How old are you Papi?

Are you young enough to be my son?
  • lolol, that is all I can say.

• PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>How old are you Papi?

Are you young enough to be my son? >>

Time goes by fast: image
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, just got home tonight and saw a package waiting for me. It's the U09 special mint set with the satin finish cents. I like to look for errors in the 2009D series. Luck was a lady

tonight. Found a WDDR-009 satin finish (a "best of") doubled thumb. A quick overview says that it's in the ms64-65 range. Now, who has any idea of how many of these exist?

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I never even thought to look in the "D" coins. I guess I will have to take them out again and check them.
  • I have one of the satin finish double thumbs so we know there are at least two of them

<< <i>I have one of the satin finish double thumbs so we know there are at least two of them >>

imageimageimage

Also just picked up a WDDR-002 in an unattributed NGC slab MS-66. I know it's not the most rare of the errors but it still made the top seven int the CPG

and it gives me an opportunity to see how NGC grades compared to my own standards. Off to work now....enjoy your day all!
    I went through my 30 sets of satin finish 2009 D coins.

These are very hard for me to really see but there is one 005 for sure and there may be a couple of the others.

I bought these as Lincoln penny strips from many different locations across the country and the quality of most of them is not very good.

The one 005 is off a set that came directly to me from the mint and is of better quality so is easy to see.
  • If you can't see your coins, send them to me, i'll take a looksy
    Another cool stage DDR

BIG CRACK

Wow that was fast!
    That is a nice die crack variety Papi. I don't have any graded but I do have a few of them in 2x2's. I'll have to go through them when I get a chance to see if I have any that will

get a higher grade if submitted. I wasn't tracking that sale and it doesn't show in "completed sales" yet. How much did he sell it for (accepted offer) ?

Any updates from Whitman Publishing and when the CPG is actually going to be released?

PB congrats on the satin finish 005! I have one of those also and they're, I think, much rarer than their zinc brothers.

Check out this NGC sample..

Over paid, just right, or great deal? Looking forward to seeing it in hand to judge NGC's grading standards
    Those satin finish coins are really bad looking coins.

I have not found one that shows nice crisp clear lines.
    My satin finish cents are a mix of quality. My 005 error is nice and clean probably a 66-67. My newest find, the 009, is more or less a 64. I bought one of the U09 sets and the D cent

was TORN up...really, really bad. I must have looked that packaging over for a half hour trying to figure out if he had switched coins in the mint holder. That one had a lesser error

on it (can't remember the wddr number) so I still have it. I'm trying to find all of the known "D" mint wddr's in the satin series as a subset. Right now I have four total (out of 12)

with no duplicates.

Let me hear what everyone is finding! imageimage
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really? Not being falicious, just had no idea that the D Formatives had anything appreciative to offer. I have a stack of U09 sets for the coppers -- and wasn't paying any attention to the D strikes.

Oh honorable ;imageimage
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

2009 D satin finish Wddr's here

Check it out! Starts with WDDR-003 ... Now get busy Akbeez! Let us know what you find! imageimage
    And good luck to you in seeing any of these.

<< <i>And good luck to you in seeing any of these. >>

That sounds like something a "naysayer" would interject. image Your satin finish 005 is pretty distinctive and easy to see isn't it?

<< <i>And good luck to you in seeing any of these. >>

Satin strikes are far fewer than business ones

They never go unsold on the bay.
    From what I see, the satin strikes are of very poor quality.

It is very hard to even see any portion of the hand clearly on most of the ones I looked at.
    Went back late last night and re-examined my U09 sets that I had earlier determined not to have any errors. I was right the first time...nothing new to report. Well, back to the hunt!

If anyone wants to talk trade for any 006 reverse/obverse, stages E & G, major die crack cents for some 076 stage C's - PM me. imageimage

<< <i>It is very hard to even see any portion of the hand clearly on most of the ones I looked at. >>

My errors, luckily, are very clean and easy to see. That's just bad luck PB image I'm still determined to fill the subset. It will take some time and effort but it's going to be fun and

satisfying once achieved.

<< <i>If anyone wants to talk trade for any 006 reverse/obverse, stages E & G, major die crack cents for some 076 stage C's - PM me. >>

That's like trading copper for gold. image

<< <i><< If anyone wants to talk trade for any 006 reverse/obverse, stages E & G, major die crack cents for some 076 stage C's - PM me. >>

That's like trading copper for gold. >>

Papi, I'm guessing we won't be trading partners...image

However, you may want to reconsider if you don't have any of the 076C's or missing other errors that interest you....Read on....

The 076C sold last night in the $40 range. (which speaks volumes of it's potential rarity and future value) The "gold" coin you are referring to has been offered (without any action)

on Ebay for $150 BIN. Probably worth about half that due to it's seeming rarity. I would be willing to negotiate a trade (possible combinations of errors including the 076C for 1 of the

006 double die crack variety) to anyone just to have one in my collection. I admit there is a higher value.... but copper for gold? Methinks you overvalue it. Again, anyone who may

be interested in trading (and filling out holes in their collection) please PM me. If no one can, no problem, just asking...image

imageimage
    Papi

A good example of the graded coins are my 3 different graded WDDR 043's MS65,66,and 67 that I have on ebay.

You get a real good close up on them so you can see what I mean about how the digs and spots are less and less as they go up in grade.

<< <i> I admit there is a higher value.... but copper for gold? Methinks you overvalue it. >>

I's sorry you took it as a slight, it was tongue in cheek.

I hope you find a trading partner.

As far as value, I really don't care what they're listed or sell for right now.

The ONLY reason they have value, for me, is the die marriage progression, i.e. 3 different reverses.

If not for that, it's a penny with a couple cracks.

Perhaps down the road they will be golden.

<< <i>I's sorry you took it as a slight, it was tongue in cheek.

I hope you find a trading partner. >>

No worries Papi...I took it as you meant it.

I was just trying to share my perspective.

I really don't mind continuing my searches and possibly finding them "in the wild" so to speak.

I've only had one trading partner thus far (the generous/benevolent one knows who he is).

It's always difficult to come to an agreement in what constitutes a "fair" trade. I remember as a kid trading baseball cards and arguing over who's better (worth more) , Kaline or Koufax.

The cards mostly ended up in the spokes of my bike so it would sound like a motorcycle..haa.....

This is why I don't attach myself so closely to these errors and offer trades. Others may like Koufax or need a Kaline to complete their collection. If I have ten or twenty of each and I

can get a Yogi Berra, a Harmon Killibrew, and a Don Drysdale; players I need to fill out my collection; for one card or the other, I'll do the deal. Now we're both happy and best friends on

top of that. (Thanks again generous/benevolent one) ... it all comes down to what you value the most.

Now, it's back to Ebay and hope to get something that will bear fruit. (no, I'm not looking for fruit trees on the bay, lol) My search continues...unless someone needs a Kaline or

a Koufax that they want to trade an 006 double die crack for....

imageimage
    A point to ponder

With all the circulated errors out there would it not be wise for all you folks that live on the east coast to go to the banks in your area and buy all the cents you can for face value and put them away for a while. You are not going to make any interest in the savings account anyway and you just might end up with a treasure chest on your hands. These coins are out there somewhere and this might be your opportunity to reap a huge reward in a few years when everybody is looking at boxes for these errors.

It is a waste of time for us on the west coast to look for these in circulated rolls as they were never released out here.

<< <i>go to the banks in your area and buy all the cents you can for face value. These coins are out there somewhere. >>

I got absolutely ZERO help from any bank when these were released. They treated me like a nuisance.

Why do you think a bank would still have these in their vault after 4 years?
    I am talking about boxes of mixed dates that are bound to have some of the formative years in them. The banks will give you all the pennies you want but they are not going to even know what you are talking about if you ask for formative years. Not only that but what is the price of copper going to be in the future and right now there are plenty of copper coins out there. They are only going to cost you $25 a box if you get them this way. Needless to say it probably is not worth your time to look through these right now but maybe it will be in 20 years, you have nothing to lose to store some away as your 1% interest on savings today is a joke.
    By the way you probably were a nuisance to them.imageimage

<< <i>Needless to say it probably is not worth your time to look through these right now but maybe it will be in 20 years >>

Wish me luck living that long! image I think if I lived on the east coast that I would be searching those $25 boxes right now! I don't have that much storage room and I love the search!

Come to think about it...I might go to my bank anyway (west coast) and see if I can get lucky too!
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Needless to say it probably is not worth your time to look through these right now but maybe it will be in 20 years >>

Wish me luck living that long! image I think if I lived on the east coast that I would be searching those $25 boxes right now! I don't have that much storage room and I love the search!

Come to think about it...I might go to my bank anyway (west coast) and see if I can get lucky too! >>

Hi guys. This is what I mentioned a couple of weeks back. That the 2009 bank boxes, I believe, are still out there in some of these banks! Where is the great question. Just as onedollarholler said, one may never know,you still can get lucky! Keep hunting,I'll let you guys know if and when I find a box. ( fingers,all six or seven,are crossed)image One more thing about placing your baseball cards in your spokes of your bike,imageimageimageimageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    I remember the baseball cards when I was a kid, the difference was Ted Williams / Jow Dimageo / Whitey Ford / Moose Skowren / Bobby Doore ( spelling is terrible, lucky I remember names) and all the others that were worth a lot more money than the ones from your generation.

THE POINT IS 20 OR EVEN 30 YEARS MAKE THINGS MORE VALUABLE.
    I received my NGC unattributed wddr-002 in the mail today. To remind you it's slabbed as an MS-66. I would say that they are spot on with the grade. The reverse would grade out to about

a 67 but the obverse has a 1/8" ding/cut on Lincoln's collar (otherwise very clean also) which gave it the net grade of 66. I started to try to figure out die stages but gave up..too subtle

for me. I just can't see the minute die cracks that even the stage A purports to have. I can see one on Lincoln's forehead but that's it. Supposedly they are also present on the mallet,

both legs, etc. BTW I have 20/20 vision but my loupe just isn't enough I guess. The hand is very clean so the error really jumps...no nasty dings or smashed fingers!

It would be funny if the grader actually downgraded the coin because of the doubled thumb...Glad I picked her up. Gives me something of a guide (and reassurance of my own grading

skills) to compare my raw collection.

What is everyone else finding? Keep the faith and keep sharing your thoughts!

imageimage
    If you haven't caught Pitboss' other thread about getting ripped off by a buyer on Ebay read this:

<< <i>Bad ebay buyer Listing # 160968417825 if you are interested >>

Unbelievable gall to do a switch and report a SNAD to Ebay for a refund!

This guy is a total jerk and I hope he gets kicked off ebay. He did this to 3 other people yet ebay rules against me who has over 1000 successful transactions against him who has 22. Wow!
    anacs ms66

Thought I'd share this. The question had been asked earlier by Papi if the rinse spots on the coins affected the grade. In this case I'd say no. It's a nice error but too fugly for me.

Hope you all are doing well...seems to be a lull in the conversation. Love to know if anyone has found anything new and exciting in their searches of late. imageimage

That is HIDEOUS! That looks like the slab they sold on Home Shopping Network. UGLY
    That is a nasty looking coin no question and where did they get that holder.

I have an MS60 that does not look like that,

<< <i>where did they get that holder? >>

Double Pinky
    Looks like it was in water!

<< <i>Looks like it was in water! >>

From chemicals used to rinse planchets. I've had coins in bank boxes with these spots.
    I can't believe someone would even sell that.

I know I would not.

Glad mine don't look like that.
    The photo is likely worse than in hand. The angle of lighting of the shots likely enhanced the contrast of the water spots.

The seller did themselves no service with the pix. ACTUALLY, I'd be more PO'd that ANACS failed to use the correct variety attribution number.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>ACTUALLY, I'd be more PO'd that ANACS failed to use the correct variety attribution number. >>

They didn't use any attribution number because the submitter did not request the information on the slab.
    I cant believe that this coin was graded that high by ANACS.

I also cant believe someone would send a coin like that in to be graded.

Something had to have happened along the way maybe in where he had it stored or something like that.

I too have received boxes that had bad coins in them that looked like that and know that copper can do that over time.
    So the service will put whatever you want on the slab as a variety?

Jeez, I think I could come up with more gansta-creative names in that case...
    My guess that was so early on when these were first discovered that Wexler did not even have them listed at that time.

<< <i>So the service will put whatever you want on the slab as a variety? >>

I believe they will place your verbiage on the slab.

<< <i>My guess that was so early on when these were first discovered that Wexler did not even have them listed at that time. >>

That would be incorrect as these were sold by Home Shopping Network in 2011; discovery was in 2009.

How do we know? Because WDDR-025 was discovered only in bank boxes, as you well know PB; and WDDR-026 can be found in LP2 boxes which were issued in 2009.

Double Pinky Video

<< <i>Jeez, I think I could come up with more gansta-creative names in that case... >>

I like the

The Lobster Claw for 001

The Crab Claw for 014

The Mantis Claw for 050

The Scorpion Claw for 062

Hey those aren't very gangsta'

Where's the MoFoFing yo?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file