Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    This what happens when you get casual using a Radial Arm Saw.....happened years ago and it toned after years of reminding me to pay attention to what I am doing...

• Options
    Those are some of the coolest "Modified Coins" I have seen image
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Post mint damage I presumeimage
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the best way to crack open slabs and will these large ones pose any special problems. Thanks >>

I can do 4-5 at a time with this tool.

Make sure the all Slabs are all facing same direction if you do more than one at a time.

If you have 1 that is flipped opposite the others in the middle of a stack you get this.

image >>

I sure hope that wasn't a 2008.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    LOL, nope, it was a 2006 W Unc Burnished at a time when it mattered ;>
  • Options
    That Morgan did tone out nice!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL, nope, it was a 2006 W Unc Burnished at a time when it mattered ;> >>

Ouch, it still matters!
  • Options
    This thread is vearing OT again..... back to complaining about APs, others greed, nice people and warm puppies. image
  • Options

I agree, time to put this baby to sleep!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I have a question for those of you that bought from Dillon Gage. Wednesday I faxed a special order form to them, and yesterday morning sent them a money wire. How long does it take for them to notify you of their receipt of form and payment?
    I wasn't going to buy these, but I decided, "What the heck". If you do a dollar cost averaging, it's not too bad. >>

2 wire orders sent on April 12. One received email conf and tracking by Sat/Sun, one received nothing.
    Both were delivered I believe the 20th. Have reports on other orders in which cchecks were mailed in approx April 6/7, and so far nothing...
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>LOL, nope, it was a 2006 W Unc Burnished at a time when it mattered ;> >>

Ahhh, the very rare error and likely a POP-1 2006-W Burnished image
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question for those of you that bought from Dillon Gage. Wednesday I faxed a special order form to them, and yesterday morning sent them a money wire. How long does it take for them to notify you of their receipt of form and payment?
    I wasn't going to buy these, but I decided, "What the heck". If you do a dollar cost averaging, it's not too bad. >>

Good luck with the graded set from NGC I sent in the paperwork and thankfully epcjimi1 talked me down.Its crazy they will get away with selling out those for the 1159 but I guess it really doesn't matter anymore. Finally opened my fidelitrade box and was surprised they all look very good. Done with these and moving onto the next ones. Good luck to all who are thinking of collecting the series, my guess is the ap's now know after experimenting and any new releases will be picked to death. Any reports of 69dm from jack yet? didn't think so..................Enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭
    Is DG still selling raw sets?? I can't get their website to come up this morning???
  • Options
    Just checked and website came up for me and the order form is still there.
  • Options

<< <i>

Good luck with the graded set from NGC I sent in the paperwork and thankfully epcjimi1 talked me down.Its crazy they will get away with selling out those for the 1159 but I guess it really doesn't matter anymore. Finally opened my fidelitrade box and was surprised they all look very good. Done with these and moving onto the next ones. Good luck to all who are thinking of collecting the series, my guess is the ap's now know after experimenting and any new releases will be picked to death. Any reports of 69dm from jack yet? didn't think so..................Enjoyimage >>

Im thinking a 69DMPL from that AP will be the rarest coin of the series. That is included in a regular set of 5 to the average joe,Sure they have many in the vault. If they have an elevator it plays carnival music,I apologies in advance to all carnies out there.
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    I apologize for the large images.....

I thought I'd post some pics of PCGS 68 vs. 69 coins for Lightrender3D and anyone else interested. These are not real easy to photograph--lots of reflective fields--but hopefully it will help.

Both are PL. I am no expert on grading but I marked what I thought were a few problem spots on both coins. A better comparison would be coins of the same type and lower grades, but I don't have graded versions of those kicking around. The few DMPLs I've seen have far less die polish on the Washington side.

Hotsprings MS68PL (Note that the mark by the "N" in Springs is a hair or piece of plastic)

Mount Hood MS69PL (Note that the scratch above "Liberty" is on the slab.)

Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I apologize for the large images..... I thought I'd post some pics of PCGS 68 vs. 69 coins for Lightrender3D and the rest of the folks asking. These are not real easy to photograph, lots of reflective fields, but hopefully it will help. Both are PL. I am no expert on grading but I marked what I thought were a few problem spots on both coins. A better comparison would be coins of the same type and lower grades, but I don't have graded versions of those kicking around. The few DMPLs I've seen have far less die polish on the Washington side. Hotsprings MS68PL (Note that the mark by the "N" in Springs is a hair or piece of plastic) >>

Holy, moly!!! That's some wicked die polish on both of those! I guess it's a good indicator that die polish doesn't affect the grade, although who is to say they would have gone DMPL without the die polish on the obverse. How are the mirrors on the reverses? DMPL? PL? Both sides have to be DMPL or it will get downgraded to PL or less...

I didn't recopy the images to keep the page loading under control...image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the JHCBs in just 3 minutes ago. Took the day off, just to relax, and all of a sudden the FedEx Home Delivery truck shows up and rings the bell.
    Hadn't gotten any notice that anything was due, except the wife is still waiting for a late delivery for my birthday gift from last week (she procrastinates and whatever she ordered is very slow).

Noticed a small box from Kenmore, NY. JHCB.

Thanks to Coinboy's informative update a few days back, I shook the box. Heard a little shaking going on inside....like a box in a box.
    Now, I have received 4 sets today so far and this is the first set I have ever opened to look at (opened 1 set but kept it within the bubblewrap as I transferred the contents to something easier to ship to the purchaser......I had sold it "unopened" and so I took that seriously in that I wouldn't even look at them).

Well, first time I have held the slabs as well. Large, obviously, but smaller than I thought they would be.
    In alphabetical order, here is what I received:

(all FS)
    Grand Canyon - PCGS MS68PL
    Hot Springs - PCGS M68DMPL (gotta admit, this looks better in a larger size than the actual quarter does)
    Mount Hood - PCGS MS68PL
    Yellowstone - PCGS MS68DMPL
    Yosemite - PCGS GEM BU (Some hits in the date appear to be the reason it was GEM BU'ed, though I must be missing something else as they aren't that bad, imho)

So, now I have to decide....keep for a bit, or flip right away. Gotta admit, I like them better than I though, particularly in the PCGS plastic (rather than raw....if they were raw, I would try flipping them like a coin...heads/tails...and probably sprain my thumb image ).

I still have the Apmex coming...supposed to be PCGS there as well....but no grade, right? Mine are still in "Vault B" but I did call them to make sure there were no problems with the order, yesterday, as I paid with a CC and thought they would ship sooner (no go on that it appears), and they said all was well and all the sets were in "Vault B"...which is just a storage spot.

So, Coinboy, THANK YOU for your forum update on the different packaging that JHCB did with these....the weight on the package did also say "2.0lbs", but felt heavier, and, without your post about this, I honestly would have left it unopened and just sold it that way.

Thanks for sharing!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I apologize for the large images..... I thought I'd post some pics of PCGS 68 vs. 69 coins for Lightrender3D and the rest of the folks asking. These are not real easy to photograph, lots of reflective fields, but hopefully it will help. Both are PL. I am no expert on grading but I marked what I thought were a few problem spots on both coins. A better comparison would be coins of the same type and lower grades, but I don't have graded versions of those kicking around. The few DMPLs I've seen have far less die polish on the Washington side. Hotsprings MS68PL (Note that the mark by the "N" in Springs is a hair or piece of plastic) >>

Holy, moly!!! That's some wicked die polish on both of those! I guess it's a good indicator that die polish doesn't affect the grade, although who is to say they would have gone DMPL without the die polish on the obverse. How are the mirrors on the reverses? DMPL? PL? Both sides have to be DMPL or it will get downgraded to PL or less...

I didn't recopy the images to keep the page loading under control...image >>

The reverses are pretty clear of die polish. (The photos and lighting may have accentuated the die polish to some degree too). They might have gone DMPL had the Obverses been die-polish clear.

Here is an obverse from a GC 69DMPL. Unfortunately, the obverse was taken under different lighting conditions, but the lack of die polish compared to the others is quite striking.

• Options
    Way to go!!!!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Holy, moly!!! That's some wicked die polish on both of those! I guess it's a good indicator that die polish doesn't affect the grade, although who is to say they would have gone DMPL without the die polish on the obverse. How are the mirrors on the reverses? DMPL? PL? Both sides have to be DMPL or it will get downgraded to PL or less...

I didn't recopy the images to keep the page loading under control...image >>

That die polish is nothing. I have a few that look like they were attacked with a Brillo pad.

Pucks without die polish are amazing to look at. There's a huge difference in reflectivity. Maybe I'll try posting images of a die polish free coin this weekend unless someone else beats me to it.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! What a difference.

Makes me want some DMPL juice.

Thanks for the photos PinkFloyd! Waiting on my JH fix.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Thank you Pinkfloyd!

So I can see that as long as its very very minor and one or 2 marks on a coin, I can still get it graded as a 69. That's very helpful. Anyone have images of a 67 and a 66 Coin? WOuld be helpful too!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread is vearing OT again..... back to complaining about APs, others greed, nice people and warm puppies. image >>

Who's complaining about warm puppies????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I received my Prudential order forms back yesterday in a body bag.
    I hadn't signed next to the By: line - just printed my name. OK I'm an idiot.
    And I sent a copy of my passport, not driver's license. Their order page said "government issued photo ID" so I think that's BS.
    Anyway, I packed up a now compliant (hopefully) set of forms and will send it out today (regular mail, not express.)
    If I miss out, well, I've accumulated too many of these anyway.
    I have a feeling they must be rejecting a lot of orders.
  • Options
    My PB forms are going out today. Couldn't resist any longer. Set number 12. Should be enough I think. Now Come on PUCKS. BABY needs NEW SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>I apologize for the large images.....

I thought I'd post some pics of PCGS 68 vs. 69 coins for Lightrender3D and anyone else interested. These are not real easy to photograph--lots of reflective fields--but hopefully it will help.

Both are PL. I am no expert on grading but I marked what I thought were a few problem spots on both coins. A better comparison would be coins of the same type and lower grades, but I don't have graded versions of those kicking around. The few DMPLs I've seen have far less die polish on the Washington side.

Hotsprings MS68PL (Note that the mark by the "N" in Springs is a hair or piece of plastic)

Mount Hood MS69PL (Note that the scratch above "Liberty" is on the slab.)

>>

Thanks for posting these, it really helps.
    I'm actually kind of surprised with the number of flaws they can have and still make 68/69PL. This gives me a lot of hope that I could have some 69DMPL among my sets.

I had just renewed my NGC membership for the 5 "free" submissions when it came out that NGC was no longer grading PL.
    So what I'm thinking is I'll pick out 5 coins that are clean but not proof like (pretty much describes by AMarks, which look like they were polished with scotch-brite pads) and send them to NGC. Then pick out my best PL to send to PCGS. Haven't submitted to PCGS before so that will be a new adventure.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭
    What is your prediction a Year from now about these ATB pucks? image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    A buddy just called with the results of his Jack Hunt set delivered yesterday.

3 NGC MS69 (YS, YO, GC)
    2 Raw (HS, MH)

I'd take that.
  • Options
    Not sure about the pucks but my prediction for silver one year from now is $94.50. So silver content would be $2400 for a set of pucks. Throw in some numi value and baby's got some new shoes image This is of course my opinion only and not trading advice!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for posting these, it really helps.
    I'm actually kind of surprised with the number of flaws they can have and still make 68/69PL. This gives me a lot of hope that I could have some 69DMPL among my sets.
    >>

No problem! Hopefully the pics help. Keep in mind these were shot through slabs, and the photography kind of accentuated some of the flaws.
  • Options
    Well I was really late to this game but sure have enjoyed the info in this thread.
    Best I can tell Prudential and Dillon Gage are the only ones with these left...correct?
    I sent in an order to Prudential yesterday which should have arrived there this am so have my fingers crossed there are still some left when they get to my form.
    I have never sent in anything to PCGS but think that if I get these I would like to, if they look ok. Could someone share how much it costs to get a set of these graded at PCGS after the membership fee?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    jp297jp297 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Hi all.

Been a lurker (and hopefully learner) in this thread for quite a while. Many many thanks to all for your posts.

Despite a late start and minimal extra capital for collecting, with the help of this thread I eventually was able to get a raw ATB set for my own enjoyment, but more recently this newbie couldn't resist a JH set for bullion near spot…and wound up with three GEM BUs, a Yel-MS68DMPL and a Yos-MS69PL.

Thinking selling might be worth it in my situation - but _zero_ experience. This thread goes way back, but I'd appreciate any comments on current conditions. Are dealers still interested in buying ATBs? eBay for someone with no previous sales? How much of a gamble on prices continuing to decrease as the 2010 numismatics, and 2011 bullion - and can't find it but think I recall someone posting about not too long ago about a bunch of newly reported 69s - all enter the market?

Thanks.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    image jp297! image
    There is a buy-sell-trade forum here for your consideration also.
  • Options

to the

• Options
    Ok. SO now I"m curious how many sets everyone bought. haha.

I've gone through 7 sets now. Sold my very first 1 raw (Which I now realize I shouldn't have since they were very high quality coins) and waiting to grade the rest.

How many did YOU buy?
  • Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok. SO now I"m curious how many sets everyone bought. haha.

I've gone through 7 sets now. Sold my very first 1 raw (Which I now realize I shouldn't have since they were very high quality coins) and waiting to grade the rest.

How many did YOU buy? >>

An even 10 sets for me.

OK... OK, 12 if you count Dad's 2 sets
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options
    Bought 12 sets including 1 MS68 DMPL set from the Bay. My first set was graded at NGC and sold on EBAY. Waiting on APMEX, COins and things and Prudential. Several going in for grading. Rest going into air tites after acetone wash for safe keeping.
  • Options
    10 sets total with two of them still on the way. What a roller coaster!!!
  • Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>10 sets total with two of them still on the way. What a roller coaster!!! >>

Let's flush out the flippers...

How many did you buy,.... .and how many do you still own???? image

I'll admit to having only 5 sets left out of 12
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options

Bought 5 sets/ sold 2 junk sets to local B&M shop($2200) to purchase 2 others that have not arrived yet for a total of 7 sets. Have all 3 sets

that I presently own either graded or at the graders. I did purchase a grand canyon MS 68 DMPL online with my ebay bucks from the 1st

quarter.
  • Options
    Bought 9...sold one early...holding 8 (2 still on the way)
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I bought 2 for my self, put one raw away (MTB, eBay) waiting on Apmex.

Bought 3 with a friend graded and sold one. One set at PCGS and waiting on a CNT set.

Joe
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got my MTB set from eBay in the mail today... haven't seen tons of these so I really don't know what they would grade. They all look PL to me and I'd guess MS68 or so.

What was sort of neat is that my Yosemite coin has a 1/4" long strikethrough right in the middle of the mountain on the reverse. Now I've seen lots of strikethroughs on various denominations of coins and never thought they were anything special. But this one is different. It's the first time I've also seen the material that got between the coin and the die that caused the strikethrough! When I first looked at the coin it looked like a little piece of cardboard or something on the surface of the coin. So I opened the capsule to get it off the coin and immediatly discovered that it was a piece of plastic or rubber on the coin and it was sunk into the coin a couple of millimeters. I'm sure some would get upset about the damage on their big quarter, but I thought it was neat to have the strikethrough and the foreign material retained on the coin. I'd imagine the foreign material rarely stays with smaller sized coins.

• Options
    Anybody get their APMEX set yet?
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody get their APMEX set yet? >>

Mine says order printed ,wating to ship.

Joe
  • Options
    seahawkfanseahawkfan Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Opened another Jack hunt set

yosemite ms68pl fs
    mt hood ms68pl fs
    yellowstone ms68pl fs
    hot springs ms68dmpl fs
    grand canyon ms68 fs
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    5 sets. Sold one, 2 graded, 1 raw still and waiting on one.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i><< 10 sets total with two of them still on the way. What a roller coaster!!! >> Let's flush out the flippers... How many did you buy,.... .and how many do you still own???? I'll admit to having only 5 sets left out of 12 >>

I managed to complete a PCGS MS69 DMPL set that I'm keeping. I've got two sets plus 3 individuals at home or being graded now and two more sets on the way. So I have sold just under half of my total of 10 sets. FWIW, I plan on assembling an MS68 DMPL and an MS69 PL set from the rest and sell what's left, including any 69 DMPLs that come back from grading (I expect a couple). I'll probably sell the 69 PL set, too depending on the market...
  • Options
    I just cant find these on the PCGS services/Fees schedule. How much are these to submit?
    Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file