Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• SO I know it is a small sample but of the 40 grades reported ON THIS PAGE there are only 4 that are NOT PL or DM. Going from no PL/DM to 90 % just goes along with the whole messed up history of this series. Remember these are the BULLION coins not struck for collectors and they are now all PL or DM's.....How many ASE bullion coins grade Pl/Dm??? Yup...zero (but that's as of today...tomorrow is another day)

Does this mean the coins that are NOT PL/Dm will be the PCGS low pop #'s and the NGC PL/DM will be the low pop coins (as expected).???

Demons...there are demons involved...

I wonder how that dude that forked over 10k for that Pl set feels now....

Edited to add: oops, waited too long..grades were on the previous page
  • RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    My grades are up as well! 2 at 69PL! One at DM! What do you think?

• clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Got grades as well.. it flooded out today.

All Fidelitrade coins.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got my A-mark grades today also

1 1 19312170 506590 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69PL
    2 1 19312171 506591 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69DM
    3 1 19312172 505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68
    4 1 19312173 506586 2010 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67PL
    5 1 19312174 506579 2010 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69DM
    6 1 19312175 506578 2010 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68PL
    7 1 19312176 506575 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68DM
    8 1 19312177 505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69
    9 1 19312178 506582 2010 25C Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68PL
    10 1 19312179 506582 2010 25C Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69PL
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>It is looking like more than 80% of all ATB's are being graded PL or DMPL of any grade. Look at this shared order, only one not PL. >>

That's not how I'd look at it. Most PCGS submitters are experienced and only submit the best of the best. What you are seeing are cherrypicked coins that are deserving of these grades. Just because this thread is full of amateur flippers it doesn't mean the shared orders you are seeing are going to be typical grades for many new submitters. I'd bet in the coming weeks you will see some bad grades posted due to new flippers sending sub par coins in hopes of good grades. PCGS has never been easy on moderns and if you send them crap you will get crap grades!!! >>

Would you say a 66 DMPL is a bad grade? >>

Look at it this way....would YOU want a MS61DMPL morgran or a MS65PL morgan?
    Can't compare the exact grades, since these are coins to be circulated and didn't go through what morgan dollars have, but one has to look at the grade, compared to others, as well as the DMPL/PL designations, but with a large majority of these being 68 and 69, I wouldn't want to hold the low balls. If I had looked at mine for submitting and thought one was a 66, I wouldn't have submitted it (unless they were still going for more in plastic than raw...and enough to make up for the cost of submission)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It is looking like more than 80% of all ATB's are being graded PL or DMPL of any grade. Look at this shared order, only one not PL. >>

That's not how I'd look at it. Most PCGS submitters are experienced and only submit the best of the best. What you are seeing are cherrypicked coins that are deserving of these grades. Just because this thread is full of amateur flippers it doesn't mean the shared orders you are seeing are going to be typical grades for many new submitters. I'd bet in the coming weeks you will see some bad grades posted due to new flippers sending sub par coins in hopes of good grades. PCGS has never been easy on moderns and if you send them crap you will get crap grades!!! >>

Cherrypicked??? I opened the box, looked at the coins for 15 minutes or less, sealed them up & sent them off. I would never have guessed MS69PL on any of them, let alone 4 (and one MS69).
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • The days of $1500 for an MS69PL look to be numbered. Wonder where they'll fall to? I'm guessing $800 or so. We'll see. image
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Cherrypicked??? I opened the box, looked at the coins for 15 minutes or less, sealed them up & sent them off. I would never have guessed MS69PL on any of them, let alone 4 (and one MS69). >>

You got lucky with the set you got! Better thank the Coin gods tonight! image
  • Yes, I received my 2nd A-Mark box today and they are not as good as the 1st five I submitted as far as PL and DM go.
  • terrym280terrym280 Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Sent my brothers set along with mine and got grades today:

Hot Springs MS69DM/MS65DM; Yellowstone MS69PL/MS69PL; Yosemite MS69PL/MS68PL; Grand Canyon MS69DM/MS68; and Mount Hood MS68DM/MS68PL.
    Successful BST Transactions with several members.
  • LOL at these PCGS DM PL grades. If its on practically every coin it becomes redundant and not that special. Think I'll stick with NGC where a PL comes in 5% of the time and actually means something. Not buying the cherry picked nonsense either - people sending whole sets in, not picking and choosing from them.
  • Finally picked up my A-Marks. Best set yet out of 3 Amark sets, with good PL to DMPL surfaces. Hope things don't change before they get there. Come on PCGS 69 DMPL set should be worth $999 by the time they get back. Not selling anyway Grandkids will like to see what quarters looked like when I was a kid, will have to pull out the 2001 buffalos too. This was order 35** also go figure.
  • Need advice...
    I have one set and sold two others. Did not cherry pick as they were all comparable. Looks like I would have one dmpl and two or three pl all but one with 68/69 potential. Though I have no grading experience. I am keeping my remaining set but also like the idea of some of these grades. Is it worth it for me to grade or just keep them raw...I do have them in holders from air-tite.

• << <i>LOL at these PCGS DM PL grades. If its on practically every coin it becomes redundant and not that special. Think I'll stick with NGC where a PL comes in 5% of the time and actually means something. Not buying the cherry picked nonsense either - people sending whole sets in, not picking and choosing from them. >>

Lol sometimes there is no wining, PCGS has a much stricter grading standard than NCG. However based on your opinion, although the coin may merit the PL designation; PCGS should not grant such designation in order to keep a ratio to your liking? Lol
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Well, mine was a cherry picked set of amarks. I'm a little disappointed...

Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69
    Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68PL
    Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68PL
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>Well, mine was a cherry picked set of amarks. I'm a little disappointed...

Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69
    Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68PL
    Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68PL >>

how many sets did you pick over?
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
    I picked over 2 amarks and a fidelitrade ...only 1 was ft
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>

<< <i>LOL at these PCGS DM PL grades. If its on practically every coin it becomes redundant and not that special. Think I'll stick with NGC where a PL comes in 5% of the time and actually means something. Not buying the cherry picked nonsense either - people sending whole sets in, not picking and choosing from them. >>

Lol sometimes there is no wining, PCGS has a much stricter grading standard than NCG. However based on your opinion, although the coin may merit the PL designation; PCGS should not grant such designation in order to keep a ratio to your liking? Lol >>

Well as of a week ago PCGS didn't deem anything to be DMPL - now its common place. My point is DMPL in this context doesn't mean that much anymore and people need to stop thinking of it as such. The market place certainly is not going to place a premium on such coins IMO.

• << <i>I picked over 2 amarks and a fidelitrade ...only 1 was ft >>

You should send in the ones you held back probably 69 DMPL
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are any distributors allowing multiple orders now? Or repeat orders?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Nobody is selling multiples yet but I do believe that if you send in a form to FideliTrade you may be able to still get one. Just pay off a neighbor or relative, that is if you haven't used them all up yet image.
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Has anybody saved the $17 bucks a coin and just sent them into PCGS without getting First Strike since it appears meaningless?
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anybody saved the $17 bucks a coin and just sent them into PCGS without getting First Strike since it appears meaningless? >>

I didn't pay for 1st strike on any of mine. If I ever sell, they can send them back and pay for it.
    It has never meant anything to me to have a 1st strike on any coin. I just don't care for it that much.
  • RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077

<< <i>Well as of a week ago PCGS didn't deem anything to be DMPL - now its common place... >>

I disagree. I got one DMPL out of my submission of 5 A-Mark pieces and the other 5 I'm holding don't have a chance at DMPL.

PL looks to be common though.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My PCGS grades are here too... did I hit the jackpot?

image >>

Ah, let me see, that would be a great, big, huge YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Well done! Congrats image

Was this one set? The best of more than one cherry-picked? Thanks.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>

<< <i>So PCGS is opening the flood gates on the PL and DMs and NGC it looks like they have closed theirs. >>

NGC just lost loads of future puck submisson business with that dumass move.image >>

<< <i>

<< <i>My grades came...3 MS69PL's, 68DM, 68PL. >>

Jesus they are handing these grades out like candy. PL and DM ain't going to mean much when practically all the coins are getting it. This just gets stupidier by the minute. >>

I'm sure that most on this forum are cherry-picking. I think that about 20% is correct for DM and/or PL. NGC has been way undergrading these w/respect to PL lately.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>So if you were to pick one keeper, would you pick the 68DM or the 69PL? >>

I would keep the 69PL >>

What is the difference between deep mirror and prooflike? >>

DM = 4x as reflective a field as the average coin

PL = contrast between field and devices looks proof like

• << <i>

<< <i>This may go down as the biggest ever! Congrats and thanks for starting it!! I bet 15k posts is a possibility when it's all said and done. >>

Jack Hunt and Coins 'N Things haven't even sold their allotments yet. image >>

So you claim
    I had sold my AMark set, unopened, to a nice fella on ebay. Got a good BIN price, at the time, and not crying at all.
    He finally got back from a business trip and opened it up and was extremely happy and said that they looked "flawless" to him.

I did tell him about the PCGS change in designation grading and he asked about more info on getting them graded.....so, I sent him to the PCGS home page, showed him where the membership info is, as well as how to submit, and gave him some other info.

I would be happy for him if he got 69DMPL on all of them (if 70s aren't going to happen).
    Loss on my side, but I knew what I was doing and made a conscious choice. I am hoping that he does score big. Would be cool.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had sold my AMark set, unopened, to a nice fella on ebay. Got a good BIN price, at the time, and not crying at all.
    He finally got back from a business trip and opened it up and was extremely happy and said that they looked "flawless" to him.

I did tell him about the PCGS change in designation grading and he asked about more info on getting them graded.....so, I sent him to the PCGS home page, showed him where the membership info is, as well as how to submit, and gave him some other info.

I would be happy for him if he got 69DMPL on all of them (if 70s aren't going to happen).
    Loss on my side, but I knew what I was doing and made a conscious choice. I am hoping that he does score big. Would be cool. >>

You should have extorted 100.00 from him or cancelled the saleimage---------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

<< <i>

<< <i>I had sold my AMark set, unopened, to a nice fella on ebay. Got a good BIN price, at the time, and not crying at all.

Loss on my side, but I knew what I was doing and made a conscious choice. I am hoping that he does score big. Would be cool. >>

You should have extorted 100.00 from him or cancelled the saleimage---------------BigE >>

Nah....I'm a big boy....I know what the consequences of my actions are. I'm black and white on many things. It is either right, or it's wrong. I sincerely do wish him the best in it as he seems like a really nice guy.

• PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762

Way to go the extra mile!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

You should have extorted 100.00 from him or cancelled the saleimage---------------BigE >>

This is a very healthy attitude. Recently, we sold a very famous recent error platinum coin as common. The new owner told us and we congratulated him. The way I look at it, if you sell something too cheap that person will never forget who they bought it from. The sole exception to this is if you make an HONEST mistake by way of a typo or misquote. In that case the buyer must understand these things happen and not expect you to be bound. As an extreme example, there have been many instances of eBay sellers listing an item intending to start at 99 cents and instead listing it as a buy it now. It is utter insanity for a buyer to expect that person to honor that transaction.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• I think that PCGS has determined that the striking quality of these coins render them ALL PL or DM and that will be the base designation. Those with excessive die polishing etc. will be the outliers without those designations.

This will add some consistency to the series but it kinda mutes the "Wow" factor a bit.....
  • ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>I think that PCGS has determined that the striking quality of these coins render them ALL PL or DM and that will be the base designation. Those with excessive die polishing etc. will be the outliers without those designations.

This will add some consistency to the series but it kinda mutes the "Wow" factor a bit..... >>

This is from an article posted yesterday on PCGS: "Additionally, we have noticed that some coins have a Prooflike appearance that is not the norm for all coins. Maybe as few as 15% of the coins we have seen have a Prooflike appearance so far. Therefore, we also decided to assign these coins a PL or DMPL designation if they meet the standards for those designations."

Link

• << <i>

<< <i>I think that PCGS has determined that the striking quality of these coins render them ALL PL or DM and that will be the base designation. Those with excessive die polishing etc. will be the outliers without those designations.

This will add some consistency to the series but it kinda mutes the "Wow" factor a bit..... >>

This is from an article posted yesterday on PCGS: "Additionally, we have noticed that some coins have a Prooflike appearance that is not the norm for all coins. Maybe as few as 15% of the coins we have seen have a Prooflike appearance so far. Therefore, we also decided to assign these coins a PL or DMPL designation if they meet the standards for those designations."

Link >>

I know 40 submissions is a small study but with only 10% NOT getting the designation it makes it very hard to believe that 15% rate even with such a small sampling. With updated POP numbers it will still be hard to see the true percentages because of the prior graded coins not getting any designation.
  • From US Mint...

American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin

Production of United States Mint American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coins continues to be temporarily suspended because of unprecedented demand for American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins. Until recently, all available silver bullion blanks were being allocated to the American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin Program, as the United States Mint is required by Public Law 99-61 to produce these coins “in quantities sufficient to meet public demand . . . .”

Although the demand for precious metal coins remains high, the increase in supply of planchets—coupled with a lower demand for bullion orders in August and September—allowed the United States Mint to meet public demand and shift some capacity to produce numismatic versions of the American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin.

However, because of the continued demand for American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins, 2010-dated American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coins will not be produced.

The United States Mint will resume production of American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coins once sufficient inventories of silver bullion blanks can be acquired to meet market demand for all three American Eagle Silver Coin products.
    hmmm...wonder if they'll cancel the numismatic version of the pucks?
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like PL's and DM's will be flooding the market now.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>

<< <i>

Link >>

I know 40 submissions is a small study but with only 10% NOT getting the designation it makes it very hard to believe that 15% rate even with such a small sampling. With updated POP numbers it will still be hard to see the true percentages because of the prior graded coins not getting any designation. >>

I don't know if I agree with this estimate either, but that number is based on all the pucks that were received since January, not just the 40 that popped since the DMPL designation was announced.
  • What is rated or worth more DM or PL. I think it is PL, but I am not sure.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is rated or worth more DM or PL. I think it is PL, but I am not sure. >>

Assuming the MS grades are the same, DM without a doubt...
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭
    Looks like they halted sales of the 2011 ASEs. Too much demand. I wonder how this will reflect on the 2011 ATB 5 ozers this year. If ASEs sales are temporary suspended, will this put more demand on the 2011 5 ozers? Will they have planchet supply problems also?

Any mintage numbers yet on the 2011 Pucks?
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like they halted sales of the 2011 ASEs. >>

Got a link for this? thanks
  • About $2 more for silver and the cost of these sets plus shipping and handling is covered in melt.

• << <i>hmmm...wonder if they'll cancel the numismatic version of the pucks? >>

Doesn't seem likely for the 2010's since they have apparently already been struck.
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302

<< <i>Looks like they halted sales of the 2011 ASEs. Too much demand. I wonder how this will reflect on the 2011 ATB 5 ozers this year. If ASEs sales are temporary suspended, will this put more demand on the 2011 5 ozers? Will they have planchet supply problems also?

Any mintage numbers yet on the 2011 Pucks? >>

So we could be going through this dance with the APs again with the 2011 bullion pucks if they turn out to be low mintage. Oh, what fun.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like they halted sales of the 2011 ASEs. Too much demand. I wonder how this will reflect on the 2011 ATB 5 ozers this year. If ASEs sales are temporary suspended, will this put more demand on the 2011 5 ozers? Will they have planchet supply problems also? >>

Doubt it since the planchet are a different size and probably come from different suppliers.
  • The 2011 ATB`s should be covered since they are bullion as long as they can get 3" x 5 oz blanks, However the 2011 Proofs could be affected. What was the production numbers for 2010 ASE proofs ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file