Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>DG received my wire on the 11th and prud received my check the 18th and have not cashed it yet. No word of any kind from them.

What a bunch of idiots.

I guess we all know who to deal with in the future from all the fiasco's we have witnessed.

Most of them don't want our business anyway. We are just chicken feed to them. Well they are chicken ---- to us also. >>

Hey, that blows...I didn't order with DG but 2 of my buddies did, wired I think the 12th, both received last week either wed or thurs via usps, one got an email with tracking, the other just showed up...My associate sent a check during the earlier phone call list thing and he mailed it in as instructed and nothing...Absolutely ridiculous...CNT did tell me two week wait before shipping so I figure anytime now...
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's one for the conspiracy theorists: APMEX is buying sets on the open market so that when their huge graded batch comes back from PCGS, they can swap out all the DMPL 69s and replace them with inferior ones that they bought on the open market. They will still be fulfilling their mint directive, but the workaround allows them to cherry-pick the best out of the batch. Now we know why they delayed getting the rest out for so long... >>

Didnt APMEX sell the sets showing pictures of slabbed PCGS sets? If so, they cant send you raw crap that they
    are buying now. But yes, if nobody gets any 69s then we'll know whats going on. Its all a calculation: piss off a few folks around here that can figure this stuff out, but gain a bunch of new clients that dont know any better. >>

Their pic and description said PCGS grade Choice BU like Amark, same packaging as Amark too.

I do not think they will be picked over.

Joe
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the 69 DMPL Yo buyers were giving $2000 for recently??
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Their pic and description said PCGS grade Choice BU like Amark, same packaging as Amark too. I do not think they will be picked over. Joe >>

Joe,

The order confirmation from APMEX describes them as "Brilliant Uncirculated or Better!" (the exclamation point is APMEX's). This might lead one to think that they are being graded - maybe anything 68 and above gets a numeric grade, anything below 68 gets a "BU"...

• Options
    I had called the mint and stated that one of there AP`s were sending out graded and ungraded ATB`s, but none seemed to be of high quality, I felt this was not fair trading and did not feel that was what the mint wanted of there AP`s. This was last week ,They called back today wondering what I called about. I told him WHO WHAT WHEN AND WHERE, once I mentioned the AP name and ATB he seemed to no longer care, Not sure reporting to the mint did any good or he had all the info he needed on this AP. GO FIGURE
  • Options

<< <i>Is this the 69 DMPL Yo buyers were giving $2000 for recently?? >>

Coulda been, but recently in this market changes fast...after Ebay fees, these have dipped $800 range...MCM, however has only 1 at this price. If I bought it, suddenly the other 300 would hit ebay at 400 eachimage
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Their pic and description said PCGS grade Choice BU like Amark, same packaging as Amark too. I do not think they will be picked over. Joe >>

Joe,

The order confirmation from APMEX describes them as "Brilliant Uncirculated or Better!" (the exclamation point is APMEX's). This might lead one to think that they are being graded - maybe anything 68 and above gets a numeric grade, anything below 68 gets a "BU"...

image >>

Hoping for the best, image Joe

• Options

<< <i>I had called the mint and stated that one of there AP`s were sending out graded and ungraded ATB`s, but none seemed to be of high quality, I felt this was not fair trading and did not feel that was what the mint wanted of there AP`s. This was last week ,They called back today wondering what I called about. I told him WHO WHAT WHEN AND WHERE, once I mentioned the AP name and ATB he seemed to no longer care, Not sure reporting to the mint did any good or he had all the info he needed on this AP. GO FIGURE >>

Has anyone heard anything about the mint looking into or following up on any of the numerous complaints/tips we have given them? Other than inital response to APMEX at the start of the ATB sales, I have not heard or seen any stories about the mint loking into any of the APs for some of the backdoor deals that occured.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I had called the mint and stated that one of there AP`s were sending out graded and ungraded ATB`s, but none seemed to be of high quality, I felt this was not fair trading and did not feel that was what the mint wanted of there AP`s. This was last week ,They called back today wondering what I called about. I told him WHO WHAT WHEN AND WHERE, once I mentioned the AP name and ATB he seemed to no longer care, Not sure reporting to the mint did any good or he had all the info he needed on this AP. GO FIGURE >>

Has anyone heard anything about the mint looking into or following up on any of the numerous complaints/tips we have given them? Other than inital response to APMEX at the start of the ATB sales, I have not heard or seen any stories about the mint loking into any of the APs for some of the backdoor deals that occured. >>

Just me see above They didn't seem to want to ask any questions.After I mentioned the AP`s name And the ATB coins the conversation ended very quickly???
  • Options

Would be nice to see the JH dmpls....... i mean a yellowstone dmpl69 show up at that price. image
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I think its safe to say that none of the AP's would knowingly do anything to risk their distributorship. The ATB's are a drop in the bucket compared to the total business each does with the U.S Mint. In my opinion, they either got an "ok" to sell slabbed coins or their lawyers told them to do it because the USM at no recourse. It's hard for the mint to give any priority to complaints from people who have been sold goods at below what they can immediately sell them for. The USM also probably passively accepts some responsibility for botching the entire release from the start without anticipating the problems that would ensue. JMHO.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Concerning APMEX, by buddies are supposed to ship tomorrow.

Apmex must be confident they have sold all their sets per the Mint rules, only after they have done that can they buy and trade.

This, then is good.

First, they have sold all their coins.

Second, we have a big buyer willing to put up money for these, even if it's $50 oz, which is less per oz than they are selling ASE's. None the less a buyer is a buyer.

I mean it's a good thing when you can buy something for $1000 and sell it back to the business the next day for $250 more. image
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, what am I missing in this monster thread. I've neglected it for some time now. Are we at a posting record or what?

Don't forget to sign up for my giveaway in the giveaway forum.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Coulda been, but recently in this market changes fast...after Ebay fees, these have dipped $800 range...MCM, however has only 1 at this price. If I bought it, suddenly the other 300 would hit ebay at 400 eachimage >>

The 10 coins that I sold for scrap silver in Albuquerque looked much better than that coin does!

Maybe I am being too fussy in my grading.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so, what am I missing in this monster thread. I've neglected it for some time now. Are we at a posting record or what?

Don't forget to sign up for my giveaway in the giveaway forum. >>

The biggest thing is to catch up on who is sold out (and who potentially sold out)

I think everyone but Prudential is sold out.

DG sold out, then put 155 PCGS sets up for sale. I'm not sure if they are sold out.

Coins n Things cancelled their ATB specific web site, so I guess they are sold out too. I haven't exactly been calling them to ask.

On the other hand, from the info in this thread, the rest of the APs are sold out.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    [The 10 coins that I sold for scrap silver in Albuquerque looked much better than that coin does!

Maybe I am being too fussy in my grading. >>

Stock photo's and the lines over Washington are on the plastic. Most of these coins have been received with scratchy plastic.

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options

<< <i>What is everyone send these puck to PCGS in? flips? air-tights? what. >>

Put another way, has anyone submitted to PCGS in the just the bubble envelopes used by some APs (no filp, no capsule) and had them accepted by PCGS?
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What is everyone send these puck to PCGS in? flips? air-tights? what. >>

Put another way, has anyone submitted to PCGS in the just the bubble envelopes used by some APs (no filp, no capsule) and had them accepted by PCGS? >>

That's what I did, but then again flips were't available at the time.
  • Options

Mine were all sent in in holders as I didn't want them in contact with anything.
  • Options
    5 of each design submitted

25 coins total

1 single 69DMPL -- Yosemite

3 68DMPLs - Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Mount Hood

4 69PL - Hot Springs, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon

2 68PL - both Hot Springs,

no plain MS69 nor MS68.

but I got some really low grades on some. I expected that, but I wanted to have them all graded before I send them off to the various niece and nephews. If you see some obscenely low grades show up in the pop reports soon, that's me.

I will combine posts and vent...... I have an express grading package to pick up at the Post Office PCGS! It was there Saturday morning.

That is all.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    The "1 single 69DMPL -- Yosemite" is worth a bundle in itself.

I just received a set - nice coins - no plans to grade.
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    DOH!

Anyone know how to tell if an acetone is a high enough grade for coin dipping? I bought some stuff that looked good from the local paint department to attempt to remove a fingerprint and now I'm running into some residue problems...
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Mine came from Home Depot. The first time I used it I did so without the water bath & occasionally I did have
    some residue "spots". But when using with a double water rinse & blow dryer I had no such problems. Coins
    dried spot free in seconds. As far as the labeling, although it did not say "100% pure", it also did not list any
    additives either.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762

<< <i>Mine came from Home Depot. The first time I used it I did so without the water bath & occasionally I did have
    some residue "spots". But when using with a double water rinse & blow dryer I had no such problems. Coins
    dried spot free in seconds. As far as the labeling, although it did not say "100% pure", it also did not list any
    additives either. >>

Right on. I'm getting more than you're describing. I'll have to try redipping with a different brand.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Klean-Strip was the brand name. It was the only one Home Depot carried.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    don't forget to change your acetone between dippings.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The latest in the JH slabs saga, received today:

YO - MS69PL
    YS - MS68DMPL
    HS - MS68DMPL
    GC - Gem BU
    MH - Gem BU

Both BU's have obvious scuffs/scratches that eliminate high scores.

The YO appears to be borderline DM. Will take sharper eyes than mine to determine.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>don't forget to change your acetone between dippings. >>

Ms, I bet you say that to all the guys...and gals...

It's good advice, no doubt.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    is exactly what they are doing. Be prepared to get some garbage from them as the send you what nobody else wants. They are on the top of my do not deal with list.

The sets they are selling are PCGS First Strike Graded coins. They would have to be buying only the PCGS slabbed from the public to replace. I don't think they can get 2000 PCGS slabs from the public to replace these.
  • Options
    I decided to open my JH Hunt set I received 3 weeks ago. They were all raw and all DMPL/PL similar to my FideliTrades. Didn't see any visible flaws. Glad I opened them. I was going to sell unopened, but they were only going for $1450 for an unopened set. Not worth it. Glad I opened them. My order number was in the low 300s.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many of you are going to sell your 2010 ATB set to Apmex for $1250? Makes an interesting situation... they are currently selling the initial offering for around $950.. and buying back at $1250.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Selling at $100 over melt is not worth it. Just $20 a coin. You would be better to hold long term if you think silver has no where to go but up.
  • Options

I would have liked to have held my 2 sets I sold for scrap but could not afford to buy any more if I did that and decided to spin the wheel and

get 2 more sets that have a chance of grading better so I sold them.
  • Options
    forced to sell at $950. buying back before delivered at $1250. It's no wonder these guys are making us wait, can't be very happy about this. DG isn't having there's slabbed. Whay could possibly take 4-6 weeks unless they just want to make us wait. Well I guess they shot themselves in the foot, they've only gone up.
  • Options

<< <i>Selling at $100 over melt is not worth it. Just $20 a coin. You would be better to hold long term if you think silver has no where to go but up. >>

Do a completed listings search on the sets and you will see the prices starting to creep back up into the $1450 range....I know there are fees involved but the direction is definitely upward...

Also...what is with the price of a PCGS BU FS set??

Looks good
  • Options

<< <i>forced to sell at $950. buying back before delivered at $1250. It's no wonder these guys are making us wait, can't be very happy about this. DG isn't having there's slabbed. Whay could possibly take 4-6 weeks unless they just want to make us wait. Well I guess they shot themselves in the foot, they've only gone up. >>

Most probably they had to have "sold" their sets to the public by yesterday so they could order the 2011's....doesn't mean they have to be delivered anytime soon...they will keep the best graded and substitute the culls that "the public" sells to them at $1250 or the non 69's they get back

Not stupid to buy a set for $1250 to fulfill and order at $1050 if it replaces a 69DMPL set they may get ....smart.....

Wonder how many that said they were "Done with APMEX" after the start of the Puck fiasco jumped on the sets.(I would have also I do admit)...they should NOT be surprised at their antics
  • Options
    I would not dream of selling a set unopened as you just might be giving away a set of DMPL's and wouldn't that just suck.

I cant imagine how I would feel doing that for a couple of hundred dollars.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How many of you are going to sell your 2010 ATB set to Apmex for $1250? Makes an interesting situation... they are currently selling the initial offering for around $950.. and buying back at $1250. >>

Don't forget to calculate fees.

With the ebay fee increase for non store sellers, 9% of sale price up to $100 fee.

So paypal and ebay fee would be around $140. So anything over $1400 on ebay, go with ebay, anything less, sell to apmex.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How many of you are going to sell your 2010 ATB set to Apmex for $1250? Makes an interesting situation... they are currently selling the initial offering for around $950.. and buying back at $1250. >>

Don't forget to calculate fees.

With the ebay fee increase for non store sellers, 9% of sale price up to $100 fee.

So paypal and ebay fee would be around $140. So anything over $1400 on ebay, go with ebay, anything less, sell to apmex. >>

Also, keep in mind it may be better to just do BUYITNOWS as the fees for those are lower for items over 1100.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but some of you folks are thinking very small and narrow-mindedly.
    You are thinking about things on YOUR level as a flipper. Not as a company the size of Apmex.

Do you think that they are willing to trash their reputation by being caught cherrypicking or buying/replacing? I don't.
    They were one of the only APs already selling to the normal retail public. Many on this thread don't like them for how they handled things with the pucks, from start to finish, but I seriously doubt they would try to do what folks are suggesting.

Look at all the silver stuff they deal with. They couldn't make a 2-way market with the pucks until they sold theirs out. Now, they are effectively sold out. They can buy/sell at different prices now. It fits their business model.

I think greed has affected too many people's thinking and ability to see the bigger picture.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if apmex would just keep mine and send me a check for $200?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    I wonder if apmex would just keep mine and send me a check for $200?

Call them and let me know.
  • Options
    I checked with Apmex and you have to have the ATB set in YOUR possession. Crazy, but they will have to first ship to you, then you ship back to them.
    Successful BST transactions with : Moderncoinmart,ebaytrader,ModCrewman,CharlieC,Lightcycler
  • Options

<< <i>I decided to open my JH Hunt set I received 3 weeks ago. They were all raw and all DMPL/PL similar to my FideliTrades. Didn't see any visible flaws. Glad I opened them. I was going to sell unopened, but they were only going for $1450 for an unopened set. Not worth it. Glad I opened them. My order number was in the low 300s. >>

My 3 sets were all very good as well. I opened 3 sets of JH and one Fidelitrade. 12 are going for grading. Eight will be sold off.

• Options

<< <i>I checked with Apmex and you have to have the ATB set in YOUR possession. Crazy, but they will have to first ship to you, then you ship back to them. >>

Not that crazy, if you think about it. If they did that, then folks WOULD REALLY be complaining about the possible shenanigans, right?
    And, they aren't fueling the complete speculation by having folks buy/sell something they don't even possess (which could cause problems in different ways).

So, they sell what they have (or have while it is moving around, which is the case of the pucks) and they expect the same.

Now, I am NOT a big fan of Apmex as I think they bungled A LOT on this, but I do try to remain removed from emotions on things like this, but I see an awful lot of emotions flying about, blind to what is the most likely reason/scenario for some things....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MCADSPECMCADSPEC Posts: 72 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Has anyone heard anything about the mint looking into or following up on any of the numerous complaints/tips we have given them? Other than inital response to APMEX at the start of the ATB sales, I have not heard or seen any stories about the mint loking into any of the APs for some of the backdoor deals that occured. >>

Just me see above They didn't seem to want to ask any questions.After I mentioned the AP`s name And the ATB coins the conversation ended very quickly??? >>

It is very possible that any complaint should contain facts. Everything that I have read about the AP's shenanigans on this forum have lacked any proof and are fired by speculation, rumors and exaggerations. It seems strange to me that the posters on this forum have probably made more money on this mint release than any other mint release ever, but want to continue to bash the APs.
  • Options

<< <i> It seems strange to me that the posters on this forum have probably made more money on this mint release than any other mint release ever, >>

Nah...I think the 20th Annv Silver Eagle sets may have hit that record.....$100 for a set of 3 and some were selling for $5000+ at the onset. image

• Options

<< <i>5 of each design submitted

25 coins total

1 single 69DMPL -- Yosemite

3 68DMPLs - Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Mount Hood

4 69PL - Hot Springs, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon

2 68PL - both Hot Springs,

no plain MS69 nor MS68.

but I got some really low grades on some. I expected that, but I wanted to have them all graded before I send them off to the various niece and nephews. If you see some obscenely low grades show up in the pop reports soon, that's me.

I will combine posts and vent...... I have an express grading package to pick up at the Post Office PCGS! It was there Saturday morning.

That is all. >>

Very generous and a great idea for a gift. Do your nieces and nephews collect or is this just a nice gift for the future?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mine came from Home Depot. The first time I used it I did so without the water bath & occasionally I did have
    additives either. >>

Right on. I'm getting more than you're describing. I'll have to try redipping with a different brand. >>

I forget who on this thread posted it but they used 3 bowls for the acetone dip, two rinses of acetone after the first dip and then the distilled water rinses and blow dry. Seems like a good idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file