Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    i got a "B" box today.

H S MS68
    M H MS68DMPL
    YEL MS68DMPL
    YOS MS68DMPL
    G C MS69PL
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Good to see a lot of people here are getting B to D. I should have sold my A box on ebay as a "rare" item. image
  • Options
    Well it is as I predicted earlier about my luck. Opened the box that was marked " A" and it was even worse than I thought it would be.

GC MS68
    HS MS68
    MH BU
    Yellow MS68
    Yos 68PL

What a pile of true bullion. Could I have the worst batch yet, or has someone beat me?

Is APMEX still buying these sets back, last I checked they were offering 1,100. I will probably just wait for silver to get back above 40+ and sell them at the local B&M to avoid shipping costs and to avoid ever having to deal with APMEX again.

The good news in all of this is that I will NEVER buy anything again from APMEX and can get off their SPAM list. I was not a big customer but I WAS, WAS, WAS, WAS a customer.

The good news after looking at the pile of junk was the hot springs from the mint that I also opened tonight was very nice. A few tiny rim dings but a possible 70. Not worth slabbing it but at least it cheered me up getting one nice coin tonight!
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    My D box arrived today.
    All first strikes
    Hot Springs 69 PL
    Yellowstone 69 DMPL
    Yosemite 69 PL
    Grand Canyon 69 PL
    Mount Hood 69 DMPL

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    Sorry timber100. You got hosed but for the price it was still a decent deal.

Look at the bright side, they're all in PCGS FS Slabs! image
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry timber100. You got hosed but for the price it was still a decent deal.

Look at the bright side, they're all in PCGS FS Slabs! image >>

LOL, thats what I will tell my wife, look honey, I dont even have to pay to get them slabbed, and all FS! She will be impressed and might think the big coins are sexy image
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Received my "C" box today. Overall very pleased even with the long wait. All first strikes, I feel like I got a good value for the money. image
    Hot Springs 69
    Yellowstone 68 DMPL
    Yosemite 68 DMPL
    Grand Canyon 69 PL
    Mount Hood 69 PL
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options

<< <i>My D box arrived today.
    All first strikes
    Hot Springs 69 PL
    Yellowstone 69 DMPL
    Yosemite 69 PL
    Grand Canyon 69 PL
    Mount Hood 69 DMPL >>

That one beat me 2 DMPL`s .I just fixing to note that allDMPL`s were the Mount Hood Congrats on the Yellow stone.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    B box for me:

HS 68DMPL
    YS 68DMPL
    YO 68PL
    GC 68PL
    MH 68DMPL
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My D box arrived today.
    All first strikes
    Hot Springs 69 PL
    Yellowstone 69 DMPL
    Yosemite 69 PL
    Grand Canyon 69 PL
    Mount Hood 69 DMPL >>

That is just such an amazing score. Yellowstone 69DM! HOLY COW! Over $3K for a grand.

Edited: A quick look at completed auctions, factoring out one DMPL YS that sold low, shows the you actually got well over $4K worth of coins for a grand and no grading fees to boot. Just incredible.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Apmex order due tomorrow...I can't wait! Kind of like Christmas Eve...will it be really good or will I have to put on the fake smile?
  • Options
    Sold a raw set on FeeBay tonight. Out of habit I used the auction style format as I'm used to doing this w/the $50 Max fee. OOPS! $100. Kills me. Cheaper (yet still high) to sell w/fixed price now. It's getting to the point that it will soon not be a very viable way to sell.
  • Options

<< <i>Sold a raw set on FeeBay tonight. Out of habit I used the auction style format as I'm used to doing this w/the $50 Max fee. OOPS! $100. Kills me. Cheaper (yet still high) to sell w/fixed price now. It's getting to the point that it will soon not be a very viable way to sell. >>

Ron, try this to figure out ebay fees.
    ebay calc

The fees are getting out of hand.

Check out my earlier post from the APMEX set i opened tonight. I have been drinking and muttering to myself ever since.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. The fee thing was my fault. As soon as I saw the huge fee I remembered the posts about it a while ago. Really kills selling raw pucks.

VERY sorry to hear about your set. Good lord, and I thought that mine was bad!

Such a HUGE luck factor. I get a pretty lame set, yours is worse and then someone else gets a set worth well over $4K. That was just SUCH a score. I'd still be jumping up and down if I had received that one!
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    I'm batting .000

JH - not graded, stunk.

Apmex - BU, stunk.

Mint P - not good at all.

• Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Submitted a few coins to PCGS. Shared the submission with someone else. We cherrypicked from JH, Fidelitrade, and DG. Only submitted coins with that we thought would go 68+.

I'm pretty sure I said to not grade anything less than a 68 or 67, though I do not have the paperwork nearby. Got several nice grades (6/8 were 68+) but the real kickers were GC MS61PL....that's right folks, MS61PL (only one graded by PCGS I believe)....and a Yosemite MS62PL. I examined these coins very closely and they were all great....nice mirrors, no rim dings, a few had some minor scratches but nothing that would drive a grade that low. I did a thorough packaging job to avoid rim dings, etc.

While I am an amateur, I can tell the difference between a 61 and high grade with these ATBs. Ridiculous and quite odd there was nothing in between. Very anxious to see these coins in hand.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    B Box, All 68DMPL except for the GC which was 68PL. I'm pretty happy. It could be worse.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    First time APMEX customer so I got an A box
    MH BU
    GC 68PL
    YOS 68PL
    YEL BU
    HS MS 68

Gotta say I am not surprised at all.
    This is often the way most businesses operate, reward the repeat customers.
    That's life. I bought bullion and got graded bullion.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>First time APMEX customer so I got an A box
    MH BU
    GC 68PL
    YOS 68PL
    YEL BU
    HS MS 68

That's life. I bought bullion and got graded bullion. >>

After seeing this, I have no wish to become one of their repeat customers. I will never recommend them again.
  • Options

<< <i>Submitted a few coins to PCGS. Shared the submission with someone else. We cherrypicked from JH, Fidelitrade, and DG. Only submitted coins with that we thought would go 68+.

I'm pretty sure I said to not grade anything less than a 68 or 67, though I do not have the paperwork nearby. Got several nice grades (6/8 were 68+) but the real kickers were GC MS61PL....that's right folks, MS61PL (only one graded by PCGS I believe)....and a Yosemite MS62PL. I examined these coins very closely and they were all great....nice mirrors, no rim dings, a few had some minor scratches but nothing that would drive a grade that low. I did a thorough packaging job to avoid rim dings, etc.

While I am an amateur, I can tell the difference between a 61 and high grade with these ATBs. Ridiculous and quite odd there was nothing in between. Very anxious to see these coins in hand. >>

Im no pro either Thought my 62`s would go 67-68 don't know what I missed might dip a retry with the other guys. But that 61 is the lowest Ive seen bet those61 and 62`s came from JHCB the king of cherry picking.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Submitted a few coins to PCGS. Shared the submission with someone else. We cherrypicked from JH, Fidelitrade, and DG. Only submitted coins with that we thought would go 68+.

While I am an amateur, I can tell the difference between a 61 and high grade with these ATBs. Ridiculous and quite odd there was nothing in between. Very anxious to see these coins in hand. >>

That is exactly why I just sent in all 15 of my raw coins: three 69's, nine 68's, two 67's, and one 64.

Some people have said well why send in the 67's and the 64 and I understand some experts can normally grade pretty spot on. I am pretty sure with these pucks the standard grading logic is already half way out the window. Look how the early grades didn't include DM or PL.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< Submitted a few coins to PCGS. Shared the submission with someone else. We cherrypicked from JH, Fidelitrade, and DG. Only submitted coins with that we thought would go 68+. I'm pretty sure I said to not grade anything less than a 68 or 67, though I do not have the paperwork nearby. Got several nice grades (6/8 were 68+) but the real kickers were GC MS61PL....that's right folks, MS61PL (only one graded by PCGS I believe)....and a Yosemite MS62PL. I examined these coins very closely and they were all great....nice mirrors, no rim dings, a few had some minor scratches but nothing that would drive a grade that low. I did a thorough packaging job to avoid rim dings, etc. While I am an amateur, I can tell the difference between a 61 and high grade with these ATBs. Ridiculous and quite odd there was nothing in between. Very anxious to see these coins in hand. >> >>

I am firmly convinced that there are tough graders and lenient graders on these. I have submitted three batches of pucks. The first two batches' grades ranged from 69 DMPL down to 68 PL, with one 67 DMPL (all were cherry-picked by me). My last batch (also cherry-picked from 3 sets) ran into a buzz saw: 64PL, 64DMPL, 66PL, 67PL, 68PL, 68DMPL (2). I felt that three of them had good shots at 69 DMPL and the rest were 68s. Not even close.
  • Options
    I guess I should taped $20 bills to the flips I submitted. image
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After seeing this, I have no wish to become one of their repeat customers. I will never recommend them again.

I'm not defending APMEX, but now that you would be a repeat customer you may get a better box if there is a
    "next time" for something like this.
  • Options
    Did anyone order the $1159 set from Dillon Gage and receive them yet? Supposed to be NGC Gem BU set but have heard some people have just received raw ATBs.
  • Options
    Maybe what we should do is take our ugliest pucks, throw them around a bit, play some hockey with them, maybe run them over with ours cars, and then sell them back to APMEX for 1100?
  • Options

MH BU
    GC 68PL
    YOS 68PL
    YEL BU
    HS MS 68

Is everyone who got a D box a repeat customer?
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

MH BU
    GC 68PL
    YOS 68PL
    YEL BU
    HS MS 68

Is everyone who got a D box a repeat customer? >>

I just wish I was either a DG or Apmex employee, I would have loved to have got a complete MS69DMPL set.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>

MH BU
    GC 68PL
    YOS 68PL
    YEL BU
    HS MS 68

Is everyone who got a D box a repeat customer? >>

Might be better to ask if there are any first time customers that got a D box? Would guess no replys to that but not sure.
  • Options

<< <i>After seeing this, I have no wish to become one of their repeat customers. I will never recommend them again.

I'm not defending APMEX, but now that you would be a repeat customer you may get a better box if there is a
    "next time" for something like this. >>

I understand your point, but for me it's a polite "No Thank You" to APMEX. I'll choose to do business with another company. When I unsubscribed to their mass email list, I wrote the reason why so that they are aware. It may be no big deal to them but I felt the need to let them know that I knew what they did.... and that's fine if it's their business plan. I did the same with Jack Hunt.
  • Options
    newnotesnewnotes Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I have been a customer of Apmex(have meaning very past tense). However my son had not and it was through him that I ordered another set from them. Total junk! Haven't seen so many fingerprints since the latest episode of CSI. I know, I know--it's just bullion. But they lost a 33 year old making pretty good money as a future customer and an old guy who will never buy from them again. Melt the real bad culls and at least make an attempt to create some good will.

Now, the rest of the story.

I must qualify this by saying that I was one of the original buyers from Apmex and made very good money flipping that set. But it's been downhill ever since.

Oh well--one each of the "P" pucks and I'll ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ampex still buying at 1100 they need more sets to make up for the Hsn . Please everyone with crappy pucks send those puppies in. I sent 2 more sets today. It funny there going backwards and not 1 person here, who was in the first round of people have said a word. As far as wishing someone gets a better set than the rest, sorry I hope you get the same set as i got. Than maybe you would be outraged. To Many folks here have sold there soul to the devil(ap) If it doesn't effect me why should i care. I and others who have been here way before this thread even started are done posting, there's no point in getting kicked off just because so many others are BLIND. Hey timber don't feel bad I think my set was the worst, but its already back in there hands hopefully going to a long time customer..This thread has always been a home away from home for some of us,but with all the recent post about how WE should just get over the fact we got screwed and this is being said by those who didn't.image The Coins from Jack Hunt numbers HAVE matched up they kept the best ones (Oh but you did get the rest) So harldly anyone complained. Guess at 54 I should know the world is not always a fair place, it just seems like there is no empathy for those who got the shaft. Enjoyed meeting most of you and good luck to the rest.......................................image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Don't leave us Tom, you have been a valuable member here. I too sent Apmex a bad set for $1100. I hope no one here on the forum gets them

but I sure did not want them and $1100 was not a bad price. It's onward and upward from here. I am now buying off ebay to fill in the holes I

have on my DMPL and PL sets and when I get done with them that is it for me with the pucks.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I wouldn't sell even what we consider perhaps the worst sets back to apmex. I got skunked with an A box, but nonetheless, a similiar skunk set just sold for $1,575 and was properly described. Thus, even a skunk A box set would/could net $465 versus the $120 Amex is offering. Why help them out?

I agree 1Tommy Rocks, and has just gotta stick around...It was his post that got me off the couch and in route for a unforgettable 28 hr road trip. They say that there are perhaps only a handful of really good memories that stick with a person for a lifetime, and for me that was one of them. Lets recap: I was sitting on the couch doing nothing...Next thing I know, I'm on the freeway, I ran a toll-booth, froze half to death, bought some coins, got interrogated by the cops, met a bunch of great people, what could be better than that. image
  • Options

<< <i>Ampex still buying at 1100 they need more sets to make up for the Hsn . Please everyone with crappy pucks send those puppies in. I sent 2 more sets today. It funny there going backwards and not 1 person here, who was in the first round of people have said a word. As far as wishing someone gets a better set than the rest, sorry I hope you get the same set as i got. Than maybe you would be outraged. To Many folks here have sold there soul to the devil(ap) If it doesn't effect me why should i care. I and others who have been here way before this thread even started are done posting, there's no point in getting kicked off just because so many others are BLIND. Hey timber don't feel bad I think my set was the worst, but its already back in there hands hopefully going to a long time customer..This thread has always been a home away from home for some of us,but with all the recent post about how WE should just get over the fact we got screwed and this is being said by those who didn't.image The Coins from Jack Hunt numbers HAVE matched up they kept the best ones (Oh but you did get the rest) So harldly anyone complained. Guess at 54 I should know the world is not always a fair place, it just seems like there is no empathy for those who got the shaft. Enjoyed meeting most of you and good luck to the rest.......................................image >>

With all due respect, you traded in fiat toilet paper for real money! Too bad you didn't keep them to protect your wealth. My experience with these pucks has always been hit or miss even with the fair distribution. I think its what makes the whole event fun to be a part of. I feel a lot of people are taking this all too personally. Any chance to offload a dying dollar is a good day for me. I've got great sets and horrible sets, but both are better than federal reserve notes. Relax, it'll make you feel better.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Am I gonna be the very last one to get his APMEX set? Still stuck in B Vault and not expected to ship 'til the 16th.
  • Options

<< <i>So harldly anyone complained. Guess at 54 I should know the world is not always a fair place, it just seems like there is no empathy for those who got the shaft. Enjoyed meeting most of you and good luck to the rest.......................................image >>

I ended up with 4 Apmex sets. 3 B's and a D. So came out pretty good. I just told a gal I work with they are still scum in my book. I'm not saying I will never order from them again.......but where they were the first on my list before, now they are 4th. MCM, Provident, Gainsville.........Apmex. There may be others that overtake them as well. There may be a situation where they are the only ones that have what I want at a decent price. If thats the case I won't cut off my nose to spite my face. Prior to this puck game I was not on this site. I'm thankful I found it and gain so much information about the ATB's but also spouses and other PM's of interest. The BST is awesome and I"m happy to have that option. Sorry for your feelings 1Tommy. Myself I wouldn't let a few internet posters push me away from all the good that is here. MsMoraine sp? for example has been fighting a good fight. Will it come to anything....only time will tell. I think there should be outrage at the pompus attitude of these AP's. I for one understand ur position and know you have contributed a lot. Guess I"m saying I agree with u.
  • Options

They are probably waiting for Tommy's and my sets to arrive which will be by Monday.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭
    This whole APMEX business leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Of all the APs, they had an established system in
    place not just for placing retail orders, but also for getting on a wait list in the form of an alert system. To
    abandon that to play favoritism, all the while giving out misleading information for months on end, is a betrayal
    of trust. What price integrity? It seems as though to collect the bullion versions you're going to have to dance
    with the devil. No thanks. With few exceptions, from here on out, I'll go with the Ps from the Mint. I like em
    better anyway. And Tommy - relax. It's only money. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I am not going anywhere except off this thread if it brings nothing but sadness than its time to go. As far as selling these dogs on ebay, I would not want to sell these to anyone, I would really like to see them sold for melt, thats how bad the 2 sets are. Not going to risk my ebay on those and thought ampex is the place to send them too, quick and easy. I know there have been others fighting the ap's since the beginning, but somewhere along the line so many have lost there focus of the group. That is what bums me out. I didn't expect anyone to send there great sets back from jack or ampex, all i asked for was a 2 minute phone call to the mint requesting that NO AP SHOULD HAVE GRADED BULLION...... All this does is create hard feeling between all of us who believe we should all get the same for paying the same, and it also just opens the back door to them for keeping the 69dm as has been proven with Jack. I love this site and I too have learned alot and will continue. Its just time to accept the facts........... Enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Tommy, you have been a valuable contributor to this thread. Thanks.

I was one of the first to order from APMEX, and while I did well on those, APMEX's later favoritism game is unfair, and IMO, in violation of a wide and fair sale that the Mint intended.

Bottom line: APMEX cannot be trusted, so I will not deal with them. They chose the low road..... instead of the high road that would be a boon to the hobby and still make them money.
  • Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    Received my D box last night.

MS69DMPL Mt Hood and the other 4 were MS69PL.

Last order with APMEX was 1 year (or so) ago. Never received any popcorn tins.

1st and only bullion 2010 set.

Expected and would have been happy with BU coins.

• Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

<< <i>Am I gonna be the very last one to get his APMEX set? Still stuck in B Vault and not expected to ship 'til the 16th. >>

No vette you arent the last one I think.My e mail states that it is in transit and expected delivery date is monday the 16th.But with all the posters who sold sets back I got to wonder if I will be getting those cuds.Dont sound too good.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    APMEX B Box:

HS MS68
    YS MS68PL
    YO MS68PL
    GC MS68PL
    MH MS68DMPL

Cant really complain. I was one of the lucky few to get the original APMEX set in December so I already scalped one.

It was really a hard decision on keeping this Unopened but the turnout of 69DMPL made me look.

Good luck to the rest.

PS: Tom, I made the same point a page or two back and got no response so at least you know people care image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077

<< <i>Did anyone order the $1159 set from Dillon Gage and receive them yet? Supposed to be NGC Gem BU set but have heard some people have just received raw ATBs. >>

I got my Dillon Gage set yesterday. Raw in giant flips and a very nice looking set.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Did anyone order the $1159 set from Dillon Gage and receive them yet? Supposed to be NGC Gem BU set but have heard some people have just received raw ATBs. >>

I got my Dillon Gage set yesterday. Raw in giant flips and a very nice looking set. >>

I got mine Wed. Same thing but they were not good coins, they went to Apmex.
  • Options
    My Apmex order is out for delivery. I am a long customer by time...meaning I have only purchased from them once in '06 but used the same account info/password, so I am curious to see if that counts for anything.

I did sell them a raw set for 1250. Set was not bad but I had one extra and decided the easy $300 was worth it especially with the small drop in silver. No Ebay feees, no hassles. Though I am waiting for the 1-3 day period while they check in my order before sending out a check.

I would love to get a D box and basically have had them pay me $300 to grade a set for me image

Tommy, thanks for your posts and guidance on the pucks!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I got my Dillon Gage set yesterday. Raw in giant flips and a very nice looking set. >>

I got mine Wed. Same thing but they were not good coins, they went to Apmex. >>

Did you pay $1159 for them? If so you are upside down on that transaction. They were advertised and invoiced as NGC Gem BUs so I'd be ticked if thats what you got instead.
  • Options

No, I believe it was $869 plus shipping.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    14400 !!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file