Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to go out.

no more requests from me until later.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I just realized that there is nothing keeping the APs from opening eBay accounts and selling 1 per HH there. >>

Just as long as they have a Buy It Now of a reasonable price I would not see a problem with it. >>

Only problem is they would lose money after fees----------BigE >>

A BIN of a little over $1000 would cover the eBay and PayPal fees.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fidelitrade must be closed are they are not answering. >>

I wonder how these places are conducting routine business if none of them are answering there general number phones today?

<< <i>Just called, as soon as I mentioned the ATB, they hung up on me!image >>

They just did the same to me. Real nice.

John >>

I've gotten through 3 times and spoke with people but they insist on paperwork to be received first to set up an account, yet they won't confirm a sale to me. They said they hope to email anyone who has been sold a set by tomorrow.

Nice people but they seem like they have issues handling what should be a small series of transactions for them given what a normal day should be, I would think.
  • Hi John,

I would like a copy of the pdf form. How does one do a PM?

Thanks.

<< <i>If you DO get through, they will just tell you to send an email to info@mtbcoins.com with your name, phone number, and address requesting to buy a set. They will send you the forms to create an account. >>

Many emails to them, if you request a return receipt, you will discover are not being received by them. They may be swamped in their email capabilities.

• << <i>

<< <i>If you DO get through, they will just tell you to send an email to info@mtbcoins.com with your name, phone number, and address requesting to buy a set. They will send you the forms to create an account. >>

Many emails to them, if you request a return receipt, you will discover are not being received by them. They may be swamped in their email capabilities. >>

Doesn't a return receipt only trigger when the email is opened???

<< <i>they stopped sales because they are swamped.

the guy I talked with said it was busy all morning. >>

Did you have an account already set up with them before today?

<< <i>I have tried for three days to get a call in to Prudential during their 9:00 - 11:00 ordering window. All I get is a busy signal or the answering machine. I tried one of their other numbers and the guy assured me that they are taking orders on the designated line, but I think they just have a phone with no person on the other end - just an answering machine... >>

I've even left messages and now their message box is "full and not taking new messages," yet no one has gotten back with me.

<< <i>Mtb said they aren't selling anymore today and to call back tomorrow >>

What time was that, please?

<< <i>they stopped sales because they are swamped.

the guy I talked with said it was busy all morning. >>

Please send me the form, I'll PM you my email address. Thanks!

• << <i>I've gotten through 3 times and spoke with people but they insist on paperwork to be received first to set up an account, yet they won't confirm a sale to me. They said they hope to email anyone who has been sold a set by tomorrow.

Nice people but they seem like they have issues handling what should be a small series of transactions for them given what a normal day should be, I would think. >>

It would seem MTB could have saved themselves a lot of work by providing instructions on their website, along with a download link for the Patriot Act form. It would have saved them from getting inundated with emails and phone calls.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

<< <i>

<< <i>

Many emails to them, if you request a return receipt, you will discover are not being received by them. They may be swamped in their email capabilities. >>

Doesn't a return receipt only trigger when the email is opened??? >>

No, that would be a read receipt. A return receipt shows that it has been received by their system. I've gotten several back today saying that they were not accepted by them, meaning nothing went through. That was confirmed to me when I spoke with someone there later. I did get some faxes through though and got fax confirmation of the same.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's what happens when you are forced to deal with companies that rarely deal with purchases under $10k >>

Reality check # 2 finally sinking in?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>

<< <i>I've gotten through 3 times and spoke with people but they insist on paperwork to be received first to set up an account, yet they won't confirm a sale to me. They said they hope to email anyone who has been sold a set by tomorrow.

Nice people but they seem like they have issues handling what should be a small series of transactions for them given what a normal day should be, I would think. >>

It would seem MTB could have saved themselves a lot of work by providing instructions on their website, along with a download link for the Patriot Act form. It would have saved them from getting inundated with emails and phone calls. >>

I'll keep on saying they are nice folks to speak with on the phone but, as a MAJOR player in the commodities market, I'm amazed they appear to be having the difficulties that they have had with this. What you said makes perfect sense. Heck, they could have had that info up last week.

the fellow on the phone gave me their bank routing number, their account number etc. for paying but he couldn't/wouldn't confirm my order as yet because they are swamped. I explained that I am uncomfortable paying for something (even with paperwork submitted) unless I had an email in hand that I had been "sold" a set by them. As soon as I get that, I'll go to my bank and arrange a direct wire transfer to speed things up.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just in..........helicopters from the U.S. Mint Police Air Force have just dropped a giant containment dome over the City of Springfield, just like the one dropped over Springfield in "The Simpson Movie."

Film at eleven.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if their "Air Farce" is as effective as their "guidelines"
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

<< <i>

<< <i>Mtb said they aren't selling anymore today and to call back tomorrow >>

What time was that, please? >>

MTB starts at 9am. it's on their about us page.

I already had a funded account with them before today. It was the account I was going to use for the group buy that failed. I just over funded it and let it ride until sales started today.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I've gotten through 3 times and spoke with people but they insist on paperwork to be received first to set up an account, yet they won't confirm a sale to me. They said they hope to email anyone who has been sold a set by tomorrow.

It would seem MTB could have saved themselves a lot of work by providing instructions on their website, along with a download link for the Patriot Act form. It would have saved them from getting inundated with emails and phone calls. >>

I'll keep on saying they are nice folks to speak with on the phone but, as a MAJOR player in the commodities market, I'm amazed they appear to be having the difficulties that they have had with this. What you said makes perfect sense. Heck, they could have had that info up last week.

the fellow on the phone gave me their bank routing number, their account number etc. for paying but he couldn't/wouldn't confirm my order as yet because they are swamped. I explained that I am uncomfortable paying for something (even with paperwork submitted) unless I had an email in hand that I had been "sold" a set by them. As soon as I get that, I'll go to my bank and arrange a direct wire transfer to speed things up. >>

They move MAJOR quantities per order.

and people are crazy calling them all on the same day instead of spread out over days, weeks and months.

<< <i>

They are one AP in particular that I noticed had NOTHING on their web site about the pucks.
    just popped on for a bit before I'm off again.

I see 4 PMs waiting for me.

perhaps someone who received the forms from me could host them or forward them to someone who could host them?

The PMs will have to wait. 2pm here and I've not eaten yet (which is kind of normal).
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What word from Springpatch? >>

Woohooooo back from springfield, it wasn't as bad as i expected, looking at around 150 to 200 people met some dealers heading to the fun show. The sets were in fact 975.00 1 per household. Funny the crowd was alright as this one couple started a list to try and keep people from sneaking in line. It work mostly there were those few who got hammered for trying to sneak in while others just blended in, than around 930 someone came thru the line passing out red slips with numbers. Only 5 people were allowed inside at a time, CASH OR Bank draft check no credit cards. So while standing in line the owner and the police come up and ask if anyone here is from manpower, well about 6 or 7 people behind me appartently had been hired by someone and got caught all were kicked out of the line. Now all around me were the flippers it was totally funny was offered 2 grand for the set twice. The two dealers were by themselves, and we all got a good laugh when one guy who was clearly having people walk to his van after they came out, apparently that is agaisnt the law. So the cops went over with i think the owner and had a word with those boys..... It was cold and it was fun and now i have my one set and I"M DONE. Wish all of you who have NOT yet gotten a set alot of luck. Hopefully this week you will all beable to find them. As far as the other 2700 sets springfield didnt sell today, your guess is a good as mine where they will end up. They did do a copy of driver license...................imageimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just realized that there is nothing keeping the APs from opening eBay accounts and selling 1 per HH there. >>

Just as long as they have a Buy It Now of a reasonable price I would not see a problem with it. >>

It would have to around $930. However, there would be no way to varify that only one is sold per household so I think not.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • I'd be happy to host a copy of the MTB form if sent a copy.

<< <i>

John >>

I've gotten through 3 times and spoke with people but they insist on paperwork to be received first to set up an account, yet they won't confirm a sale to me. They said they hope to email anyone who has been sold a set by tomorrow.

I've spoken with them. They said that once they get the paperwork back via fax or email the coin is locked in for the buyer.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, Here is the MTB email I recieved. You will now know what to expect.

"The America the Beautiful 5 ounce coin set is $930.00 including shipping & handling. Before placing an order, we need to first open an account for you.

Attached to this email is one PDF file

This contains our patriot act form, please complete this and send it back along with a clear copy of a valid driver license or passport. It would be best if you can scan your ID and email it, as opposed to faxing. If you do not have scanning capabilities, please mail your patriot act form and clear photocopy of your ID to:
    Manfra, Tordella & Brookes Inc
    90 Broad Street
    New York, NY 10004

Once we have that we can open an account for you and we can proceed."

Here is a JPEG of the PDF Patriot Act Form

BTW, I have not received a response since emailing in my information.

Just waiting, I am sure they will get back to me.image
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like prices stabilizing and/or even falling on eBay. One set just closed for $2293, several others yesterday at $2500. Still a flip potential?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screw Manfra, Tordella & Brookes...they just wasted 3 hours of my time and then slammed the door in my face.

Before going down there in person, I called and was told that the ATB sales would be in cash over the counter (no internet, no telephone). Wire transfers and personal check would also work, but would need at least 2 weeks to clear before the merchandise was delivered.

So down I went...and waited...and waited...and got into their lobby where a troll finally comes out (up to that point there were no communications) to tell us that they were arbitrarily stopping sales today (they were still supposed to be opened 2 more hours), and that we should call tomorrow to place an order. When the troll was told that we all were told that there wouldn't be an phone sales...he first denied it, then said that they were now only selling to those on their customer list.

"AND THAT IF WE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS, BLAME THE MINT, BECAUSE IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT!!!"

And then he refused to even entertain selling any more to those who had wasted half their day. As far as we can tell, they sold about 25 sets OTC, tops (one person taken in at a time...about every 15 minutes)!

So as far as I'm concerned, Manfra, Tordella & Brookes is a sh*t joke of an operation that should be slammed by the Mint's Legal Department (who I'm calling right now)!

<< <i>

Woohooooo back from springfield, it wasn't as bad as i expected, looking at around 150 to 200 people met some dealers heading to the fun show. The sets were in fact 975.00 1 per household. Funny the crowd was alright as this one couple started a list to try and keep people from sneaking in line. It work mostly there were those few who got hammered for trying to sneak in while others just blended in, than around 930 someone came thru the line passing out red slips with numbers. Only 5 people were allowed inside at a time, CASH OR Bank draft check no credit cards. So while standing in line the owner and the police come up and ask if anyone here is from manpower, well about 6 or 7 people behind me appartently had been hired by someone and got caught all were kicked out of the line. Now all around me were the flippers it was totally funny was offered 2 grand for the set twice. The two dealers were by themselves, and we all got a good laugh when one guy who was clearly having people walk to his van after they came out, apparently that is agaisnt the law. So the cops went over with i think the owner and had a word with those boys..... It was cold and it was fun and now i have my one set and I"M DONE. Wish all of you who have NOT yet gotten a set alot of luck. Hopefully this week you will all beable to find them. As far as the other 2700 sets springfield didnt sell today, your guess is a good as mine where they will end up. They did do a copy of driver license...................imageimage >>

It's just nuts that they won't sell the via mail, esp. given that they are set up to do so.

Limiting them to walk-ins also does not seem in keeping with the goal of wide, hassle free distribution.
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭
    I think there will the a crush on the initial release for these AP"s. But I wonder how many people are 'in the know' about these, like the first thousand or two will sell fast, but after that, the last thousand or two may take more time. I mean are there really 3500 dedicated people who are going to buy from each AP, probably not. Plus, as mentioned, these are cash transactions, that's going to exclude a lot of people, they might have $1000 but 6,7,8 or 9 thousand is cash.

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Screw Manfra, Tordella & Brookes...they just wasted 3 hours of my time and then slammed the door in my face.

Before going down there in person, I called and was told that the ATB sales would be in cash over the counter (no internet, no telephone). Wire transfers and personal check would also work, but would need at least 2 weeks to clear before the merchandise was delivered.

So down I went...and waited...and waited...and got into their lobby where a troll finally comes out (up to that point there were no communications) to tell us that they were arbitrarily stopping sales today (they were still supposed to be opened 2 more hours), and that we should call tomorrow to place an order. When the troll was told that we all were told that there wouldn't be an phone sales...he first denied it, then said that they were now only selling to those on their customer list.

A friend of mine who works downtown just went there to try to pick one up in person. She called ahead of time. I think she waited in line about 45 minutes, and was turned away; they said they weren't taking any more orders today. They told her she could call tomorrow. I don't see how that makes any sense.
    Dan
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't we have the Republic of the Marshall Islands distribute the coins??????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>Screw Manfra, Tordella & Brookes...they just wasted 3 hours of my time and then slammed the door in my face.

"AND THAT IF WE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS, BLAME THE MINT, BECAUSE IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT!!!"

And then he refused to even entertain selling any more to those who had wasted half their day. As far as we can tell, they sold about 25 sets OTC, tops (one person taken in at a time...about every 15 minutes)!

So as far as I'm concerned, Manfra, Tordella & Brookes is a sh*t joke of an operation that should be slammed by the Mint's Legal Department (who I'm calling right now)! >>

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!

Of course, the irony of it is that they've been taking phone orders (so to speak) all day.

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    So as far as I'm concerned, Manfra, Tordella & Brookes is a sh*t joke of an operation that should be slammed by the Mint's Legal Department (who I'm calling right now)!

I doubt the Mint is going to care that much. Really, the Mint is to blame for this distribution fiasco; once they were notified of the problem, they should have treated this like collector bullion and done direct sales.

Dan

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

the fellow on the phone gave me their bank routing number, their account number etc. for paying but he couldn't/wouldn't confirm my order as yet because they are swamped. I explained that I am uncomfortable paying for something (even with paperwork submitted) unless I had an email in hand that I had been "sold" a set by them. As soon as I get that, I'll go to my bank and arrange a direct wire transfer to speed things up. >>

They move MAJOR quantities per order.

and people are crazy calling them all on the same day instead of spread out over days, weeks and months. >>

Text

....well, everyone wants one and doesn't want to be left out. I can understand that. They told me they wouldn't reveal how many sets they have but it was a very high number is about all they would suggest.

I can understand their wanting an account, paperwork, etc. However, before anyone sends them a check or bank transfer, i think it's within reason to have "something" (email or fax) from them, in hand, saying that the person in question has definitively been sold a set.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why didn't we have the Republic of the Marshall Islands distribute the coins??????

image >>

They're busy cutting new deals with the New York Collectors Mint.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Of course, the irony of it is that they've been taking phone orders (so to speak) all day.>>

But to disprove that lie, a couple of people actually CALLED FROM THE LINE and asked again...nope, cash OTC only...until they slammed the door in our face...and let me repeat this...

"TOLD US TO BLAME THE MINT BECAUSE IT WAS ALL THEIR FAULT!"

Are you listening DC? One of your blessed APs is inviting/daring the public to vent their speen at you because they're running a scumbag operation! You might want to knock them off your AP list!

<< <i>

<< <i>

John >>

I've spoken with them. They said that once they get the paperwork back via fax or email the coin is locked in for the buyer. >>

That's good to hear (locked in) but I'd like to get an email saying that before I send the bank wire. They've already given me their bank number and account number for that. All I want is hard confirmation that I've got a set sold and being held for me before I authorize the wire transfer.
  • anyone know where we send the form back to ...whats the email
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    Guys I hate to say this but this is starting to resemble too much like the movie Dinner for Schmucks. Right about now all the APs are sitting back in their plush chairs and laughing their asses off over seeing us collectors scramble and turn irate over this fiasco. Im sorry but we are being looked at like the idiots in a dinner where the idiots dont know that they are being made fun of by the dinner hosts.

We have been taken for a ride and in my opinion this has become a spectacle for the APs...entertainment of some sorts

<< <i>Guys I hate to say this but this is starting to resemble too much like the movie Dinner for Schmucks. Right about now all the APs are sitting back in their plush chairs and laughing their asses off over seeing us collectors scramble and turn irate over this fiasco. Im sorry but we are being looked at like the idiots in a dinner where the idiots dont know that they are being made fun of by the dinner hosts.

We have been taken for a ride and in my opinion this has become a spectacle for the APs...entertainment of some sorts >>

There is a degree of truth in what you say, I'm starting to think.

OTOH, the NCAA does the same thing to us, each year, when we order NCAA men's tournament tickets. All by lottery for each site, secondary lotteries for unclaimed seats within 3 months of the first and payment in full, in advance, over one year from the date of the first game tipping off.

8 seats for Verizon in DC for a regional 2 day final @ over a grand in their, not my, bank account for over a year before I see my first game. Of course it will be Duke though since that will be their likely seeding sight image

<< <i>anyone know where we send the form back to ...whats the email >>

info@mtbcoins.com

pick who you want to call "ATTN:" to from whomever you have dealt with them today when you send it.
    SO, What is the APMEX story? Has anyone contacted them today?

• << <i>We have been taken for a ride and in my opinion this has become a spectacle for the APs...entertainment of some sorts >>

Agreed. It's like 3-D TV for the APs!

If I can get a set from APMEX for the right price, I'll buy it. Jumping through a hundred flaming hoops? No thanks.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I emailed MTB and got a bounce message, not delivered for 4 hrs.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone acquired the pucks at a price lower than APMEX? They charged $859.95 + $19.95 shipping ($879.90 total). Wouldn't the other sellers be close to this price - and the ones in Springfield be less, as no shipping? I would think theirs would be $859.95...

<< <i>Has anyone acquired the pucks at a price lower than APMEX? They charged $859.95 + $19.95 shipping ($879.90 total). Wouldn't the other sellers be close to this price - and the ones in Springfield be less, as no shipping? I would think theirs would be $859.95... >>

I think I read that some of the OTC sale have to include a local sales tax.
  • JohnnyUtah, go to your profile settings and turn on Allow Private Messages.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>

Woohooooo back from springfield, it wasn't as bad as i expected, looking at around 150 to 200 people met some dealers heading to the fun show. The sets were in fact 975.00 1 per household. Funny the crowd was alright as this one couple started a list to try and keep people from sneaking in line. It work mostly there were those few who got hammered for trying to sneak in while others just blended in, than around 930 someone came thru the line passing out red slips with numbers. Only 5 people were allowed inside at a time, CASH OR Bank draft check no credit cards. So while standing in line the owner and the police come up and ask if anyone here is from manpower, well about 6 or 7 people behind me appartently had been hired by someone and got caught all were kicked out of the line. Now all around me were the flippers it was totally funny was offered 2 grand for the set twice. The two dealers were by themselves, and we all got a good laugh when one guy who was clearly having people walk to his van after they came out, apparently that is agaisnt the law. So the cops went over with i think the owner and had a word with those boys..... It was cold and it was fun and now i have my one set and I"M DONE. Wish all of you who have NOT yet gotten a set alot of luck. Hopefully this week you will all beable to find them. As far as the other 2700 sets springfield didnt sell today, your guess is a good as mine where they will end up. They did do a copy of driver license...................imageimage >>

Phone call to GoldCenter (Springfield, IL) last week informed me that they would only sell OTC (cash or cashiers check) starting Monday Jan 3 at 10am. ID needed and only one set per household.

I showed up at 4am (23 degrees outside temp) and was 60th in line. People were there from Ohio, Michigan, Tennessee, and who knows where else. Some had showed up the previous afternoon to camp out in front of the store. Owner ran them off the premises until opening time. People gathered at the Sonic across the street - Sonic made lots of money from parking and food. A few people started a list of people in order of showing up. Then we started to line up on sidewalk about 7am. "Listlady" called the names in order and we lined up in that sequence.
    Crowd was well behaved and friendly. Owner and then some Sheriff deputies showed up a couple hours later. Handed out 200 or 300 numbered tickets. The line moved very fast and without incident that I saw. Paid $975 cash at the window with my drivers license getting copied.

Kudos to owner JH!. This was actually well orgainzed with good security and crowd control.
    Much better than a black friday at best buy
    WTB: 19th Century Type - MS63 PCGS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file