Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I only ordered one set and got it. I felt that since it is a one set per household I would not try and get more sets. This would be being to greedy to me and allow those that did not get a set a chance to get one. Is anyone else doing this? >>

There was some holier than thou chatter about this by a couple of members towards the beginning of this thread, but they eventually rolled over and it came out they bought multiples-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I only ordered one set and got it. I felt that since it is a one set per household I would not try and get more sets. This would be being to greedy to me and allow those that did not get a set a chance to get one. Is anyone else doing this? >>

This thread is full of greed! You and I are, definately, in the minority here!
  • I would be happy with one set if it was all PL. Unfortunately, it can take multiple sets to cobble one keeper set together.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I just got my first set and they are really beautiful. They came from A Mark. I wasn't going to open

them but decided as how they were already in PCGS capsules it was safe. My other 2 sets I have

coming will be kept in their unopened boxes. The A Mark ones will be going to PCGS later on for

numerical grading.
  • johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭

<< <i>

This thread is full of greed! You and I are, definately, in the minority here! >>

Seeing that MTB is still taking orders, (and how many times Amark kept coming back to take ore orders) it would seem a good thing for this base year, that many collectors have ordered duplicate sets.

I really wonder if the mint will be able to sell-out the uncircluated 2010 set with a strict 1HH limit. (?)
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was some holier than thou chatter about this by a couple of members towards the beginning of this thread, but they eventually rolled over and it came out they bought multiples-----------BigE >>

Well since I do not believe in a personal god, I cannot really be that holy. I am not holy, but was curious. I just decided that this was the best thing for me to do. 1 set, no others from the initial distribution. Now if one comes in to a dealer in town for sale and the price is right I might buy it. I figured everyone should have a shot and if I bought more than one or say 10 sets using fake addresses or family members that someone who really wanted a set may not get theirs. I think the US Mint wanted it distributed that way.
    I did not use fake names, relatives, or addresses, I just ordered from different distributors.
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Should we assume Prudential is finished? Anyone talked to them lately?
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should we assume Prudential is finished? Anyone talked to them lately? >>

I am still waiting for my Box image As yes I skipped fidetrade and dillion but still waiting to see what happens with the other 2 or 3 . image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Only one here too.

Joe
  • Received my AMarks finally today....

I'm very impressed with the packaging and presentation with these. The coins are great too. I think they would all grade 67-69.

On a few different Yellowstones I've seen, there is some fairly pronounced doubling on "unum." It's a little visible on some of the others, but definitely most pronounced on the Yell. This has already been discussed a bit and I don't expect it to add any value, but it's kind of interesting.

Question: I am not a PCGS member and am considering getting a membership so I can directly submit some of these for grading. Can I use the vouchers with the gold or platinum plans for these, and pay extra for the FS? (My Amarks are FS already, so based on what I've read here, I don't have to pay extra for FS with those).

EDIT: I just called, and you can use the vouchers. You just pay the difference for FS. Any raw coins and any coins already in slabs (AMarks) have to go on two separate forms.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I am still waiting for my Box image As yes I skipped fidetrade and dillion but still waiting to see what happens with the other 2 or 3 . image >>

If we get anything from Jack Hunt, I will be more than surprised. It's a small operation in a restored house!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio

<< <i>

<< <i>

I am still waiting for my Box image As yes I skipped fidetrade and dillion but still waiting to see what happens with the other 2 or 3 . image >>

If we get anything from Jack Hunt, I will be more than surprised. It's a small operation in a restored house! >>

Nothing Like A Good Challenge. I really think alot of the ap's still have sets for sale. Amark is the closest to a sellout. Coinsnthings have had enough time to set theres up and than theres always the last chance Ampex image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭
    Any more DG phone calls?

Most of the AP's are holding on to a stash for later on down the road when they make a resurgence and the heat from the Mint dies down, after all these issues will be the keys--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Any more DG phone calls?

I got a call from them last Thursday just as I was about to leave for the bank.

I had the $ wired to them a half hour later.

I don't remember getting on a call list.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the AP's are holding on to a stash for later on down the road when they make a resurgence and the heat from the Mint dies down, after all these issues will be the keys--------BigE >>

I will follow that mode. If I can complete one PCGS MS69 set. I will sit back and watch it become moon money.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

• << <i>

<< <i>Is there a thread about the mint version of these coins? I searched but didn't see anything. I want to be ready in 2018 when the 2010s are released. >>

link >>

Thanks
  • For those of you holding PCGS 69s and 68s, what are the discernible differences between the two grades? I'm on the fence big time with a few of mine...looks like it may only be worth submitting for 69s now. Maybe 68s, but I dunno.
  • << I only ordered one set and got it. I felt that since it is a one set per household I would not try and get more sets. This would be being to greedy to me and allow those that did not get a set a chance to get one. Is anyone else doing this? >>

Just one here but most here are very greedy.
  • I do not see it as being greedy, it is simply the way things are done and have been done for centuries in this fine country of ours.
  • "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< I only ordered one set and got it. I felt that since it is a one set per household I would not try and get more sets. This would be being to greedy to me and allow those that did not get a set a chance to get one. Is anyone else doing this? >>

Just one here but most here are very greedy. >>

Biting my tongue.... But I do I want to yell LOUDLY at you....
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Anyone else notice the PCGS error on the AMark BU slabs? Mt. Hood National Park does not exist....it's a National Forest!
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

You are not alone, I have felt and done the same thing.

• So what is the best bet on these sets now? Keep Sealed in the boxes or send in for grading?

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So what is the best bet on these sets now? Keep Sealed in the boxes or send in for grading?
    Larry
    Dabigkahuna >>

if you are going to keep them, just hang on to them. You can always grade them later...but you can never seal them up again.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

<< <i>So what is the best bet on these sets now? Keep Sealed in the boxes or send in for grading?

Larry
    Dabigkahuna >>

I have been wondering about this too Larry. Its not like the old days where you could sell an unopened box on e-bay and not worry too much. But with the way buyers have been weaseling out of commitments to purchase graded sets, it seems only a matter of time before an unopened box is claimed to have one or 2 missing or maybe rocks in thereimage Then again, 300.00 to spend on grading a 5 coin set is pretty expensive now, wasn't too much of a worry when the sets were bringing 3K-------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    I opened my set from AMark but plan to keep my other 2 sets sealed as they are not graded.

My checks have cleared payment at both Fidelitrade and MTB so they should br on there way soon.

• << <i>Then again, 300.00 to spend on grading a 5 coin set is pretty expensive now.. >>

My total cost for PCGS grading, including round trip insured shipping, was $215. Of course getting a few 69s makes it well worth it. image

• << <i>

<< <i>Then again, 300.00 to spend on grading a 5 coin set is pretty expensive now.. >>

My total cost for PCGS grading, including round trip insured shipping, was $215. Of course getting a few 69s makes it well worth it. image >>

If you're opening a new collector's club account you can get 8 vouchers for $200 (Platinum membership). First Strike is extra, of course, unless you're sending in AMarks.

That's about $25 a coin for AMarks, not including postage. To me, if you're on the fence between 68 and 69 with the AMarks and are getting the membership, that's not a bad gamble. Unless the 69s crash hard between now and when you get them back. I doubt they'll crash too badly.

• << <i>I did not use fake names, relatives, or addresses, I just ordered from different distributors. >>

I said the same thing a few posts ago but I am sure this is just part of an agenda that he feels he has.

I guess he feels it's OK to buy from a dealer (that may have 100 sets from the Springfield group) but not to use your own name to get a 2nd set from a 2nd AP....

Weird logic....
    Anyone that wants one can get one from fidelitrade or one of the others that still have some for sale. If they are too lazy to go after them

then they should not cry about not having a set as they have had ample opportunity to get one. As for ordering more than one set,all the

more power to those that did, and I feel no remorse about it at all. As a matter of fact I was quite late in even ordering my first set.
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    Just how are those dealers getting all those sets, Bet they would rather buy them at $900-$1000, than $1500+

Wonder how they can do thatimage

Vs, the public getting one set from 1 or 2 or all of the different AP's that are playing nice

<< <i>

<< <i>I did not use fake names, relatives, or addresses, I just ordered from different distributors. >>

I said the same thing a few posts ago but I am sure this is just part of an agenda that he feels he has.

I guess he feels it's OK to buy from a dealer (that may have 100 sets from the Springfield group) but not to use your own name to get a 2nd set from a 2nd AP....

Weird logic.... >>

Well we all have to play the game the way we feel most comfortable. I decided that there was no way I could afford 9 sets, so I am picking and choosing between the ones. The whole logic of just buying one set is fine for some, but for others with some extra cash buying from seperate AP"s is just no big deal. The only reason you see so may Amark sets on ebay is because they made it to easy for friends and family to join in. Again nothing wrong with that and i hope you don't get stuck with 2 many sets. I have sold my first three sets mtb goldcenter, and amarks. Going to keep my prudential as i have heard there killer looking(will see) and will leave one more open to whoever comes up next. Its funny i have never sold any coins on ebay always been a buyer, and this was a good one to learn some of the lessons of a flip. Most of the AP's still have sets if we don't buy them than the dealers surely will. image

Link to My Registry Set.

Amen brother!!!
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just one here but most here are very greedy. >>

I would not call it greed. When you learn that you can clear $500-1000 by doing something very simple and perfectly legal, taking advantage of it is only common sense, and is a little Darwinistic. And let's be honest, it was not without risk. On top of that, I felt it was necessary to acquire multiple sets in order to be able to assemble a complete set with decent grades, rather than being stuck with any MS62s or MS64s that I might end up with if I buy only 1 set.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody get a shipment email from Fidelitrade today? Wasn't it their plan to batch 'em out every Tuesday? I'm still waiting (Order acceptance email 1/24, check cleared 1/26)...
  • I have sold my first three sets mtb goldcenter, and amarks

Are you guys paying income tax or does that interfere with your bottom line?
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Are you guys paying income tax or does that interfere with your bottom line? >>

I'm still carrying over capital losses from the last Wall Street blow-up....lucky me!
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you guys paying income tax or does that interfere with your bottom line? >>

Taxes interfere with the bottom line regardless of what you do, whether it's flipping a set of coins, selling a stock for a profit, or working for 40 hours/week. Why would or should having to pay taxes "interfere" with anyone's attempt to make money when you cannot escape it? Does having to pay taxes "interfere" with your desire to win the lottery also?
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have sold my first three sets mtb goldcenter, and amarks

Are you guys paying income tax or does that interfere with your bottom line? >>

Income tax and social security tax - and still netted $1400 on my first set - thanks for asking.
  • Stepped around that question nicely. You're assuming everyone here is going to claim there profits and they shouldn't consider the tax they are "going" to pay as interference with profits. You clearly are one of those who will claim every penny.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Stepped around that question nicely. You're assuming everyone here is going to claim there profits and they shouldn't consider the tax they are "going" to pay as interference with profits. You clearly are one of those who will claim every penny. >>

I also like to live in a country where bridges don't collapse, aircraft don't fall out of the sky and the trains run relatively on schedule...and that all costs money. Such is life.

• << <i>Anybody get a shipment email from Fidelitrade today? Wasn't it their plan to batch 'em out every Tuesday? I'm still waiting (Order acceptance email 1/24, check cleared 1/26)... >>

Same dates as me....still waiting

<< <i>Stepped around that question nicely. You're assuming everyone here is going to claim there profits and they shouldn't consider the tax they are "going" to pay as interference with profits. You clearly are one of those who will claim every penny. >>

You would be very foolish to not report profits. It is so easy for the IRS (or State DOR) to get electronic records and do a quick sort. A one off sale like this might be missed, but if you are buying in quantity on your credit card (eBay) a simple look at your purchase level compared to your reported income will generate a red flag fairly quick. Even if you sell the items local, your B&M has your name and the if he is audited, your sales are there for the auditor to see. Sell only in cash - what do you do with the cash?
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sell only in cash - what do you do with the cash? >>

Not that I am avoiding tax responsibilities (I'm not), but do you seriously think anyone would have any trouble spending cash? I don't...

<< <i>

<< <i>Sell only in cash - what do you do with the cash? >>

Not that I am avoiding tax responsibilities (I'm not), but do you seriously think anyone would have any trouble spending cash? I don't... >>

You won't have any trouble spending the cash, you will have trouble explaining to the auditor why your grocery bills went to nothing (according to your checkbook) and you bought less gas but your mileage on your car shows you still drive and that is a nice tv - how did you buy it?
  • I wonder how long it will be until the 1st toned puck hits the bay....Lots of room for the pretty colors image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file