be used in the upcoming Professional Red Book regardless of the source of said

photos. I am exhausted from the seeming resistance to logical explanations as to why the 001 and 006 need to be used in illustrations. So, as I have stated before, I have nothing more

to offer on the subject of pictures in Whitman's publications. As I said to him, at least we tried. Enough said.

Now, back to collecting. imageimageimage
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the time and interest that Dennis Tucker and Whitman Publishing have devoted to having the 2009 P F. Y. DDR's Cents recognized in their publications. True, they need fresh coin information in their on going publications but there is nothing to say that these F Y DDR's Cents have to be mentioned at all. I am sure that there are other interesting coins that they could devote valuable book space for and please many collectors. My point is, let's be thankful for whatever photos/text that Dennis and his co workers deem significant. The 5th edition of the Professional Redbook is not the first and last DDR information that they can detail in future books. Dennis, Thank You.
    Specialized Investments
    Yes! Exactly! Dennis is 'da Man!imageimage

I was just informed via a PM from Dennis (Dentuck) that the Wddr-006 Skeleton finger will now be included (pictured) in the new Professional Red Book. image

A doubled thumbs up thank you to Dennis from me...one of the "True Believers"! imageimage
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    Various folks saw different versions of the PDF as we were
    tinkering with potential layouts, content, etc. The Skeleton
    Finger is indeed one of the die varieties pictured in the fifth
    Professional Edition Red Book.

Thanks again to everyone who weighed in with insight on
    these coins.

-- Dennis

Once again Dennis this is a tremendously exciting development! Is there a final layout PDF we can view? Inquiring minds want to know..haha!

imageimageimage
    How soon will we be able to order one of these books Dennis?
    Very,very COOL! I hate to be redundant but, " D.Y.D.M." You know what that stands for. Dennis,your "da man! and yes,you are a true believer too.imageimage

• F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. All this talk about the LP2 boxes made me want to dig out mine. Could anyone tell me if this date or lot is significant?

I have five boxes marked:

LP2, 9774 , 07:57, 04/30/09

The funny thing is, that as soon as they arrived, I had planned to open them up and just search for a nice one for my collection. Over time, I just kind of ignored them and said "I'll check them out sometime in the future". Four years later... ......image
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
    Those should be very good boxes for WDDR 001 and WDDR 002.
  • F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I guess I'll open up one of the rolls to explore sometime later this week. Admittedly it's kind of hard for me to take them out of their nice mint wrapping. image
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
    F117ASR welcome to the dance..I think you're going to very happy when you look through your loupe and see an extra finger or double thumb staring back at you for the first time!

Enjoy the hunt and please share what you find. I do recommend that you make a listing of date, time, and batch number of each box and record the variety number and quantities found

of each of the individual errors. This way, in the future as you come across various boxes for sale, you'll have a better idea of which are the prime ones and which ones you should pass on.

Good luck!

imageimage
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got my computer fixed, just stopping by to say that I too thought we were talking about the CPG guide and glad that Dennis cleared all that up and its also nice to see there going to list the Skeleton finger. I am going to submit 6 to 8 of my best ones to our host this week just to see what there going to grade and can always send them back in for attributation. I still have 3 sealed boxes,(thought I had a 4/23) but there 4/15-4/27 and 4/30. Great Job to All of You who have been around and kept this thread going since these were Discovered. Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
    We missed your contributions Tom.

Welcome back!
    Hi F117ASR, Welcome to the party! By you climbing aboard,just adds "fuel to the fire!" We hope you find the hidden gems in your long awaited 5 year old boxes,that have been screaming to ya to "let us out!"image-joeyimageimage

While looking through my WDDR 006's I found one with a complete die crack starting at the rim on the top of the coin and running through the coin on the right side to an exit point at the rim about 3/4 of the way down the coin.

Has anyone else encountered one of these?
    Clock positions?

How big is it?

Pics?
    It's on the obverse from the rim between the W & E in we across the right side to the rim between 3 and 4 o'clock. It is a very significant die crack.
    It is not as wide as the fatal die crack but it goes all the way across the coin.
    I have a dinoscope but am not good with pictures from it.

I have a picture but don't know what to do with it.
    Pitboss...go to photobucket.com and download the picture there for free. Once you've done that it will give you an "image" code that will automatically copy. You then simply come to this

site, click on "http". at the top of the page it will have a blue highlighted word that you will erase and then paste the "image" in that box. When you hit enter it will give you another

blue highlighted word that you will erase and put your own description (such as "die crack"). Now you hit enter once more and miracles of miracles it goes onto your page. You now can write

anything else you want on your post about the error for all of us to peruse. Hit "reply to thread" at the bottom of the page and you're done! Good luck! Can't wait to see your discovery!

Did this coin come out of an LP2 box or a bank box?
    I cant get it to work

<< <i>I cant get it to work >>

Send Me The Coin image No really I will post a picture and send it back, maybe..........I want one with a die crack and have not seen one yet..............

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭

<< <i>I cant get it to work >>

Forget trying to link it; just post the address to the image location.
    Text

One more time, if this don't work I quit.

<< <i>image >>

This is a copper plating gas bubble. Looks cool, but not a crack

<< <i>image >>

Beat me too it.............Nice job

Link to My Registry Set.

It shows a crack on both ends on the rim.

<< <i>It shows a crack on both ends on the rim. >>

That may be, but it's a planchet problem; not a die problem
    Thanks Papi, maybe I will put it on ebay and see if anyone wants it.
    Pitboss...you didn't answer my question about where you found this...but now it doesn't matter since it's just a gas bubble. You almost had me opening up another LP2 box to search

for die cracks! Oh well, at least you were able to post a pic. image
    I have no idea where I got it I buy so many of these things it could have been from any of 2 dozen placces but it is interesting and I did get the picture in eventually. Thanks for the help guys.
    To make it easier for Zippcity to find this thread. He posted about 2009 proof sets that he has. I suggested he look through them for the proof doubled dies and to check out this thread for

more information toward that quest. Meanwhile...going to do a little looking through some rolls today. imageimageimage
    I hope you find some good ones. All I have come up with lately are some WDDR 030's. I did manage to sell $1900 worth of the minor varieties including 13 rolls of the 030 last week so it makes it worthwhile.
    That's good good to see Pitboss....I'll have to scout Ebay for completed sales. imageimage
    It will not be on ebay, it was a private sale but it is better that way with no ebay charges.
    I just wanted to share this. I had never seen this particular obverse die crack/break before. I have not been able to identify any reverse error yet (if one exists). Has anyone else come

across this one before?

">??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file