Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>

I would suggest ignoring them and remaining professional. I am not saying that anyone hasn't been. But the focus really is on the collectibility of these coins and our experiences and fun in putting together our collections of the varieties that interest us. As we know, these doubled dies have been very polarizing. This thread is over 1000 posts not from greed but comradeship. Personally, I resent anyone suggesting that I want these listed in a book in order to get rich. That is silly. I will be honest, I could sell all I have for strong money and it wouldn't make a dent in my overall coin and currency collection. This isn't about money to me. I would just like more collectors know about these coins, and the Redbook is the ultimate source because it is the bible for coins. This book isn't necessarily about the veterans, but the new and young collectors getting started who will purchase it. I think these 2009 FY errors are a great foundation for a collector.

But it is easy for a non-believer to justify our interest as a get rich scheme. I don't like hearing that because it isn't how I feel. I can't speak for all, but I do believe that this thread and actually the many other threads on this forum about these coins have been about collecting and discussion about why we like them. >>

imageimageimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright,1tommy! Nice kind words,dude. How so true too. -joey imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

Credit where credit is due: Constanine's statement

<< <i>This ^^^^^. What's next, 100 + varieties of the Minnesota quarters in the Red Book also? >>

>>

The focus really is on the collectibility of these coins and our experiences and fun in putting together our collections of the varieties that interest us. As we know, these doubled dies have been very polarizing. This thread is over 1000 posts not from greed but comradeship. Personally, I resent anyone suggesting that I want these listed in a book in order to get rich. That is silly. I will be honest, I could sell all I have for strong money and it wouldn't make a dent in my overall coin and currency collection. This isn't about money to me. I would just like more collectors know about these coins, and the Redbook is the ultimate source because it is the bible for coins. This book isn't necessarily about the veterans, but the new and young collectors getting started who will purchase it. I think these 2009 FY errors are a great foundation for a collector.

But it is easy for a non-believer to justify our interest as a get rich scheme. I don't like hearing that because it isn't how I feel. I can't speak for all, but I do believe that this thread and actually the many other threads on this forum about these coins have been about collecting and discussion about why we like them. >>

I too resent the suggestion that it's only about getting rich. Somewhere there's got to be a love or fascination for these errors that supersede any monetary considerations.

Believe! imageimage
  • imageimage
    to you also, for your well put comments to dentuck.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    You guys are talking about the joy of collecting on this page but go to any page at random 99% of the talk is about how to get them popular and which box has which coin and how many you have stocked piled. Pick any page at random and you will see, 1000 post with 925 of them about the money. While I believe you guys love your niche and coins you there is a fundamental difference between between you 4 and most of the rest of pure collectors. Out collecting habits are indifferent to the popularity of our chosen series and we actually wish prices would fall so we could buy more. Any of you that say this is how you think I assume I could dig up 20 or so posts in just this thread that contradict that thought.

While no one likes to lose money since you mostly bought at face there is no risk there and to be honest "errors" tend to e most popular right when they Are found, those have been judged to minimal and prolific for mainstream collecting. Even if they had a full page display in the red book they are still common and very very slight. You are kidding your selves by comparing them to coins like the 55 DDO penny and the 42/1 dime. At best they are like the 84 double ear penny which is kind of scarce but I would point to the 95 DDO which is much much more dramatic than the 2009s and that goes for only a couple bucks over gradin costs because they are soo common and they are popular because of the look. Just collect what you like and leave the marketing to the dealers. You are just going to end up disappointed and the hobby need the level of enthusiasm you have all brought just refocused on the scholarly side.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys are talking about the joy of collecting on this page but go to any page at random 99% of the talk is about how to get them popular and which box has which coin and how many you have stocked piled. Pick any page at random and you will see, 1000 post with 925 of them about the money. While I believe you guys love your niche and coins you there is a fundamental difference between between you 4 and most of the rest of pure collectors. Out collecting habits are indifferent to the popularity of our chosen series and we actually wish prices would fall so we could buy more. Any of you that say this is how you think I assume I could dig up 20 or so posts in just this thread that contradict that thought.

While no one likes to lose money since you mostly bought at face there is no risk there and to be honest "errors" tend to e most popular right when they Are found, those have been judged to minimal and prolific for mainstream collecting. Even if they had a full page display in the red book they are still common and very very slight. You are kidding your selves by comparing them to coins like the 55 DDO penny and the 42/1 dime. At best they are like the 84 double ear penny which is kind of scarce but I would point to the 95 DDO which is much much more dramatic than the 2009s and that goes for only a couple bucks over gradin costs because they are soo common and they are popular because of the look. Just collect what you like and leave the marketing to the dealers. You are just going to end up disappointed and the hobby need the level of enthusiasm you have all brought just refocused on the scholarly side. >>

Crypto, from what I gather from your sig line, you seem to enjoy collecting Trade dollar hub type and varieties. I could probably tell you no more than 1 sentence about what you collect. I also could care less and wouldn't pay a penny for what you are spending yours on. There is no fun in that to me and it would be boring as hell. To each their own and I don't doubt you have a great collection and enjoy it. I think a modern-era collectible for pocket change, YN, beginners, and intermediates is great for this hobby. That is where I see these errors having a following with. I think widely-distributed publications are a great source to get the word out.

Your comments on this thread really are not necessary. These people are grown adults. I haven't posted too much on this thread myself, but have pretty much read all of it. There is actually more sharing of knowledge on this thread than either you care to admit or spent time reading. This has been a great thread of a group of collectors discussing what they like collecting. Have there been posts and hopes of profit on this thread. Of course, I won't deny that. I also think there is no shame in it either. Sure, I bet you do want what you collect to drop in value a bit so you can get more. But come on, aren't these FY cents already low as it is? Commerce translates to value, and indicates interest. It is cool when something you collect is worth more. I have said all along, I don't see these as a treasure trove myself. I think for the most part, costs have been low and I agree that is a good thing. Expectations could get crushed, but better for feelings than pocket books.

Lastly, your tone comes off horribly. Both in your post on the Dentuck thread and this one. It is clear to me you chimed in on the Dentuck thread because you were like oh geez, these "4" non-pure collectors have Dennis's ear for a moment......better get in my slam. Classy.

• PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>It is clear to me you chimed in on the Dentuck thread because you were like oh geez, these "4" non-pure collectors have Dennis's ear for a moment......better get in my slam. Classy. >>

It appears to be a concern, not only with Crytpo, but with all the purists. It would be sacrilege to desecrate and defile their book with such filth, they would tear the pages from it.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    They will not change so there is no use in trying to change them. These coins are the future for getting young collectors started in the art of collecting coins. They can actually get a start collecting just like the rest of us did by collecting pennies because that was what we could afford. There is no way we will get rich with these errors but the thrill of finding them is what it is all about.

Tell me how a young kid can afford to start collecting quarters or dollars to get a collection started.

By the way, I do not go on other threads and complain about what they like and would appreciate it if they would not even look at our thread and just go about doing what they like to do.
    There's really only four of us? Over a thousand postings on this thread alone....over a thousand postings on the original discovery thread...probably another couple of hundred combined on

other related threads.....man, we sure do talk a lot.....

My wife is already making plans for all the riches I'm going to enjoy off of these pennies! Vacation home in Marseille, a yacht to sail to Hawaii, private jet, matching his and hers

Rolls Royces, a top floor penthouse in Trump Towers.... We're going to have so much fun once these are included in the Redbook! Glad the four of us got in early! imageimage
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    This 1000+ reply discussion is very interesting to most of us. You do not have to be loaded down with these collectable cents to enjoy the Forum members' imput. There are so few things today to really enjoy, let's simply be friendly to each other and let those who like the coins continue with their enjoyment of the hobby. Being a beleiver of the WI D Extra Leaf quarters has caused me some personal criticism from a few quarter detractors of the Leaves from time to time over the years who couldn't wait to "rain on my parade". If anyone here thinks that a long term holder of the quarters are not in the hobby to collect and enjoy them but simply for the money, then they better think twice. Prices have come down hard which is an opportunity in my opinion. I believe that the regular contributors to this Forum thread will still enjoy their 2009 FY DDR/DDO cents regardless of the market price of these coins in months & years to come. Have a great day and remain positive in your pursuits. Mark.
    Specialized Investments
    That's right Hi-Lo....we must suffer the slings and arrows.....and continue to enjoy our little corner of the hobby. imageimage

On another note, I am opening an 006 roll tonight! Love those skeleton fingers!
    Are you going to keep us waiting all night before you let us know the results?
    Sorry PB...got distracted and never got around to roll searching tonight. It will probably have to wait now until my next day off. I'll keep you posted.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this talk of roll searching i went out and bought 25 rolls at a B/M today started looking and bang 20-DDR Thum's 14 more rolls to go. image

Hoard the keys.
    That's fantastic Type2....great find! Is this your first foray into the formative series looking for errors? Hopefully your B&M has more for you to purchase. My B&M doesn't have any plus they

kind of chuckle at me because they think they're just "stupid pennies". Have you identified the actual ddr? Maybe the Wddr-002 doubled thumb? Good luck in your future searches!

That's a great way to start! imageimage
    No when they came out i was buying up alot of box's. But i did see the rolls at the B/M about two months ago and i keept seeing the post and went back to pick them up befor the CP book came out just incase. I'm happy i did findind some good stuff but i did grib up all he had.image

Hoard the keys.
    This is what i'm finding.

Hoard the keys.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This 1000+ reply discussion is very interesting to most of us. You do not have to be loaded down with these collectable cents to enjoy the Forum members' imput. There are so few things today to really enjoy, let's simply be friendly to each other and let those who like the coins continue with their enjoyment of the hobby. Being a beleiver of the WI D Extra Leaf quarters has caused me some personal criticism from a few quarter detractors of the Leaves from time to time over the years who couldn't wait to "rain on my parade". If anyone here thinks that a long term holder of the quarters are not in the hobby to collect and enjoy them but simply for the money, then they better think twice. Prices have come down hard which is an opportunity in my opinion. I believe that the regular contributors to this Forum thread will still enjoy their 2009 FY DDR/DDO cents regardless of the market price of these coins in months & years to come. Have a great day and remain positive in your pursuits. Mark. >>

If I remember correctly Mark, there were a bunch of naysayers right here on this forum that tried to "piss in your flakes" at the time.
    I sometimes wonder how some folks whom call themselves numismatist can be so close minded, when the real nature of the hobby is discovery.
    Even if it is in an area that I don't collect, I think that all new discoveries are interesting & exciting . . .
    Being just an ignorant ol'country boy that has been excited by coin collecting for many a year, it's hard for me to fathom the hate & jealously that comes out in some folks that call themselves collectors . . .

JMO

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
    John you sure hit the nail on the head with that one.

It gives me something to do to look for these errors as I am 73 and if I have not made my fortune by now I never will so I am not in this to get rich for sure.

This is just fun for me, its the thrill of finding them, and have given many of them away to people just getting started.

<< <i>This is what i'm finding. >>

That's cool !! This is the scarcer of the two.

Good score! imageimage
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only this "thread" leads to collecting coins ( Formative Y.) but this thread is collecting a whole lot more! Interest,hope and unfortunately jealousy. Keep the dream alive! imageimage On that note; I can see this thread,the way it's been so heated and all, reaching that 2000 post plateau in less than 6 months! Like I said," Keep the dream alive!"

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    Tomorrow (Sunday) will be the next day that T.C. sells some more of his rolls of 50 DDRs #43, #25, #14 and other solid error rolls on Ebay. Interesting...
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>Tomorrow (Sunday) will be the next day that T.C. sells some more of his rolls of 50 DDRs #43, #25, #14 and other solid error rolls on Ebay. Interesting... >>

The last rolls sold for:

WDDR-014 - Bidders: 9 & Bids: 11

WDDR-025 - Bidders: 10 & Bids: 15

WDDR-043 - Bidders: 9 & Bids: 9

Not exactly a bidding war. And from the looks of it, the same 9 people bidding.

<< <i>

<< <i>Tomorrow (Sunday) will be the next day that T.C. sells some more of his rolls of 50 DDRs #43, #25, #14 and other solid error rolls on Ebay. Interesting... >>

WDDR-014 - Bidders: 9 & Bids: 11

WDDR-025 - Bidders: 10 & Bids: 15

WDDR-043 - Bidders: 9 & Bids: 9

Not exactly a bidding war. And from the looks of it, the same 9 people bidding. >>

Wait a minute.....I thought only 4 of us collected these. image
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you guys use alot of aliases.image
    Not me, I use the same name I have always used but did not bid on those auctions.

May bid tomorrow but not too high.

I prefer to trade for what I need.

It may take me longer but usually get what I need.

Anybody got some 16's or 14's they want to trade me.

There are so many of them out there but no one wants to trade any.
    Anybody wanna buy all my LP2 prime date sets?
    Nobody has that much money Papi.

<< <i>Anybody wanna buy all my LP2 prime date sets? >>

<< <i>Nobody has that much money Papi. >>

Papi probably only has about 4 or 5 unopened boxes left...can't be too expensive PB.
    "Good Sunday America". Here is a thought that came to me this morning.... It appears that a few, a very few Forum members are replying to this 2009 FY DDR thread writing comments such as: a hand full of members are promoting and pressuring Whitman Publishing to elevate these modern error coins. My Economics degree from the University of Texas Austin tells me that the tried and proven theory of "Supply and Demand" will dictate whether these coins ever become valuable among the collector community. Even KP can't determine if his NN ads will pay off or not when selling his hoard. So can we expect the few fellow Forum members who are set on denying the public from learning about these errors a chance to learn about them beyond this Forum thread to succeed ? I really hope NOT !! Let the future coin marketplace set the demand for these coins. If the "Four members hoping to get Rich" dump their masses of errors onto the market, then the coins will not amount to anything. Therefore, the want -to -be - rich folks may not live long enough to reap their fortunes. The Disenters should move on to other coins and threads that pull-their-chains and let the 2009 FY DDR/DDO coins seek their own level. Have a great day !!
    Specialized Investments

<< <i> If the "members hoping to get Rich" dump their masses of errors onto the market >>

They have already begun to do this; one in particular
    No one thinks the same as the next guy so there will always be this factor.

There have been some that have been selling these coins for years for just a little over their cost and are happy with what they make and there is nothing wrong with that.

It gets these coins distributed as is needed for them to become known and there are others who have a big supply of certain ones that do not want to wait.

The old saying about a bird in the bush.

Others want to hold for a higher price.

This is the way it will always be.

I myself just want to have a good amount of all the good ones and we shall see what happens from there.

I will buy, sell and trade along the way because I like to do it.

It is the thrill of the chase.

<< <i>No one thinks the same as the next guy so there will always be this factor. >>

I'd agree with the gentleman's Economics Degree and the tried and proven theory of "Supply and Demand".

<< <i>It gets these coins distributed as is needed for them to become known >>

Forgive me for being a literalist, but I thought it was the Red Book and CPG that's needed for them to become known.

<< <i>

<< <i>It gets these coins distributed as is needed for them to become known >>

Forgive me for being a literalist, but I thought it was the Red Book and CPG that's needed for them to become known. >>

Generally a variety has to already be well known and have a sustainable market & collector interest before it is included in the conservative Redbook.
    This seems to keep the RB years behind the real market . . . Again JMO

Inclusion in the CPG means that PCGS/NGC will start attributing these 7 . . . Right?

Edited for another question - What does it take for a variety to be included in the registries?

HH

<< <i>Generally a variety has to already be well known and have a sustainable market & collector interest before it is included in the conservative Redbook. >>

As another forum member pointed out to the Red Book publisher

<< <i>the 2008w reverse of 2007 silver eagle variety was installed in your publication with value attached within two years of its discovery. Other than reading about them

on the PCGS forum and seeing them on Ebay for sale there wasn't a long drawn out scholarly approach until the Redbook recognized them. >>

<< <i>

<< <i>Generally a variety has to already be well known and have a sustainable market & collector interest before it is included in the conservative Redbook. >>

As another forum member pointed out to the Red Book publisher

<< <i>the 2008w reverse of 2007 silver eagle variety was installed in your publication with value attached within two years of its discovery. Other than reading about them

on the PCGS forum and seeing them on Ebay for sale there wasn't a long drawn out scholarly approach until the Redbook recognized them. >>

>>

DON'T HATE ! ! !

imageimageimage

Seriously . . . Not sure why. There was a lot more "buzz" by a lot of different people about those at the time on all the major forums than there seems to be with these. Also all the major TPGs were attributing them before inclusion in the RB. Could also be that that was only one variety where there are 100+ (?) here . . . Just saying.

HH
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed Half.

Your "stellar" find of 2008 was in a different class altogether. I think I owe you a fine glass or two of the finest brew for that --

PM me, if I'm in your neighborhood someday, I'll own up to it. AK
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>Could also be that that was only one variety where there are 100+ (?) here . . . Just saying. >>

Here we go 100 blah blah blah

There's 250+ 1960 D varieties, one of the many is a DDO (DDO+RPM). 1994 DDR, artifacts of a column between the columns. . . 2006 DDO, the tiny tip of the earlobe.

Here we have 100+ 2009 P varieties 3 of which are combos (DDO+DDR). . . We could endlessly debate why one is in and one is not

There's no hate, no anger, just facts.

Why do people insert their own emotion into what they read on the screen? . . . Just saying

Once being fun, this is beginning to bore
    I was only trying to be funny with the "Don't Hate" image comment . . . No emotions - just was trying to give possible reasons & differences . . .

Of course I totally agree that the top majors of these cool varieties have a place in the RB. Afterall there are probably more cent collectors than any other series. AND these can be found in pocket change by anyone . . . And, of course being found on a one-off design really makes these special in my book. Just a matter of how to get the word out to JQP . . .
    It would really be nice if the AP picked up the story, then the MSM . . . Who knows where these could go ! ! !

Edited to add: Has anyone done a Youtube on these?

imageimage

HH
    Nonbelievers please take note.... tonight, T.C. just parted with a solid roll of BU 2009 P FY WDDR #43 cents on Ebay for $331.00. I thought that I had maybe over paid for a roll a few weeks ago. I see retirement fortunes on the horizon !! Have a great day, everyone.
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>Nonbelievers please take note.... tonight, T.C. just parted with a solid roll of BU 2009 P FY WDDR #43 cents on Ebay for $331.00. I thought that I had maybe over paid for a roll a few weeks ago. I see retirement fortunes on the horizon !! Have a great day, everyone. >>

imageimage
    ...and he just listed another 50 coin roll "opportunity" .... :0
    I am glad he traded me those 10 rolls before he started selling.
    Who's going to be the first to float a 50 coin roll of 006's out? What do you think those would go for? It would be interesting ....
    I bought a roll of 006 off a lady about 3 or 4 months ago. The price was $400.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Just a comment from a 30 year Lincoln cent collector who owns all the dates and MAJOR varieties in MS and PROOF.

I have never had an interest in collecting the MANY different minor varieties in the Lincoln cent series. In most cases I need a strong magnifyer just to identify them, so for what purpose would I want to collect them? I guess if profiting is the reason, it would make sense. But to me, completion and enjoyment of a MANAGEABLE COMPLETE set is what I've strived for. Then it's been slowly upgrading. Obviously, others have different objectives in the hobby but for me, I'm real happy with what I've done. Steveimage

<< <i>Lincoln cent collector who owns all the dates and MAJOR varieties >>

What list did you use to compile your collection?
    I am glad you have such a nice set of Lincoln's you have been collecting. I started collecting pennies when I was 6 years old and still have them at 73. I remember going down to the park after an event there and picking up all the coke bottles I could find to cash in to see what pennies I could find so I know that that was the cornerstone of my coin collecting adventures. I want the young people today to have the thrill of finding coins ( like I did) in loose change and the only way they will even know certain coins are out there is if they can read about them. I do not care for all the dots and dashes some are calling errors and do not save them when going through boxes but if some people like them then that is there choice and I wish them well but young people have the right to know what is available for them to find. If we do not identify what is available for them to find then the coin collecting hobby is just going to fade away.
    By the way I can afford to buy whatever coins I need now so greed is not a driving factor.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file