Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes,Like mentioned,keep the faith! If you search hard enough,and a little luck,one can still find these (2009) at banks.Just ask the tellers.Some banks,surprisingly,still have in their vaults.imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Good luck getting the tellers at the banks to help you out with that.

They give me a dirty look when I have them order half dollars for me which takes them 2 weeks to get in (yes I do search for silver too).

I guess I need to be in a small town bank that does not have a line of people waiting in line.

imageimage
    Yes,suburban banks would be your best bet. I admit,it's not easy,and your odds are not good,but you'll never know.These suburban bank tellers are bored,no traffic. This is their excitement for the week! Don't you just wish you worked at a bank? I know I'd be fired in a week. Taking too much time drooling over all the coinage.image oh well. imageimage

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>What's the best way to examine these coins? What would
    you recommend to a new collector? >>

With all due respect Dentuck.

The best way to examine these coins would be to look in your books.

They, in turn, would determine the best method for themselves how to examine them.

The major ones can be seen with any household magnifier.

I challenge even the persons with the best eyesight to see the details on a penny without a magnifier.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    It is an interesting question that Dentuck poses. More interesting to me is WHY he's asking this question. Dennis, can you enlighten us? We're trying to be patient, cooperative, informative,

professional, and genuine in our efforts to share these errors with the numismatic community (including numismatic publications) and we will continue to do so. It would be nice if you

could reciprocate and share with us what your personal view is on these errors and what, if any, influence your opinion will have on future publications and elaborations within.

I think it's a fair question. We already know that you can't make a unilateral decision for their inclusion but your voice will be heard in those private meetings with the jury.

Meanwhile we will remain doubled die-hards for the 2009p Formative Years errors!

imageimage
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    I think they're neat varieties and they're visually interesting when
    magnified. Looking at an actual-size Formative Years Lincoln cent,
    I do wonder how easy it would be to casually identify one in circulation
    (in other words, to find one in pocket change and immediately know,
    with a quick glance, that you're holding a die variety and not a normal
    strike). Lincoln is a portion of the reverse. . . Lincoln's hand is a small
    portion of Lincoln. . . . his fingers are a portion of his hand. If, however,
    you're able to find rolls of the Formative Years coins, I can see how it
    would be fun to go through them with a loupe or magnifying glass
    looking for varieties. As for publication in books, I definitely envision a
    place for them in the Professional Edition Red Book, which is geared
    toward intermediate to advanced collectors (those who would actively
    seek out rolls of coins to search), and of course the Cherrypickers'
    Guide
    , whose very purpose is to help collectors identify and learn
    about die varieties.

An enterprising collector who enjoys research and writing
    could put together an article for The Numismatist, or
    even a video like the one Rick Snow made about the
    "Extra Leaf High" and "Extra Leaf Low" 2004-D Wisconsin
    quarters --- or heck, even write a definitive new standard
    reference on these varieties, to be self-published online or
    even in print. Passionate hobbyists could form a Society of
    Formative Years Variety Collectors, with a journal or news-
    letter. Or even try to fire up the interest of the mainstream
    media, the way B. Max Mehl would have, back in the day.

<< <i> --- or heck, even write a definitive new standard reference on these varieties, to be self-published online or even in print. >>

Wexler's Die Varieties

Coppercoins

The Lincoln Cent Resource

Coneca

Ken Potter

<< <i> do wonder how easy it would be to casually identify one in circulation
    (in other words, to find one in pocket change and immediately know,
    with a quick glance, that you're holding a die variety and not a normal
    strike). Lincoln is a portion of the reverse. . . Lincoln's hand is a small
    portion of Lincoln. . . . his fingers are a portion of his hand. >>

If it were one of the major errors and you had 20/20 vision you would see there was "something" different while focusing on Lincoln's hand holding the book. You might need a loupe to

further investigate and identify the specific error later but it would be apparent enough to put it aside.

I would argue that looking for Vams on a Morgan dollar requires a loupe as well.

I don't see the difference in why a loupe or magnifier being required to "see clearly" an error has anything to do with the fact that there IS an error.

I may be missing something in how different errors (on other coin series) "qualify" for recognition but then I am not the most experienced collector in the world.

<< <i><< --- or heck, even write a definitive new standard reference on these varieties, to be self-published online or even in print. >>

Wexler's Die Varieties

Coppercoins

The Lincoln Cent Resource

Coneca

Ken Potter >>

Ditto!

<< <i>I would argue that looking for Vams on a Morgan dollar requires a loupe as well. >>

I'm not arguing.

<< <i>
    I don't see the difference in why a loupe or magnifier being required to "see clearly" an error has anything to do with the fact that there IS an error.
    >>

I apologize if I wasn't clear and that's how you read what I wrote.

<< <i>I apologize if I wasn't clear and that's how you read what I wrote. >>

I understand what you are saying. It's not like looking at a '55 dd in your hand.

You cannot immediately know you have something special.

But the reverse is instantly recognizable and finding one in change will create the excitement needed to explore.

It's just like finding a '72, you can't wait to get out the glass to see if it's a doubled die.

<< <i><< I would argue that looking for Vams on a Morgan dollar requires a loupe as well. >>

I'm not arguing.
    >>

I am just "pointing out" that Morgan vams need magnification...I'm not arguing either image
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with my sh*tty 52 yo eyesight I can see those major extra fingers...these would be ez targets for young'sters.

001, 002, 006 and a few others definitely qualify for ease of seeing. (and yes, many VAMS require a loop to see, as do many Lincoln varieties already recognized, how about the step Jeffersons?)

Just ask your 12 year old to look. My son(s) helped me immensely and will be a future collector.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Half -- no need to bail out -- we'll help ya. PM me for specifics. I owe ya big time for the SAE's of 08. You have lots of friends here.

AK
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Wow, not they're being sold 500 at a time.

I hope they sell image
    A box dated 4/29 with a good time on it went for $55 yesterday and another with all the LP boxes with a 4/17 dat already has some bids on it.

Is this a sign of what these boxes are going to be selling for or just some overzealous bidding?
  • newnotesnewnotes Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Looks like you folks are having too much fun with this. So, I'm dipping my big toe into the "LP2 waters". I just bought a box with the date--4/24/09. No time visable in the picture or in the description. My total with shipping was $17.50.

What can I expect from the contents of this box?

Thanlks.
    My opinion is that $55 will be a cheap price,compared to the coming prices these gems will bring in the coming future! Collector:you are forewarned !!! Thank You Dennis,for even showing some interest,my friend. Any input from you is well appreciated. image:image

Hey image newnotes ! First of all,you made a wise choice in taking a dip,as you said. As far as the box you purchased ( a great price ) I'll let the other guys tell you of your numbers you have on your box,but good luck,my friend,in finding 1 or even several of these winners in the gumball machine!image - joey imageimage

PM sent
    Hello newnotes, welcome to the discussion! Could you tell us what time stamp is on your box dated 4/24? Every box that I opened with that date was from the early morning hours, the

latest being 8:07 am. In mine I found several of the WDDR-005's and 008's. I would recommend that you record your findings for your own future reference. Once you start buying them

you will want to be able to go back to your sheet and have the advantage of cherry picking certain dates and times. Of course there is already a vast amount of shared information on this and

other threads that you can use to fine tune your searches. Good luck! imageimage
    I will share the time on the box when I get it and I will also share what I find in it.

I'll try to be a contributer to the fun here.
    Cool! Don't forget our logo, imageimage

<< <i>A box dated 4/29 with a good time on it went for $55 yesterday and another with all the LP boxes with a 4/17 dat already has some bids on it.

Is this a sign of what these boxes are going to be selling for or just some overzealous bidding? >>

That box was paired with an LP1. I think that's what went for $55
    You are right again Papi.
    imageimage
    I have two $25-face-value bricks of 2009 cents in storage --- but I
    think they're the "Birth and Early Childhood" ("Log Cabin") type.

<sigh>

opps!
    I like your new sig line PB....imageimageimage
    Thank you, I kind of like it too. I am going to try to change my picture too on the 15th.
    imageimage
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like you folks are having too much fun with this. So, I'm dipping my big toe into the "LP2 waters". I just bought a box with the date--4/24/09. No time visable in the picture or in the description. My total with shipping was $17.50.

What can I expect from the contents of this box?

Thanlks. >>

Hey, welcome new double thumber! I did not open 4/24 boxes so I couldn't share what you may find, but would if I could. Good luck to you!
    This should be interesting!

I'm seeing a lot more circulated examples of FY varieties on Ebay; they're already looking through pocket change

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>4/23/09 >>

There is no guarantee of course but that could be a very nice box!

<< <i>4/23/09 >>

The seller should send you a commission check Papi...haha! I saw this earlier but was only going to watch...I certainly don't need any more lp3's or 4's and already have enough 006's that

I don't need to get into a bidding war. The winner of this auction will find between 6 and 10 of the 006's in that roll. Good luck bidders! imageimage

<< <i> and already have enough 006's >>

And you call yourself a true believer? image

<< <i>And you call yourself a true believer? >>

Oh yes Papi...a genuine doubled die-hard! image but I'm going to sit this dance out image Other and new "true believers" need to drink from this well imageimage
    Me too, I have three like it I intend to sell later on when the price gets real good.

<< <i>That box was paired with an LP1. I think that's what went for $55 >>

Wish I'd seen that one! The LP1 alone sells for about $65 on Ebay and the LP2 box dated 4/29 should be valued at least $20....probably more with the prime dates getting scarcer.

Anyone here win that auction? If so, congrats! imageimage

<< <i>I have two $25-face-value bricks of 2009 cents in storage --- but I
    think they're the "Birth and Early Childhood" ("Log Cabin") type.

<sigh> >>

Hey Dennis, those are great boxes as well. Their not the Formative Years with all the varieties,but just wait and hold onto. These will also,I believe,will catch on fire as well! I too have 2 $25 boxes of those too. One has to remember, this is the coin that first changed the Lincoln coin in 50 years. Have patience and be a true believer,like the rest of us. Who knows,maybe we'll be starting a new thread on these babies? joeyimageimage

What will they be paying in a year for these boxes? I think I will keep the ones I have for now.

<< <i>Completed Listing 4/23/09 >>

Congrats to the buyer! Should be fun to go through that box! Was the winner one of our own "true believers"? Good to see the values of the sealed boxes is starting to escalate!

How many of you are watching THIS auction?

This?
    Just to inform,we have a new member,Ron,that if he gets connected,maybe,he's another that can help,push,promote the cause? Com'on Ronnie! imageimage

<< <i>How many of you are watching THIS auction?

This? >>

Ah the big crack, that's the one you want to find ODH
    Those are tough to come up with, I only have one.

<< <i>Those are tough to come up with, I only have one. >>

What grade is yours?

The cracks do have a image effect

I see your new pic Boss. I didn't know you were in Bean Town
    I have not gotten it graded yet. Have you had any of yours graded yet?

I do have 30 of the regular 006's graded though; 8 MS 65, 9 MS 66, and 13 MS67's.
    I spent the first 52 years of my life on the outskirts of Boston and have lived in Albuquerque the last 21 but I still love the Red Sox.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file