Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm curious to see what a PCGS 69 will sell for. >>

In the words of Ralph Kramden - "...straight to the Moon!" >>

Or once the market settles down, maybe "pow!, right in the kisser"
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

• << <i>

<< <i>The AP's can sell one per HH, 9 AP's=9 sets, so I am planning on trying to get my two sets at Mint issue price if I can, and use the $1000 I will have left after selling my set to buy a couple of rolls of 2011 ASE's from my favorite AP! >>

One set per HH, means one set per HH. Not one set from every AP.

If they start taking names and DL's, I guess you will be SOL >>

I agree with Kimber..... The regs limit each AP to selling one per household. It was not directed at the public but was a wrist slap at the AP's. If the Mint wanted to control public limits they would have been sold from one source (ummm the Mint?)

edited for spelling
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The AP's can sell one per HH, 9 AP's=9 sets, so I am planning on trying to get my two sets at Mint issue price if I can, and use the $1000 I will have left after selling my set to buy a couple of rolls of 2011 ASE's from my favorite AP! >>

One set per HH, means one set per HH. Not one set from every AP.

If they start taking names and DL's, I guess you will be SOL >>

I agree with Kimber..... The regs limit each AP to selling one per household. It was not directed at the public but was a wrist slap at the AP's. If the Mint wanted to control public limits they would have been sold from one source (ummm the Mint?)

edited for spelling >>

Everyone talking about Mint rules and regs to the AP but I believe the one per HH rule is an arbitrary rule imposed on the AP's that has no precedent. There may be some legal violation of the agreement with the AP's on that. By breaking that rule the AP's may be challenging the Mint on the legality of that requirement. Then again, the Mint may hold the right to change rules anytime it wants.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    It's what's keeping the flippers coming back to this thread! It's full of greed! Those who have flipped for $2,897 have to have more!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>"It will be more interesting to see were this one ends...NGC 69 set."

eBay NGC 69 set >>

The last one went for around $6500

edited to add quotes >>

$5100 -- Going down!! >>

I'm curious to see what a PCGS 69 will sell for. >>

I wonder how many PCGS 69 sets there will be...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Maybe a grassroots boycott of the US Mint may be appropriate.

• << <i>I could be wrong, and I often am on legal matters, but
    I think the mint's one per HH limit is to the AP's selling, not the public buying.
    I believe the public can buy one set from each AP that is selling them, so
    an individual could wind up with 9 sets total. I don't think the mint has
    the authority to enforce who the AP's are selleing to, only that only one
    per HH is enforced from each AP. The regulations set up buy the mint are
    to the AP's, not the public. Where am I wrong in this analysis? >>

You're correct. The Mint cannot regulate how many sets each household purchase as long as each set is from a different AP, meaning each individual can end up with 9 sets in the long run. As of right now, only 1 company has shipped the coins. Several of the AP's have yet to develop a sales plan, meaning the 3,000+ allotment that they ended up with is currently not publicly available...which is further pushing the prices. It's tough to say whether it's better to "wait and see" however...who knows where the values will settle on these.
    Come see Coinzine's Coin of the Day at http://www.coinzine.net/category/coin-of-the-day/ . Coinzine's looking for contributors! Want to publish your opinions or articles? Contact us at coinzine@coinzine.net

• << <i>It's what's keeping the flippers coming back to this thread! It's full of greed! Those who have flipped for $2,897 have to have more! >>

I said upfront I wanted two sets...one to keep and one to sell...I ordered those two sets

Those intent on protecting me from myself and my plan to pay an outrageous $1395 per set have kept me from that goal.

I listened again to those more in the know than I am that the market would tank after the other 32000 hit the market

Wrong again...those sets are already hitting the market and the price is significantly higher

I still need my set to keep.....
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    in actuality

very few sets have hit the market.

200 from HSN? a couple hundred? from CV.....

nowhere near the 32,600 left (remember APMEX only sold to 380 individuals, adjusting the 1000 sets down to less than 400)

what has happened is a constriction of supply.......therefore prices have risen dramatically.

we are not wrong,

you are just impatient.

these sets will settle at around 2x issue is my guess.

• << <i> these sets will settle at around 2x issue is my guess. >>

That would be nice....

• << <i>It's what's keeping the flippers coming back to this thread! It's full of greed! Those who have flipped for $2,897 have to have more! >>

Another comment that I have to make :

This forum is a COIN forum which encompasses both collectors, dealers and occasional sellers. Just because you fit into the collector mode does not make YOU the elite of the group.

I have recently retired and, by necessity, have been slowly transitioning from a collector to a seller and I, for the life of me, can't understand why I (or anyone else) should be called out for selling one set of coins at a ridiculous price that someone was willing to pay .
    after all, they are low mintage and are silver bullion........

given silver sits in the 25-35 range, a price for raw sets in the 1800 range seems appropriate.

once the focus shifts to the numismatic version, and grading that version (will grade higher than bullion), this will be old news.
  • everybody go to hsn,,,coinvault,,,,etc ..and put as many as you can in your cart (without checking out of course) and they will show up as sold out...image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those intent on protecting me from myself and my plan to pay an outrageous $1395 per set have kept me from that goal.

The only one keeping you from your goal is you, and the blame for the price belongs to the Authorized Dealer network who are violating their agreements with the Mint in order to scam the public for triple and four times what they should be selling them for. Nobody was protecting you from anything, they were rightly protesting an illicit scheme.

You can't have your cake and eat it too by claiming that you wanted two sets, obtaining one, and then ending up with none. That's self-contradictory. Either you wanted a set to keep, or you didn't.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Well - like some other forum member said earlier - if you already got a set and flipped, why are you still lurking around this thread???? You are done, right??? 1 set per HH.

Now move on. >>

Chill, Bro. You can't tell people not to watch a train wreck!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The more pressure on The Mint legal and program director the better. They have to get on these APs to sell as directed. >>

I really don't think you can change an event that has already occurred.....the "Big Boy's" already have most of the sets. They're not coming back....

Each AP will have a token amount to release to the public but already have their audit lists filled with plenty of names and addresses >>

What The Mint can do is tell the APs that they will no longer be APs unless they start selling immediately per their agreement. >>

I would not be surprised to see Springfield place a large order for 2011 American Eagle product to cover future orders for a while and then, after taking delivery of it but before the Mint can come down on them for anything they might do with the pucks, surrendering their AP status.

Just a guess.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    IMO - the AP network may have served it's purpose back in 1986 thru the 1990's.

The USM has the means to sell their bullion on their own.

What's one more product? Im not saying that they should sell 100 thousand increments on eagles, but offer the collector ASE's by the roll and AGE's by the singles.

No need to go to an AP.

• << <i>Those intent on protecting me from myself and my plan to pay an outrageous $1395 per set have kept me from that goal.

The only one keeping you from your goal is you, and the blame for the price belongs to the Authorized Dealer network who are violating their agreements with the Mint in order to scam the public for triple and four times what they should be selling them for. Nobody was protecting you from anything, they were rightly protesting an illicit scheme.

You can't have your cake and eat it too by claiming that you wanted two sets, obtaining one, and then ending up with none. That's self-contradictory. Either you wanted a set to keep, or you didn't. >>

Ummmm...let's see..sounds like faulty logic on your part..

In review (again) I wanted 2 sets:

1 to sell....check

1 to keep...unable

It's not an exclusive event...the plan involved getting TWO sets.....

Not contradictory...that would have been correct if I got TWO sets and sold both OR kept both

Even if I kept the set I still wouldn't have the 2nd set to sell....sounds simple to me but that's just me I guess

Let's move on and see what happens tomorrow...

• Well we're down to the last few hours before the "everyman's" sale begin! image

I expect tomorrow to be kind of chaotic. It's a 3 hour drive to Springfield, IL and I'm not going but would really appreciate hearing what happens down there. Who knows? I might drive down if I can get a set tomorrow afternoon! image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys HSN has posted the video on their YouTube page...I have already posted on their page and hope others do the same

YouTube HSN page >>

contact made yet again.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Have the network news satellite trucks set up in Springfield yet???

<< <i>Well we're down to the last few hours before the "everyman's" sale begin! image

I expect tomorrow to be kind of chaotic. It's a 3 hour drive to Springfield, IL and I'm not going but would really appreciate hearing what happens down there. Who knows? I might drive down if I can get a set tomorrow afternoon! image >>

I'd do a three hour drive if it were me.

For me it's a flight and then a big drive. No thanks.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Kudos to the true collectors who will go out and stand in line in the cold weather to get a set, probably the only way to get one at an affordable price. Hope there is no trouble, lots of people standing in line with hundreds in their pockets. Is the location fairly safe, anyone know?----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    So, Apmex won't be selling them tomorrow?

• << <i>Kudos to the true collectors who will go out and stand in line in the cold weather to get a set, probably the only way to get one at an affordable price. Hope there is no trouble, lots of people standing in line with hundreds in their pockets. Is the location fairly safe, anyone know?----------BigE >>

What they do not accept credit cards? I cannot remember the last time I carried Cash.
  • The west side of Springfield where The Gold Center is located is the better part of town.

Wind chill expected to be 15-18 degrees. I will post a report tomorrow morning. My sister said she will snap some pictures if there is a line or anything.

I am expecting a non event.
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Kudos to the true collectors who will go out and stand in line in the cold weather to get a set, probably the only way to get one at an affordable price. Hope there is no trouble, lots of people standing in line with hundreds in their pockets. Is the location fairly safe, anyone know?----------BigE >>

What they do not accept credit cards? I cannot remember the last time I carried Cash. >>

When i asked MTB they are another AP... they said they do not accept credit or debit cards. Cash or bank draft/wire only.
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny

• << <i>So, Apmex won't be selling them tomorrow? >>

Don't know. They're the first one I will try tomorrow morning.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Kudos to the true collectors who will go out and stand in line in the cold weather to get a set, probably the only way to get one at an affordable price. Hope there is no trouble, lots of people standing in line with hundreds in their pockets. Is the location fairly safe, anyone know?----------BigE >>

What they do not accept credit cards? I cannot remember the last time I carried Cash. >>

When i asked MTB they are another AP... they said they do not accept credit or debit cards. Cash or bank draft/wire only. >>

Only a U.S. Govt. agency could mandate that a retail product be sold exclusively via outlets which are strictly set up for wholesale sales.....

• << <i>Wind chill expected to be 15-18 degrees. I will post a report tomorrow morning. My sister said she will snap some pictures if there is a line or anything. >>

Wind chill of 15-18 degrees? That sounds like a damn heat wave! January in Iowa can thicken your skin! image

Please post here in the morning if possible. I'm 190 miles away!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Guys HSN has posted the video on their YouTube page...I have already posted on their page and hope others do the same

YouTube HSN page >>

contact made yet again. >>

I'm under-impressed ... total of 4 complaining ... that's about the same numbers of the "forum activists" who started this whole fiasco. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Only 4 complaining "forum activists"? More power to them! Without the few complaining, "a few" greedy, gouging APs would have walked off with an easy mega-profit they didn't deserve. To those continuing to speak out, "THANK YOU" Contracts and following the law should apply to the "BIG BOYS'" just like it does to the rest of us.
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    If everybody turned a blind eye everytime someone breaks the rules... this country of ours and the Ideals it stands for will not be here today. Its certainly not aimed at impressing anybody. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If everybody turned a blind eye everytime someone breaks the rules... this country of ours and the Ideals it stands for will not be here today. Its certainly not aimed at impressing anybody. image >>

Unfortunately this is just the opposite. The AP's are following the letter of the law - not the spirit. This will lead to more laws and loopholes will be found and so on and so on. You cannot write a law for every possible scenario and no law is crystal clear. Look how many different scenarios have been thrown out on this thread to explain the sets HSN obtained? A motivated buyer and a willing seller will get around a G9 every day of the week...
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a line in the book by Camus, The Plague, "Good intentions can do as much harm as malevolence unless you have the utmost clear-sightedness".-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Maybe they're following the letter of the law but I truly doubt they are dotting all their i's and crossing all their T's. I do believe their greed will catch up with them if a full and complete audit is done. If nothing else they will at least lose the goose giving them the golden egg. To me they have truly destroyed the whole noble idea of Americas National Parks. The Parks were established so the common man could enjoy this country's beautiful places, and so they couldn't belong to simply the rich and to those that would exploit them for personal gain. I assure you if Teddy Roosevelt were around there'd be some heads rolling right about now. How ironic it all is. I for one will make my phone calls tomorrow.
  • I wonder how many tents are in the parking lot now? image

• rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    For those that are compuetr savvy you can set up a shell script that will notify your email when the ATB coins become available at APMEX. Im not sure how to do it since i had a friend add me to his alert script but it will be useful for those that do not have an alert me at APMEX that is early enough (since alerts are first in, first out)

If anyone can set up a shell script you will be ahead of the game even if your alert at APMEX does not go off due to limited alerts going out

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...other than waiting in the cold in the Gold Center's parking lot...do we expect any of the othert APs to begin selling today...like APMEX...on Monday, 1/3?
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So...other than waiting in the cold in the Gold Center's parking lot...do we expect any of the othert APs to begin selling today...like APMEX...on Monday, 1/3? >>

Maybe Provident Metals. Earlier, I was able to get to their website. Now I can't even get a connection.

AP__PROVIDENT Metals - Buy 2010 AMERICA THE BEAUTFUL 5 OUNCE COINS Online
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I called apmex...they say the same as always...."we don't have them for sale right now, just wait on the 'alert me'"
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So...other than waiting in the cold in the Gold Center's parking lot...do we expect any of the othert APs to begin selling today...like APMEX...on Monday, 1/3? >>

Maybe Provident Metals. Earlier, I was able to get to their website. Now I can't even get a connection.

AP__PROVIDENT Metals - Buy 2010 AMERICA THE BEAUTFUL 5 OUNCE COINS Online >>

they are not selling them at this time

Loves me some shiny!

• << <i>I called apmex...they say the same as always...."we don't have them for sale right now, just wait on the 'alert me'" >>

The problem with the alert me feature is that it is a first in, first out basis so if there is only 500 sets available then there will be only 500 alerts sent to the first 500 people, hence the reason why some people never got the alerts the first time around.

This is the reason why I have set up a shell script so that when the page gets updated the script automatically sends me an email stating of the changes.

• << <i>

AP__PROVIDENT Metals - Buy 2010 AMERICA THE BEAUTFUL 5 OUNCE COINS Online >>

Unfortunately, Provident isn't an AP. If they do happen to offer the Pucks, expect to pay much higher prices as they will have acquired their supply from an AP.
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<This is the reason why I have set up a shell script so that when the page gets updated the script automatically sends me an email stating of the changes. >>

Of course, this makes the assumption that APMEX will sell you a set if you're not on their alert list regardless of when you learn they're on sale...and at this point, nothing would surprise me!

• << <i><<This is the reason why I have set up a shell script so that when the page gets updated the script automatically sends me an email stating of the changes. >>

Of course, this makes the assumption that APMEX will sell you a set if you're not on their alert list regardless of when you learn they're on sale...and at this point, nothing would surprise me! >>

The alert me feature is not a reservation so anyone who happens to browse the website wether they set up the alert or not at the time of offering they will honor it. The alert me feature is just a notice that it is available
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Did the gold center gang freeze out?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
    What time do they open? 10?
  • First purchased set should be walking out the door by now.....well, maybe a couple of extra minutes to admire them
    $3300?????

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file