Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Also, not that it matters but those pics appear rushed...out of focus, lighting etc.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know how someone submitted 100 sets to qualify for Bulk?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Interesting news on an otherwise slow day in ATB-related things. Looks to me like PCGS caved under competition pressure from NGC. I wonder how many sets graded in the few months could have gotten the PL/DMPL status? Which begs the question.....how rare are these really?
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • I have 3 sets at PCGS now some PL/DMPL would be nice but I won`t hold my breath. But the timing is right. Also couldn`t find good paper tape anywhere but the post office but only got enough for 2 packages, but thanks for the idea,just ask the post office.

• << <i>I noticed there are no pictures of the Washington side of the coins on Ebay for PCGS PL and DMPL coins. Are these also frosted and mirrored? I have yet to see one myself. It would be great to see some pics of what PCGS considers DMPL with shots of both sides of the coin. >>

The sets I listed don't have pictures of the Washington side because 1) it'd be difficult to identify which picture belongs to each coin unless I label them 2) the eBay picture pack only allows 12 pictures, and I'm already using 10.
    However, I do have some individual PL's listed that have pictures of both sides. Unfortunately I can't get the lighting right on the Washington side to show "proof-likedness." IMHO, they look better in person and you can tell the difference between the degrees of proof-likedness

<< <i>Also, not that it matters but those pics appear rushed...out of focus, lighting etc. >>

Which is out of focus? I thought the focus turned out fine on them. I know the lighting is weird on some- for some reason Hot Springs all turned out dark, even though I didn't change anything. Obviously, I'm not a pro-photographer, but I think I take good enough pictures to discern the general quality of the coins, especially since they're in PCGS slabs. But you'll want someone who really knows what they're doing to take good pictures of these.
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I noticed there are no pictures of the Washington side of the coins on Ebay for PCGS PL and DMPL coins. Are these also frosted and mirrored? I have yet to see one myself. It would be great to see some pics of what PCGS considers DMPL with shots of both sides of the coin. >>

The sets I listed don't have pictures of the Washington side because 1) it'd be difficult to identify which picture belongs to each coin unless I label them 2) the eBay picture pack only allows 12 pictures, and I'm already using 10.
    However, I do have some individual PL's listed that have pictures of both sides. Unfortunately I can't get the lighting right on the Washington side to show "proof-likedness." IMHO, they look better in person and you can tell the difference between the degrees of proof-likedness

<< <i>Also, not that it matters but those pics appear rushed...out of focus, lighting etc. >>

Which is out of focus? I thought the focus turned out fine on them. I know the lighting is weird on some- for some reason Hot Springs all turned out dark, even though I didn't change anything. Obviously, I'm not a pro-photographer, but I think I take good enough pictures to discern the general quality of the coins, especially since they're in PCGS slabs. But you'll want someone who really knows what they're doing to take good pictures of these. >>

So which back door are you getting your coins from?

• <<<So which back door are you getting your coins from?>>>

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

• << <i>So which back door are you getting your coins from? >>

I assume you mean an AP? All the sets from this batch I bought from someone second-hand a couple weeks ago. I was offering more than MCM at the time.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Need a little help.
    I know it's been posted numerous times here, but searching for it will be a pain.
    My membership ran out and I need to renew so I can get my ATB's graded.
    I have 4 sets, one is A-mark slabbed.

Do I get the platinum and use the 8 vouchers for 2 sets? Will this work for the 15 day turn around or only the 30 day?
    How do I submit the slabbed Amarks in and keep the first strike?

Thanks >>

The problem si that two sets contain 10 coins and not 8. You can only use the voucher for 8 coins and the all have to be on the same form. In order for you to use the voucher and submit 10 coins you will have to send in two forms, two handling fees and two return shippings. Also if you have half A-Mark slabs and half raw then that is two different forms anyway. One for a regrade and you don't pay FS fee, the other for grading adn you do pay the FS fee. >>

Duh! What was I thinking? I knew it was 10 not 8. Can't do simple math anymore.
    I went to do an online submission for regrade on the A-marks and the site would not recognize the cert numbers
    so I just sent all 20 as a raw grade and I'll let them call me to adjust any errors.

• don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    My 2nd set of A-Mark ATBs just shipped!
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Can single NGC slabs be sent first class, or will they have to go priority due to the weight?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI- PCGS is now grading PL and DM. I'll have them up with pictures in my ebay listings in a couple hours. >>

Just when we've been sending our best ones to NGC for PLs, NGC is totally cracking down on them and PCGS is letting some out.....CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>

<< <i>Well here it is, a complete set of PCGS MS 69 DMPL... eBay >>

Since I truly believe NGC dogged me on my lastest prooflike submission I will be cracking those suckers out and sending them to PCGS!!! Oh the madnessimage >>

It really can drive you nuts. How many PCGS coins submitted earlier would not get DM PL?? Resubmit? Full price to resubmit? Clearly PCGS read our comments that they should get on board w/the PL thing. Needless to say, many of us would have submitted out PL looking coins to PCGS and not NGC had we known. Argh.

It will be interesting to see how many PCGS DM PL coins start turning up now.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    the current pops as of last sunday were about 100-120 of each total graded.

If these guys (there's 2 listing them) sent in 100 sets each in bulk, that might explain how they got so lucky...sending in twice the total number graded so far.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • I have just been WAITING for PCGS to offer PL designations. I've haded the huge NGC Giant holders which looks horrible for presentations. Now that I know PCGS is offering PL Desigs, I'll be sending my 2 sets in . lol.
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know if registered mail goes quicker coming from a grading company as opposed to going due to a lot of registered packages being sent out by the grading companies.

<< <i>the current pops as of last sunday were about 100-120 of each total graded.

If these guys (there's 2 listing them) sent in 100 sets each in bulk, that might explain how they got so lucky...sending in twice the total number graded so far. >>

Needless to say, it's not like the coins are any differend now. How many of the PCGS coins what we all have would have been DM/PLs had we submitted them now instead of last month. This changing of the game is getting old.

• << <i>Does anybody know if registered mail goes quicker coming from a grading company as opposed to going due to a lot of registered packages being sent out by the grading companies. >>

Shouldn't make a difference. PCGS no longer uses Registered Mail.

• << <i>

<< <i>the current pops as of last sunday were about 100-120 of each total graded.

If these guys (there's 2 listing them) sent in 100 sets each in bulk, that might explain how they got so lucky...sending in twice the total number graded so far. >>

Needless to say, it's not like the coins are any differend now. How many of the PCGS coins what we all have would have been DM/PLs had we submitted them now instead of last month. This changing of the game is getting old. >>

Lots of stunts. What we want from third party graders is consistency, and I'm not seeing that. Instead, we're going to have a confusing mess of differently graded slabs floating about so they don't miss out on a few sales that could go across the street.

With this and the nonsensical First Strike $18/coin, I have to say--I'm tired of playing games.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Needless to say, it's not like the coins are any differend now. How many of the PCGS coins what we all have would have been DM/PLs had we submitted them now instead of last month. This changing of the game is getting old. >>

Lots of stunts. What we want from third party graders is consistency, and I'm not seeing that. Instead, we're going to have a confusing mess of differently graded slabs floating about so they don't miss out on a few sales that could go across the street.

With this and the nonsensical First Strike $18/coin, I have to say--I'm tired of playing games. >>

And I bet you'd still pay the prices they ask to get graded by them. =
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I know I will as their coins sell so much better.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

With this and the nonsensical First Strike $18/coin, I have to say--I'm tired of playing games. >>

And I bet you'd still pay the prices they ask to get graded by them. = >>

With the 2010 ATBs, yes...

• << <i>

<< <i>

image The BS just never ends with these coins. People are sending to NGC to try for PL, then we start hearing NGC tightens up the PL, then PCGS starts giving PL, which they should have been doing from the get go if the coin merited it. Not fair for people who submitted coins to PCGS early that should have been PL or DMPL. I am starting to think I will leave my set ungraded till all the smoke clears as I am not selling them anyway, then send to PCGS if I decide to get them graded. IMHO, I think the bullion may be more desirable than the sandblasted 2010 P coins. I'm thinking the 2010 Ps sandblasted will not be nearly as pretty (if you can call them pretty) as as the bullion in MS69DMPL and the bullion will show legs in the future.
  • Edited: wrong thread
  • I hoped for PL designations from PCGS at some point. My grades should be posted next week and with a little luck? The first MS70DMPL will show up! image

• << <i>I hoped for PL designations from PCGS at some point. My grades should be posted next week and with a little luck? The first MS70DMPL will show up! image >>

That would be way cool, MS70DMPL!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Would you sell fast or hold it? That might be a tough decision.

• << <i>Would you sell fast or hold it? That might be a tough decision. >>

It will be a tough call for sure! image

Honestly? 3 of my 5 A-Mark pieces looked great. Should be no problem 69s and I can always dream about a 70. I sent them in 4 weeks ago hoping for: 67, 68, 69, 69, 69 results. Now any or all could go PL and this is a big bonus. The 17 business days for regular turn-around arrives next Tuesday, 03/01. I'll post my results as soon as possible.image
  • I also have my A-Mark at PCGS since the 11th ready to be graded. We will see what happens. I actually thought of sending them to NGC, glad I didn't.
  • spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    I submitted a set to "across the street". Three are ms69, one is 67, one is 66, all early release. I'm a little disappointed.I was pretty sure at least one of them would be proof like. At least one had "rim dents" that were easy to see. It was not marked as being damaged.

• << <i>Can single NGC slabs be sent first class, or will they have to go priority due to the weight? >>

First Class if under 13 oz.
  • Oh I forgot one thought....

Doesn't anyone feel jerked around when you pay big bucks to get these things graded and THEN the rules change???

NGC...PL's ..if you submitted early....yes if you submit now....ummm not likely...but we may start again soon

PCGS..PL's..no way.......well now that we've graded a bunch... OK ...Pl's are in

WTF! The series distribution was messed up from the start and now the TPG's have to continue the trend.

The whole issue is possessed by demons

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭
    10K for the PCGS MS 69 DMPL set. Not bad.

Maybe NGC sees what their PLs are going for and don't like to guarantee so many at these prices. They could conceivablly even go up more.

Have there been any spotting issues showing up on these yet? Maybe they are just being cautious.

So do you buy the 2011 bullion as early as possible for the PLs? If they strike 500K of these, then these would seem to be more difficult to acquire I would think. They will probably be using the dies much longer than they did in 2010 maybe.
  • I was just getting ready to submit my ATBs from FT and saw this:

New PCGS Designations for 2009 UHR $20 and 2010 5 Oz. Silver Coins

Effective immediately, PCGS will recognize Prooflike (PL) designations for 2009 Ultra High Relief (UHR) $20 gold coins. Also, effective immediately, PCGS will recognize Prooflike (PL) and Deep Mirror Prooflike (DMPL) designations for 2010 5 oz. America the Beautiful coins. Many of these business strike coins were minted from highly polished dies and warrant special recognition. All submissions automatically qualify for these new designations without any additional fees.
  • If I remember correctly the original plan for this fiasco was to issue 100k 5 ounce bullion....then they announced that the mintage would be split between a bullion and a collector version....then they announce that the total mintage would be reduced to 60k (33k bullion/27k collector)

Don't you think it reasonable that they continue with the original plan and the 50k/50k dispersion for the original total of 100k pieces. Do you REALLY think them capable of cranking out 500k 5 ounce coins??? I maybe could see them getting away from the 50/50 split and going 100k/50k.

The problem is the multiple designs. If there was just one design for the bullion they could mint to demand and it would be a true bullion issue. But now with ANY mintage limits it creates demand and we all know where that leads....image

• << <i>I was just getting ready to submit my ATBs from FT and saw this:

New PCGS Designations for 2009 UHR $20 and 2010 5 Oz. Silver Coins

Effective immediately, PCGS will recognize Prooflike (PL) designations for 2009 Ultra High Relief (UHR) $20 gold coins. Also, effective immediately, PCGS will recognize Prooflike (PL) and Deep Mirror Prooflike (DMPL) designations for 2010 5 oz. America the Beautiful coins. Many of these business strike coins were minted from highly polished dies and warrant special recognition. All submissions automatically qualify for these new designations without any additional fees. >>

Go to the top of this page and the discussion/chart is there
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I see MCM is buying again, their BST thread has been updated.

I wonder if the new PCGS PL designations has anything to do with their decision to buy again so soon? MCM previously said they might start buying again in a couple of weeks, turns out it was a couple days. image

Or maybe it's just MCM's market is doing well.
  • Just a thought. If the "AP's" are seeing that their best sets are bringing moon money don't you think they will look over subsequent issues of these more closely? The consencus seems to be that Amark and FT just packaged up their ATB's and sent them on their way and some buyers lucked out and others didn't. For this kind of money ($10,000 a set) I would think they will check them better.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭
    My only reasoning for the 500K mintage is that they sold over 21 million silver ASEs last year. Maybe a more efficient way to distribute bullion if the demand is there?

• << <i>My only reasoning for the 500K mintage is that they sold over 21 million silver ASEs last year. Maybe a more efficient way to distribute bullion if the demand is there? >>

Totally agree.... but to be a true bullion issue it has to be minted to demand like the ASE's are...That would definitely work
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see MCM is buying again, their BST thread has been updated.

I wonder if the new PCGS PL designations has anything to do with their decision to buy again so soon? MCM previously said they might start buying again in a couple of weeks, turns out it was a couple days. image

Or maybe it's just MCM's market is doing well. >>

We were buying about three times as fast as we were selling so we thought it might be a good idea to slow it up. However, now we think there will be re-newed interest as a result of the PCGS PL/DMPL decision, so we're loading up the boat again.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>However, now we think there will be re-newed interest as a result of the PCGS PL/DMPL decision, so we're loading up the boat again.

John >>

I agree, the PCGS PL designations will extend the current market for a while.
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>New PCGS Designations for 2009 UHR $20 and 2010 5 Oz. Silver Coins

Effective immediately, PCGS will recognize Prooflike (PL) designations for 2009 Ultra High Relief (UHR) $20 gold coins. Also, effective immediately, PCGS will recognize Prooflike (PL) and Deep Mirror Prooflike (DMPL) designations for 2010 5 oz. America the Beautiful coins. Many of these business strike coins were minted from highly polished dies and warrant special recognition. All submissions automatically qualify for these new designations without any additional fees. >>

How about, "...and anyone who previously submitted these coins to PCGS can resubmit them free of charge if they believe their coins have deep mirrors."

It's frustrating to think of spending $30+ to get my MS70 UHR regraded just to see if it will get MS70DMPL. I already spent $50 getting it graded once.

Maybe they could come up with a new submission level - DMPL evaluation - $10.

• << <i>
    Have there been any spotting issues showing up on these yet? Maybe they are just being cautious.

. >>

Is anyone who is holding these long term doing an acetone dip prior to slabbing or putting away?
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Oh I forgot one thought....

Doesn't anyone feel jerked around when you pay big bucks to get these things graded and THEN the rules change???

NGC...PL's ..if you submitted early....yes if you submit now....ummm not likely...but we may start again soon

PCGS..PL's..no way.......well now that we've graded a bunch... OK ...Pl's are in

WTF! The series distribution was messed up from the start and now the TPG's have to continue the trend.

The whole issue is possessed by demons

image >>

And don't forget the 1st strike thing, all will qualify regardless of when submitted? The 30 day thing out the window, obviously some preplanning went into this decision. ...I know it's just a label but like anything else people want labels, whether it be shoes jeans cars or food...The mirror thing is just more controversy...Next they'll agree to cross labels at grade...
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC has just cut it's own throat with not grading PL's like they were and no more ER labels. Talk about a stupid move! PCGS is now going to eat NGC's lunch on submissions for the pucks! I bet NGC puck submissions have come to screaching halt.
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    The mint said they could strike 900-1200 ATB's per hour, per Coin World. If demand is there they could do 500K easy.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Doesn't anyone feel jerked around when you pay big bucks to get these things graded and THEN the rules change???"

Truth be told, the "rules changed" (at least IMHO) because I recently sent a letter to PCGS detailing why they should begin designating these coins PL and DPL (and they promptly listened). I have been assisting a few board members with submitting their coins to PCGS (as well as my own coins) and I truly believed PCGS could add value to ALL of our slabbed coins if they adopted these designations. I guess I was right judging by the early results on ebay of one selling group that got the first coins (hey, if you are reading this, I like See's Chocolates! LOL) But, seriously, I think this move will add meaningful value to those high end coins with beautiful prooflike surfaces. Let me say it here first that, IMHO, there will be MANY of these coins that achieve these designations so it is certainly a "buyers' beware" market in the early going . But, for the dedicated collectors of this series, it will be a nice pursuit to build a set of these coins in 69PL or 69DPL grade (perhaps 'homemade"). So, I really do not feel "jerked around", but, rather, pleased that PCGS reacted so swiftly and correctly in adding these designations to these coins.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint said they could strike 900-1200 ATB's per hour, per Coin World. If demand is there they could do 500K easy. >>

That will sure make for a lot of these coins making the 2010's worth moon money. I would not even think of selling my 3 sets at this point.
  • TPGs gain legitimacy in a large part from consistency. Their mistake was not choosing one route at the beginning.

This might be fine from a dealer's perspective, but try to put yourself in the shoes of the little guy who submitted a set to PCGS a month ago and now finds out they're changing the rules. I'm not referring to myself, by the way, but it could easily be myself.

Boucharda is completely right. We are being jerked around.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file