Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget this eBay Auction from early January. Coins n Things apparently sold one of their boxes and are now keeping the coins in airtites, bubble wrap bags, something else... or they sold them.
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    PCGS MS69 FS Yosemite just sold on eBay for $1,128.00!!!!

YIKES!!!!
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...I still think you gotta be BSing...62's...I say impossible >>

Casman...where do you come up with these quotes?

No BS here........I dont know who would BS about 62's...........maybe 69/70's

but not 62's

we would rather sob over those.
    That is really hard to believe, but I know it is true. I didn't get below 68 on my submission and didn't think 3 of the 5 were anything special. There was a 63PL at NGC. It seems like for a time NGC was grading really hard, and now have maybe eased up. I haven't seen many low grades from PCGS though, on eBay at least.

• << <i>That is really hard to believe, but I know it is true. I didn't get below 68 on my submission and didn't think 3 of the 5 were anything special. There was a 63PL at NGC. It seems like for a time NGC was grading really hard, and now have maybe eased up. I haven't seen many low grades from PCGS though, on eBay at least. >>

I wonder where CNT and Jack Hunt's coins went. It wasn't to this flipper, that's for sure. image Oh apmex too, don't forget about how crappy apmex is. It'll come out eventually though, someone's always flip flapping those lips. A dealer or grader or some employee. Doesn't really matter though, they could have sold all of their coins for 3k to one big fish flipper and there would be no consequences from the mint.

LIVING LIFE WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES IS AWESOME! image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The coin vault and the other tv shows had to have gotten their coins from somebody and there are only those 3 they could have gotten them

from. Not hard to figure out without even getting someone to talk. Would be nice to know for sure though.
  • MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder when APMEX will just remove the ATB listing and move on. It seems pretty obvious they have probably gone out the back door. They have lost a lot of credibility here on this forum. Pretty poor business decision but I guess they are just betting people have short memories.

Maine_Jim
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder when APMEX will just remove the ATB listing and move on. It seems pretty obvious they have probably gone out the back door. They have lost a lot of credibility here on this forum. Pretty poor business decision but I guess they are just betting people have short memories.

Maine_Jim >>

I agree about APMEX. Too bad no one has a connection there to point them to this thread (well, at least the pertinent comments about them). Also, it appears that the only ones who defend APMEX, and how they handled this, are the folks who got them from the higher price....they refuse to see the whole picture as to how they have handled it and only focus on a small subset that included them and their making a higher profit.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Do you think they really care. They sell more gold and silver in one hour than all these atb coins put together. These coins are just a nuisance to them at this point. It could come back to haunt them though when and if the mint makes more of these than silver eagles.
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My PCGS submission will be next week thanks to the new rules. >>

What are the new rules?

<< <i>

What are the new rules? >>

Read Don Willis post on this page.

<< <i>

What are the new rules? >>

PL and DMPL available now (as with the UHR now as well)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Now I have to pull out the UHR`S and see how they look
  • MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think they really care. They sell more gold and silver in one hour than all these atb coins put together. These coins are just a nuisance to them at this point. It could come back to haunt them though when and if the mint makes more of these than silver eagles. >>

That is why I would think they would just move on. Dragging this thing out for months is ridiculous. I got my set from AMARK weeks ago and don't really care about flipping them. I did sign up on the APMEX list...whatever that means. I don't think I would even bother with APMEX now even if they were professional enough to send me a message concerning them. I might be small potatoes to them I suppose but they won't be seeing any of my business for a while. Those small potatoes add up to quite a lot after a few years.

Maine_Jim
  • Here are the current PCGS PL and DM pops.

506574 GC MSPL69 - 15
    506575 GC MSDM68 - 2, MSDM69 - 2
    506578 HS MSPL68 - 1, MSPL69 - 12
    506579 HS MSDM68 - 6, MSDM69 - 17
    506582 MH MSPL68 - 7, MSPL69 - 16
    506583 MH MSDM68 - 3, MSDM69 - 7
    506586 YE MSPL68 - 8, MSPL69 - 22
    506587 YE MSDM68 - 1, MSDM69 - 3
    506590 YO MSPL68 - 1, MSPL69 - 12
    506591 YO MSDM68 - 9, MSDM69 - 10
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Here's an interesting view of how many are grading PL or DM.

Hot Springs - PL or DM 36
    Hot Springs - neither 120

Yellowstone - PL or DM 34
    Yellowstone - neither 114

Yosemite - PL or DM 32
    Yosemite - neither 106

Grand Canyon - PL or DM 19
    Grand Canyon - neither 126

Mount Hood - PL or DM 33
    Mount Hood - neither 112

So out of 732 coins submitted, 154 graded PL or DM. That's a 21% hit rate.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    That is quite a high percent, especially for only being given for a couple of days that we know of. Thanks for the information.
  • WOW…What a ride..
    I have read EVERY post on this thread, daily. For the first time, I “pre-sold” several sets on eBay, between $2700 and $2100. Needless to say, I learned my lesson about preselling. I’ll never do that again. My hard earned eBay 100% feedback is now 94%.
    Anyway, I have something else to share. I had one buyer that sent me a check instead of paying through PayPal. After the 30 day deadline for shipping pre-sales had passed, he was real cool with everything. But he did want them to NGC for ER GEM BU labeling. I agreed to send them there if they arrived in time. Lo and Behold, I received his set from Fidelitrade on Friday, Feb 11.
    I didn’t even open it. I spent $200 to join NGC, and set the set sealed to them the same day, via USPS Express Mail. I communicated this to the buyer, and then we waited.
    Yesterday, I received notice from NGC that his coins had shipped back to me. Upon checking the order, I was….…………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
    I called the buyer, and gave him the bad news: NGC did not label the set as GUM BU. Instead they assigned numeric grades.
    The good news….there were four MS69 and one MS67! YEP! Four out of five were MS 69! And this is from an unopened Fedilitrade, shipped first to my brother in TN, then to me in FL, and then to NGC. Needless to say, the buyer was ecstatic!
    Back to lurking……
    FloridaBill

• << <i>WOW…What a ride..
    >>

Ride indeed. These ATBs have been a circus from the beginning, and just as as soon as you think things are leveling out, another wrench gets thrown in the system.

Sorry to hear about your ebay problems. Hopefully you can bring that rating up a bit...

The crazy thing is that there are still APs left to sell, Numismatic releases on the way, and then on to the 2011s!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Have there been any spotting issues showing up on these yet? Maybe they are just being cautious.

. >>

Is anyone who is holding these long term doing an acetone dip prior to slabbing or putting away? >>

I gave my APMEX set an acetone bath, as I will do with my other sets, it removed a film I could see on the surface. In another strange twist to the "Puck Saga", A Mark sets will be the first to spot if it occurs on these coins because they will have been submitted in their original First Strike holders, so we have to wonder was the 18.00 gift per coin really a gift at allimage--------------BigE >>

Big E, what is your preferred dip method ? Acetone>Alcohol rinse>distilled water rinse and hair dryer
    Acetone>distilled water rinse and hair dryer
    or just acetone dip ? Also how long did you dip in acetone just for spot protection? thanks! >>

Timber,

I dont use alcohol in between, just a 30 second dip in acetone in a glass cake dish, rinse thoroughly with a quarter gallon distilled water, then dry on a pile of 100% cotton t-shirts with hair dryer. I noticed the dish on the tool bench, she refuses to use it anymore. I dont understand why, its really cleanimage--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    Thanks BigE. Is normal Home Depot acetone safe to use or is there a special kind?
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

FWIW, here's a link to an acetone dip discussion from a few years back:

acetone dip

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

Thanks for the refresher course. I had forgotten how to do it myself but at my age that is not

surprising.

<< <i>Thanks BigE. Is normal Home Depot acetone safe to use or is there a special kind? >>

Just make sure to get 100% pure, thats all I have ever used, (in reality I dont know what happens if you dont), but why skimp. Very flammable, be carefulimage------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

• << <i>

<< <i>...I still think you gotta be BSing...62's...I say impossible >>

Casman...where do you come up with these quotes?

No BS here........I dont know who would BS about 62's...........maybe 69/70's

but not 62's

we would rather sob over those. >>

Can you take a pic of one or two of these coins. This seems incredibily hard to believe. One maybe, but all of them graded this low. Makes zero sense.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Casman...where do you come up with these quotes? No BS here........I dont know who would BS about 62's...........maybe 69/70's but not 62's we would rather sob over those. >> Can you take a pic of one or two of these coins. This seems incredibily hard to believe. One maybe, but all of them graded this low. Makes zero sense >>

What is particularly hard to believe is that three graders would have had to agree. I can see one inexperienced grader making a mistake (or 10 mistakes), but doesn't the grading process involve three graders before the coins move on to QC? I am by no means doubting your situation, just trying to figure out what happened. Not knowing the extreme details of the grading process makes it difficult. Who does the actual entering of the grades into the system? It would seem that that would be the most likely place an error (or errors) would occur.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Hey, I quoted nothing, and simply asked for pics...Kinda like Santa Claus, I know he exists but sometimes I wanna see for myself. image
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally called prudential my set was sent out the 25 she told me should have this week before I leave for california which is really good. I too have trouble grasping the details from 7/8 and i will be sending all mine into pcgs. There is just no reasoning to get 8 62's and 2 61's . I do wish you the best in getting them to correct this mistake. I know i would not be a happy camper getting those back either. The set you have in there now is that the prudential set? Please let us know the grades on those. image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

• << <i>Hey, I quoted nothing, and simply asked for pics...Kinda like Santa Claus, I know he exists but sometimes I wanna see for myself. image >>

Something smells fishy here.
  • Sending 2 a-mark sets to pcgs today.My Yosimite is prooflike and hope they agree on that.Ill post grades when I get them back.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first puck set I submitted took only 3 days at PCGS.

My Amark set has been at PCGS since 2/9/11. Anyone else on the submisson slow boat?

• CALLING ALL WHO SENT IN (got back) ATB SETS TO (from) PCGS PRIOR TO NEW DESIGNATIONS...

I don't know or care if its right or wrong, fair on unfair, good business or bad business....

PLEASE CALL PCGS, and request polity that they discount resubmissions to those that has submitted these sets in the last month and only want to add the new designations.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Casman...where do you come up with these quotes? No BS here........I dont know who would BS about 62's...........maybe 69/70's but not 62's we would rather sob over those. >> Can you take a pic of one or two of these coins. This seems incredibily hard to believe. One maybe, but all of them graded this low. Makes zero sense >>

What is particularly hard to believe is that three graders would have had to agree. I can see one inexperienced grader making a mistake (or 10 mistakes), but doesn't the grading process involve three graders before the coins move on to QC? I am by no means doubting your situation, just trying to figure out what happened. Not knowing the extreme details of the grading process makes it difficult. Who does the actual entering of the grades into the system? It would seem that that would be the most likely place an error (or errors) would occur. >>

I am leaning toward mechanical error. They screwed up my last 2 orders. I now have a Yosemite in 69 not labeled ER while the other 4 are, someones typo, and I have an order in of 2011 Lincolns and one is scheduled for grading as a 1911 on the order page, another typo. I've never had a problem with NGC until the past 2 weeks.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PLEASE CALL PCGS, and request polity or demand rudely that they discount resubmissions to those that has submitted these sets in the last month and only want to add the new designations.
    >>

Good luck with that.

ahrelep...
    It is bad very form to come on the PCGS website(forums) and ask everyone to call PCGS and complain and raise holey hell.

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭
    This PL thing is just a scam.

If it was PL before, why wasn't it graded as PL ??

This just reaks of quota's.

Either the graders are clueless and didn't recognize PL, OR, the grader said they were PL and Management said NO, we aren't designating any as PL. ?!?!?!

So what gives?

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CALLING ALL WHO SENT IN (got back) ATB SETS TO (from) PCGS PRIOR TO NEW DESIGNATIONS...

I don't know or care if its right or wrong, fair on unfair, good business or bad business....

PLEASE CALL PCGS, and request polity or demand rudely that they discount resubmissions to those that has submitted these sets in the last month and only want to add the new designations. >>

You'll be the next one reporting all 62's from your PCGS orderimage

I am sending my 5 PCGS choice coins in for numeric grading today. They all look highly mirrored to me and I don't see any imperfections on

them so they should grade well.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The first puck set I submitted took only 3 days at PCGS.
    My Amark set has been at PCGS since 2/9/11. Anyone else on the submisson slow boat? >>

Yes, I'm enjoying the same long wait. I called this morning and was told that they were behind on their turnaround times due to a large show they went to. Express is taking 10 business days.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I actually got my set from prudential today and all I can say is what the ......... packaging? They just put them in some soft holders and than put tape around the whole thing so coins could not fall out, only problem is the tape stuck to the edges on some. Very sad indeed. Also I did buy some of those airtite holders and it sure seems to me the coins do not sit in them right. Oh well this was my one set to send in and now I am even wondering what to do. image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "This PL thing is just a scam.
    If it was PL before, why wasn't it graded as PL ??
    This just reaks of quota's.
    Either the graders are clueless and didn't recognize PL, OR, the grader said they were PL and Management said NO, we aren't designating any as PL. ?!?!?!
    So what gives?"

Goldbuffalo - Your post I believe is unjustified. There are many designations BOTH grading services do not recognize even to this day, but I would love to see recognized (perhaps the subject of another thread?) and some that NGC did recognize, but not PCGS. My letter to PCGS was intended to ask PCGS to reconsider its position on the "PL" designation for various modern coins. Plain and simple.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    7over8, admit it, you lost your glasses and accidentally gave them a bath in sulphuric acidimage----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigE,

One of my friends bought a set for me but he handled them with his bare hands before I could get them. They look like a nice set and I want to send into PCGS for grading. Is there anything I should do before sending to PCGS?

Thanks,

BC
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭
    My grades from NGC. The were all FideliTrade sets. I didnt even open some of them because of the bubble wraps. Thought the glue would mess these up. Thought there were some mirrors. Guess not.

001 2010 5oz SILVER HOT SPRINGS 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    002 2010 5oz SILVER YOSEMITE 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    003 2010 5oz SILVER YELLOWSTONE 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    004 2010 5oz SILVER GRAND CANYON 25C MS 67 EARLY RELEASES
    005 2010 5oz SILVER MOUNT HOOD 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    006 2010 5oz SILVER HOT SPRINGS 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    007 2010 5oz SILVER YOSEMITE 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    008 2010 5oz SILVER YELLOWSTONE 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    009 2010 5oz SILVER GRAND CANYON 25C MS 68 EARLY RELEASES
    010 2010 5oz SILVER MOUNT HOOD 25C MS 68 EARLY RELEASES

I wont' have a perfect set of 69s. Grand Canyon was the bad one. No PLs.

<< <i>I am sending my 5 PCGS choice coins in for numeric grading today. They all look highly mirrored to me and I don't see any imperfections on

them so they should grade well. >>

I took them to the PO. They will have them tomorrow morning. I am in no hurry to get them back because I intend to keep them for now but I

wanted to get them there in a hurry so they could get them in process.

<< <i>BigE,

One of my friends bought a set for me but he handled them with his bare hands before I could get them. They look like a nice set and I want to send into PCGS for grading. Is there anything I should do before sending to PCGS?

Thanks,

BC >>

BC, I would invite him to BBQ and spit in his burger if he is bigger than you, if not do something physical

Seriously, acetone wont hurt, would stop/inhibit a print showing up -------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    Do I have the right to be a little upset and demand a partial refund from PCGS???

I submitted 2 orders
    1. A single coin, Modern service (20-30 days...no rush)
    2. 15 ATB coins, Express Service (5 day service....wanted them asap)

Well, they were all delivered to PCGS 2/14, weren't "received" until 2/16. The single coin Modern (20-30 days) was delivered to me this past Friday, however, I still haven't heard anything about my ATB sets (5 day service....ok the FS gives them 3-5 days, but they were already FS so???

So, should I be happy that I got my modern back so fast, or upset because its been 2 weeks and I haven't seen anything?
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
    Zubie,

You HAVE tried calling customer service to see if there are issues, right?
    I mean, that should be the first step before posting on the forum as no one here (unless DW enters this blackhole of a thread) has any power to help you...

• BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    if you browse through the shared orders, it strongly appears that ATB Puck grading has been on hold for a week or more.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

<< <i>Do I have the right to be a little upset and demand a partial refund from PCGS???

I submitted 2 orders
    1. A single coin, Modern service (20-30 days...no rush)
    2. 15 ATB coins, Express Service (5 day service....wanted them asap)

Well, they were all delivered to PCGS 2/14, weren't "received" until 2/16. The single coin Modern (20-30 days) was delivered to me this past Friday, however, I still haven't heard anything about my ATB sets (5 day service....ok the FS gives them 3-5 days, but they were already FS so???

So, should I be happy that I got my modern back so fast, or upset because its been 2 weeks and I haven't seen anything? >>

They will not give you a partial refund. You will just have to wait patiently and will get them shortly. I know you are anxious but unless you are going to sell them there is no hurry. Maybe they are being held up because they are DMPL designated.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if you browse through the shared orders, it strongly appears that ATB Puck grading has been on hold for a week or more. >>

Maybe they done all puckered-out gradin' them ATB's!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file