Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thought I paid too much at $65/box for these 6 mos ago... >>

It's only "too much" if you get a dud for a box. I've gotten more duds than winners but the few winners give me encouragement that there's still hope. imageimage

The search (and the beat) goes on..... image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Duds are a big part of this game. I am sitting on quite a few unopened boxes for the future when and if I decide to sell or open them.imageimage
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to decide if I should "Bump" or not? It's been over 2 weeks since anyone chimed in.Could it be we lost the fire and interest? I haven't! (not yet anyway)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    No, I have not lost interest at all. I have been talking with many people interested in these great coins but by PM. We are all just waiting for something to happen and keeping our eyes open.imageimage
    Oh?imageimage

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a believer but I've lost interest about a year or two ago. I have enough stashed away to make a comeback if it was ever worthwhile to do.
    Jesse you will still be around when the real action gets going on these things.
    imageimage
    I am sure I'll come out of the weeds image
    There have been a lot of good bargains out there lately if you search through those weeds,

I have picked up a lot of good LP2 boxes in the last few weeks but you have to search them out.

imageimage
    I have been out of the loop for awhile but am still interested in finding bargains when they present themselves. Gotta keep the faith "believers"!
    Speaking of which, I had a very successful weekend while everybody was partying.

I picked up a boatload of key date LP2 boxes and even a promising looking box of 50 rolls as soon as they were listed.

Now is the time to buy these LP2 boxes as they are disappearing fast.

From not having any a couple of months ago to having over 50 of them now is good progress.

A year ago I opened all of the ones I had so I needed to refill my stock.

Thanks guys for having a nice weekend and missing some of these great deals.

Keep digging as there are still some out there though.

imageimage
  • Pitboss, the only reason key date lp2 boxes are disappearing so fast is BECAUSE YOU KEEP BUYING THEM ALL !!!

I was lucky enough this past month to buy enough lp2 boxes to put together my first roll of 001s and two rolls of 002s. I also found 9 Satin 005s, 10 bucks a piece.

The only reason I was able to get any coins at all is because I have Mrs. Pitboss sending me a text letting me know when you are sleeping.
    How the hell did you manage to keep a Saint like her around for so long anyways?
    I bet you had to tongue a few black chips every night, spit them out when you got home, clean them off and then give them to her.... that it??
    She does like my tongue but she would not help out a clown like you, she would just buy it for me.

I am not opening these boxes as I have enough opened already and plan to sell them that way when they become scarce.

Hopefully that will take place in the next couple of years.

I am having fun buying them and have plenty of time on my hands to see them when they appear and am selling enough graded to pay for my fun.

So why not, maybe it will pay off in the long run.

imageimage
    Good to see you're having luck finding bargains out there Pitboss. Was out of town myself for awhile and wasn't active on Ebay. Now I'm back and not seeing much of anything to get excited

about. I'm keeping the faith though!
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope she likes that 6th finger too. What are we talking about anyway?

Congrats PB for your scores. I moved over the holiday and had no net to compete. Lucky man tongue and all!

I'll be back.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Glad to hear you got moved finally. Now it's on to finding more quality errors.

imageimage
    I was just thinking....does anyone here collect other cent errors besides these? Does anyone here own a '55 double die?
    Nope. image

I got a little lucky with some good and quick intel.
    People on this forum from the beginning got a boatload of these early on.

I had the mailman delivering 20 to 30 boxes every day.

It took a little while for me to figure out which were the good dates but once I did I zeroed in and sure got my share.

I wish I had listened to Papi when he said to concentrate on the 50 roll boxes back then.

It took me 3 years before I started going through them and I still came up with my share of them too.

I probably have more graded errors now than anyone else.

imageimage
    There were a lot of boxes available 10-12 days ago but they have all disappeared. I know I got quite a few of them but either people have stopped listing them or they are really starting to dry up.
    imageimageimage

• 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    This needs a bump and also

I decided to let my DDR's go and wanted to offer them here to you guys.

It was a lot off fun searching and finding these but time to sell.

I didn't search any bank boxes just LP2's and only have some of those DDR's

Here is what I have. Feel free to PM an offer as I do want to sell them.

I know this isn't BST but you guys deserve first chance.

Most of you have plenty of each but you may still be interested in more.

Joe

(32) WDDR-OO2 "DOUBLE THUMB"
    (84) WDDR-003
    (48) WDDR-004, (25) WITH DIE CRACK AT MALLETT
    (16) WDDR-013 LARGE DIE CRACK

Sorry but I doubt if there will be much interest in those particular coins as they are not the most desirable ones.

look

Auction just ended. There is still some interest. $40 + per box (questionable time to produce the 006 skeleton fingers?) Anyone here on this site the winner? Congrats!
    anotherauctionut won it.

I too was bidding but would not go that high.

The WDDR 006 is still the king.

I have a bunch of 4/23 boxes that I have not opened.
    I thought you might be following that auction Pitboss. I was thinking of bidding up to $20 per box but when I started to bid there were two bids of over $200 blowing everyone away. Again,

the times on the boxes were borderline too late to produce the 006's. What do you think? Inside the timeline?
    Barely in the timeline but should produce some skeletons.

I doubt they will produce enough to warrant that high a bid though.

Could be a winner in the long run when the CPG comes out but not at todays price of $10 each.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Maybe the CPG will come out on Lincolns' 250th birthday
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the CPG will come out on Lincolns' 250th birthday >>

You guys should have every box ever made in your hands by then.
    At the rate they are going it probably will not even be that soon.

Any comments on that Dentuk as to a release date or whatever else you can tell us?
    We're not going to get EVERY box or roll out there. I'm sure there are several "closet formative error collectors" out there (or members of this forum) I've got enough already of this

particular error but here's a golden opportunity to buy a fabulous roll on Ebay.....

hurry...won't last!
    I have many rolls that have that error on the end and would be happy as a pig in $hit if I could get that kind of money for each of them.
    Nice visual PB -- I'll keep my fingers crossed (doubled) for ya.

Didn't you open some of these 13:20 boxes? Certainly is a fence date.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Hi Wayne how ya doing guy?
    Yes I opened one with that date and time a few months ago and found quite a few errors. I have more of the same date and time unopened. In my past encounters with that time some rolls have been good some bad, that is why I say it is on the borderline. I would have had those 5 boxes for up to $135 but did not expect them to go for over $200.
    I'm planning on seeing some pig on my grill tonight as opposed to your fantasy.

It's hard to focus on coins this time of year and I'm still setting up a new office -- too dang many distractions this time of year. Those vigilant at this time should be able to score some good ddr deals. With the tanking of PM's there is certainly a big slump in coin sales. HOWEVER, in the last few weeks my only eBay sale was a couple of our fav skeletons... Demand is there!
    Demand has been good for the graded 09 cents which is all I have been selling and even they have slowed down in the past couple of weeks.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Did you see that box of formative years sell for $173 plus last night? >>

Link? >>

And to think I paid $900 for 2 bank boxes of the Log cabins. Prices were higher way back when...image

<< <i> but did not expect them to go for over $200. >>

In their heyday 4/23 boxes went for $75+

<< <i> I have been selling and even they have slowed down in the past couple of weeks. >>

Summertime is notoriously slow on Ebay
    ...and skeletons sold for $50 each!
    I never bought any for that kind of money but then again I got a lot of them before I even knew what they were.

I was opening up some of the three hundred boxes that I bought before I even knew what to look for and saw these big errors and just put them aside. At that time i was looking for 001's and 2's. I though the big errors were neat and got quite a few before I even knew what they were but the boxes were cheap back then.
  • Question to the message board.

How is it that the same error can appear on 2009 fy from two different mints.
    When I first noticed this I just assumed that the mints uses a die and then sends it to one of
    the other mints for further use.
    Someone (pitboss) pointed out to me that that would be impossible because the used die would have the mint mark from the first
    mint that used the die. A couple of errors that come to mind are the business strike wddr-057 and the proof strike wddr-005.
    Another one would be the proof wddr-006 and the satin wddr-005.

Looking forward to getting some feedback on this issue.

PS: please don't bid on the roll of 043s that ends tonight... I need this one boys
    Good question to ask. There should be some answers for you here if everybody is not on vacation.

You really do not expect for everyone to stay away from the roll of 43's tonight do you.
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I find the top 2009 FY WDDRs to be very collectable. Future attention should help the interest and prices of these coins. Mark.
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>Question to the message board.

How is it that the same error can appear on 2009 fy from two different mints.
    When I first noticed this I just assumed that the mints uses a die and then sends it to one of
    the other mints for further use.
    Someone (pitboss) pointed out to me that that would be impossible because the used die would have the mint mark from the first
    mint that used the die. A couple of errors that come to mind are the business strike wddr-057 and the proof strike wddr-005.
    Another one would be the proof wddr-006 and the satin wddr-005.

Looking forward to getting some feedback on this issue.

PS: please don't bid on the roll of 043s that ends tonight... I need this one boys >>

There must be someone who can answer this question.
    4/23 box listed on ebay at $35 already with 2 hours to go. These boxes are getting harder and harder to find.
    I wasn't watching the 4/23 box auction PB, what was the winning bid? Nothing shows yet on the sales history that I can find on Ebay. Congrats to the winner though! Still the King of the

series!
    The bid was $38.50 and I won it.
    There are many die experts out there, but one scenario I have heard is that the dies were all produced at one location and the mintmark then added.

It's possible multiple mints used the same "set" of dies that were duplicated from the master die, hence the same ddr from differing mints.

This does not account for why the skeletons only came out of the Philli mint tho. It's possible the doubling was discovered and faulty dies were then destroyed?

<< <i>I have heard is that the dies were all produced at one location and the mintmark then added.

It's possible multiple mints used the same "set" of dies that were duplicated from the master die, hence the same ddr from differing mints. >>

All master dies, including those used in the Mint's numismatics, are manufactured in the Die Manufacturing Division of the Philadelphia Mint.

Mint marks are placed in the hub at Philadelphia.

This hub is the tool that produces the working dies used to stamp the coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file