Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I wouldn't touch a DG unopened set with a 15 ft. pole. >>

I'm half Polish but only 6' 2"
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    In regard to the new submission rules...I'm working on getting a response from PCGS to see how this affects vouchers...may have to wait until Monday.

My fear and assumption is that the vouchers will not cover the new oversize holders, as they are an additional service. If my fears are true, I'll be rushing out my next order so it gets there before May 1!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would touch any set unopened for a good price.

It's mostly hit or miss, with one notable exception everyone knows that I'm suspicious of.

I wouldn't pay too much over an opened set. maybe $100, because you certainly could miss just about as easy as you could hit.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATB Update Link that SeahawkFan posted.

Jack Hunt is out and the prices will go up!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Got my Jack Hunt Set today, looks like did well(all PCGS FS graded):

Yosemite MS69PL
    Yellowstone MS68 DMPL
    Hot Springs MS68 DMPL
    Grand C. Gem BU
    Mount Hood Gem BU
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well it is a rainy, cold day in Massachusetts...Bosox are on the west coast......I was bored sooooo...I decided to open up my DG set that I was going to flip as a sealed set. The reason being, other than boredom, it that recent sales of raw sets are just about at the sealed set prices so...what to lose..(Oh...did I mention I was bored) Damn..I am SO glad that I didn't sell that set sealed....It, by far, is the best looking set I have received (7 so far) EVERY coin looks perfect to me with DMPL noisily screaming at me......(well, the MH has a small patch of schmutz on the obverse that will be devoured by acetone) Little tiny gift box with coins in flips and it blows away my AMark set in slabs that I got 4 69's from Dudes (and Dudettes)...if you have a sealed DG set.....wait for a rainy day and go for it!!!! This set is NOT staying raw...... >>

Pretty close to my experience, too. Three of my DGs were screaming 68-69 DMPLs as were three of my Jack Hunt's. They are in the grading pipeline now. Those DGs looked scuzzy in the flips and I initially thought they were all trash, but when I pulled them out I was almost blinded by the mirrors! I'm hoping that just half of them are 69 DMPLs, but I'll certainly be jazzed if more of them catch the grader's eye!

Thanks for stealing Adrian Gonzalez from us. The Padres just got shut-out for the sixth time this season in 20 games. No Gonzo = no runs = no wins. Small town baseball suffers again... image
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ATB Update Link that SeahawkFan posted.

Jack Hunt is out and the prices will go up! >>

Elaborating on Miles's brief summary about 2011 puck sales to the unwashed masses -

*Fidelitrade will make the coins available for sale to the general public

*Manfra Tordella & Brookes, Inc. indicated that they plan to sell the coins to retail dealers as well as the retail public

*Apmex will offer the coins for sale to the public.

*Jack Hunt Coin Brokers indicated that they would not sell the coins retail.

JH not sell to the general public? What? Surely Jack jests.

Only the non-public can buy from JH after JHCB has cherrypicked it's 2011 stock.

What a joke.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I did the xmas morning thing today and opened all 9 of my sets. The mental battle was this, the first sets I received and opened a month or so ago were poor, to crap at best. All 30 coins were junk, so I'm thinking I either had a bad draw or the TPG's are being pretty easy. I choose the first option. Then what to do with these unopened sets? Sell on the bay and risk a Not as Described or a return of some more junk? Or lose the premium and sell the junk at spot or close and grade the rest hoping to break even. I choose to open.

Well I'm very happy to say that all the coins in all the sets I opened today are great. About a third are true PL and all are mark free, scratch free, spot free, and very, very minimal die polished with smooth rims. Basically the worse coin in this group is way better than the best coin from the first group. I mean I've got a stack of 25 of these that are not PL(which I like better) and are slam dunk 69's. The PL's will fall somewhere in the other 20 slam dunks. I know its a bold statement but I've submitted enough proofs in my tenure to note this. If I were submitting Kennys, Ikes or Frankies with these strikes and surfaces plus the lack of marks, spots or distractions I'd bet money on 69 grades.

DG sets, Best packaging so far for raw sets. Small box for easy storage and pre flipped for submission. Anyone have any of those flips? I've got air-tights to trade if need be.

JH sets, no wonder it took so long to ship, they were busy packaging. Coin into bubble envelope then triple folded and stacked with four others in a special way as to be wrapped in bubble wrap and crammed into a small box then bubble wrapped again and put into another box which was seriously taped for space travel.

MTB sets, coin into air-tight (the saving grace) then into bubble envelope then taped to bottom of cheap large flat box then taped shut with one piece of cheap tape. All that wrapped with bubble wrap then stuffed into a big flat UPS box. Each envelope looked like it had been opened and a couple coins were loose.

I received no graded coins. Now waiting on the voucher info before renew.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Elaborating on Miles's brief summary about 2011 puck sales to the unwashed masses -

*Manfra Tordella & Brookes, Inc. indicated that they plan to sell the coins to retail dealers as well as the retail public

Only the non-public can buy from JH after JHCB has cherrypicked it's 2011 stock.

What a joke. >>

If it quakes like a duck and walk likes a duck than it must be............. hmmm No Reports OF any 69DM? Yet so many happy customers. Yeah I Hate Jack....but I did like fidelitrade. And no word from MY buddy at the Gold center? Surely jack and G.C are going to make a killing on the next round if allowed. Enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wouldn't touch a DG unopened set with a 15 ft. pole. >>

I'm half Polish but only 6' 2" >>

Thats funny stuff......I don't care who ya are!!!!!!!!! Getter Done!
  • Options
    << << I wouldn't touch a DG unopened set with a 15 ft. pole. >> I'm half Polish but only 6' 2" >> Thats funny stuff......I don't care who ya are!!!!!!!!! Getter Done!

Yea, that was funny.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What a joke. >>

If it quakes like a duck and walk likes a duck than it must be............. hmmm No Reports OF any 69DM? Yet so many happy customers. Yeah I Hate Jack....but I did like fidelitrade. And no word from MY buddy at the Gold center? Surely jack and G.C are going to make a killing on the next round if allowed. Enjoyimage >>

Tom, hat's off to you.

You were there, in line in Springfield, IL., Jan 3, posting to this thread.

'Nuff said.

I can't stand it any longer.

For those on this thread happy with your JH slabbed MS 68XXXX + MS69XX, glad you like them.

Show us your slabbed JH MS69DM.

Aiin't going to happen.

Cherry picked.

Edited for spelling.
  • Options
    I'm sure JH just "forgot" to include the DMPL 69s. image
  • Options

<< <i>
    Tom, hat's off to you.

You were there, in line in Springfield, IL., Jan 3, posting to this thread.

'Nuff said.

I can't stand it any longer.

For those on this thread happy with your JH slabbed MS 68XXXX + MS69XX, glad you like them.

Show us your slabbed JH MS69DM.

Aiin't going to happen.

Cherry picked.

Edited for spelling. >>

Whats wierd is the one JHCB set I opened was the best looking coins I have received. I got the unslabbed ones early Still opening the 3 sets and setting up to do an acetone into airtites tomorrow. I will look harder tomorrow after the dip. These look like some 69 DMPL's so far to me. Will report more tomorrow.
  • Options

Whats wierd is the one JHCB set I opened was the best looking coins I have received. I got the unslabbed ones early Still opening the 3 sets and setting up to do an acetone into airtites tomorrow. I will look harder tomorrow after the dip. These look like some 69 DMPL's so far to me. Will report more tomorrow. >>

And I wish you the best with that set, it was always the luck of the draw on the raw sets. I accepted that fact a long time ago after reading all these posts, but Jack just took the fun out of it for me, I now will continue on with the mints version and I truly believe I will never have to worry about those being cherry picked. Better for the series...Enjoyimage

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Regarding the acetone dip, do you touch the surface of the coin at all? Also, how long air drying do you need?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Yosemite NGC MS 69 ER that went for over a grand

These have been holding steady now for a few months. I sold mine for $950 last month. It has to be an early release though. My guess is these are needed to have complete NGC MS 69 ER sets.
  • Options
    Ok I'm planning on submitting my coins to PCGS but I need some info on filling out the forms.

1) What do I put under variety?
    2) I'm using a Voucher for 8 Raw Coins so I know they must go in a separate box with the voucher.
    3) Do I have to separate the coins already in a holder (AMARK) from the raw coins in Air-tites and submit them seperately with their own Handling & Return Shipping Fees for those I'm not using a voucher for?
    4) If I put them all in one large box but seperate smaller boxes, I would essentially be paying for Handling & Return Shipping Fees 3x correct? One for the Voucher Box, One for the Raw Coins, and One for the already holdered AMARK coins?

Thanks for the help guys!
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding the acetone dip, do you touch the surface of the coin at all? Also, how long air drying do you need? >>

There are several posts ......not sure how to find them...... on dips. I have several sets of white exam gloves so will use one for acetone and one for distilled water. This will be my first time so not sure how long the air drying will take.
  • Options

<< <i>Ok I'm planning on submitting my coins to PCGS but I need some info on filling out the forms.

1) What do I put under variety?
    2) I'm using a Voucher for 8 Raw Coins so I know they must go in a separate box with the voucher.
    3) Do I have to separate the coins already in a holder (AMARK) from the raw coins in Air-tites and submit them seperately with their own Handling & Return Shipping Fees for those I'm not using a voucher for?
    4) If I put them all in one large box but seperate smaller boxes, I would essentially be paying for Handling & Return Shipping Fees 3x correct? One for the Voucher Box, One for the Raw Coins, and One for the already holdered AMARK coins?

Thanks for the help guys! >>

1) nothing
    2)you can send all submissions in the same box.
    3)yes. amarks are regrades and have to go on a separate submission form.
    4)a large ziplock bag or any other bag/box can separate the submissions within the same outer box.

edited to add: yes you pay separate shipping fees on each submission.

there is a section in the upper right section of the submission form where you make note of how many submissions AND coins are in the outer box.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    Thanks Coinman! I gotta get in before PCGS ups their fees next week! >.<

I wonder what what kind of expression the post office lady will give me when I tell her to insure it for $4k. lol. The last time I asked for a $1700 the lady was shocked, didn't ask me what was in it, but suggested I use the special tape with the strings in it, but I told her it didn't matter to me so long as the coins got to where they were goin. (ebay sale)

I love you guys and I love this forum!
  • Options

<< <i>
    I love you guys and I love this forum! >>

Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Coinman! I gotta get in before PCGS ups their fees next week! >.<

I wonder what what kind of expression the post office lady will give me when I tell her to insure it for $4k. lol. The last time I asked for a $1700 the lady was shocked, didn't ask me what was in it, but suggested I use the special tape with the strings in it, but I told her it didn't matter to me so long as the coins got to where they were goin. (ebay sale)

if they ask whats in the box they are being nosy. they are not required to ask. another member here had a perfect response if asked..."stamped metal parts". one time i asked for 3 or 4k insurance and the clerk blurted out "ahhh... collectibles, huh"???
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i> I wonder what what kind of expression the post office lady will give me when I tell her to insure it for $4k. >>

Depending on how far you've got to ship it, you may want to look into Express Mail if you're within a few shipping zones. Insurance for $4K is quite expensive with Priority Mail - it's a lot cheaper with Express. But if you are more than 4 zones away, a Priority Flat Rate box will probably be cheaper...Registered is an option, too. It will take longer to get there, but the insurance on it is also cheaper than with Priority...
  • Options
    I live in San Diego California and PCGS is in Newport Beach, California. I suppose I could ship it via registered and it will still get there quickly. Hopefully no longer then 3 days. I guess if I ship it out by monday they should get it before the week is over. not really sure how slow registered mail can go though.
  • Options
    The cheapest service is Registered Mail trough the USPS. I just sent one set of coins and insured them for 7k, only paid 32 bucks. The only issue is that you need a to seal your box with the brown paper tape and not regular tape.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The cheapest service is Registered Mail trough the USPS. I just sent one set of coins and insured them for 7k, only paid 32 bucks. The only issue is that you need a to seal your box with the brown paper tape and not regular tape. >>

Many times USPS Express mail w/ insurance is only a couple of dollars more than Registered. But you need to be able to fit everything into a flat rate envelope for it to be worthwhile I believe. But I'd rather pay $3 or so more and get my stuff there in 1 day vs. the mystery amount Registered takes. I think the max insurance on Express is $5000 though. But for $2-3k or so of insurance, the cost is almost the same.

• Options
    Dad's Jack Hunt opened today and included the following:

HS PCGS ms68DMPL
    GC PCGS ms68DMPL
    MH PCGS ms68DMPL
    YS PCGS ms68PL
    YO PCGS ms68

I've got one more Jack Hunt set coming, so maybe I can complete a 68dmpl set. Oh Well, still not bad for $7 under spot per oz.
  • Options
    I`m sorry but I can`t believe people are happy with 68 cherry picked sets. Oh yea they are under melt, which is at a 30 year high could be below melt very soon, or could be higher above melt soon also. But They will never be a69. THANKS pain webber oh wrong commercial.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see they have a new holder now. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>I`m sorry but I can`t believe people are happy with 68 cherry picked sets. Oh yea they are under melt, which is at a 30 year high could be below melt very soon, or could be higher above melt soon also. But They will never be a69. THANKS pain webber oh wrong commercial. >>

Not happy at all...but there's not much to do about it. Fortunately, it looks like JH isn't letting us buy from them anyway for the 2011s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I`m sorry but I can`t believe people are happy with 68 cherry picked sets. Oh yea they are under melt, which is at a 30 year high could be below melt very soon, or could be higher above melt soon also. But They will never be a69. THANKS pain webber oh wrong commercial. >>

Not happy at all...but there's not much to do about it. Fortunately, it looks like JH isn't letting us buy from them anyway for the 2011s. >>

Thats the best deal they can give us.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see they have a new holder now. image

image >>

Someone needs to photoshop in a DMPL big quarter imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

Not happy at all...but there's not much to do about it. Fortunately, it looks like JH isn't letting us buy from them anyway for the 2011s. >>

There is alot one can do, one can take the time to call the mint. Which should also be done for the 1158 set from dillon gage. As in the beginning those of us who took the time making the calls found out IT did matter, The problem here is that some folks think they got the deal of the century. And unlike before we are in the minority now, so I made my phone calls and sent jack a couple nice notes, I can sleep good knowing I was sticking up for everyone. Jack hunt is still gonna sell these just not retail. So once again if you believe what they did this round was wrong than a phone call should be made to stop the 2011 from falling into there hands.... If you don't at least try than you will surely fail..........................image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Coinman! I gotta get in before PCGS ups their fees next week! >.<

Unless if you live in a very small town, the clerks see high value more than you think. If you act like it's no big deal so will they. As for contents, "machine parts" is commonly used by the dealers I know when asked by curious handlers.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

There is alot one can do, one can take the time to call the mint. Which should also be done for the 1158 set from dillon gage. As in the beginning those of us who took the time making the calls found out IT did matter, The problem here is that some folks think they got the deal of the century. And unlike before we are in the minority now, so I made my phone calls and sent jack a couple nice notes, I can sleep good knowing I was sticking up for everyone. Jack hunt is still gonna sell these just not retail. So once again if you believe what they did this round was wrong than a phone call should be made to stop the 2011 from falling into there hands.... If you don't at least try than you will surely fail..........................image >>

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options

<< <i>I live in San Diego California and PCGS is in Newport Beach, California. I suppose I could ship it via registered and it will still get there quickly. Hopefully no longer then 3 days. I guess if I ship it out by monday they should get it before the week is over. not really sure how slow registered mail can go though. >>

Then DEFINITELY use Express Mail!!! I live in the San Diego area, too (Escondido) and I always use Express Mail to PCGS. We fall in the "Local" category - you can send a package up to 5 lbs for less than $20 (plus insurance, which will be a lot less than with Priority). The package will get there the next day, you'll have the best on-line tracking that the PO offers and you won't be subject to the sometimes infernal delays of Registered (I've had Registered packages take over two weeks to get to/from PCGS - I could have walked then up to PCGS faster)

Edit: You can insure up to $5000 with Express Mail.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone needs to photoshop in a DMPL big quarter imageimage >>

Like this?

-Paul

• Options
    Just had to do it
  • Options

<< <i>Just had to do it
    image >>

Thats putting your MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS .
  • Options
    Well. Opened up 3 total sets of JHCB and 1 set of Fidelitrade. Sending in 7 coins for grading to PCGS. Decided against messing with acetone. Going to sell off the rest when the market comes on again. My criteria may be too tight on these but shooting for all 69 DMPLS. Guess we will see if i'm becoming a grader or not lol. 4 Apmexs, 1 CnT and 1 Prudential still on the way.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Still waiting for Dillon Gage and Prudential.

Dillon Gage at least acknowledged receipt of my order but Prudential has not even done that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The cheapest service is Registered Mail trough the USPS. I just sent one set of coins and insured them for 7k, only paid 32 bucks. The only issue is that you need a to seal your box with the brown paper tape and not regular tape. >>

Many times USPS Express mail w/ insurance is only a couple of dollars more than Registered. But you need to be able to fit everything into a flat rate envelope for it to be worthwhile I believe. But I'd rather pay $3 or so more and get my stuff there in 1 day vs. the mystery amount Registered takes. I think the max insurance on Express is $5000 though. But for $2-3k or so of insurance, the cost is almost the same. >>

What is the recourse for lost ATBs with Express though? I know this is kind of like beating a dead horse....it has been discussed on these forums before. The following is from USPS:

Money (currency / cash) that is sent through the mail can be insured with the following limits:

Except for Registered Mail, the maximum indemnity for negotiable items (defined as instruments that can be converted to cash without resort to forgery), currency, or bullion, is $15.00
    For Registered Mail™ , cash can be insured up to $25,000. For amounts over $25,000, the full value must be declared but the maximum insured value is $25,000

Seems to me that there are some blurry lines between bullion and numismatic merchandise with the ATBs...... The safest option for these would be registered mail based on what I'm seeing here.

What do you guys think?

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Many times USPS Express mail w/ insurance is only a couple of dollars more than Registered. But you need to be able to fit everything into a flat rate envelope for it to be worthwhile I believe. But I'd rather pay $3 or so more and get my stuff there in 1 day vs. the mystery amount Registered takes. I think the max insurance on Express is $5000 though. But for $2-3k or so of insurance, the cost is almost the same. >>

What is the recourse for lost ATBs with Express though? I know this is kind of like beating a dead horse....it has been discussed on these forums before. The following is from USPS:

Money (currency / cash) that is sent through the mail can be insured with the following limits:

Except for Registered Mail, the maximum indemnity for negotiable items (defined as instruments that can be converted to cash without resort to forgery), currency, or bullion, is $15.00
    For Registered Mail™ , cash can be insured up to $25,000. For amounts over $25,000, the full value must be declared but the maximum insured value is $25,000

Seems to me that there are some blurry lines between bullion and merchandise with the ATBs...... The safest option for these would be registered mail based on what I'm seeing here.

What do you guys think? >>

Send it Express and quit worrying about it anyway!! I've used Express for 10 years, never an issue.....
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

Send it Express and quit worrying about it anyway!! I've used Express for 10 years, never an issue..... >>

I will ship express to get my order to PCGS before May 1 as I have vouchers. I just can't believe how many times I've encountered Murphey's Law with these coins already!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seems to me that there are some blurry lines between bullion and merchandise with the ATBs...... The safest option for these would be registered mail based on what I'm seeing here.

Send it Express and quit worrying about it anyway!! I've used Express for 10 years, never an issue..... >>

i recently used express at the request(and extra shipping fees that the buyer offered) that took 3 days and the buyer was pizzed!!!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

i recently used express at the request(and extra shipping fees that the buyer offered) that took 3 days and the buyer was pizzed!!! >>

You get your money back if it's not del'd on time. Hope you got your $$ back!!
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to the Mint web site as a dry run for Thursday. The 2010 Hot Springs is shown with the date 4/28/2011. The date is clickable, so I did. It opens a "Remind Me" small window where you can sign up for an email reminder. The main wording in this window is: "Available on April 28, 2011 at 12:00 noon (ET)."

How many of you will be signed on and ready to buy a little before noon on Thursday?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file