Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-AMERICA-BEAUTIFUL-5OZ-SILVER-SET-5-PCGS-F-S-/320677331672?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4aa9dbc2d8

A PCGS BU set for over $2K?? What's up with this??? >>

someone that does not check or maybe does not care about closed auction prices.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Mine came from Home Depot. The first time I used it I did so without the water bath & occasionally I did have
    some residue "spots". But when using with a double water rinse & blow dryer I had no such problems. Coins
    dried spot free in seconds. As far as the labeling, although it did not say "100% pure", it also did not list any
    additives either. >>

Right on. I'm getting more than you're describing. I'll have to try redipping with a different brand. >>

I forget who on this thread posted it but they used 3 bowls for the acetone dip, two rinses of acetone after the first dip and then the distilled water rinses and blow dry. Seems like a good idea. >>

I'm going to have to give this a try as it actually sounds like fun! A few questions from an acetone newbie:

- What are you using to pick up the coins... Home depot gloves too?? image
    - How long are you leaving the coins in the acetone?
    - What are you sitting them on to dry... a soft cotton towel or t-shirt?
    - What aisle in HD is the acetone? Paint section?
    - Will PCGS still grade the coins after acetone baths?
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options

<< <i>Very generous and a great idea for a gift. Do your nieces and nephews collect or is this just a nice gift for the future? >>

gift for future.

they all live abroad.

It'll be interesting getting them to them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I checked with Apmex and you have to have the ATB set in YOUR possession. Crazy, but they will have to first ship to you, then you ship back to them. >>

Not that crazy, if you think about it. If they did that, then folks WOULD REALLY be complaining about the possible shenanigans, right?
    And, they aren't fueling the complete speculation by having folks buy/sell something they don't even possess (which could cause problems in different ways).

So, they sell what they have (or have while it is moving around, which is the case of the pucks) and they expect the same.

Now, I am NOT a big fan of Apmex as I think they bungled A LOT on this, but I do try to remain removed from emotions on things like this, but I see an awful lot of emotions flying about, blind to what is the most likely reason/scenario for some things.... >>

ALL APs, as part of the AP agreement, MUST make a market in the bullion products they purchase from the mint. Meaning they MUST publish sell AND BUY prices for them. This includes bullion ASE, AGE, Buffs, AND ATB COINS.

They are doing what they are required to do. And if they have buyers at $1395 again.... paying people $1250 isn't that surprising is it?? They're in business to buy and sell coins, right?
  • Options

My latest JH order is on the truck. Tracking says 4 lbs. My last JH set was 2 lbs. Wonder what's inside?imageimage

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>My latest JH order is on the truck. Tracking says 4 lbs. My last JH set was 2 lbs. Wonder what's inside?imageimage

image >>

Hey, let me know cause mines close behind, stuck at initiated but also says 4 lbs...The last one I received said 2 lbs...and was all slabs...Maybe you'll get 2 sets...image
  • Options
    Hey, let me know cause mines close behind, stuck at initiated but also says 4 lbs...The last one I received said 2 lbs...and was all slabs...Maybe you'll get 2 sets...

of course, and they will all be 69DMPL, I'm sure of it. imageimage

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< It seems strange to me that the posters on this forum have probably made more money on this mint release than any other mint release ever, >> Nah...I think the 20th Annv Silver Eagle sets may have hit that record.....$100 for a set of 3 and some were selling for $5000+ at the onset.

I'll agree with that. Man what a flip. I'm still selling those off for fun, but boy I wish I'd sold all my JUDAS boxes for that one big score instead of just two. Didn't one member do his whole load @8k/10 set? Good move.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

It just got a lot harder to get the P version from the US Mint. ModernCoinMart has mass emailed everyone to try and hoard all they can get, and paying a bonus. I'll never buy from them....ever! These were meant for households, not for dealers to try and hoard and mark up. I called them and asked them to stop, but they won't back down.
    Good luck trying to get one now!!!

Dear ModernCoinMart/ JMRC Customer,

The United States Mint is offering a product for $279.95 with a limit of one per person, per household on Thursday April 28th at noon at their website. Here is the link that describes the product:

We are in need of several hundred of these, and as we have done in the past are willing to pay a premium for you and your friends and family to buy them for us. We will pay $330 each for the first 400 commitments we receive. We will also add another $25 for USPS express mail shipping and insurance so that you can overnight the coin to us when it arrives. If you are interested in this opportunity, please respond to britta@moderncoinmart.com and she will then email you step by step instructions.

Throughout the year opportunities like this present themselves and sometimes you can make a quick and easy profit. We've been doing this now for years with no problems; it is straightforward and backed by our longstanding reputation. We remember those that help us on the smaller purchases like this when the larger and more profitable opportunities come along.

Best Regards,

John Maben
    CEO, JMRC/ ModernCoinMart

My email to them:

I wouldn't have had a problem with this if you had waited until after the sale date, but unless you withdraw that email offer, I will never buy from you again. The average collector will have a hard enough time getting one of these coins, and now you are trying to hoard them, and don't say you weren't. Otherwise you would have waited. I'm not alone with this thinking. Every collector that I know feels the exact same way.

A former customer.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok to get my mind off those old pucks, decided to have a giveaway for the closet guess to the date and time of the sellout of the p version hot springs on april 28 12 noon eastern. Please make all your guess on eastern time : } The prize is 2010-W $1 Eagle US PR69DC First strike woohoooooo Contest guesses will be accpeted Up till the start of the sale......good luck everyone guess the sell out time and date p version CLICK HEREimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Thanks for the fun Tommy, 4/29/11, 1400 EST
  • Options
    April 29th at 5PM EST.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are supposed to click on the link to his giveaway thread and post your dates and times there! Not here!!!image
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It just got a lot harder to get the P version from the US Mint. ModernCoinMart has mass emailed everyone to try and hoard all they can get, and paying a bonus. I'll never buy from them....ever! These were meant for households, not for dealers to try and hoard and mark up. I called them and asked them to stop, but they won't back down.

The United States Mint is offering a product for $279.95 with a limit of one per person, per household on Thursday April 28th at noon at their website. Here is the link that describes the product:

We are in need of several hundred of these, and as we have done in the past are willing to pay a premium for you and your friends and family to buy them for us. We will pay $330 each for the first 400 commitments we receive. We will also add another $25 for USPS express mail shipping and insurance so that you can overnight the coin to us when it arrives. If you are interested in this opportunity, please respond to britta@moderncoinmart.com and she will then email you step by step instructions.

Throughout the year opportunities like this present themselves and sometimes you can make a quick and easy profit. We've been doing this now for years with no problems; it is straightforward and backed by our longstanding reputation. We remember those that help us on the smaller purchases like this when the larger and more profitable opportunities come along.

Best Regards,

John Maben

My email to them:

I wouldn't have had a problem with this if you had waited until after the sale date, but unless you withdraw that email offer, I will never buy from you again. The average collector will have a hard enough time getting one of these coins, and now you are trying to hoard them, and don't say you weren't. Otherwise you would have waited. I'm not alone with this thinking. Every collector that I know feels the exact same way.

A former customer. >>

I like Modern coin mart. Always fair to me and I will buy from them.

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It just got a lot harder to get the P version from the US Mint. ModernCoinMart has mass emailed everyone to try and hoard all they can get, and paying a bonus. I'll never buy from them....ever! These were meant for households, not for dealers to try and hoard and mark up. I called them and asked them to stop, but they won't back down.

Best Regards,

John Maben

My email to them:

A former customer. >>

I like Modern coin mart. Always fair to me and I will buy from them.

Joe >>

As far as I'm concerned, they do not get any better than Modern Coin Mart. I have bought from them for years and will continue to do so.

If fact, the only coin I do not want is Hot Springs and I have agreed to sell to Modern Coin Mart. As an individual person, that is my right to sell them my one coin.
  • Options

Best Regards,

John Maben

My email to them:

A former customer. >>

MCM Reply:

We appreciate your right to voice your opinion and welcome it. However, we simply don't agree at all. If we are able to obtain 400 coins we will make 800 ModernCoinMart customers very happy, the 400 that make the initial profit by selling to us, and the 400 who eventually buy the coins from us. That's our job, that's our business; to obtain product and sell it to those that want it. We do this in a most professional, courteous, and always ethical manner.

John Maben
  • Options
    I'm sorry but the crap Modern Coin Mart is pulling is just wrong. The coins that were suppose to represent the fair, democratic ideals of the United States are becoming representative of everything wrong with this country. The rich can manipulate, lobby, and grab all they can under the guise of justified, legal greed, and we just fight for the leftovers....for which we'll have to pay more. I honestly wish I were a customer of theirs so I could tell them exactly where they'd find my future orders. Maybe 4 or 5 more companies will do the same, why not, advertise a quick $50 dollar profit over Facebook, Ebay, wherever and then see who gets thru.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sorry but the crap Modern Coin Mart is pulling is just wrong. The coins that were suppose to represent the fair, democratic ideals of the United States are becoming representative of everything wrong with this country. The rich can manipulate, lobby, and grab all they can under the guise of justified, legal greed, and we just fight for the leftovers....for which we'll have to pay more. I honestly wish I were a customer of theirs so I could tell them exactly where they'd find my future orders. Maybe 4 or 5 more companies will do the same, why not, advertise a quick $50 dollar profit over Facebook, Ebay, wherever and then see who gets thru. >>

Please..stop the crying & face reality. Some folks just can't stop playing the "Man from La Mancha." Even Don Quixote finally stopped chasing windmills.

Post script. I have never bought or sold anything to MCM, but if I did, they would be my first choice.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    50 bucks ain't even starting to push my button. Try $400. I can be bought! image
  • Options
    "Please stop the crying" Teddy Roosevelt wasn't crying when he complained about big companies wanting to destroy the Natural Beauty of this country for profit. John Muir wasn't crying when he wrote countless articles to papers complaining about land speculators, sheep herders and lumbermen destroying everything beautiful in the name of profit. I don't think it is crying to simply want fairness in a system that so unabashedly favors the big boys. You can keep throwing out shallow insults if it makes you happy, you may even say this is the American way, I think people who accept this crap are the problem. I just want an honest chance to collect a set of coins that are being minted for us, the people. Doesn't seem that tough does it?

Teddy Roosevelt wasn't crying either when he pushed for artistically beautiful coins that truly represented the "ideals" of this country.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭
    LOL! Modern Coin Mart is running a business. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Please stop the crying" Teddy Roosevelt wasn't crying when he complained about big companies wanting to destroy the Natural Beauty of this country for profit. John Muir wasn't crying when he wrote countless articles to papers complaining about land speculators, sheep herders and lumbermen destroying everything beautiful in the name of profit. I don't think it is crying to simply want fairness in a system that so unabashedly favors the big boys. You can keep throwing out shallow insults if it makes you happy, you may even say this is the American way, I think people who accept this crap are the problem. I just want an honest chance to collect a set of coins that are being minted for us, the people. Doesn't seem that tough does it?

Teddy Roosevelt wasn't crying either when he pushed for artistically beautiful coins that truly represented the "ideals" of this country. >>

If you want an "honest set"...do like the rest of us....get on line & hope the Mint's system doesn't crash.
    Only 1 puck per household...your odds of getting one is the same as anyone else. Don't compare, these bullion rounds with your above examples, it's an insult to those who spoke or wrote them.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>"Please stop the crying" Teddy Roosevelt wasn't crying when he complained about big companies wanting to destroy the Natural Beauty of this country for profit. John Muir wasn't crying when he wrote countless articles to papers complaining about land speculators, sheep herders and lumbermen destroying everything beautiful in the name of profit. I don't think it is crying to simply want fairness in a system that so unabashedly favors the big boys. You can keep throwing out shallow insults if it makes you happy, you may even say this is the American way, I think people who accept this crap are the problem. I just want an honest chance to collect a set of coins that are being minted for us, the people. Doesn't seem that tough does it?

Teddy Roosevelt wasn't crying either when he pushed for artistically beautiful coins that truly represented the "ideals" of this country. >>

Um, New flash, there are only 27K minted...I'm fairly certain there are more than 27K households in the USA...You want fairness for the people? Take it up with the Mint...
  • Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sorry but the crap Modern Coin Mart is pulling is just wrong. The coins that were suppose to represent the fair, democratic ideals of the United States are becoming representative of everything wrong with this country. The rich can manipulate, lobby, and grab all they can under the guise of justified, legal greed, and we just fight for the leftovers....for which we'll have to pay more. I honestly wish I were a customer of theirs so I could tell them exactly where they'd find my future orders. Maybe 4 or 5 more companies will do the same, why not, advertise a quick $50 dollar profit over Facebook, Ebay, wherever and then see who gets thru. >>

Based on this rant, I'm pretty sure I know who you voted for in the last presidential election
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options

<< <i>

Based on this rant, I'm pretty sure I know who you voted for in the last presidential election >>

rants like this will get threads locked and people bammed.

please take it to PMs.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone posted this but Dillon Gage raw sets are sold out. Looks like only Prudential is left selling these sets. I got an official Prudential Statement in the mail yesterday confirming my order as well as a phone call last week. Still waiting to hear from distributor about shipment. They are a little slow but very professional once the ball gets rolling.
  • Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the response would have been if APMEX posted that.

Let's see, how much will they be selling that set for now?

What happens if the Mint raises their price to $350 a coin?

Another exciting offering in the making.

Should the Mint suspend sales now and rethink this offering.
    Is the US Mint paying attention? If they are, THERE SHOULD BE NO MINTAGE LIMITS!!!!!
  • Options
    MCM's offer to buy @ $50 profit is fair but I wouldn't sell to the first buy offer either.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the limit of 1 per household, anyone who wants one and tries to place an order in the first few hours on Thursday will most assuredly get one. No reason to complain.
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Is anybody disappointed that the Mint's coin only appears to come in a cardboard box, and not a special wood or even plastic box!
  • Options
    no problem here.

a wood box would be overkill.

btw, the 4 coin empty boxes the mint once sold for the first spouse series cost $31.95 for the proof wooden box and the plastic looking uncirc. box was $18.95. Plus, these were sold with gold coins.

Even the gold commems do not come in a wooden or plastic display box.

An extra $20-$30 on top? no thanks.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is anybody disappointed that the Mint's coin only appears to come in a cardboard box, and not a special wood or even plastic box! >>

Yes! I would like a jumbo box to rival the UHR offering or something along the lines of the Lincoln Chronicle Set housing or......

I will be happy just to get one or so. I do appreciate the extra mile the mint goes to protect their PM's , though.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>Is anybody disappointed that the Mint's coin only appears to come in a cardboard box, and not a special wood or even plastic box! >>

I'm hoping the Mint sells a 12 foot x 8 foot mahogany map that will hold all 58 coins in the set.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

No problem with what MCM is doing at all. It's just a business deal and having dealt with them in the past I have been very satisfied with their service.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm hoping the Mint sells a 12 foot x 8 foot mahogany map that will hold all 58 coins in the set. >>

See the photo attached. These P versions appear to come in an Air Tight type capsule in,yes, the usual Mint cardboard printed box, the same type used for all modern commemoratives.

• Options

<< <i>

Best Regards,

John Maben

My email to them:

A former customer. >>

MCM Reply:

We appreciate your right to voice your opinion and welcome it. However, we simply don't agree at all. If we are able to obtain 400 coins we will make 800 ModernCoinMart customers very happy, the 400 that make the initial profit by selling to us, and the 400 who eventually buy the coins from us. That's our job, that's our business; to obtain product and sell it to those that want it. We do this in a most professional, courteous, and always ethical manner.

John Maben >>

If you don't like what they are doing make an offer to prebuy all the coins at a higher price than they are offering, they just have a better mailing list but the web levels the field somewhat.
  • Options

<< <i>50 bucks ain't even starting to push my button. Try $400. I can be bought! image >>

Bingo! $400 each and they get my 2 pieces.

I have no problem with MCM's offer. It's just too low for me to sell.

ModernCoinMart is a class outfit with great service. I've sold to them many times and will again. Just not this one at $330!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Based on this rant, I'm pretty sure I know who you voted for in the last presidential election >>

please take it to PMs. >>

Can we get a picture of someone getting BAMMED sounds cool.
  • Options

<< <i>No problem with what MCM is doing at all. It's just a business deal and having dealt with them in the past I have been very satisfied with their service. >>

Agreed 1000 times. John takes the time to post here and keeps everything straight up. A1+ in my book
  • Options

Good luck trying to get one now!!! >>

A lot of individuals are buying with the immediate intention to simply to flip them. MCM is really just putting out a notice letting them know where they can do so. What they are doing is actually a lot more honest than the people who will use multiple addresses to get more than one.

By the way, if hoarding and marking up and getting around the one per household thing really bugs you, you definitely don't want to read the past couple weeks of this thread. You'll pop an artery reading about how individuals scored 10+ sets of the 5 oz bullion coins despite the 1 per household rule.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty powerful and prophetic post for number 27 Stev!

Let the games just about begin for round two! Come on Thursday!!

MCM is MCM. A TOP notch outfit run by TOP notch individuals. TOP with credible history. Enough said.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I've never much cared to pay extra for fancy packaging from the Mint. Got burned for it, too. Back in '97 when
    the Mint offered the 3 faces of liberty. The difference in price between buying the 3 coin set in a cherry wood
    box as opposed to buying each coin individually was around I think $200 more or less. I chose to save the
    money & buy individually. Big mistake, as the wooden box sets today go for a lot more than the combined price
    of the individual coins. Go figure. Guess what I'm trying to say is that it is better to pay extra for the fancy
    shmancy packaging when offered. But for general run of the mill stuff like these pucks I'd prefer to be a
    minimalist. Now if they'd offer a yearly kilo coin that would be another matter altogether. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

please take it to PMs. >>

Can we get a picture of someone getting BAMMED sounds cool. >>

first post here
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    i haven't been in this thread for awhile, so lemme get this straight.. on thursday the mint is releasing "2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins™ – Hot Springs National Park" for $279.99?

1 of the 5 coins we all already bought?

i don't get it.. why is this a big deal? what am i missing.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i haven't been in this thread for awhile, so lemme get this straight.. on thursday the mint is releasing "2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins™ – Hot Springs National Park" for $279.99?

1 of the 5 coins we all already bought?

i don't get it.. why is this a big deal? what am i missing. >>

It's a "collector" version that carries the Philly mintmark and has a special finish, plus they throw in a crappy cardboad presentation box. They are releasing them one special puck at a time throughout the coming weeks/months. They also are being sold directly by the Mint so no hoops to jump through by all the Mint AP's. The "big deal" is the limited number they selling. That about sums it up...........
  • Options
    Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm hoping the Mint sells a 12 foot x 8 foot mahogany map that will hold all 58 coins in the set. >>

Great post, it gave me a nice laugh, thank you.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Anyone who sells the soon to be $1000 Mint coin for $330 is missing out on some big money.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    APMEX is losing favor again, here is their email sent 4/19:

We are pleased to inform you that your BankCashiers CheckMoney Orde payment of $979.90 for order #9999 has been received. We expect to ship your order within 3-5 business days of this e-mail. Your estimated shipdate is Apr 26 2011 If your order has items that were “Pre-Sold”, your order will be shipped in full once those items arrive. A final e-mail notification will be sent once your order is shipped.

Guess what, no shipping notice, yet.

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

-Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file