Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    I agree about the PL thing. I got 2 that look like that, and it blew me away when I saw them. I have them going to NGC now, and can't wait until they get there hoping they hold up in shipping. I would like to compare a DPL and a PL in person.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ok, I've heard a lot of talk about PL and DPL..I've seen several sets of these coins and thought "oh yeah, that is probably PL". Well, I think now that I've seen what I really think is a PL, I know the others were NOT PL. What do you think of this one? The black rods you see in the background are the top of a metal bookshelf across a 20 ft room.
    image >>

I have a Yos. PL on Ebay as part of an NGC 69 set. It is NOT as PL as your MH. Your MH looks fantastic!!! PL for sure IMHO, DPL???
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>Prices are taking a bit of a beating tonight. I guess that's what happens when everybody ends their auctions on a Sunday....

When things are done tonight, I'm going to take a look through and see who's buying these things. We're getting close to where the dealers have to be tempted to step in. >>

I really don't understand why some sellers end tons of the same thing within a one hour span on the same night. Asking for a beating! Of course, this also sets the bar lower moving forward. They would do much better to stagger them.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I've seen several where I could see myself...and a lot where I couldn't make out my face. but this one looks even better than the picture in hand. The obverse is also mirrored but all of these I've seen so far magnify the reflection on that side.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
    It really looks incredible. You've GOT to send it in! I just looked at current and completed auctions. NOT ONE MH PL in any grade. Yos is the most common, then Yellow., occasional HS and one or two GCs but NO MH. A MH PL looks like it would be quite the find!

How does it look grade wise other than the PL?
  • ok how are the different ap`s coins holding up now that more are in your hands. Looks like ftrade is coming up scratched with lots of rim dings. MTB was the leader in best coins for a while.AMARK has the best packaging I`ve seen both good and bad puks in them though. How are the dillon gage coins turning out clean coins or dings and blemishes. Any other AP`s puks have the suction rings I haven't seen any on mine yet. Please rate the AP`s you have seen Thanks

• << <i>

<< <i>Prices are taking a bit of a beating tonight. I guess that's what happens when everybody ends their auctions on a Sunday....

When things are done tonight, I'm going to take a look through and see who's buying these things. We're getting close to where the dealers have to be tempted to step in. >>

I really don't understand why some sellers end tons of the same thing within a one hour span on the same night. Asking for a beating! Of course, this also sets the bar lower moving forward. They would do much better to stagger them. >>

There are a lot of newb flippers out there. Good, get them and their weak hands out of here. The faster they sell these for a pittance the faster the price will go back up and the PRO flippers can rake in the moon money. These coins ALWAYS go up. It's like investing in real estate- you can't lose!
    No question about the newbie flippers, but, for instance, if you look at the NGC 68s, the same, very experienced and well respected seller sold tons of them in the same hour. Just one example.
  • I agree. I am holding a couple sets. I am sure in 10 years these sets will be worth big money. I just wonder if the mint will actually make the entire series? I think they are soon to have difficulty making enough ASE's.

<< <i>It really looks incredible. You've GOT to send it in! I just looked at current and completed auctions. NOT ONE MH PL in any grade. Yos is the most common, then Yellow., occasional HS and one or two GCs but NO MH. A MH PL looks like it would be quite the find!
    How does it look grade wise other than the PL? >>

It is definitely an ms69 even by pcgs. It came in a set of fidelitrades. One more coin is probably ms68 (pcgs). The rest had such rough rims that my gloves were getting caught on it.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No question about the newbie flippers, but, for instance, if you look at the NGC 68s, the same, very experienced and well respected seller sold tons of them in the same hour. Just one example. >>

The reason for that is usually that they have money tied up and aren't (believe it or not) overly greedy. As long as they get their original "investment" +xx%, then they take it and move on to the next item. It's a business that way. The individuals sit there holding and hoping for the most. They usually get upset because of the former group, and can't believe the lower prices.

I can't blame either group. I usually sit in the latter's group as well, but I do understand the former. If they have $1000 tied up, and "might" make $1000 profit (sell for $2000) but have a lot of others trying the same and may not be the one bought by limited demand, OR they can see everyone trying to sell for $1800-$2000 but know they should sell quickly if they sell for $1700, then that is 70% profit and a "sure thing". The experienced, the businesses, and the scared newbies who used their lunch money to buy the items are usually the ones who will take almost any amount of profit as long as it is quick.

Also, remember that the more active, and higher volume, sellers usually have ebay fee reductions by hitting certain sales goals (the ratings, etc). So, while most "normal" folks may end up paying ~10% for fees, top sellers may be paying a lesser %, so it is worth it to them.

For me, one thing I have found on flips over the years is that the first ones to get the item can RAKE IT IN (and should do normal auctions). Once the items get more "common" and prices start the downward trend, unless you have top pops, you need to get out quick (ie....short auctions of 1 day, or may 3....not 7 or 10, or a rightly priced BIN/Best offer). That's how I sold my a-mark set....a BIN, that I lowered once, as the prices went down about the time I listed.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>No question about the newbie flippers, but, for instance, if you look at the NGC 68s, the same, very experienced and well respected seller sold tons of them in the same hour. Just one example. >>

Just lazy on their part. Should have staggered them as was mentioned earlier.

<< <i>

<< <i>No question about the newbie flippers, but, for instance, if you look at the NGC 68s, the same, very experienced and well respected seller sold tons of them in the same hour. Just one example. >>

The reason for that is usually that they have money tied up and aren't (believe it or not) overly greedy. As long as they get their original "investment" +xx%, then they take it and move on to the next item. It's a business that way. The individuals sit there holding and hoping for the most. They usually get upset because of the former group, and can't believe the lower prices.

I can't blame either group. I usually sit in the latter's group as well, but I do understand the former. If they have $1000 tied up, and "might" make $1000 profit (sell for $2000) but have a lot of others trying the same and may not be the one bought by limited demand, OR they can see everyone trying to sell for $1800-$2000 but know they should sell quickly if they sell for $1700, then that is 70% profit and a "sure thing". The experienced, the businesses, and the scared newbies who used their lunch money to buy the items are usually the ones who will take almost any amount of profit as long as it is quick.

Also, remember that the more active, and higher volume, sellers usually have ebay fee reductions by hitting certain sales goals (the ratings, etc). So, while most "normal" folks may end up paying ~10% for fees, top sellers may be paying a lesser %, so it is worth it to them.

For me, one thing I have found on flips over the years is that the first ones to get the item can RAKE IT IN (and should do normal auctions). Once the items get more "common" and prices start the downward trend, unless you have top pops, you need to get out quick (ie....short auctions of 1 day, or may 3....not 7 or 10, or a rightly priced BIN/Best offer). That's how I sold my a-mark set....a BIN, that I lowered once, as the prices went down about the time I listed. >>

Outstanding commentary. Thanks!

I certainly understand your points. That said, simply staggering the finish times by a day or two would seem an obvious way to make more money w/essentially no additional cost. Tying the money up for a day or even a few days more to get probably at least 10% higher sales prices would seem a no-brainer. Despite that, they end the same/similar items one after another, rapid fire, and drive prices through the floor. A happy medium would seem just so obvious.

I was an Ebay "PowerSeller" for a while w/perfect DSRs. When offering free-shipping I got, I believe, a 40% discount on the FVF - double the discount if I had a shipping charge. This is also how the smaller sellers get killed. Not only do the higher-volume sellers get a huge FVF discount, but by offering free-shipping they get a larger discount which MORE than offsets the shipping charge while the smaller seller, who has to offer free shipping to stay competitive, gets nailed again.

Lastly, another factor that has to be considered is the lower FVF for auctions vs. BIN/OBO. The difference can be substantial. Of course, this is largely mitigated for the high-volume sellers via the FVF discount.
  • Thanks for the good discussion, Bochi and R.

Bigdaddy, you have a nice mirror there. Good luck.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
    11 auctions just ended with ending prices no higher than $1565. It also appeared there were only about 6 different bidders interested between all 11.
    Should I be worried? I mailed my ATB set to NGC on Saturday at 10am PT and the only tracking information so far is it going to the main post office about 20 minutes away, it apparently hasn't even got on a plane for Florida yet. Is this normal or did they just forget to scan it?
  • Just to put it into perspective if each bullion set were to be acquired each year at about $1,000 per 5 coins youre looking at a minimum of $11,000 for the entire run. IMO $11,000 for 550 oz of silver is not a realistic number so when it is all said and done an entire run can very well sell for twice or three times as much. Oh and if you also collect the numi versions....well you get my drift

• << <i>Should I be worried? I mailed my ATB set to NGC on Saturday at 10am PT and the only tracking information so far is it going to the main post office about 20 minutes away, it apparently hasn't even got on a plane for Florida yet. Is this normal or did they just forget to scan it? >>

I assume it was sent Express Mail....It will be scanned on arrival which should be this AM and again on delivery today. I found not much if anything gets scanned on Sunday...
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

If anybody out there wants advice and can stand the pressure of not looking at their new coins then DO

NOT OPEN THEM when they get them. They will be worth more a year from now if unopened. ER status

is closed as of today and PCGS has stated that they are all 1st strikes so what will you gain?

• << <i>It really looks incredible. You've GOT to send it in! I just looked at current and completed auctions. NOT ONE MH PL in any grade. Yos is the most common, then Yellow., occasional HS and one or two GCs but NO MH. A MH PL looks like it would be quite the find!

There is a Mt Hood PL MS69 on ebay right now. No idea what it would go for.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a buddy at work order a MTB set for me. He got it last week and said 3 outta the 5 looked great however he took them out of the holders twice and fingered them. I am worried all my coins are probably a grade lower now. I had planned on sending them to PCGS this week. Is there anything I should do now that he has finegered them before sending to PCGS?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>

<< <i>It really looks incredible. You've GOT to send it in! I just looked at current and completed auctions. NOT ONE MH PL in any grade. Yos is the most common, then Yellow., occasional HS and one or two GCs but NO MH. A MH PL looks like it would be quite the find!

There is a Mt Hood PL MS69 on ebay right now. No idea what it would go for. >>

Linked

• << <i>If anybody out there wants advice and can stand the pressure of not looking at their new coins then DO

NOT OPEN THEM when they get them. They will be worth more a year from now if unopened. ER status

is closed as of today and PCGS has stated that they are all 1st strikes so what will you gain? >>

Well, you could gain some PL's or a DPL or some great looking 69's
    You will still have them depending on what happens in the market.
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a buddy at work order a MTB set for me. He got it last week and said 3 outta the 5 looked great however he took them out of the holders twice and fingered them. I am worried all my coins are probably a grade lower now. I had planned on sending them to PCGS this week. Is there anything I should do now that he has finegered them before sending to PCGS? >>

fingered them? image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny

<< <i>

<< <i>I had a buddy at work order a MTB set for me. He got it last week and said 3 outta the 5 looked great however he took them out of the holders twice and fingered them. I am worried all my coins are probably a grade lower now. I had planned on sending them to PCGS this week. Is there anything I should do now that he has finegered them before sending to PCGS? >>

fingered them? image >>

Pray he held them buy the edges but have your brass knuckles ready!
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I believe the correct expression here is that he "fondled" them! image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Now thats just funny stuff right dar!!! Not that the coins were handled by bare hands but the semantics are hilarious
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

fingered them? image >>

Pray he held them buy the edges but have your brass knuckles ready! >>

I already had a meltdown on him. I had been told before that handling them barehanded lowers there grade a full grade..............any thoughts?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

BRASS KNUCKLES!!!!!
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<fingered them? >>

But on Valentine's Day....so at least he was date appropriate!
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    ER status ends today, received coins only - not like PCGS where it can be sealed and sent later

all pucks get FS status if you want it from PCGS, regardless of date sent/received.
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nearly 9000 posts for a bunch of silver rounds............Amazing.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>ER status ends today, received coins only - not like PCGS where it can be sealed and sent later

all pucks get FS status if you want it from PCGS, regardless of date sent/received. >>

Just wondering, but why the change from the policy of First Strike Designation for coins submitted within the first 30 days or postmarked for delivery sealed etc, to the new, All coins will qualify???

• << <i>Nearly 9000 posts for a bunch of silver rounds............Amazing. >>

Yeah, there won't be near as many for the US Mint P version thread simply because it will all be over within one day. The only reason these are so desired and talked about is because of the staggered release by the APs, which was simply genius. I never went to fidelitrade.com or dillongage.com before all this happened.

Is it going to be all over in 1 day or are they going to spread it out over 5 different days?
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    Opened 5 of my 6 sets.
    2 FideliTrades are now at NGC for Early Release and maybe some PLs.
    3 Amarks (PCGS's will be resubmitted in a couple years) One box delivered today will remain sealed. No rush to see how these are.
    1 MTB-this one will be my raw set-has some PLs in them. Thinking maybe a Whitman Coin Folder if they make them. Throw in a couple of Taco Bell Napkins and let the toning begin.

• So I called MTB this morning at 6am pst which is 9am EST when they open for trading. I finally got lucky and the lady on the line asked for my email address and sent me the forms to put in my order for ATB coins! Seems they still have some left!

She told me they prefer personal check and not to send a wire or cashier's check. = So I'll have to wait 17 days. Sadly I don't have personal checks because I never write checks! So I'll have to do a cashier's check anyways. If they were a bank I do know that the hold period for a Cashier's check is 2 business days, although I don't know how those FED rules would apply for MTB.
    Has anyone else noticed that each of the 2010's have water in their designs.

Edit: To add to my earlier post about USPS Express: it has made it to FL and is awaiting delivery.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Just got the ATB Order acceptance email from Ftrade. I overnighted a check on 1-24 received 1-25....image

Mine was just accepted also. It said allow 3 to 4 weeks for delivery by fed ex.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only ordered one set and got it. I felt that since it is a one set per household I would not try and get more sets. This would be being to greedy to me and allow those that did not get a set a chance to get one. Is anyone else doing this?

Not if they can afford more than one. I know I have one set arriving today and 2 more on the way.
  • My feeling is that anyone who wanted a set at AP price should have been able to get one...Look at all the members here who have successfully ordered more than one....

You are not doing anyone a favor by just ordering one....
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nearly 9000 posts for a bunch of silver rounds............Amazing. >>

Also amazing is this thread hasn't been relegated to the PM Forum.
  • I sent an Overnite check to Ftrade on Jan-6, and just recieved this :

--Order Acceptance--

Thank you for your order of America the Beautiful Coins. Your order has been accepted and is now being processed.

Please allow up to four weeks for your coins to arrive.
    The coins will be shipped to the address on your purchase order, via FedEx Express Saver Service.

Again, thank you for your business.
    FideliTrade Incorporated

Guess my order fell in some crack somewhere ....image

but at least I have a set coming... image
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

Ftrade:
    Sent overnight on the Jan 24th, and Receipt of Correspondence on the Jan 26th and accepted on Feb 14th

Hopefully they arrive in good shape, kinda scared

I sold my 1st a-mark on ebay and just sold my 2nd set to MCM that is coming tomorrow.

I bought a walther P22 with the profit so far, the rest I will buy some coins image
  • Is there a thread about the mint version of these coins? I searched but didn't see anything. I want to be ready in 2018 when the 2010s are released.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a thread about the mint version of these coins? I searched but didn't see anything. I want to be ready in 2018 when the 2010s are released. >>

link
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Also amazing is this thread hasn't been relegated to the PM Forum. >>

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file