Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Opened my Jack Hunts..

Yosemite PCGS Gem BU... foriegn substance smeared on it image
    Hot Springs MS 68 DMPL ...
    Grand Canyon MS 68 PL...
    Yellowstone MS 68 DMPL..
    Mount Hood Gem BU ,, horrible coin, worst I have recieved, all scratched, not worth putting in the slab.

Overall I think its a good deal to get the slabs, but the coins are not as good as the grades....
    Kinda like the prettiest girl at a party gets the 68....
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yosemite PCGS Gem BU... foriegn substance smeared on it image

What country?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The only thing good about jack hunt coins is what you can get at the local B&M which last week was $1100 and should be higher by now.

We sure know who not to deal with in the future!
  • Options

<< <i>As this is my first post, I'd like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread (not individually, as that would take about a year image). The information I garnered from reading this thread has helped me to purchase a few ATB sets! image

<< <i>Prudential has got to be returning a large percentage of order forms for "errors." They are certainly not moving these things fast. >>

I spoke to what seemed like a very knowledgeable Prudential rep just yesterday, and he told me their rejection rate is running about 20%. He also told me that their supply of sets is getting very low. Anyone who's on the fence needs to decide quickly - and it's probably best to send in your app. via overnight shipping.

A few other things to consider for those who are still gonna send in their paperwork...

1. On the last page where the application form says "By:", your signature is required.
    2. The address on all forms must match your driver's license AND your personal check.
    3. Send in ALL pages of ALL forms - even the pages you don't have to fill out.
    4. Later, you'll need to pay a separate $65 shipping fee in addition to your original check.

Finally, FWIW, he absolutely guaranteed me that none of the coins have been cherry-picked. >>

Not cherry picked, thats all we wanted, Thats fair and honest, good for them.There are still some out there that are good to deal with. Remember the ones that are NOT and spread the word .
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    CnT update (at least for my order) -

I called because I was getting a bit nervous as I had not heard anything. My order is from the Sat. morning phone ordering session that took place a few seeks ago.

My USPS M.O. was cashed 4/8/11, my order will be packaged next Tuesday afternoon and shipped USPS registered mail on Wednesday. Email notice of shipment will be sent.

Onward through the fog! image
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Found this on another forum...time to get in line?

Apmex 2011 release >>

At this point I can only buy from APMEX if they sell me " MintDirectâ„¢ Sealed Tubes Unopened from Mint".

Apparently they do this for ASE. I believe they do not cherry pick those tubes.

However,

I don't think I can buy raw 5oz from Apmex or Jack Hunt. I think we can be 99% sure they will be cherry picked.

To bad APMEX and Jack Hunt reputations are now shot.

I really hope some of the other AP's step up and give us options.

• Options
    I think the entire way this distribution system has played out is just ridiculous. And now with these graded sets being sent out, it really at least creates the appearance of the APs likely holding back high grades to get a premium profit later.

However, I think it is kind of funny hearing buyers of 3, 4, 5, or 15 sets complain about anything. You were only supposed to get one. You gamed the system, and now you're complaining that the APs are gaming the system. I don't really care that you scored multiples, but the whining is ridiculous.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the entire way this distribution system has played out is just ridiculous. And now with these graded sets being sent out, it really at least creates the appearance of the APs likely holding back high grades to get a premium profit later.

However, I think it is kind of funny hearing buyers of 3, 4, 5, or 15 sets complain about anything. You were only supposed to get one. You gamed the system, and now you're complaining that the APs are gaming the system. I don't really care that you scored multiples, but the whining is ridiculous. >>

. image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    opened both of my jack hunts........................ 6 NGC MS69's & 4 raw (GCx2, HSx2)

nice
  • Options

<< <i>I think the entire way this distribution system has played out is just ridiculous. And now with these graded sets being sent out, it really at least creates the appearance of the APs likely holding back high grades to get a premium profit later.

However, I think it is kind of funny hearing buyers of 3, 4, 5, or 15 sets complain about anything. You were only supposed to get one. You gamed the system, and now you're complaining that the APs are gaming the system. I don't really care that you scored multiples, but the whining is ridiculous. >>

I disagree 100%. No where was there any rule that you were supposed to only deal with one AP and one set. So not gaming the system to have ordered from all 9 AP's. Sure didn't take any sets away from anyone who wanted one. Even APMEX took a few days to sell out. To put buying multiple sets in the same realm as what some of these AP's did is what is ridiculous
  • Options

<< <i>Your a better man than me Miles. I have nothing but disdain and envy for those folks that rcvd those. Unless of course the ones I got grade out with a few 69's. Have 3 JH sets. Actually waiting on acetone to get them all out but what I have seen have been DMPL. >>

Always be glad of heart and of vibe when someone hits a Lottery, even if you tried and missed.

Such a gain is only won by Providence, not from gaming the System.

I never expected PCGS First Strike graded ATBs, especially a group that included a Yosemite MS69PL!

This happened after opening (just hours earlier) a first JHCB set (bought unopened on BST) with bubble-wrapped Coins made worse from JHCB packaging.

When I got the second set a few hours later and I was just going to throw it up on EBay, unopened because I expected anothe 5 duds. (Bochiman can vouch for me on that !)

Curiosity got the best of me and it yielded a wonderful payback that made more people look thru their own un-opened units and by-gosh they hit the Lottery, too!

We all work together here for a win.

I can't tell you enough about the 10s of thousands of dollars made in the last 5 years since I joined just from the information posted from members on these threads!

2006 W Coins (Plat, Gold, Silver), The Buff series, Coin Covers, ...........it goes on and on. Every year you can score on 2-5 Mint issues if you are 'listening' to the collective members who post.

and this is just a hobby for me!

(From each according to his ability, to each according to his need? Whelp, not quite........)
  • Options

<< <i>opened both of my jack hunts........................ 6 NGC MS69's & 4 raw (GCx2, HSx2)

nice >>

imageimage
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well put CoinBoy! Eloquent as usual.

And thanks for taking the JH plunge as I agree much as been learned here by listening and responding.

Congrats CoinCoins!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Wowzers, Now those boxes had to weigh more with those jumbo NGC slabs...image

And as usual Bill is spot on, information sharing rocks, and lots of great times from the forumsimage
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just opened my Jack Hunts:

Hot Springs - PCGS GEM BU FS
    Yellowstone - PCGS MS68 DMPL FS
    Yosemite - PCGS MS69 PL FS
    Grand Canyon - PCGS GEM BU FS
    Mt. Hood - PCGS MS68 PL FS

I am very confused. Looking on ebay, I see:

PCGS GEM BU FS
    PCGS Choice BU FS
    PCGS BU FS
    (And using MS-68 as an example):
    PCGS MS-68 FS
    PCGS MS-68 PL FS
    PCGS MS-68 DMPL FS

Which ones were pre-screened?

Which ones should be re-graded and which ones should not?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762

<< <i>I just opened my Jack Hunts:

Hot Springs - PCGS GEM BU FS
    Yellowstone - PCGS MS68 DMPL FS
    Yosemite - PCGS MS69 PL FS
    Grand Canyon - PCGS GEM BU FS
    Mt. Hood - PCGS MS68 PL FS

I am very confused. Looking on ebay, I see:

PCGS GEM BU FS
    PCGS Choice BU FS
    PCGS BU FS
    (And using MS-68 as an example):
    PCGS MS-68 FS
    PCGS MS-68 PL FS
    PCGS MS-68 DMPL FS

Which ones were pre-screened?

Which ones should be re-graded and which ones should not?image >>

Yose 69PL...nice! As far as grading...how do they look? Fortunately, you have several 68s and a 69 to compare them to. My personal feeling is that they had everything less than 68 slabbed as some sort of BU so those ungraded pieces are very likely not worth grading.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    I"m tempted to have every ATB Coin I have graded just so I have a point of reference in the future as to what coins might grade as when I submit future ATB coins. I have 6 sets, 3 of which I know are all 68+ grades, 1 set is probably 66+, and the last 2 are still incoming from JH which I"m sure will be a mix of good things. hehe. I'll be quite happy if I can get a 68 DM set out of all of this.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set Jmski!

I have nothing but raw, so far. My JH set is set to arrive soon, though!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>I"m tempted to have every ATB Coin I have graded just so I have a point of reference in the future as to what coins might grade as when I submit future ATB coins. I have 6 sets, 3 of which I know are all 68+ grades, 1 set is probably 66+, and the last 2 are still incoming from JH which I"m sure will be a mix of good things. hehe. I'll be quite happy if I can get a 68 DM set out of all of this. >>

My unprofessional two cents is that it's not worth submitting anything less than a 68. I'd recommend cherrypicking your collection for 69s or coins on the fence between 69 and 68. This way, you'll get a collection back that are probably 68/69 and they will all carry at least a small premium over raw. Of course, easier said than done if you haven't seen any graded coins. Perhaps go through ebay and try to find some decent pics --and if I'm motived I might shoot a 68 and 69 later and post.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I"m tempted to have every ATB Coin I have graded just so I have a point of reference in the future as to what coins might grade as when I submit future ATB coins. I have 6 sets, 3 of which I know are all 68+ grades, 1 set is probably 66+, and the last 2 are still incoming from JH which I"m sure will be a mix of good things. hehe. I'll be quite happy if I can get a 68 DM set out of all of this. >>

My unprofessional two cents is that it's not worth submitting anything less than a 68. I'd recommend cherrypicking your collection for 69s or coins on the fence between 69 and 68. This way, you'll get a collection back that are probably 68/69 and they will all carry at least a small premium over raw. >>

The problem is I don't know what constitutes a 68 or a 69. I know that any obvious coin that has no marks whatsover to the naked eye is probably a 69. But what if there's a tiny light scratch? Is it still a 69? If its a deeper more noticable scratch does it become a 68? I don't know. >.< I was on ebay the other day and saw an MS 69 DMPL with high quality photos and I could see a very light scratch across the reverse and more then usual "Bristle pad" scratches on the obverse across Washi's neck and it was still a 69. So I don't know! lol. I need references. >.<

Would be nice if someone would submit high quality photos to give us a reference of what's borderline 69 and what's borderline 68. etc.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>However, I think it is kind of funny hearing buyers of 3, 4, 5, or 15 sets complain about anything. You were only supposed to get one. You gamed the system, and now you're complaining that the APs are gaming the system. I don't really care that you scored multiples, but the whining is ridiculous. >>

I guess you are a little late to the party. No whining here. Everyone just plays by the rules.

The rules stipulate the AP's can only make 10% over original cost from the USM and can only add a reasonable ship/delivery/service charge. That means a set price of around 930-1000 bucks.

Not 1159.

The DG offering of 1159 is not in line with USM rules.

I dont care. Just pointing it out. I have enough sets.
  • Options
    Lightrender, I edited my above post, but I have a 68 and 69 kicking around that I will try to take images of a little later.
  • Options
    **Here are Perfect Examples** for working together by sharing information:

MilesWaits

Casman

jmski52

COINB0Y

We all joined around the same time.

We all joined independently from one another.

We all JUST posted on this 20 Posts/page of a 13000+ Thread.

We all have participated together over the last 5 years in making money with Mint issues using info from the PCGS Coin Forum!

There are many others who joined at the same time that I didn't list whom are also part of the same group who joined around the end of 2006.

As Casman mentioned to me in a PM a few days ago, there is a whole new batch of members who have joined in the last few months that are helping to drive the Thread!

Way to go, everyone! image
  • Options

<< <i>Lightrender, I edited my above post, but I have a 68 and 69 kicking around that I will try to take images of a little later. >>

Thanks Mr. Floyd, would be most helpful!
  • Options
    To repeat what many others have said, thanks for the info provided in this thread - it turned into my primary source for ATB information.

Adding to the JH information, I just received my set:

Yellowstone MS68 DMPL
    Hot Springs MS68 DMPL
    Mount Hood MS68 PL
    Yosemite MS68 PL
    Grand Canyon Gem BU

The next step is to use these as a reference to determine which of my others should be graded: now I can see the difference between DMPL and PL and I have a reference for MS 68 vs worse (and better).

• Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I started about that time too ... its been a lot of fun and I learned a LOT of things here rather than the hard way on ebay.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    McPwnded! Joined: May 2002

ok, the first 6 years were all cardboard image (Except the halcyon days of the Open Forum...that was one wild saloon in its heyday.)

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Puck silver melt value now at $1164.75 (46.59 x 25). Jumping thru those Prudential hoops seems inconsequential now! Prudential left a message today with my new account number and said my order was good to go and as soon as my check clears I'd be hearing from their shipper about shipment. He also mentioned the pucks were in sealed boxes waiting to be opened. Guess they are stressing the fact their pucks are not cherrypicked. We'll see!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you know there is speeding and reckless driving.

The point is there are different severities of wrong doing.

a few sets out the back door to friends or good customers? eh. it happens.

supplying HSN and CSN? these guys forcing graded sets upon bullion buying people at prices that include the grading costs? Why did they think they needed to have any of these bullion coins graded?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I never expected PCGS First Strike graded ATBs, especially a group that included a Yosemite MS69PL!

This happened after opening (just hours earlier) a first JHCB set (bought unopened on BST) with bubble-wrapped Coins made worse from JHCB packaging.

When I got the second set a few hours later and I was just going to throw it up on EBay, unopened because I expected anothe 5 duds. (Bochiman can vouch for me on that !)

Curiosity got the best of me and it yielded a wonderful payback that made more people look thru their own un-opened units and by-gosh they hit the Lottery, too!
    >>

Yep....I had some PMs from Coinboy when he got the 1st JH set, and, knowing that I was going to receive one sometime soon, told me how they were inside the box and that I should sell mine unopened on ebay or just as bullion, as he was looking to do the same. Then, a few hours later, I get the same message that he posted in this thread....that some of the boxes had graded examples.

Coinboy didn't even think twice...he was on here posting his information share so that others could benefit image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Puck silver melt value now at $1164.75 (46.59 x 25). Jumping thru those Prudential hoops seems inconsequential now! Prudential left a message today with my new account number and said my order was good to go and as soon as my check clears I'd be hearing from their shipper about shipment. He also mentioned the pucks were in sealed boxes waiting to be opened. Guess they are stressing the fact their pucks are not cherrypicked. We'll see! >>

How long ago did you send in your paperwork? I was just wondering the turnaround on these.
    Thank-You!
  • Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    Someone (not me) took a shellacking today......

Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Puck silver melt value now at $1164.75 (46.59 x 25). Jumping thru those Prudential hoops seems inconsequential now! Prudential left a message today with my new account number and said my order was good to go and as soon as my check clears I'd be hearing from their shipper about shipment. He also mentioned the pucks were in sealed boxes waiting to be opened. Guess they are stressing the fact their pucks are not cherrypicked. We'll see! >>

How long ago did you send in your paperwork? I was just wondering the turnaround on these.
    Thank-You! >>

They rec'd my order on the 14th. Although my check has yet to show cashed at my bank. Probably tomorrow it will hit.
  • Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    Hate to say it, but I think I forgot to send a copy of my drivers license with my Prudential order. Can't really complain tho...two sets are already at PCGS, one at Dad's and one on the way here.
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options

<< <i>Someone (not me) took a shellacking today......

image >>

Could be trying for the only known set of 65DMPL...instant rarity!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thank-You! >>

They rec'd my order on the 14th. Although my check has yet to show cashed at my bank. Probably tomorrow it will hit. >>

Thanks!
  • Options
    EDIT: images too large!!
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got this email reply from A-Mark:

At the moment, we do not think we will be selling the 2011 ATB to the general public. However, you are registered on our website so if we do sell them you will get an email letting you know when they will be available from us.

Thank you,

A-Mark Direct

It doesn't look good for buying direct from them.

• Options
    A couple of comments - for the benefit of the new arrivals - I can't tell you how invaluable this forum has been in terms of the knowledge, information, analysis, comraderie and market intelligence that's been shared over these few years. It'd be impossible to name all the great contributors without inadvertantly overlooking several. 'Nuf said.

I just noticed a *large* thumbprint on my Jack Hunt Yosemite PCGS MS69PL. Should I send it in? Or crack it out and acetone it?

My Jack Hunt Mt. Hood PCGS MS68PL has milky splotches, one on each side. Should I send it in? Or crack it out and acetone it?

Looking over the graded Jack Hunts that I just received, and comparing them to the grading notations I've made on the other sets I've received - it appears that these will be hard to grade consistantly. There are so many different ways that surface flaws can show up, and the surface area is so large that it is a challenge to keep it all in perspective. Of course, it's easier without looking through plastic.

I'm beginning to lean toward cracking out all of my slabbed Pucks, just to see which ones compare favorably and to figure out which ones have the best chances to grade high and to keep for posterity. Some of the raw Pucks from Fidelitrade, and MTB and the slabbed ones from AMark look pretty good compared to the graded Jack Hunt coins that I just received. I tend to agree with an earlier post by New Contributor *the Dabbler* image - that it might be useful now to compare the graded Pucks to the other sets in order to learn the grading nuances.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    What is the best way to crack open slabs and will these large ones pose any special problems. Thanks
  • Options
    it may be too late for the fingerprint, but you can try to acetone it

the milky spots won't come off with anything that won't remove metal from the coin.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    actually, I'd ask someone familiar with fingerprint removal.

It may be too late, and I'd hate to see you crack it for nothing.

• Options
    What is the best way to crack open slabs and will these large ones pose any special problems. Thanks

I don't know, but if I decide to do it - I plan to try bolt cutters and I will report on the progress I made.

actually, I'd ask someone familiar with fingerprint removal.

It may be too late, and I'd hate to see you crack it for nothing.

I don't know if anything good can ever come from a big fat thumbprint on the mirror field & rim above "UNUM". If it's skin oils, they will eventually form acids as they start to age. It's a large fingerprint but it's pretty light, so maybe it'll turn out ok.

the milky spots won't come off with anything that won't remove metal from the coin.

I've never seen an ASE with milk spots, so I'm unsure whether or not this is the same thing. They might be some type of rinse spots, but I really don't see how PCGS could've overlooked these things. Under the circumstances I don't see much downside in trying to conserve it. Who knows, the stuff might not be the typical milk spot stuff.

One bit of education I see from my Jack Hunt coins is a pretty clear distinction between BU, Prooflike, and Deep Mirror Prooflike. Even I can see it.image

I would describe DMPL as a clean strike having mirror fields with a total lack of die polish.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the best way to crack open slabs and will these large ones pose any special problems. Thanks >>

I can do 4-5 at a time with this tool.

Make sure the all Slabs are all facing same direction if you do more than one at a time.

If you have 1 that is flipped opposite the others in the middle of a stack you get this.

• Options

<< <i>What is the best way to crack open slabs and will these large ones pose any special problems. Thanks >>

Wizard coin supply sells a tool for cracking slabs, but I have no experience with it at all.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We all have participated together over the last 5 years in making money with Mint issues using info from the PCGS Coin Forum! >>

image so what's the next project? image 2011 proof gold eagles?

shame on me for ignoring what the mint has been up to..! i made some decent profit off of these ATB's.... THANK YOU FOR THE TIP, FORUM imageimageimage

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We all have participated together over the last 5 years in making money with Mint issues using info from the PCGS Coin Forum! >>

image so what's the next project? image 2011 proof gold eagles?

shame on me for ignoring what the mint has been up to..! i made some decent profit off of these ATB's.... THANK YOU FOR THE TIP, FORUM imageimageimage

image >>

Ditto, but I honestly think we should also thank Apmex as I firmly believe it was their early, publicized, greed on the price to the public that made this all possible image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I have a question for those of you that bought from Dillon Gage. Wednesday I faxed a special order form to them, and yesterday morning sent them a money wire. How long does it take for them to notify you of their receipt of form and payment?
    I wasn't going to buy these, but I decided, "What the heck". If you do a dollar cost averaging, it's not too bad.
  • Options
    Just had to be 14, 000

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file