Home Sports Talk
Options

Penn State Scandal

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    But where the grey area does NOT exist is there was only one person who molested kids, and that was Sandusky (once he's officially found guilty). Paterno and the rest only failed to be diligent in busting this dirtbag. Yet, I'm not seeing a difference in anyone's punishment wishes. I find nothing wrong in wishing death upon Sandusky, but maybe we should limit that to him and not making Paterno die of heart failure.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I think this incident is equivalent to when a Cardinal of a major archdiocese of the Catholic church knows he has pedophile priests in some of his parishes, but looks the other way to protect the Catholic church.
    (I don't have an axe to grind with the Catholic church, I have 16 years of Catholic education and my children go to catholic grade school.)
  • Options
    cuda440cuda440 Posts: 150 ✭✭
    who's suggesting to wish Paterno die of heart failure? But the fact that he's probably being allowed to finish out the season on his terms is absolutely appalling. He should be cleaning out his office and be gone TONIGHT.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tweets are coming out stating Paterno is out and the OL coach is taking over. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Was John Amaechi in the middle of this?
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    If you read the Grand Jury report, they all need to go including Paterno.... inexcusable.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Press/Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Paterno and Spanier fired. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Paterno and Spainer fired. MJ >>

That was the right choice although it could have come quicker.
  • Options
    Link???
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    The board of trustees are speaking by phone now. Listening to it live. Video just kicked in on EPSN News. MJ

Tom Bradley interim coach.
  • Options
    I'm sad. Good man brought down.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -
  • Options
    Two good men went down tonight. Paterno and Rick Perry
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sad. Good man brought down. >>

He wasn't brought down...I think he brought himself down. His own decisions led to this. Personal responsibility.

I am not sad at tonight's announcement. I am happy that the Board of Trustees at PSU understands right from wrong.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I applaud the Board of Trustees decision! It's about time, too.

This HAD to be done for Penn State to begin to heal....but they're not done yet!

Why wasn't Mike McQueary fired? He should be gone as well. He needs to go NOW!
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    That's a bit of a surprise that Paterno wasn't allowed to finish the season...but based on the media feeding frenzy, and other factors mostly involving Penn State money considerations I'm sure, I guess they figured they had no choice.

Hope the haters are happy - I'm sure they are...and it's just a shame that the great Joe Paterno isn't younger...he could run for senator or governor of Pennsylvania and win handily.

We'll miss ya Joe very much, and I hope you don't just go away and ride off into the sunset - I have a feeling that in some way or another, we haven't heard the last from Joe Paterno, at least I hope not.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Paterno and Spainer fired. MJ >>

That was the right choice although it could have come quicker. >>

I'm sure Paterno will face civil charges from all the victims. I would say Paterno's problems are just starting. I don't see the AG pursuing perjury, obstruction of justice or violating child protective services laws (not reporting the 2002 incident to police) now that he was fired.

<<I am happy that the Board of Trustees at PSU understands right from wrong>>

Me too. MJ
  • Options
    Due Process means nothing to this country. Everyone is a judge, jury, and executioner.
  • Options
    In all fairness to the Board of Trustees, taking into account the money considerations involved which of course is the lifeblood of a big university, I don't think they felt like they had a choice. Frankly, it's been well publicized that some on that board had been trying to get rid of Paterno for a number of years, and this incident obviously tipped the scales.

As much as I love Joe Paterno, and as much as I felt he should not be fired...he is not bigger than the university, and while I would have sincerely liked to have seen him at least finish the football season, I've got no basic problem with this decision from the Board of Trustees.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    We all saw that there was an article in April about this subject but it was never talked about until recently.

Coincidence or not that it was brought to light RIGHT AFTER Paterno becomes the NCAA Football Coach with the most wins???????????
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Due Process means nothing to this country. Everyone is a judge, jury, and executioner. >>

What due process do you feel was needed? The Trustees had the facts and made a choice, end of story. You do not need to be convicted of a crime to be terminated.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Due Process means nothing to this country. Everyone is a judge, jury, and executioner. >>

What due process do you feel was needed? The Trustees had the facts and made a choice, end of story. You do not need to be convicted of a crime to be terminated. >>

Typically people in this position are suspended with or without pay until the investigation process is over.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What due process do you feel was needed? The Trustees had the facts and made a choice, end of story. You do not need to be convicted of a crime to be terminated. >>

Typically people in this position are suspended with or without pay until the investigation process is over. >>

Jeff - You're right, but in the end game, it's mostly about the money to the Board of Trustees...I would presume the Penn State lawyers probably advised them it was better to fire Paterno, and also I'm sure they felt that donations or other revenue could be hindered keeping Paterno around. They may have been wrong in that assessment...I'm just saying I believe that's what they were probably thinking...and again, I'm not going to knock them for the decision.
  • Options
    When I try to imagine a football game going on this Saturday in Penn State, I just don't see it. What do you think is gonna happen if the game does go on? Will anyone be in the stands? Will everyone be wearing black instead of white? Will any players choose not to play? Sucks...
  • Options
    Steve ... I agree that it had to do with money. IF they kept him around until the end of the year and IF it came out that Paterno knew more than we are currently told he knows ... BIG MONEY LOSS for the school.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I just heard they called him on the phone and fired him. 40 damn years of service and you call the man?

Grow some balls Penn State !
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options

<< <i>I just heard they called him on the phone and fired him. 40 damn years of service and you call the man?

Grow some balls Penn State ! >>

Maybe Joe Pa should have had the balls to call the police in 2002. MJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just heard they called him on the phone and fired him. 40 damn years of service and you call the man?

Maybe Joe Pa should have had the balls to call the police in 2002. MJ >>

I agree, but come on, a phone call. That really is low
  • Options
    Agree ... one SHOULD have made the call ... the other should NOT have made the call. 0 for 2 Penn State.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe Joe Pa should have had the balls to call the police in 2002. MJ >>

I agree, but come on, a phone call. That really is low >>

I hear you. The vice chair of the board of trustees (president of US Steel) was asked that very question by a reporter. A- “We were unable to find a way to do that in person without causing further distraction". It looked like they just finished their meeting and then held a news conference. I guess they wanted their decision out in the open before it could be leaked. Actually, I was tweeted that Joe was fired before it hit the newswires so there ya go. MJ
  • Options
    Of lesser importance I'm guessing that the Big Ten Stagg-Paterno Championship trophy will be renamed? MJ
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sad. Good man brought down. >>

He wasn't brought down...I think he brought himself down. His own decisions led to this. Personal responsibility.

I am not sad at tonight's announcement. I am happy that the Board of Trustees at PSU understands right from wrong.

+1 and I never agree with mcadams on anything, lol..

He knew that minors were being abused and did not report what was happening to the police. I think it's ridiculous to suggest that a "good man" was brought down. If you were a father of a young boy being sexually abused, how would you feel if you knew an authority figure was aware of what was going on, but did not report it to the authorities? And I don't mean just the AD of the university. Those boys are ruined emotionally for life.

His conduct was disgraceful and he deserves to be disgraced and fired. The trustees did the right thing.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Not defending Penn St, but as a Penn St football supporter it's really sad to see it all end like this.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    FYI, I am told that he sobbed & begged all day to finish the year. The Board insisted he resign & gave him all day to do so. When he did not, they fired him.

He tried to dictate the terms through the media today, so I don't care if it was a phone call. He had all day. They could've sent a text message or posted on Twitter, bfd.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Steve, I know you are really becoming politically fervent these days, but bringing up Obama and politics every chance you get is a quick way to get bammed. Just a heads up..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>When I try to imagine a football game going on this Saturday in Penn State, I just don't see it. What do you think is gonna happen if the game does go on? Will anyone be in the stands? Will everyone be wearing black instead of white? Will any players choose not to play? Sucks... >>

The university will go on, the game will go on, all players will play, the stands will be full as usual, and the crowd will be loud rooting for Penn State to win especially since we are having a pretty decent season...

...life will go on....including for the abused kids.

Let's face the facts...six million Jews were exterminated in WW2 concentration camps as well as too many others including children...there were some child survivors of those concentration camps and as terrible as is what happened at Penn State, the horror these children in the concentration camps faced every second of every day, was so extreme and severe, I can't even imagine the feelings and emotions they experienced...and they went on with their lives...

...and hopefully we never forget them and the children abused at Penn State...or whenever children are abused and exploited.
  • Options
    Steve, no offense, but your analogies are really becoming ludicrous...

Using the Holocaust to somehow minimize the emotional toll of being sexually abused? Really?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>When I try to imagine a football game going on this Saturday in Penn State, I just don't see it. What do you think is gonna happen if the game does go on? Will anyone be in the stands? Will everyone be wearing black instead of white? Will any players choose not to play? Sucks... >>

The university will go on, the game will go on, all players will play, the stands will be full as usual, and the crowd will be loud rooting for Penn State to win especially since we are having a pretty decent season...

...life will go on....including for the abused kids.

Let's face the facts...six million Jews were exterminated in WW2 concentration camps as well as too many others including children...there were some child survivors of those concentration camps and as terrible as is what happened at Penn State, the horror these children in the concentration camps faced every second of every day, was so extreme and severe, I can't even imagine the feelings and emotions they experienced...and they went on with their lives...

...and hopefully we never forget them and the children abused at Penn State...or whenever children are abused and exploited. >>

Just another post that proves my point.
  • Options
    They are starting to riot on campuss. Just flipped a news van
  • Options

<< <i>Steve, I know you are really becoming politically fervent these days, but bringing up Obama and politics every chance you get is a quick way to get bammed. Just a heads up.. >>

Tim - I just felt that this situation with Paterno couldn't be properly evaluated unless looking at the left wing liberal media as well, and the way that they operate to influence people to promote their agenda...in which I have no dount they are quietly celebrating amongst themselves tonight for helping to take down Joe Paterno.

But your advice is appreciated and I will heed it as best I can. Thanks.

Besides, that will give me more time and energy to bash your Mets next season. image
  • Options
    I know you are passionate about Penn State and all things PA, but Paterno has no one to blame for his demise but himself. Those kids had their innocence stolen from them, and are likely scarred for life because of it. There are consequences for actions and inactions, and Joe made the wrong choice, both morally and professionally, when he choose not to handle the matter with the seriousness it deserved.

• Options
    Paterno had to go.

He tells the football team give 110% every play! 110% every practice.

Then it is acceptable to do the bare minimum required when a child gets raped.

According to the Feds he did not even do what is required by Federal Law either.
  • Options
    It's sort of surreal watching the PSU students rallying and mini rioting in the streets tonight willy nilly and it brings back memories. I was at the inaugural PSU-Michigan game in 1993 where Michigan won 21-13. I sat with ex Michigan QB John Wangler. We were sitting on the goal line where Michigan held PSU 4 times from the one. PSU ran two Kerry Collins sneaks and two K'jana Carter line plunges. The crowd was livid with the play calling and upset that they actually lost to a Big Ten team. Upon leaving the stadium there were already several cardboard life sized life like Joe Pa's hung in effigy from the trees. We looked at each other and said wow. Just wow. The irony.

I was also fortunate enough to witness the 1997 game at Beaver Stadium Number 1 vs Number 2. Michigan won 35-8 and we were grateful to sit at mid field surrounded by PSU alumni. Most left by halftime. Ah, the good ole daysimage

State College is a very cool place take in the college football experience. Awesome actually. It's going to take along time for this current crisis to pass. I do feel for the students and alumni. It would be devastating for me if this was my school. Jo Pa's legacy is forever tainted.

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>Steve, no offense, but your analogies are really becoming ludicrous...

Using the Holocaust to somehow minimize the emotional toll of being sexually abused? Really? >>

Yeah I was tongue in cheek saying he would accuse Jew, Mexicans, aliens or someone...then he pulls out the Japanese and pearl harbor then the Holocaust.

Steve is a joke.
  • Options
    ESPN is covering PSU live right now and its not good.
  • Options

<< <i>I know you are passionate about Penn State and all things PA, but Paterno has no one to blame for his demise but himself. Those kids had their innocence stolen from them, and are likely scarred for life because of it. There are consequences for actions and inactions, and Joe made the wrong choice, both morally and professionally, when he choose not to handle the matter with the seriousness it deserved. >>

Tim - You know I respect your opinion and viewpoints - I'll leave it at that. You were a bit late getting involved in the thread, and i'm exhausted from discussing it here, and especially elsewhere including many private emails. This has not been a fun past few days for me and my lifelong fraternity friends at Penn State. I've voiced my opinions and viewpoints about the subject, and I'm going to leave it at that for now. Paterno is gone and it's over in that regard. Hopefully the truth will all come out in the wash.
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Hopefully the truth will all come out in the wash.

The truth has come out.

Penn State's coach and administration turned a blind eye toward a child molester. Period.

Sad but true.

Robert

• Options
    What Robert said....no conspiracy theories here, just the sad and offensive facts..

• Options
    Looks like everyone talking about other cover ups. Local police covering up football student crimes in town..EVERYTHING went through Paterno

wow Penn state going to get the death penalty for sure.

SMU going to have some company as the most disgraceful programs ever.

Oh and now they rioting! Such a respectful student body and alumni.
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Where is the outrage by the "students" for the fact that their so called leaders helped to allow a man to molest at least 9 innocent children?

It is unbelievable to me the reaction by these idiots!

Robert