Comments

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Rest in peace my friend...
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    It is really sad he couldn't last forever. He was truly awesome. Rest in Peace Abe.
  • Options
    So sad- As a long time reader of these forums I always enjoyed Bear's comments and his wit. He seemed to have a genuine love of collection and a love of life. I'm sorry I never got to meet him. RIP
    Positive BST transactions with: Patches, Greencopper, 09sVDB, Ajia, Whatsup, RpmHunter, tander123,ModCrewman,Lablade

• Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    That is sad news I enjoyed his witty postings.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goodbye Abe. You really were a joy to talk to and have on this forum. Times like this always remind me of how much of a community this forum and the hobby are.

I went back and looked to see that I had exchanged 2173 PM's with Abe since May of 2003. His first pm to me was about a bust half. I directed him a website where he could find some information on a coin that was for sale from some other dealer. His response, reading it again, made me laugh. It read:

I am somewhat of a novice on this new fangled computor

Always good for some fun, he never seemed to take life too seriously and really really really loved coins. The only thing he seemed more passionate about was his family.

Fair winds and following seas my friend...
  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    RIP Bear.

He had class. Highly respected.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

RR
    <html />
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like others mentioned, i also went and looked at the PMs I had exchanged with Abe. A class act. There is a lot to be said for a person who really channeled positive energy. I certainly learned from his example. Thanks Abe.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Haven't posted to the forum for years now... and sad to hear of Bear's passing when I decided to drop in today. He was definitely a memorable member of the forum and will obviously be greatly missed.

RIP to our beloved Bear
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    I would always check the thread if I saw he posted last.

RIP Bear.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear was a true collector and he loved his coins. I would always look forward to hearing what this wise old bear had to say about coins or whatever.

I will surely miss him in this forum image
  • Options
    A true gentleman , he will be missed
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear of Bear's passing. I always enjoyed reading his posts and sense of humor.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    A very kind and generous man. I will miss him.

Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very sad to log on tonight and see this ...

RIP Abe ... and may God be with you, your family and your friends

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    He was a welcome poster around here. We lost a good one.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    Terrible news! image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    How sad, I will miss his wit and wisdom.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Terrible news...bear was a good guy and a passionate collector and he will be missed.....RIP
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    R.I.P. Abe
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Rest in Peace Bear - I will miss your gentle wit and wisdom. I hope you were able to find Camelot again ...

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Rest in Peace Abe (Bear). You journey in this life may be over but another has just began.
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear this!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only knew "Bear" through his posts on this site, but I already miss him. I send my condolences to his family.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will be missed Bear.
  • Options
    Very sad news. Such a well liked member of this forum.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear this, the forum won't be the same without him. He had great posts and insight.

The next jelly donut is in his honor!

Prayers go out to his family

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    He was one of the old guard from here and I can't see or hear of jelly donuts without thinking of him and his playful ways back in the OF days.

RIP bear. image
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭
    My prayers and condolences to Abes Family, he will be missed.
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    I am willing to bet that Abe never had an enemy in his lifetime. Such a pleasure to know the wonderfully warm and kind Bear.
    Just read every single post, because these posts tell exactly how much Abe was repected and show great compassion for him.

RIP BEAR,

Paul
  • Options
    Didn't know him but he seemed like a true gentleman. RIP Bear.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to his family. I did not know bear, and only read his posts over the last year or so, but I found his posts to be insightful.

Tom

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    My condolences to the family...and to the board. Things won't be the same around here. "He was a wise old bear!" I won't be able to hear that saying without thinking of him!
  • Options
    WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭
    Very Sad. image I exchanged a few PMs with him and found him to be warm, engaging and candid. One exchange was about whether it would make more sense to buy ten $1000 coins instead of one $10,000 coin for investment purposes. This lead to a discussion of coin quality at that price point. Since he never hesitated to share his ideas, here is his reply for the benefit of all:

Buying expensive coins in high grade is a totally different ball game.

Often the coins look nice, but the differences between a strong for

the grade coin and a weak for the grade coin can be rather subtle

and easy to miss, even for advanced collectors. While PCGS and

CAC are not above making grading errors, I have found

expensive coins, one has to be an idiot not to buy only PCGS CAC coins

and then have the coin pass your own review. I have found that when both

PCGS and CAC are on one coin, the coin is generaly a top of the line

coin and strong for the grade. Two of my coins that CAC did not approve

I strongly disagreed with, and so the coins remain in my collection. I do

not blindly follow CAC as some have suggested. I only follow, when I concur

with the decision, abet after some deep soul searching.. Regards, Abe

• Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    That is sad news to hear. I remember Bear's posts from when I was more active on the forum years ago. Always seemed able to say more than others, with far fewer words. That is my memory of Bear.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    see you in camelot image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I didn't know Bear, but I always enjoyed reading his posts.
    I was surprised when I saw this thread. He will be missed.
    Rest in peace Bear.
  • Options
    Abe will be missed. He has left a lasting impression on many.

John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Bear,
    Your wit and wisdom will be missed by all.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bear basicly told us this was coming and included us in all of his preparations. He sounded very happy with his preparations and as ready as one can be for the end. I hope I can go as gracefully. RIP to a great man. --jerry >>

I have to agree with this. I was thinking that their was a good reason for the legacy collection and he was either setting up his family with a nice asset or he was hoping to create an interest in coins in his kids or grandkids. Or maybe his kids were already interested but he wanted to leave some nice collectibles with them. Either way, I believe there was a purpose for his legacy collection and it's just a testament of how much he cared about his family and the hobby.

I also remember bear being the voice of peace even when others were firing harsh words back and forth.

RIP ol' bear. You left a veryt nice legacy for your family.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Whomever leaves a memory , indelible, positive, and inspirational, has lived a life worth living.......these tributes written here are testament that he did live that kind of life......RIP Bear....your Legacy is secure!

I wish I had been one of the fortunate to have met you, shared the joy of collecting, and enjoyed your humorous banter and wise words in person that so many here have shared with you.....

I too believe your avatar should be retired....God bless you and your family..... I just heard a bell ring.....a Bear got his wings!
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Wow...

Just...

Wow...

I loved his posts and comments. I loved his collection. I'm just very sad I'll never get to meet him. The best to his family image
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Bear I'm really going to miss your wit and humor. This is truly a sad event for this board. Many prayers to your family. May they seek comfort in the many wonderful memories they hold. God bless and God speed old Bear.

Dan
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my condolances to his family on this great loss. he will be missed image
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will miss the Bear. He had a big dose of gentleness that we could all use more of. RIP and my sympathy to his family and many friends.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    I have always enjoyed Bear's wisdom and fair voice when he spoke in so man of these threads. I wish his family peace in his passing.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Wow.... This is very sad news. We lost a good guy.

My thoughts and prayers to his family.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    What a bummer..
    Loved our back and forths.
    RIP
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Much sadness today upo reading this............. and my condolences go out to his wife and family.

But he lives on in the fond memories of everyone who has posted to these MULTIPLE pages worth of condolences already, and the hundreds of others whose lives he touched in a positive way.

The outpouring of grief says a lot for the person he was.............. RIP, Bear!

- - Dave image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file