Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indiananationals...

Did you re-fax your info to MTB today...or was this a couple of days ago?

I ask because I faxed on Monday...and Tuesday and still have heard nothing.

And I'd love nothing more than to go ape on them again!
  • Spoke with a girl named Shelly at the US Mint- Customer Service. I'm not sure if she knew what she was talking about but I figured I would pass on the information she provided:
    US Mint won't be selling the 2010 5oz ATB coins until March.
    I asked, why are these coins already on HSN? She said HSN has a contract with the mint and they get their coins first.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    efreeman, image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    so, does that mean some of the coins being sold by dealers are the numismatic version they got from the mint?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
    <<I asked, why are these coins already on HSN? She said HSN has a contract with the mint and they get their coins first. >>

OK...but wait...unless I got hit in the head by a brick or something...HSN is NOT selling the numismatic version, correct? So far, everyone's dealing in the "bullion" product, right?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so, does that mean some of the coins being sold by dealers are the numismatic version they got from the mint? >>

the mint will sell the numismatic version online.

they are not for sale yet.

the answer is no.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>Spoke with a girl named Shelly at the US Mint- Customer Service. I'm not sure if she knew what she was talking about but I figured I would pass on the information she provided:
    US Mint won't be selling the 2010 5oz ATB coins until March.
    I asked, why are these coins already on HSN? She said HSN has a contract with the mint and they get their coins first. >>

That 800 number is to a government contractor. They do order fulfillment for the mint. They generally don't know much of anything, and for bullion sales like these are, they know nothing.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>

<< <i>That 800 number is to a government contractor. They do order fulfillment for the mint. They generally don't know much of anything, and for bullion sales like these are, they know nothing. >>

That's what I figured, I got that feeling when I called.
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

I'm sure Prudentials phone mail is full of disgrunted nasty messages and their people have been b** at repeatedly. Eventually, they have to say screw this, they don't deserve to be treated like that.

Turns out the regular people are becoming as nasty and gready as the dealers. Demanding they get theirs.

This has turned into an ugly mob seen and even if an AP was going to try to do the right thing, they'll get crushed. I really don't blame them for looking at other ways to get rid of these instead of having to deal with public.

• Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure Prudentials phone mail is full of disgrunted nasty messages and their people have been b** at repeatedly. Eventually, they have to say screw this, they don't deserve to be treated like that.

Turns out the regular people are becoming as nasty and gready as the dealers. Demanding they get theirs.

This has turned into an ugly mob seen and even if an AP was going to try to do the right thing, they'll get crushed. I really don't blame them for looking at other ways to get rid of these instead of having to deal with public. >>

The problem with us keeping defending the AP's archaic handling of the selling of these items is that they knew they would be popular after the APMEX presale, and they agreed to sell them when placing their order with the mint. They all brought this on themselves when agreeing to the terms and even did so knowing the no more than 10% markup. There is no reason these people can't get some kind of online presence or dedicated number set up especially since they agreed to sell these at the low price. They had to expect something like this.
    I know.

It's just really poor planning. Or, I'd think a complete lack of planning on their part.

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm sure Prudentials phone mail is full of disgrunted nasty messages and their people have been b** at repeatedly. Eventually, they have to say screw this, they don't deserve to be treated like that.

This has turned into an ugly mob seen and even if an AP was going to try to do the right thing, they'll get crushed. I really don't blame them for looking at other ways to get rid of these instead of having to deal with public. >>

The problem with us keeping defending the AP's archaic handling of the selling of these items is that they knew they would be popular after the APMEX presale, and they agreed to sell them when placing their order with the mint. They all brought this on themselves when agreeing to the terms and even did so knowing the no more than 10% markup. There is no reason these people can't get some kind of online presence or dedicated number set up especially since they agreed to sell these at the low price. They had to expect something like this. >>

Prudential DID have a dedicated number.

They could handle 100 orders a day.

People were not happy with that.

I'm not 'defending' them, I'm just saying.

<< <i>

<< <i>

The problem with us keeping defending the AP's archaic handling of the selling of these items is that they knew they would be popular after the APMEX presale, and they agreed to sell them when placing their order with the mint. They all brought this on themselves when agreeing to the terms and even did so knowing the no more than 10% markup. There is no reason these people can't get some kind of online presence or dedicated number set up especially since they agreed to sell these at the low price. They had to expect something like this. >>

I'm not 'defending' them, I'm just saying. >>

Well maybe a full time dedicated number or one with more than one person manning just that phone and doesn't leave it ringing when other people call their main number or walk in.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well maybe a full time dedicated number or one with more than one person manning just that phone and doesn't leave it ringing when other people call their main number or walk in. >>

Exactly how much capital outlay do you think these AP's should expend to get these pucks out the door? They are making $80 a set at most (unless you are violating the agreement like MTB and adding a $25 commission).

edited to move my comments past the quote marks. Thank goodness the work week is half over...

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well maybe a full time dedicated number or one with more than one person manning just that phone and doesn't leave it ringing when other people call their main number or walk in. >>

There's no evidence they kept it ringing when someone called the main number or walked in. They obviously had another person in the room.

Again, maybe, maybe, maybe. The fact is they WERE selling them and now they are NOT, because they were CRUSHED.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's very unlikely that the AP's who did not have a retail operation will continue to mess with the pucks under the current Mint restrictions in the future.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    I guess some of our frustration should be at the law itself. Why do silver bullion buyers need a fancy 3" coin if all their doing is buying silver and not doing it for the collectibility of the coin. This is obviously a numismatic collectible product, and maybe their should have been a stipulation that if the mint could not produce what was previously expected and its going to become an overnight rarity they should have handled the sales themselves. Now that I think of it, the National Park Service could have ended all of this by just expressing interest and selling them. After all of this though the original title of this thread looks very appealing, and maybe its my fault since I could have just bought them from APMEX for $1395, and would have gotten a refund anyway!
    If this was a rape case, this would be like blaming the victim (and yes, I know rape is MUCH more serious than anything discussed here)...

But I'd say we're the ones being raped here while the "poor APs" are all doing God's woork, right? Are some people actually saying this as large quantities of these tihngs are being sold out the back door?

Sometimes you just have to wake up and realize that the game is rigged, you're getting screwed and it's time to fight back...or at least call attention to the theft in progress and make things uncomfortable for the thieves!

Give me a break...we only have a single person manning a single phone...what, with a single flickering lightbulb hanging from the ceiling?!?

If these people are running such a barebones, shoestring operation, then the Mint should reconsider if they should qualify as an official outlet for their products!

And having witnessed MTP's behavior firsthand Monday, there was no rationale reaon for it except fraud.

"Can you take our completed Patriot forms" No

"Can you issue numbers for those who have been waiting 3+ hours" No

"Can you tell us why you're closing 2 hours early?" No

"Will you been selling them again in person?" No

"Why did you only sell 25 sets in 4 hours?" Everyone get out of here or I'll call the police.

To see it was NOT to believe it!
    until the mint has investigated, it's hard to tell who is honest and who is selling behind the scenes.

I've already sent the video like to the mint along with other web sites and screen shots of shopping networks items for sale.

that is concrete proof.

if someone has more concrete proof then feel free to contact me. otherwise people's frustrations with delays combined with the knowledge that there are leaks is just getting in their heads. The frustration is creating the reality instead of reality creating reality.

<< <i>If this was a rape case, this would be like blaming the victim (and yes, I know rape is MUCH more serious than anything discussed here)...

But I'd say we're the ones being raped here while the "poor APs" are all doing God's woork, right? Are some people actually saying this as large quantities of these tihngs are being sold out the back door?

Sometimes you just have to wake up and realize that the game is rigged, you're getting screwed and it's time to fight back...or at least call attention to the theft in progress and make things uncomfortable for the thieves!

Give me a break...we only have a single person manning a single phone...what, with a single flickering lightbulb hanging from the ceiling?!?

If these people are running such a barebones, shoestring operation, then the Mint should reconsider if they should qualify as an official outlet for their products! >>

To assume you are a victim is to assume you have a right to a set at the Mint issue price. If the Mint wanted to treat everyone the same, they would have melted the entire production run and been done with it.
    10 Sets from one seller - all to one buyer - in NYC

Still think MTB isn't selling multiples out the back door?
    <<To assume you are a victim is to assume you have a right to a set at the Mint issue price. If the Mint wanted to treat everyone the same, they would have melted the entire production run and been done with it. >>

Addressing your first statement...if I follow all the rules, if I get there first, and if quantity is still available, then yes, as a freakin' taxpaying US citizen (if that still means ANYTHING), then I DO have the absolute IN GOD WE TRUST right to purchase that government-produced (with my tax dollars) item at the mandated by law issue price.

And if this isn't the view that is still the law of this land, then why don't we just go back to the "good old days" of private companies not selling items or providing services to individuals of certain races, colors or social classes?
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, actually given that they had no effective way to sell the things, they should not have ordered them! This is just so basic.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>Here's another test of an AP...because now I have a Surpreme Bug Up My A** over this whole situation:

I just called Dillon Gage and said that I wanted to buy 5 1 oz 2011 gold eagles.

The salesman told me that they haven't come out yet but that he would be happy to call me when they're available.

Then I said that I wanted to buy an ATB set...[long pause]...then he said they weren't for sale yet.

So I said, but you'll be glad to call me when they're available, right?

"Ah...no. I can't do that."

Why not? [click...dialtone]

And that nicely sums up this whole rigged game. >>

You want a laugh? Look at the DG add in the current CW. It talks all about their friendly, top notch customer service. LOL
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold on now, Stop the presses!!!

Just in... I just got my MTB sales confirmation!imageimageimage

For those wanting to know, I sent my emailed documents on Monday. They are still back logged and trying to catch up. They are not expecting to ship for at least another two weeks. No rush.

OK, now you may resume AP bashing to the fullest.image

<< <i>

No, actually given that they had no effective way to sell the things, they should not have ordered them! This is just so basic. >>

No, actually they had an effective way.

• SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>10 Sets from one seller - all to one buyer - in NYC

Still think MTB isn't selling multiples out the back door? >>

2010 America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Coin 5 Pc Set

This is NOT a pre-sale... THE SETS ARE IN HAND

For Sale: The brand new, much anticipated
    2010 America the Beautiful 5 ounce silver bullion five-coin set.

Order with Confidence!
    NYC Coins has done 100+ transactions worth hundreds of thousands of dollars of
    coins/bullion on ebay over the last 8 years and we have 100% positive feedback.

Note: The sets sold in this listing - 10 Sets - were purchased from MTB in NYC on 1/3/2011 - they were not given with any capsules.
    They are in plastic protective cases which were carefully wrapped in bubble wrap.

Due to the extremely limited mintage of just 33,000 coins for each of the five designs issued for 2010,
    the coins are being viewed as collectible rarities rather than bullion products. These coins are three
    inches in diameter, 5 ounces each of .999 silver, and has edge lettering. It also features the more
    popular national parks such as the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Yellowstone.
    These are some of the reasons why there is so much interest in these coins.
    This likely will be the key date of the series.

You will receive a complete set of five coins - one each of the following designs:
    Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas
    Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
    Yosemite National Park, California
    Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
    Mount Hood National Park, Oregon

We only ship to the 48 contiguous states. No P.O. boxes.
    Shipping is Free via USPS Priority Mail with insurance. USPS will require signature upon delivery.
    Buyer can opt for faster / alternative shipping - at buyers expense.

All sales final. Ask all questions before buying.

I guess MTB is just following the Mint's Instructions. Pure BULLS*IT!!

• What about Jack Hunt Coin Broker?

The following statement is posted on their website:

***DUE TO THE EXTREME SHORTAGE OF GOLD & SILVER BULLION
    PRODUCTS, JHCB IS ONLY OFFERING BULLION PRODUCTS TO
    ITS ESTABLISHED DEALER NETWORK***

<< <i>

<< <i>10 Sets from one seller - all to one buyer - in NYC

Still think MTB isn't selling multiples out the back door? >>

2010 America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Coin 5 Pc Set

This is NOT a pre-sale... THE SETS ARE IN HAND

For Sale: The brand new, much anticipated
    2010 America the Beautiful 5 ounce silver bullion five-coin set.

Order with Confidence!
    NYC Coins has done 100+ transactions worth hundreds of thousands of dollars of
    coins/bullion on ebay over the last 8 years and we have 100% positive feedback.

Note: The sets sold in this listing - 10 Sets - were purchased from MTB in NYC on 1/3/2011 - they were not given with any capsules.
    They are in plastic protective cases which were carefully wrapped in bubble wrap.

Due to the extremely limited mintage of just 33,000 coins for each of the five designs issued for 2010,
    the coins are being viewed as collectible rarities rather than bullion products. These coins are three
    inches in diameter, 5 ounces each of .999 silver, and has edge lettering. It also features the more
    popular national parks such as the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Yellowstone.
    These are some of the reasons why there is so much interest in these coins.
    This likely will be the key date of the series.

You will receive a complete set of five coins - one each of the following designs:
    Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas
    Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
    Yosemite National Park, California
    Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
    Mount Hood National Park, Oregon

Shipping is Free via USPS Priority Mail with insurance. USPS will require signature upon delivery.
    Buyer can opt for faster / alternative shipping - at buyers expense.

All sales final. Ask all questions before buying.

I guess MTB is just following the Mint's Instructions. Pure BULLS*IT!! >>

perhaps this is one of the people that MTB was afraid was buying with ringers.... and got away with it.

I'll keep a watch and see if they have any more to sell. thanks for letting me know.

<< <i>What about Jack Hunt Coin Broker?

ITS ESTABLISHED DEALER NETWORK*** >>

This one is going to the mint ASAP

• rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    I got an idea how about we set up a date this week and make it a "Lets piss of the APs (APMEX to start) with numerous phonecalls day"

Im sure they will be pleased when they get inundated with calls.

<< <i>

<< <i>What about Jack Hunt Coin Broker?

ITS ESTABLISHED DEALER NETWORK*** >>

This one is going to the mint ASAP >>

Ooops, not it's not.

They are a dealer only site. This was known to me before the ATB fiasco started.

If they made mention of the ATB, then I'd be all over them.

========================================================================

NOTICE REGARDING AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL 5 OZ SILVER COINS

Dec 29th 2010 - JHCB Inc is not selling any 5 oz. ATB coins until we can develop a
    distribution method that complies with the US Mint's guidelines for these coins.

DO NOT CALL!!!

Absolutely No Phone Calls regarding ATB Coins will be taken at this time.

ALL FUTURE UPDATES WILL BE POSTED HERE!!!

========================================================================

don't let the paranoia get the better of your common sense.

<< <i>I got an idea how about we set up a date this week and make it a "Lets piss of the APs (APMEX to start) with numerous phonecalls day"

Im sure they will be pleased when they get inundated with calls. >>

That'd be harrassment.

No way, no how.

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    I think we are pretty much hosed on this one. The cat is out of the bag and the dominoes are falling.
    Most of the AP's have sold to their dealer friends, thumbing their noses to the mint. If the mint does audit this fiasco
    and discovers the situation, they may impose a "fine" or slap the AP hand and move on. Business as usual.
    Nothing major, IMO, will be done to correct the situation. The coins are already gone, with the exception
    of APMEX, as far as we can tell.
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675

<< <i>

<< <i>I got an idea how about we set up a date this week and make it a "Lets piss of the APs (APMEX to start) with numerous phonecalls day"

Im sure they will be pleased when they get inundated with calls. >>

That'd be harrassment.

No way, no how. >>

How can it be harassment...I just want some information image
    <<Just in... I just got my MTB sales confirmation!>>

How much did that cost you...was it cash only...or are they accepting personal checks for bribes too?

Only kidding...

<<perhaps this is one of the people that MTB was afraid was buying with ringers.... and got away with it.>>

Or more likely, perhaps (PERHAPS...HA HA HA HA HA...I've got to laugh) MTP IS THE RINGER!

• << <i>
    >>

Yep, sounds like available to everyone to me.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

<< <i>We only ship to the 48 contiguous states. No P.O. boxes.
    Buyer can opt for faster / alternative shipping - at buyers expense. >>

imageThis statement always pizzes me offimageimageimageimage

US Postal shipping to Alaska is not much more than the rest of the locations. Use a flat rate box and it is the exact same cost. If they are shipping USPS then they can easily ship to all 50 US states!!!image

While I am on this rant... UPS SUCKS!! They take a week to second day air everything and they charge outrageous pricesimage
    <<While I am on this rant... UPS SUCKS!! >>

I'm sorry, but you'll need to start a new UPS SUCKS thread...we don't want to pollute the purity of the AP's SUCK stream here...

Thank you.

And now back to our regular programming.
    top review on APMEX about the ATB:

"mark from Florida says
    Thank you APMEX...Thank you APMEX...Thank you APMEX...my first purchase from you, and wow, look at what I got. I could sell them for close to $3000.00 right now, but I love them too much to part with. Lots of people could have bought them, but they chose to cry about the high prices. Hope they never get them."

<< <i><<While I am on this rant... UPS SUCKS!! >>

I'm sorry, but you'll need to start a new UPS SUCKS thread...we don't want to pollute the purity of the AP's SUCK stream here...

Thank you.

And now back to our regular programming. >>

My apologies, I got carried away with the moment.image

• << <i>

<< <i>We only ship to the 48 contiguous states. No P.O. boxes.
    Buyer can opt for faster / alternative shipping - at buyers expense. >>

imageThis statement always pizzes me offimageimageimageimage

US Postal shipping to Alaska is not much more than the rest of the locations. Use a flat rate box and it is the exact same cost. If they are shipping USPS then they can easily ship to all 50 US states!! >>

I really have no idea why they do this. Flat rate is flat rate. Maybe they think a grizzly bear is going to eat it en route.

The mint said, make these available to the public. So far the public has amounted to a few lucky folks and lots of people who somehow have ten households.

<< <i>top review on APMEX about the ATB:

"mark from Florida says
    Thank you APMEX...Thank you APMEX...Thank you APMEX...my first purchase from you, and wow, look at what I got. I could sell them for close to $3000.00 right now, but I love them too much to part with. Lots of people could have bought them, but they chose to cry about the high prices. Hope they never get them." >>

Mark from Florida got his pucks PLUS a reimbursement check because of the cry about the high prices. I have a size 12 boot that I could force up his...

Oops, that was not nice.
    Being in Florida...I think we should check "Mark from Florida's" citizenship status...take away his coins...and send him to Cuba (or Guantanomo)...even if he's not from there!

What a major A-Hole!

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

There's no evidence they kept it ringing when someone called the main number or walked in. They obviously had another person in the room.

Again, maybe, maybe, maybe. The fact is they WERE selling them and now they are NOT, because they were CRUSHED. >>

I was very clearly told when I called the main number by the person that answered my call that he was manning the other line and that, while he was talking to me he couldn't be answering the other line. He said that the sooner I got off of the phone the sooner he could get back to the other line and better my chances of getting the pucks. He was VERY CLEAR that it was he answering the puck line.

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's very unlikely that the AP's who did not have a retail operation will continue to mess with the pucks under the current Mint restrictions in the future. >>

Unless the pucks are truly minted to demand and thus function as intended as bullion it is clear that NO APs should have any role in them whatsoever. Even The Mint should get that message loud and clear.

<< <i>I was very clearly told when I called the main number by the person that answered my call that he was manning the other line and that, while he was talking to me he couldn't be answering the other line. He said that the sooner I got off of the phone the sooner he could get back to the other line and better my chances of getting the pucks. He was VERY CLEAR that it was he answering the puck line. >>

What is the phone number and do they take CC.

Thanks.
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I get tired of people running interference for the Mint and the greedy distributor network. Don't you? >>

We'll just have to agree to disagree. >>

I agree with you, Ms. M. - totally!
  • Whoa! Unopened box of pucks just went for $3800 on the bay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file