Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Papi, is there an official list of MAJOR varieties?

I also agree with the poster that any major variety must be significant enough to see without magnification (old fartz eyes excluded).
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    You referring to me Wayne?
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HA! I was referencing myself actually...I can hardly read the dates anymore without optical aid...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve
    Expert Collector >>

<< <i>a 30 year Lincoln cent collector who owns all the dates and MAJOR varieties in MS and PROOF. >>

I'll preface my remarks by saying there is no animosity toward anyone who isn't yet a true believer in these. I applaud the dedication of 30 years of searching pennies and building a great

collection. You'll find many converts on this thread and we hope you and others of a like mind will someday join us.

Do you have any of the Wddr's in the proof (S mint) formatives in your set? I think those may be fairly rare and valuable. How about your satin finish cents, any of the major varieties

found in those included in your set? If you go to Wexler's site you'll also see some, what we consider, MAJOR errors in the Lp2 mint box and made for circulation series. I'm going to

guess "no" for the simple fact that they are as yet unrecognized by PCGS. Once they are recognized (and they will be eventually) you are going to have a lot of holes in your set registry.

We "believers" are freely giving you information that might allow you to pick up some of these varieties at bargain basement prices before they do become recognized as significant errors

by the major TPG's. Take our advice, and enthusiasm, or leave it... but in the end you WILL be searching for these. One other thing. If you have ever searched Vams on Morgan Dollars

(as large a coin as those are) you would need a loupe to see some of the "errors" or die anomalies that make that particular Vam unique. Owning a loupe is just a way of seeing detail up

close and personal. It's not a negative to me that I have to use my loupe to verify the error, die stage, condition, etc. That's the FUN part!

You can see many of these formative errors with the naked eye (plus major die crack samples that are late stage errors) you just need a magnifier to see the fine details...it's really cool to

see some of these and how dramatic/different they are from one to another.

Take a walk on the wild side Steve...(you'd be at least the third Steve in the group)...you might just become a "believer"!

Good collecting to you! imageimage
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know,Steve,first of all,thanks for posting here on the most interesting thread of all! ( I'm bias ). If a loupe seems troublesome,why not get yourself an "Dinoscope"? A strong magnifier that sits on a tripod,so you won't have to bother with a loupe. When and If you would SEE what were talking about here,ex: " Skeleton Finger" you'll be amazed. How dramatic these varieties really are. To us believers,these are more than just DD's or varieties. Many of these have total different images in the fields,than the ordinarily double dies. Check it out,Steve,you'll understand what the "buzz" is all about. -joey imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

<< <i>Agree with Papi, is there an official list of MAJOR varieties?

I also agree with the poster that any major variety must be significant enough to see without magnification (old fartz eyes excluded). >>

Allegedly the crew at Cherry pickers has a list that contains the WDDR's 001, 002, 006, 016, 025, 043, and 050.

That book will be highly sought when it finally comes out.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for responding to my post. Obviously, MY definition of Major Varieties as far as the uncirculated Lincolns are concerned is what I consider Major only as there is NO official list other than maybe what PCGS and NGC have determined for their Set Registries. As far as the Lincoln Proof coins I did use their Set Registry definition to collect all the coins in PCGS holders because it was something I could afford. I would never slab all my uncirculated Lincoln cents because of the cost involved. I believe that in today's world, in order to achieve true value for a collection of valuable coins, it is necessary to have them holdered and graded by PCGS or NGC.
    Steveimage

<< <i>
    Allegedly the crew at Cherry pickers has a list that contains the WDDR's 001, 002, 006, 016, 025, 043, and 050. >>

Any surprises on this list? Any omissions that you think should definitely be added to the list? (I think there may be a few others)

I've only found five of the seven (on the above CPG list) so my search continues....imageimage
    I think the WDDR's 14 and 95 are candidates for the list.

How do you think TC will do on his roll of 43's this week? I say in the $250 range at the most.

With no free listings on ebay this week there will be a lot less listings.
    I agree about the 014 and 095's ......How about the 007 , I like the continuous Goldfinger "Bond" (ok, so it's only copper colored zinc) from binder to thumb , 032, 051, 062 perhaps?

About TC's 043 sale? I think he'll do well once again ($300+) because the precedent has been set.
    I would go along with the 51 maybe but we need to keep these down to about 10 at the most.

Seven already so that leaves 3 which we have 07,14,32,51,62,95 thought to be worthy.

Any more you guys and gals like?
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>I would go along with the 51 maybe but we need to keep these down to about 10 at the most.

Seven already so that leaves 3 which we have 07,14,32,51,62,95 thought to be worthy.

Any more you guys and gals like? >>

Isn't the 014 already in the Red Book Professional Edition?
    I don't know.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a long time believer and have a quantity of these. However, I would keep the list to 5 tops.

I have lost interest in these over the past year and don't expect much to come of them.
    If you go with 5 them my list would be 001, 006, 025, 043, and 050.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you go with 5 them my list would be 001, 006, 025, 043, and 050. >>

Sounds good to me!
    Don't give up on them Jesse, they will come around,
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Hello Believers, once our sick economy heals, these seven little darlings should be very popular. That is, if the word of their exisitence gets out to coin collectors !! Stay Positive. Mark.
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>Hello Believers, once our sick economy heals, these seven little darlings should be very popular. That is, if the word of their exisitence gets out to coin collectors !! Stay Positive. Mark. >>

As the stock market hits a record high!
    And all those people either out of work or have had to accept a low paying job just to eat.
  • I am sending out 20 tomorrow to anacs for the dollars and cents specials.

I have quite a few, is it worth cert-ing all?

<< <i>I am sending out 20 tomorrow to anacs for the dollars and cents specials.

I have quite a few, is it worth cert-ing all? >>

Only the finest.

But the ANACS web site does not, IMO, show the actual number of certified coins.

Because you get different totals when searching for the same thing in different ways, a DD is a DD, shouldn't get different numbers.
    I have had 240 graded so far.

I have not tried too hard to sell them but have sold about 75 of them so far.

I have 40 at ANACS right now and am very happy with the way they came out.

Most people right now are dealing in raw coins but for $10 a coin for grading how can you go wrong.
    I agree with Papi, just send your best coins and there are more bad coins in these varieties than good ones.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had 240 graded so far.

Most people right now are dealing in raw coins but for $10 a coin for grading how can you go wrong. >>

240? That's a massive amount! So for $10 you get them graded and attributed by ANACS by variety number?
    Yes, I do. Some of them were up to almost $12 because I sent in some small lots. You have to tell them that you have them all separated by variety. Most of my lots were either 40 or 80 coin submissions.

I just found the pops report on them.

ALL VARIETIES They are not separated by numbers

1528 total graded
    15- 68's
    400-67's
    685-66's
    355-65
    54-64's
    14-63's
    4-62's
    Some may be a little off as this report is hard to read.

Most people right now are dealing in raw coins but for $10 a coin for grading how can you go wrong. >>

$2800 is a big layout for the kind of returns I'm seeing on line; no?

Especially with the number of 67's (400+) listed on their charts.

Of course, like you said, they're not broken down by type. So, you need to grade 66 or better just to break even?
    Anacs' protective slabs @ $10 each with attribution is really a good deal. One has to be very selective of course (good eye for grading) before sending anything in but it does enhance the

overall value, especially in 67 or above on one of the top 10 errors. Imagine what PCGS or NGC will charge for that same service once they recognize their very existence. I have not yet

submitted any but I have set aside what I consider the "star" quality/high grade samples for future grading with our host. PB has been one of the people who have led the charge in getting

the word out on these and his investment in slabbing them only advances their value for all of us. Keep up the good work PB! imageimage
    I had 80 graded in the first month after these came out.

I sold 40 of them early on in the $259 to $350 range and one for $500 so I am well ahead of the game on the grading end.

It has been buying all the boxes of coins to look for errors in the past year that has cost me a lot of money but I now have a lot of the errors because of it.

I love the excitement of finding a good box with lots of errors in it so it is worth the cost to me.

I probably have lost a little money overall but have enjoyed every minute of it as I know most of you have as well.

<< <i>

$2800 is a big layout for the kind of returns I'm seeing on line; no?

Especially with the number of 67's (400+) listed on their charts.

Of course, like you said, they're not broken down by type. So, you need to grade 66 or better just to break even? >>

Of the 400 MS67's graded I have in my possession right now 85 of them plus the ones I have sold.

<< <i>Of the 400 MS67's graded I have in my possession right now 85 of them plus the ones I have sold. >>

So, 67s are not hard to come by; we should be looking for 68s?
    All I can say Pitboss, is WOW! That is a monstrously amount of slabs,for our interest of these varieties. Congrats. Like mentioned,your way ahead of the game! Good for you. How many,and what grades are the 06's? Just curious? Keep up the good work. One more thing,who are buying all your slabs? imageimage

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    Good luck in looking for 68's.

I have sent in my best coins and not come up with any yet.

These are tough coins to come up with good grades on with all the bag marks and other garbage.

On the skeleton finger I have on hand 7-65's, 6-66's, and 4-67's with 10 more at ANACS right now.

<< <i>
    So, 67s are not hard to come by; we should be looking for 68s? >>

Papi you are a gas! haha....gotta give it to ya! I'm looking for 69's and 70's myself. (wink, tongue in cheek) The way these were banged around in the hoppers and in packaging there won't

be many 68's. PB has gone through probably 1/4 million of these to come up with a handful of 67's and 68's. I think he's done a pretty good job of selecting the premium samples to slab.

I think I've only put aside 10 in my searches that I think have a chance at 68+ but I haven't done nearly the searching that others including PB have. I think (wouldn't be surprised) that I

have the smallest coin budget of anyone on these forums but having said that I still buy what I can and enjoy the hunt.
    17 Skeleys,that is nice,Esp.the 67's. Very cool! I hope I can get as lucky grading my skeleys and receive some 67's too! I'm holding out for hopefully PCGS will ever grade these gems. imageimage

• I have a few mint-wrapped rolls with DDR's on the ends.. Are they worth anything?
    It depends on what they are, if they are 001, or 006 or 043, they are valuable. Some of the others not so much.imageimage

<< <i>
    I have a few mint-wrapped rolls with DDR's on the ends.. Are they worth anything? >>

Have you identified the error on Wexler's site? Would be interesting to hear what you have.
  • Wddr-001,002,and 003. I have a few of each.
    This looks kinda cool. I'd like something like this for the 7 stages of Skeletons

<< <i>Wddr-001,002,and 003. I have a few of each. >>

That's a great start! Congrats! imageimage

That slab looks as big as an Ipad Papi!
    Never heard of them.
    I haven't either.

I just thought the multi-slab was cool. First I've seen for these.
    All one has to do is be able to see all those stages.

It should look good hanging on a wall.

<< <i>It should look good hanging on a wall. >>

Oh yeah PB...my wife would LOVE that...lol! I'd put it over the fireplace for all to see! image
    You could always put it in the closet with all the rest of your skeletons!

<< <i>All one has to do is be able to see all those stages.

It should look good hanging on a wall. >>

What you don't believe them; you gotta see it for yourself?

That's what TPG grading & attribution is for, to verify the stages. image
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You could always put it in the closet with all the rest of your skeletons! >>

Lol!

<< <i>You could always put it in the closet with all the rest of your skeletons! >>

Haha....yes! That's perfect! Well played sir!

Speaking of which, I'm opening that roll of 006's tonight...report in the morning what I found...

Edited to add:

Let some skeletons out of my closet last night...seven to be exact. Also found seven 010's and seven minor (thin) reverse die cracks (rim to top of Lincoln's head) ...

5 of the 7 006's had the obverse die crack (beginning, thinner stage, rim into jacket) All of them had heavy die trails on the reverse. Not my largest count out of one roll

but still good quality (higher ms). That's my report....now back to your regularly scheduled program. imageimage
    Does anybody notice that the majority of the "Form. Years" P mint obverse,has a die crack in Abe's forehead? I know it's not that significant,but 99% of the coins have this( 2009p ).Also,some with a slight crack going up to the rim,from his head. Just throwing this out there! imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file