Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭
    There is a two week window before shipping, the mint under pressure. could reduce the household limit. I hope they don't, but it would get more sets into collectors hands.
    Remember the complaining about the ATB Bullion sets. With enough pressure, the mint will respond. However, do they have the time and will shipping costs increase for them if they do since more sets will be shipped. Most are probably 5 per box. Household limits have been changed in the past with fast sellouts.

• << <i>I hope the mint, the flippers and everyone involved in whole fiasco dies in a fire. image

-Keith >>

You angry, bro?

• << <i>There is a two week window before shipping, the mint under pressure. could reduce the household limit. I hope they don't, but it would get more sets into collectors hands.
    Remember the complaining about the ATB Bullion sets. With enough pressure, the mint will respond. However, do they have the time and will shipping costs increase for them if they do since more sets will be shipped. Most are probably 5 per box. Household limits have been changed in the past with fast sellouts. >>

Won't be much outcry. They have changed the household limits before after they went on sale? I have never seen it. But I'm new to this game in the last few years.
  • Talking about the rarity of the 1995 - W proof Silver Eagle, this is a proof and the 2008 - W reverse of 2007 is an error coin. I am thinking that these are two different collectables and the 2011 - S even thought it has a mintage of 100,000 it still is in a class of its own and would have to be compared to the uncirculated Silver Eagles. What is the lowest mintage of these? 300 some thousand in 1996?
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 95W is the lowest minted Eagle, with a mintage of 30,125 pieces.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont believe the Mint could lower the number of pieces in each "order" per household after they already were sold. Of course, we are talking about the US Mint here.
    On second thought, maybe they will cancel all orders and just call a "do-over."
    Anybody up for another day like yesterday?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• The 95W is the lowest minted Eagle, with a mintage of 30,125 pieces.

You are right, It is the lowest minted silver eagle. However it is a proof, not everybody collects proofs. The 2008 - W rev. of 07 is an error coin, not everybody collects error coins. The 2011 - S Uncirculated Silver Eagle has the same finish as the bullion coins and of this group it is far and away the rarest. I'm just saying.
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    It sure would be nice to know what order number prompted the waiting list notice.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got back from the refinery yesterday late afternoon at 4:30 PM. I logged into the mint website and put in an order for five sets. It was "BACKORDERED" immediately. Not sure if I got in on this one, but time will tell.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It sure would be nice to know what order number prompted the waiting list notice. >>

Mint customer service would not tell me when I inquired. They did say the waiting list began at about 5 PM EST.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

<< <i>I got back from the refinery last night at 4:30 PM. I logged into the mint website and put in an order for five sets. It was "BACKORDERED" immediately. Not sure if I got in on this one, but time will tell. >>

All orders currently showing backordered.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

<< <i>

<< <i>It sure would be nice to know what order number prompted the waiting list notice. >>

Mint customer service would not tell me when I inquired. They did say the waiting list began at about 5 PM EST. >>

So between your info and the Coinupdate article we know that approx. around 4:30- 5:00 pm EDT the waiting list was engaged. One of my orders was @ 3:58 pm and the other 4:49 pm. It's a toss-up whether I'll get that 2nd order, I just have to wait and see.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I happened to be on the MInt's website at 4:40 & the waiting list was already up at that time. I believe cw 4:30 time is more accurate than PBGC's quote of 5PM
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>It will be interesting to see what the single set boxes will sell for on the secondary market. I think those will sell at a greater premium to the multiple sets in one box. My best guess is that the 5 set boxes will sell at a lower premium than single or double boxes. There are probably more people willing to pay more for a single set than shelling out over $2K on 5 sets. The winners on the aftermarket could very well be the single set boxes since more people ordered the max at once as opposed to doing separate orders for singles. >>

I think the winners will be those who submit their sets for grading and can assemble a perfect 70 set. image

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mint customer service would not tell me when I inquired. They did say the waiting list began at about 5 PM EST. >>

So between your info and the Coinupdate article we know that approx. around 4:30- 5:00 pm EDT the waiting list was engaged. One of my orders was @ 3:58 pm and the other 4:49 pm. It's a toss-up whether I'll get that 2nd order, I just have to wait and see. >>

Keep in mind that not all sales will go through. Some credit card problems will free up sets for those at the top of the waiting list and possibly all remaining orders over the limit will be eliminated. OPA's 'prior to 4:40' is what I would go with.

• I would like to know what kind of label they will put on this set. There are so many PCGS/NGC graded ASE's already out there in collector hands that say "25th Anniversary"....it WILL be a confusing issue

<< <i>I would like to know what kind of label they will put on this set. There are so many PCGS/NGC graded ASE's already out there in collector hands that say "25th Anniversary"....it WILL be a confusing issue >>

NGC

Can't find an announcement from PCGS as of yet.

• 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woohoo made it to calif and have one question I ended up getting 3 sets all on one order, do you think if I call the mint this morning that they can turn that into three sperate orders or am I getting a box with 3? Wonder if any of the dealers will buy a box of three do not want to take a chance on ebay with 3 sets. My brother got a single set as did 2 other friends and none of them sound like they really want them so maybe I just keep there 3 single sets and sell my set of 3. Without chrome yesterday i would not have gotten thru. Have a great day all its suppose to be sunny and 80's Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 5 sets in my basket several times and kept timing out or hanging up, so gave up around 3:30PM and went outside to work while my machine was still trying to execute the next step.

I came back in around 5:30PM and the 5 sets were sitting there ready to order, so I hit the order button and it went right through. I don't know how long it had been sitting there with 5 sets in my basket, but I'm doubtful that I'll get my order because the order hadn't been placed until later.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • A review of yesterday's ASE sale.

Text
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So for anyone who wants to know around when the waiting list started, my order was in the shopping cart and waiting to finish while the wait list notice was posted (I know because I was watching in a split screen window).

My order went in right around 4:30 ET and was 38374***
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    When I called the mint yesterday they said the only way to change an existing order would be to have it canceled, changed to separate single orders but goes to the bottom of the waiting list.
    I was told there s no other way.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>I had 5 sets in my basket several times and kept timing out or hanging up, so gave up around 3:30PM and went outside to work while my machine was still trying to execute the next step.

I came back in around 5:30PM and the 5 sets were sitting there ready to order, so I hit the order button and it went right through. I don't know how long it had been sitting there with 5 sets in my basket, but I'm doubtful that I'll get my order because the order hadn't been placed until later. >>

Read the comments section of this article:

Read Comments

There was nothing "hit or miss" about getting through yesterday. Computer savvy buyers used techniques to navigate the chaos.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
    I actually asked them (on the phone while ordering) to split my order for 5 into two separate boxes of 2 and 3 each with me paying for the extra shipping...but this seemed to cause massive confusion on the other end as the nice lady seemed to start getting flustered/confused, which then started to get me nervous as time kept ticking away.

So I asked her to just ship me all 5 in one box.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'm curious as to the claim of the mint reducing limits in the past. I don't recall that "ever" happening. I've got no fight in the game, but ask in the interest of having accurate information. Can some old timers chime in, specifically prior to 2006.
    Maybe special sets like this should be sold through the mail exclusively (no online sales), first in-first out. Just saying.

But anyhow, at least if you kept at it, you had a fair chance of getting at least one order in. Compare that to what would have happened if the Mint's private authroized dealers had handled this sale: none of us would have gotten anything...and everything would have been shipped off to the TPGs!!!
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So for anyone who wants to know around when the waiting list started, my order was in the shopping cart and waiting to finish while the wait list notice was posted (I know because I was watching in a split screen window).

My order went in right around 4:30 ET and was 38374*** >>

Another order went through @4:42 ET was also 38374***
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess i will leave the order at 3 than no upsetting the mint. I would think each set is sealed in its own box than all five put in a big box? But maybe there just going to throw them all in there boxs in one big box. Oh well just have to let it ride and see about selling those 3 sealed sets as one. I just wanted to get one set graded so now have to hope one of my buddies really doesn't want them Enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
    <<I'm curious as to the claim of the mint reducing limits in the past. I don't recall that "ever" happening. I've got no fight in the game, but ask in the interest of having accurate information. Can some old timers chime in, specifically prior to 2006. >>

My feeble mind is remembering that one of the Buffalo coins might have been retroactively reduced.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe special sets like this should be sold through the mail exclusively (no online sales), first in-first out. Just saying. >>

Why? Is the Mint going to make allowances for people on the West Coast compared to the East Coast? Will the West Coast people get their order forms 10 days ahead of the East Coast people? The internet evens the playing field. Just saying!

<< <i>There was nothing "hit or miss" about getting through yesterday. Computer savvy buyers used techniques to navigate the chaos. >>

The only advantage a computer savy buyer had was his ability to send pages more rapidly to try to find an opening on the mint server. I used multiple open browser windows to finally get one through.

So opening multiple browsers at the same time didn't slow down your computer or connection? I'm really trying to understand how some were able to place multiple orders in a narrow window with relative ease.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I had 2 computers going for 4 hours and was never able to get past the 3rd checkout point and went to the phone and was able to get 5 sets

ordered for me and 5 sets ordered for my son who could not take the time away from work to do it. He just gave me all the info I needed

including his credit card. I got through twice on the phone in a matter of minutes each time.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's more randomness then anything. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I did get through on the phone after 2 hours but when I did I only ordered my sets. I still had to order sets for my
    son-in-law. I didn't realize I could order for someone else on the phone. image

I did finally got through on the computer but it took 4 hours to do it. It was around 4:00.

~ Vince Lombardi
    <<So opening multiple browsers at the same time didn't slow down your computer or connection? I'm really trying to understand how some were able to place multiple orders in a narrow window with relative ease. >>

I think it was largely random or dumb luck...or whatever, my first order was by phone 10 minutes in at 12:10, while my second order got thruogh nearly 4 hours later...and it wasn't from lack of dedicated effort on my part during the entire period.

• << <i>So for anyone who wants to know around when the waiting list started, my order was in the shopping cart and waiting to finish while the wait list notice was posted (I know because I was watching in a split screen window).

My last order of 1 set, my vote goes for 4:40PM. image

Order number: 38372xxx

Order Date: 10/27/2011 at 04:32 PM

<<I did get through on the phone after 2 hours but when I did I only ordered my sets. I still had to order sets for my
    son-in-law. I didn't realize I could order for someone else on the phone. >>

Actually, I'd be very surprised if they would allow you to order for multiple parties during the same call...unless it was only up to the 5 set limit being shipped to different destinations.

If multiple orders during the same call is/was allowed, I'd have called co-workers into my office, handed them the phone, and had them order sets too! Now that WOULD have been unfair.

<< <i><<So opening multiple browsers at the same time didn't slow down your computer or connection? I'm really trying to understand how some were able to place multiple orders in a narrow window with relative ease. >>

I think it was largely random or dumb luck...or whatever, my first order was by phone 10 minutes in at 12:10, while my second order got thruogh nearly 4 hours later...and it wasn't from lack of dedicated effort on my part during the entire period. >>

Combination of perserverance and dumb luck. Totally random luck in finding an opening on their server.

• CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There was nothing "hit or miss" about getting through yesterday. Computer savvy buyers used techniques to navigate the chaos. >>

The only advantage a computer savy buyer had was his ability to send pages more rapidly to try to find an opening on the mint server. I used multiple open browser windows to finally get one through. >>

I used Opera as it seemed to "think" longer than either Firefox or Explorer before timing out. I got through without much problem as I just let it sit and resisted the urge to continually reload the page.
    I also logged into the site, selected priority as my default shipping method and enabled quick checkout about twenty minutes before they went on sale.

<< <i>So for anyone who wants to know around when the waiting list started, my order was in the shopping cart and waiting to finish while the wait list notice was posted (I know because I was watching in a split screen window).

What's more interesting is how long after your order # comes up do you get the conf. e-mail. my 2nd order e-mail was @ 1:49 p.m. PDT. and the order # 38375xxx. It's possible because of the problems that e-mails were significantly lagging behind the actual order.

• << <i><<I did get through on the phone after 2 hours but when I did I only ordered my sets. I still had to order sets for my
    son-in-law. I didn't realize I could order for someone else on the phone. >>

Actually, I'd be very surprised if they would allow you to order for multiple parties during the same call...unless it was only up to the 5 set limit being shipped to different destinations.

If multiple orders during the same call is/was allowed, I'd have called co-workers into my office, handed them the phone, and had them order sets too! Now that WOULD have been unfair. >>

Wouldn't be surprised if that happened. People were coming up with all kinds of crazy schemes to get sets to sell. I got my 5, I only want 2. Sure hope it doesn't backfire on me as I intend to wait until they go even higher to sell the rest!
    <<It's possible because of the problems that e-mails were significantly lagging behind the actual order. >>

Once again, totally random...I was actually still on the phone with a nice lady in the ordering department and received the e-mail while still talking to her!
    As problematic as this process was...I dare anyone to say that the handling of the ATB pucks by the many/most of the private contractors was actually better...in any regard.

This time around, at least you knew that 80,000 sets weren't being shuffled out the back door onto a truck while you waited out in front!

<< <i><<It's possible because of the problems that e-mails were significantly lagging behind the actual order. >> >>

Time on your email is irrelevant, they are known to sometimes lag the actual purchase. The time of purchase shown on your "Track Order" transaction is the time of the sale.

• << <i>As problematic as this process was...I dare anyone to say that the handling of the ATB pucks by the many/most of the private contractors was actually better...in any regard.

This time around, at least you knew that 80,000 sets weren't being shuffled out the back door onto a truck while you waited out in front! >>

And lets hope these fare better than ATB's...
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As problematic as this process was...I dare anyone to say that the handling of the ATB pucks by the many/most of the private contractors was actually better...in any regard.

This time around, at least you knew that 80,000 sets weren't being shuffled out the back door onto a truck while you waited out in front! >>

As much as I hated the way Apmex shipped the ATB sets, they did do a good job selling them. IIRC, they did a lottery using the "alert me" email addresses. They had many more alert me requests than sets. Too bad the mint didn't do something like that.

• Guess it's perspective, but I hated the way Apmex did it. I had an alert, but they gave priority to $ customers and I only got a set (B box) when the elite had decided. Maybe the Mint should do that. Sell preferentially to long time customers who have actually bought from them in the past, not new flippers pulling in their cousins, employees, neighbors, etc. to help them make a buck.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess it's perspective, but I hated the way Apmex did it. I had an alert, but they gave priority to $ customers and I only got a set (B box) when the elite had decided. Maybe the Mint should do that. Sell preferentially to long time customers who have actually bought from them in the past, not new flippers pulling in their cousins, employees, neighbors, etc. to help them make a buck. >>

Sorry M, I disagree. I never bought anything before the ATB set I got from Apmex.

Anyway, my point was, a random lottery selection by the mint would have been most fair. And to your point, it would have to be truly random selection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file