Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Maybe thats why mine have not shown up there yet, slow check in with ATB`s ? But probably USPS
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I called the last three business days and they said they are shipping soon? I don't want to piss them off, but, just thought I'd see if anyone else is going through this.
    On the other hand, I didn't realize all this deep mirror and proof like stuff was going on, so, maybe that is why it is taking so long.
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123

• Looks like prices for sets on Ebay are stepping up. Is this the bounce?
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I have a confirmation with M.T.B. that my coins will be shipping today and with Fidelitrade that my set with them ships tomorrow. Once I get

them its off to PCGS with them too without even opening them. Once I get them all back I may sell some of the poorer quality ones on ebay

but want to keep 2 sets if they are good. Now if only the mint decides to sell theirs----
  • Quick question to anyone that can help. I have the Apmex, Amark and Fidelitrade sets to get graded. I do see a couple very strong mirrors in each group except the Amark coins. In your opinions does the PCGS slab cut down the mirror effect substantially or are they probably just not contenders for proof like at all. Thanks, I'm just trying to figure out which ones to send in and which not too. I was going to go NGC for the 1st time, but am now going PCGS because of the potential for the proof like grades. Quite honestly I am very pleased with all my coins except one and that simply has a good rim nick that bothers me.

PCGS is the way to go, it may cost you a little more but in the long run you will come out way ahead and the holders do not hide anything that

matters. The important thing is that you get them in holders to protect them and PCGS is the best grading company for that.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Quick question to anyone that can help. I have the Apmex, Amark and Fidelitrade sets to get graded. I do see a couple very strong mirrors in each group except the Amark coins. In your opinions does the PCGS slab cut down the mirror effect substantially or are they probably just not contenders for proof like at all. Thanks, I'm just trying to figure out which ones to send in and which not too. I was going to go NGC for the 1st time, but am now going PCGS because of the potential for the proof like grades. Quite honestly I am very pleased with all my coins except one and that simply has a good rim nick that bothers me. >>

A coin doesn't have to be a PL to be a winner does it? I imagine a set of straight 69's would be kind of neat to have or to sell.

I have not been keeping up with these rapidly changing prices (and who knows if they will change again by the time the coins come back), kind of curious myself where the break even point is, is a 67 pcgs considered a dud, 68? What about a 67PL? Most likely anything that will be PCGS 68 and above is my guess, what is the average price for a 68 right now?---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

• << <i>Quick question to anyone that can help. I have the Apmex, Amark and Fidelitrade sets to get graded. I do see a couple very strong mirrors in each group except the Amark coins. In your opinions does the PCGS slab cut down the mirror effect substantially or are they probably just not contenders for proof like at all. Thanks, I'm just trying to figure out which ones to send in and which not too. I was going to go NGC for the 1st time, but am now going PCGS because of the potential for the proof like grades. Quite honestly I am very pleased with all my coins except one and that simply has a good rim nick that bothers me. >>

Look closely for die polish, particularly on Washington where it's easy to spot through the plastic. If you have it there, it's probably in the mirrored fields as well. I've found this to be the biggest contributor to that hazy look and I think will prevent any kind of PL grade.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i> Once I get them its off to PCGS with them too without even opening them. - >>

Why would you do that? Open them up, that way if you have some utter dogs, you can sell them off without investing money in the grading. You will probably have a couple sub MS67's, maybe even some spotted coins that could use a bath before grading. The fidelitrade coins are not worth getting re-graded unless you are sure of MS68 or better.

• << <i>...what is the average price for a 68 right now?--------- >>

I haven't checked today, and wish somebody was charting these, but they (68s) were just over $300 last week for most versions. 68 puts them right at "sealed A-Mark box" price, but they have come way down from where they were of course.

The PL and DM will be a whole new shooting match. 67PLs should bring well over $300 I'd imagine and 68PLs should be up with 69s. DMs could get really crazy.

Ok I agree. I will give them a bath before I send them off to be graded. I have never done it before but it should not be too difficult. I should

probably order some capsules to put them in after I bathe them.

Where is everyone getting those capsules?
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They will not give you a partial refund. You will just have to wait patiently and will get them shortly. I know you are anxious but unless you are going to sell them there is no hurry. Maybe they are being held up because they are DMPL designated. >>

IMO, It doesn't seem right to pay for "express service" and get them in the same time as if you had sent them in for regular service. They DO owe a refund in the amount of the difference in the service levels if you pay for 'express' but get 'regular.' What have they done to deserve the express-level fees if they have done nothing different? Technically, that's fraud.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They will not give you a partial refund. You will just have to wait patiently and will get them shortly. I know you are anxious but unless you are going to sell them there is no hurry. Maybe they are being held up because they are DMPL designated. >>

IMO, It doesn't seem right to pay for "express service" and get them in the same time as if you had sent them in for regular service. They DO owe a refund in the amount of the difference in the service levels if you pay for 'express' but get 'regular.' What have they done to deserve the express-level fees if they have done nothing different? Technically, that's fraud. >>

Are you trying to get bammed? Get this thread poofed? PCGS makes no promises on turnaround times. Nuff said.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

IMO, It doesn't seem right to pay for "express service" and get them in the same time as if you had sent them in for regular service. They DO owe a refund in the amount of the difference in the service levels if you pay for 'express' but get 'regular.' What have they done to deserve the express-level fees if they have done nothing different? Technically, that's fraud. >>

You do know that they have a disclaimer (at least, they did) that covers periods of shows, right? So if there is a major show, it extends the grading time guarantees. You know that, right? It says right on their form that it is "estimated turnaround times - business days". So, I can understand the consternation, but when they have a major show, when they have on-site grading, they take many of their graders, so that does slow things back at the homestead.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like PCGS is suddenly grading quite a few of these as PL or DM. Expect prices to drop FAST on these.
    It also seems that NGC stopped giving out PL designations for a while.

NGC did not grade any of mine PL even though I felt they were. When I called and asked, they said we didn't feel they were PL to give the designation. You could see three washingtons and lettering reflecting in the fields.

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I am wondering if there is a lot of DMPL's hoarded by some of the AP's, there sure are a lot of die polished units, where are all the coins that got struck first? There's only 30K+ out there, even if they wear out quickly? --------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You do know that they have a disclaimer (at least, they did) that covers periods of shows, right? So if there is a major show, it extends the grading time guarantees. You know that, right? It says right on their form that it is "estimated turnaround times - business days". So, I can understand the consternation, but when they have a major show, when they have on-site grading, they take many of their graders, so that does slow things back at the homestead. >>

Yes, I am aware that times will vary, but that is not the issue. But a service level promoted as being "substantially faster" (i.e., express) than a "regular" level of service (according to PCGS 5 days vs 15) needs to actually result in faster results. If an express submission gets their coins in the same (or close to the same) amount of time as a regular submission, then there was a false claim made to induce the extra $20/unit expenditure. Now if express guy gets his coins in 10 days and regular gets his coins in 20 days, then I would say there is no issue (even if it was 10 days instead of the promised 5), and I wouldn't know where to draw the line. In this case, we will have to see how soon express-guy gets his coins relative to regular-guy. There are tons of us waiting for our submission results so we will know. But at this point, is PCGS going to hold the regular-level submissions so that the express submissions get their coins faster?
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    I got my MTB set back from NGC today. I'm happy with the results.

HOT SPRINGS MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    YOSEMITE MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    YELLOWSTONE MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    GRAND CANYON MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    MOUNT HOOD MS 68 EARLY RELEASES

My goal was to get and keep a set of 69's so I went internet shopping to Modern Coin Mart for a 69 Mount Hood.

NGC has a different set of labels depending whether you submit an order of 10 sets or more. Being that I only submitted 1 set, the labeling
    on my set is different than MCM's.

To keep the set consistent I passed on the MCM Mount Hood and will now try to find one on ebay.

I've just realized how silly I've become chasing a certain label.

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    The only one I would like to keep for myself is the Yellowstone. Love the design! When prices settle down, I will pick one up.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's an interesting view of how many are grading PL or DM.

Hot Springs - PL or DM 36
    Hot Springs - neither 120

Yellowstone - PL or DM 34
    Yellowstone - neither 114

Yosemite - PL or DM 32
    Yosemite - neither 106

Grand Canyon - PL or DM 19
    Grand Canyon - neither 126

Mount Hood - PL or DM 33
    Mount Hood - neither 112

So out of 732 coins submitted, 154 graded PL or DM. That's a 21% hit rate. >>

Thanks so much for putting this together CF!!!

Based on my sets, I think that 20% is about right.

I got an NGC 69 set back today. At min. the Yos. should have been PL. I compared it to my Yos. PL, no difference.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>CALLING ALL WHO SENT IN (got back) ATB SETS TO (from) PCGS PRIOR TO NEW DESIGNATIONS...

I don't know or care if its right or wrong, fair on unfair, good business or bad business....

PLEASE CALL PCGS, and request polity that they discount resubmissions to those that has submitted these sets in the last month and only want to add the new designations. >>

I did just that today, very politely. A Senior Manager called me back tonight. She said that she understands and will bring my suggestion to the operational management. The more the merrier in terms of them hearing from us on this.

<< <i>Well I actually got my set from prudential today and all I can say is what the ......... packaging? They just put them in some soft holders and than put tape around the whole thing so coins could not fall out, only problem is the tape stuck to the edges on some. Very sad indeed. Also I did buy some of those airtite holders and it sure seems to me the coins do not sit in them right. Oh well this was my one set to send in and now I am even wondering what to do. image >>

Perhaps they'll learn from this and do better on the other 3650 sets that they have not sold to the public yet.

<< <i>I got my MTB set back from NGC today. I'm happy with the results.

HOT SPRINGS MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    YOSEMITE MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    YELLOWSTONE MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    GRAND CANYON MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    MOUNT HOOD MS 68 EARLY RELEASES

My goal was to get and keep a set of 69's so I went internet shopping to Modern Coin Mart for a 69 Mount Hood.

NGC has a different set of labels depending whether you submit an order of 10 sets or more. Being that I only submitted 1 set, the labeling
    on my set is different than MCM's.

To keep the set consistent I passed on the MCM Mount Hood and will now try to find one on ebay.

I've just realized how silly I've become chasing a certain label. >>

FANTASTIC grades from a single set!!!!!

Of course, that IS the problem w/them doing different labels for bulk and regular.

On a more depressing note....an NGC MS69 ER set just ended w/NO BIDS w/the starting bid set at $2795. Around two weeks ago these sets were selling quickly w/BINs at $3900.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On a more depressing note....an NGC MS69 ER set just ended w/NO BIDS w/the starting bid set at $2795. Around two weeks ago these sets were selling quickly w/BINs at $3900. >>

This set was ended early by the seller and he has either re-listed it or has another set up right now with a bid of $3100 so they aren't dead yet...image
  • I still think of the APMEX set I sold raw for $2895 (minus $300 extortion).....Timing is everything

I will add though that I would not be shocked if the $2895 price becomes reasonable again in a couple of years...
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Don't you hate seeing this?

"Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available), February 28, 2011, 10:39 am, NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92660
    Bullet Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available), February 28, 2011, 7:39 am, NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92660
    Bullet Arrival at Post Office, February 28, 2011, 7:38 am, NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658"
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't you hate seeing this?

"Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available), February 28, 2011, 10:39 am, NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92660
    Bullet Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available), February 28, 2011, 7:39 am, NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92660
    Bullet Arrival at Post Office, February 28, 2011, 7:38 am, NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658" >>

YES!!!!! I'm having the same issue & called USPS to redeliver today. Whats this all about? Did they take the day off?
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL

<< <i>

<< <i>On a more depressing note....an NGC MS69 ER set just ended w/NO BIDS w/the starting bid set at $2795. Around two weeks ago these sets were selling quickly w/BINs at $3900. >>

This set was ended early by the seller and he has either re-listed it or has another set up right now with a bid of $3100 so they aren't dead yet...image >>

Thanks!! I should have looked more carefully. Still way down, but not dead as you note.

<< <i>

This set was ended early by the seller and he has either re-listed it or has another set up right now with a bid of $3100 so they aren't dead yet...image >>

My four MS69 ERs & one MS68 ER will be on eBay at 9pm tonight selling individually. Would rather sell as a lot, but I'm not sure how the 68 will affect purchase decisions.
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL

<< <i>I still think of the APMEX set I sold raw for $2895 (minus $300 extortion).....Timing is everything

I will add though that I would not be shocked if the $2895 price becomes reasonable again in a couple of years... >>

Heck, it was not that long ago that a "sealed" set brought $4K, a PCGS Yos. 69 $4K and NGC 69 ER sets were over $5K. Incredilbe.

<< <i>

<< <i>

My four MS69 ERs & one MS68 ER will be on eBay at 9pm tonight selling individually. Would rather sell as a lot, but I'm not sure how the 68 will affect purchase decisions. >>

Likely worth it to just buy the needed 69 so you can sell a complete set and sell the 68.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

My four MS69 ERs & one MS68 ER will be on eBay at 9pm tonight selling individually. Would rather sell as a lot, but I'm not sure how the 68 will affect purchase decisions. >>

Likely worth it to just buy the needed 69 so you can sell a complete set and sell the 68. >>

I'm not so sure. The 68 is Yosemite & those seem to be the most expensive 69's out there, no?
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Bullet Arrival at Post Office, February 28, 2011, 7:38 am, NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658" >>

YES!!!!! I'm having the same issue & called USPS to redeliver today. Whats this all about? Did they take the day off? >>

Are you new to submitting to PCGS? This is typical. They pick them up when they get to it. PCGS seems very swamped currently. Not a good time to be submitting! When Express service is 10 business days you know things are overly busy. 10 days is crazy!!
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still think of the APMEX set I sold raw for $2895 (minus $300 extortion).....Timing is everything

I will add though that I would not be shocked if the $2895 price becomes reasonable again in a couple of years... >>

I was right behind you 2860 no extortion mtb set. I think next time i would have sent the first one in sold the second sent 3rd one in sold the fourth. That way you get to play in both games. Graded and boxes. Its been a fun ride and prudential called me yesterday and told me if i was unhappy with the set to send it back I pay shipping back but they will send a new set. And we talked about changing there packaging in the future. All in All Its been a great ride.........image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
    ALL DONE! Fedex just left after delivering my last A-Mark set (order #30XX). Of the 5, Yosemite looks the best but still has that small spot on George's cheek The rest look good but die polishing lines are present. Not a PL in the bunch.

Hmmm... To grade or not to grade???

<< <i>

<< <i>

YES!!!!! I'm having the same issue & called USPS to redeliver today. Whats this all about? Did they take the day off? >>

Are you new to submitting to PCGS? This is typical. They pick them up when they get to it. PCGS seems very swamped currently. Not a good time to be submitting! When Express service is 10 business days you know things are overly busy. 10 days is crazy!! >>

Not new to submitting, just do so very infrequently so I haven't experienced this before.
  • HawgstickHawgstick Posts: 240 ✭✭
    PCGS states-Many of these business strike coins were minted from highly polished dies and warrant special recognition. Are the die polish lines everyone is seeing holding these back from a PL designation or helping them?
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I think they should have said "poorly polished dies"
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>

<< <i>

I think an MS68 hurts your set. What is the MS68, ie what MS69 are you missing?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think an MS68 hurts your set. What is the MS68, ie what MS69 are you missing? >>

NM. I see its a Yosemite.
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Some questions about Registered Mail delivery if anybody knows, thanks.

Does it get delivered by a special mailman like express or will it come when my regular mail comes?

If I am not home will they leave a card and I can pick it up at the local post office?

I am not going to be home and it looks like my NGC coins have arrived at the local post office at 7:00am, this morning.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some questions about Registered Mail delivery if anybody knows, thanks.

Does it get delivered by a special mailman like express or will it come when my regular mail comes?

If I am not home will they leave a card and I can pick it up at the local post office?

I am not going to be home and it looks like my NGC coins have arrived at the local post office at 7:00am, this morning. >>

Regular carrier and if you are not at home they will leave a notice. You can pick them up at your post office after your mail carrier gets back from their route.
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Oh good, I may be able to get it then, my regular mail doesn't come until after 4pm. Thanks.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Are you new to submitting to PCGS? This is typical. They pick them up when they get to it. PCGS seems very swamped currently. Not a good time to be submitting! When Express service is 10 business days you know things are overly busy. 10 days is crazy!! >>

not new. It happens on every delivery. I just hate seeing it, that's all.
  • I'm trying to figure out how to send the ATB coins to PCGS for PL consideration. I have some coins from Fidelitrade, and they all appear PL to me. I was told by Customer Service that you submit the coins by using the number that you think the coins will grade at. For example, if you think the Yosemite coin is MSPL, and you want First Strike, you use 506590, which is the First Strike MSPL number for Yosemite. The problem is that they only list MSPL numbers for Mount Hood and Yosemite, not the others. And there is no First Strike number for Mount Hood MSPL. Also, the online form won't accept the MSPL number for Yosemite.

Did I receive incorrect information? Do I only need to submit the coins by using the corresponding First Strike MS numbers and PCGS will automatically consider PL for all of them?

Thanks.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm trying to figure out how to send the ATB coins to PCGS for PL consideration. I have some coins from Fidelitrade, and they all appear PL to me. I was told by Customer Service that you submit the coins by using the number that you think the coins will grade at. For example, if you think the Yosemite coin is MSPL, and you want First Strike, you use 506590, which is the First Strike MSPL number for Yosemite. The problem is that they only list MSPL numbers for Mount Hood and Yosemite, not the others. And there is no First Strike number for Mount Hood MSPL. Also, the online form won't accept the MSPL number for Yosemite.

Did I receive incorrect information? Do I only need to submit the coins by using the corresponding First Strike MS numbers and PCGS will automatically consider PL for all of them?

Thanks. >>

Call them back and ask them for the correct submission number for each coin on your list.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did I receive incorrect information? Do I only need to submit the coins by using the corresponding First Strike MS numbers and PCGS will automatically consider PL for all of them? >>

Yes. From the PCGS announcement on the subject: "All submissions automatically qualify for these new designations without any additional fees." Furthermore, a few board members have received PL and DMPL designations from PCGS recently and all of them just specified the regular FS numbers on their submissions.
  • PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Anyone try to order from MTB lately?

Because as of 3/1 we appear to have reached a milestone:

Silver content in purchase from MTB (before shipping and commission): $34.40/oz.....w/commission shipping: $37.20

Spot price of silver: $34.45/oz.

If buying 25 oz of silver from APMEX in 2011 ASEs (check or wire before shipping): $38.83/oz
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Woo! I just got off the phone with MTB. They shipped my set yesterday and I should have it by Thursday! image

-Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file