Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

We have lost a great member BEAR (Abe) RIP

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news he is a very wise man and A funny bear going to be missed. My prayers go out to his family and he was so happy with his new set to. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    "There once was a place called camelot"

RIP Bear

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    He will be missed image >>

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Bear was one of the Best, and will be sadly missed, my condolences to his family.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved THE man. He was a nice bear, too.
  • Options
    He will be greatly missed. image
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I never enjoyed the opportunity to meet Abe, I so enjoyed his posts and also enjoyed his collection, thanks to Steph. His post's were always a contribution to the forum and to coin collecting. They never took away from either. We have lost many forum members here and ats in the last couple of years and it greatly saddens me. I pray that Abe's family is blessed and that they are able to cope with his passing.
    God Bless US All.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    He appeared to be a man that just truly loved coins and wanted to do it with class. Something for the avg among us to strive for. Rest Well Bear
  • Options
    Bear was a person I really admired. So many times I looked forward to his comments. He truly was a wise old Bear. RIP, Bear.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers are with Mrs. Bear and family. I don't recall him ever having an unkind word for anyone; his was a voice of reason, and his gentle and goofy wit caused me to chuckle a lot.

Rest in peace, Mr. Bear
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear of Bear's passing. He was a fixture on this forum for many years. I enjoyed his good humor, and admired his good taste in his most recent acquisitions. My condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed.

God bless you, Bear. May you rest in peace.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    Very sad! RIP Bear.

There once was a place called Camelot.
  • Options

The Bear....................is gone. So sad. So very, very sad.

RIP Bear.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP, you will be missed. You were willing to give to all that asked.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Bear was always a voice, sometimes the only voice, of reason when situations here on the message boards were at their nuttiest. It didn't matter what a situation was, Bear always had a way of calming it down, providing perspective and even sympathy when it was appropriate. In like fashion, he handled his illness with dignity and an elusive grace that belied its seriousness. Nevertheless, he is gone and I miss him already. We all miss him and the thoughts we express here signal the quality of a wonderful man and an inspiring collector. It is truly the mark of a great gentleman that people here remember him so fondly and well. If I am remembered half as much, I would be grateful. Memories of him will keep him alive in our hearts, every time a jelly donut is raised in his honor. Rest in peace Abe, you are sorely missed. Sincerest condolences to his family.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bear was always a voice, sometimes the only voice, of reason when situations here on the message boards were at their nuttiest. It didn't matter what a situation was, Bear always had a way of calming it down, providing perspective and even sympathy when it was appropriate. In like fashion, he handled his illness with dignity and an elusive grace that belied its seriousness. Nevertheless, he is gone and I miss him already. We all miss him and the thoughts we express here signal the quality of a wonderful man and an inspiring collector. It is truly the mark of a great gentleman that people here remember him so fondly and well. If I am remembered half as much, I would be grateful. Memories of him will keep him alive in our hearts, every time a jelly donut is raised in his honor. Rest in peace Abe, you are sorely missed. Sincerest condolences to his family. >>

A few people faulted Bear the personality but no one ever could fault Bear the man.

May he rest in peace. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    R.I.P. Bear.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad to hear of his passing.....RIP Abe image

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
  • Options
    I posted this in the Roll Call thread.

In remembrance of "Bear"

Collectors Universe, raise forum member "Bear", please

Forum Member Bear . . .

Forum Member Bear . . .

Forum Member Bear . . .

Forum Members, there is no response from Forum Member "Bear"

Collectors Universe, from his forum family, we are thankful for his time here and the vast amount of knowledge that we gained from his posts and PM's. He will be missed. Please retire his avatar and forum name.

Matt
  • Options
    He really was a wise old bear!
    Rest In Peace, Abe, you will be missed. image

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options

RIP my friend
  • Options

It sure would be nice to see Bear's icon in a place of honor on the forum. I would love to see it when I call up the message board. It would remind me of the fond memories of his postings on this forum. Just a thought here. What say all of you members? Oh and I hope no one else will want to use this particular icon. This truly was Bear's icon.

CollectorMan

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this. RIP Bear(Abe)
  • Options
    Such very sad news, what a wonderful man. image
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed talking with him the couple of times we met for lunch in Long Beach, on the phone and through PM's. He will be sorely missed.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very sad new indeed,
    our prayers go out to his family
    May he RIP and may God be with him
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry to hear of this. Bear was a kind and knowledgeable man.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Bear. In passing, he possessed the heart and soul of this forum. Somehow though, I think he will still be checking in on us.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Rest in peace Bear! You will be missed!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a hospice nurse and I will say that I'm sure bear passed away peacefully without any pain or suffering.

Very sad to hear abt this forum member
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    This is very sad. I enjoyed Bear's posts very much and will miss them! My condolences go out to his family and friends.
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭
    Horrible news... This place will never be quite the same without him - I always enjoyed his posts, especially his serious ones. My sympathy goes out to his family and friends.
  • Options
    Rip Bear
    Your insight into collecting was extraordinary
    Your legacy collection was legendary
    As for you Abe, reading your posts while a lurker always brought a smile to my face. Your upbeat attitude can never be forgotten or replaced
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP.

The initial offering of the Bear collection by Laura in June of 2010 featured an extremely nice 1945 WLH.

I've revised the coin's description to describe this.

While I'm new to the forum, the Bear posts had a lot of content and sage advice.

RIP.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    He will be missed. We don't have enough people on here who truly enjoy their coins without worrying
    about how much money they can make.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A somber reminder that we are mere custodians of the metals discs we call a "hobby." Never having had the privilege to meet Mr. Bear in person, I will remember him as a prolific poster here in our community, ever considerate and helpful, with a natural way with words. He will be dearly missed. May he rest in peace.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news as I thought he was doing better... We've lost so many members this year image

One of his last PM's I received =

I am trying to impart as much knowledge and experience to the Forum, while there

is still time for me to do so. I know some people think that my many threads are

an ego trip, but it is just my way of giving back to the people who collect, before

my illness ends my efforts. I only hope, that my comments are of some help to

collectors to save them from some of the errors I made along the way. At least I

wish my epitaph to say, I tried to help as many as I could, for as long as I could

as well as I was able to"Be well my friend, enjoy every minute that life grants to

you. Regards, Abe
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Sad news when a respected numismatist passes. Could someone post his obit or a link to it. Thanks.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Abe/Bear rest in peace my dear friend!
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Bear. You were a wonderful person with a great heart and we will all miss you.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Rest in Peace, Bear, you are already missed.
    My prayers for Bear and his Family.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly very sad. May he rest aside an eternal pot’o honey.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i will miss his posts very much
    very sad

he can rest
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A gentleman and scholar and one who contributed to the forum..how can he not be missed.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to his family as we all consider the loss of our beloved forum member.

Let's honor him here and keep his memory alive by adopting his generosity and kindness when dealing with one another.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    While I did not know Abe, I enjoyed reading his posts. I feel a deep
    sadness today. RIP Abe.
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    God speed, Bear.

Rest in Peace.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    RIP image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss Abe and me comparing notes about what coins to buy and keep. There was not a mean bone in him.

A sweet guy and one that will be missed.

RIP Abe.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    hibernate in peace, Bear.

you

will

be

missed
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights