Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• << <i>

<< <i>image

Got my set yesterday from A-Mark. The only obvious marking/flaw that I saw was this on Mt. Hood. For those who are familiar with grading, how would something like this be evaluated? Is there a certain amount of leeway for bullion coins? >>

I think the spiked 0 is rather cool. >>

Would it be worth sending in to be graded or just sell in the slabbed holder as Choice BU? Opinions welcomed.
  • I was one of the 350-400 that got a set from APMEX. With that said I think their reputation now is right down there with the Gold Center. As stated above, they are the one company that has a website set up for consumer transactions. After the new guidelines were issued they should have been THE FIRST to sell to the public...not scraping up the rear of the pack. It is just them being passive aggressive after their hands were slapped by the Mint and taking THEIR toys to THEIR room to play.

I think eyes have been open towards Provident and others as much cheaper sources of consumer bullion needs...I had never heard of them before this fiasco and see they have much better prices some even take PayPal...

Don't paint APMEX as good people 'cuz they gave us 1st buyers a rebate from the $1395...they HAD to per the Mint and now they are just going to sit on the other 3000+ sets (or maybe they pulled a Gold Center and they're already sold...)

• << <i> Would it be worth sending in to be graded or just sell in the slabbed holder as Choice BU? Opinions welcomed. >>

It depends on what the condition of the whole coin is....If it has a potential 68-69 grade then go for it. Otherwise the Choice holders are cool....
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hum let me think , I guess the opinions and mileage varies when it comes to Ampex. On my book they are class A scumbags, they started the whole mess and either sold half the coins to preferred customers or are still sitting on half. I have no idea how anyone can consider them to be a good company... >>

What really POs me about them is when you ask the customer service rep they give some bs answer about having to figure out how to sell them. Really, apmex doesn't know how to sell silver? I don't appreciated being treated like a retard by a companies rep. Makes me not want to give them money... >>

Welcome Flipper! So what brings you to these pucks? What a handle image
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>I opened my MTB set today...The best set yet by far.

4 of the 5 are mirror's. The Mount Hood although very nice is not quite mirrored. It has the look of my Amark set.

I was going to just keep them as they came. I changed my mind and off they go for Early Release labels. >>

It is interesting how the differences between different AP's sets seem to be consistent. The MTBs are killer - nice, morrored fields, overall great coins. Between mine and my father's MTB sets 3 PCGS 69s, five NGC MS69ERs w/a 69PL Yos. and one 68 + one beater which I sold raw (w/very nice pics so the buyer knew exactly what he was getting!). I don't know whether any of the NGC 69s would have been PCGS 69s. The three that I sent to PCGS were clearly the best three. I don't think that any of the NGC 69s would have made 69 at PCGS but don't know for sure of course.

The A Marks looked nice but a lot more die polish which resulted in no mirrored fields. What's up w/these consistant differences? Why?

Still looking to get a PCGS 69 Mt. Hood to complete my PCGS 69 set. Hopefully will be in the F Trade set.

I am worried about how the F Trade pucks will do w/the bubble wrap bags and no capsules. We'll know very soon.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>From what I have learned Silvertowne will be selling whatever they get to the coin channel guys and HSN and the like. >>

Are you guys talking about this Silvertowne? link

They have ATB sets and individual ATB coins on the front page. Set $2795, NGC MS 69 ER individuals @ $500 and $600... >>

Seems to be strange pricing, looks to be an ungraded set for 2795, and buying separate you can put together a NGC 69 set for about the same price?? >>

Man those NGC 69s are dropping fast....the buyers of the $5500 NGC 69ER sets will not be happy.

Once the non-ER sets start showing up will the ER sets command much of a premium? Not easy to tell them apart like the usual blue stripe ER vs. non-blue stripe regular labels of other issues.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>image

Got my set yesterday from A-Mark. The only obvious marking/flaw that I saw was this on Mt. Hood. For those who are familiar with grading, how would something like this be evaluated? Is there a certain amount of leeway for bullion coins? >>

Would it be worth sending in to be graded or just sell in the slabbed holder as Choice BU? Opinions welcomed. >>

Sell in the CBU slab ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭
    APMEX is not sitting on 3300 sets of these. That represents $2,640,000 in capital that is not able to produce a return - sets can go to $10,000 and APMEX will still make $80 a set. They have sold their sets (after cherrypicking) and will have a list to show they complied with the one per HH rule - just like TGC does...
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

4 of the 5 are mirror's. The Mount Hood although very nice is not quite mirrored. It has the look of my Amark set.

I was going to just keep them as they came. I changed my mind and off they go for Early Release labels. >>

It is interesting how the differences between different AP's sets seem to be consistent. The MTBs are killer - nice, morrored fields, overall great coins. Between mine and my father's MTB sets 3 PCGS 69s, five NGC MS69ERs w/a 69PL Yos. and one 68 + one beater which I sold raw (w/very nice pics so the buyer knew exactly what he was getting!). I don't know whether any of the NGC 69s would have been PCGS 69s. The three that I sent to PCGS were clearly the best three. I don't think that any of the NGC 69s would have made 69 at PCGS but don't know for sure of course.

The A Marks looked nice but a lot more die polish which resulted in no mirrored fields. What's up w/these consistant differences? Why?

Still looking to get a PCGS 69 Mt. Hood to complete my PCGS 69 set. Hopefully will be in the F Trade set.

I am worried about how the F Trade pucks will do w/the bubble wrap bags and no capsules. We'll know very soon. >>

I found exactly the opposite. The MTB set was full of die polish and whacks while the AMark set was superb, top notch and mostly prooflike. I'll post a report Friday when I get my F-Trade pucks.

• << <i>APMEX is not sitting on 3300 sets of these. That represents $2,640,000 in capital that is not able to produce a return - sets can go to $10,000 and APMEX will still make $80 a set. They have sold their sets (after cherrypicking) and will have a list to show they complied with the one per HH rule - just like TGC does... >>

As I mentioned earlier, it actually is kinda doing some work for them. Its probably the biggest thing they've ever had that exploded their customer information data base with new emails and addresses from which to spam people at. They are the ONLY AP company that I've seen to have been taking advantage of all the emails cause I get spammed with APMEX offers now and its pissing me off.

On a side note... I emailed my contact again at Dillon gage one month since my last email. He says they're currently going through the original list. Dunno if its true or not but I have no reason at the moment not to believe him since he's been a very nice character and has been ontop of his email replies like nobody's business.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I found exactly the opposite. The MTB set was full of die polish and whacks while the AMark set was superb, top notch and mostly prooflike. I'll post a report Friday when I get my F-Trade pucks. >>

Similar to my results with both A-Mark and MTB. Although my MTBs were not whacked too badly, the Mt. Hood obverse looked like it had been scrubbed with a brillo pad the die polish was so pronounced. Interestingly, my three Mt. Hood's show the progression of the die polish. The A-mark one is virtually free of excessive polish lines, the APMEX one exhibits heavy die polish on about half of George's portrait and the MTB one has heavy die polish on both the portrait and fields. That tells me that there was no order in the distribution of the pucks - it's random IMO, and any perceived quality trends may be just be luck of the draw...

• << <i>

<< <i>I found exactly the opposite. The MTB set was full of die polish and whacks while the AMark set was superb, top notch and mostly prooflike. I'll post a report Friday when I get my F-Trade pucks. >>

Similar to my results with both A-Mark and MTB. Although my MTBs were not whacked too badly, the Mt. Hood obverse looked like it had been scrubbed with a brillo pad the die polish was so pronounced. Interestingly, my three Mt. Hood's show the progression of the die polish. The A-mark one is virtually free of excessive polish lines, the APMEX one exhibits heavy die polish on about half of George's portrait and the MTB one has heavy die polish on both the portrait and fields. That tells me that there was no order in the distribution of the pucks - it's random IMO, and any perceived quality trends may be just be luck of the draw... >>

My coins:

APMEX...marks galore

MTB.....probably actually used in a hockey game

AMark.....great looking coins
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    My results:

TGC: The Cherry juice dripped off the coins and landed on my shoe.

A-Mark: Top Notch, a couple with mirrors.image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What really POs me about them is when you ask the customer service rep they give some bs answer about having to figure out how to sell them. Really, apmex doesn't know how to sell silver? I don't appreciated being treated like a retard by a companies rep. Makes me not want to give them money...

Welcome! In fact, welcome to the continuing influx of new posters!image

Apmex is getting their wish, as far as I'm concerned. I was a prior customer and I was on their wait lists, but I get the same runaround. I don't appreciate being lied-to, kept in the dark and given the run-around. There's lots of other dealers to buy from, and that's my policy now.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>image

Would it be worth sending in to be graded or just sell in the slabbed holder as Choice BU? Opinions welcomed. >>

Are you sure the "spike" is not just a scratch? That is an incused 0, so it appears that the mark is under the digit but it is really not?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • I think the scratch was on the planchet before it was stamped....
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

My guess is the order numbers have something to do with them. There are definitely batches of mirrored coins in the Amark sets. I have them. While others on here did not get them. Its just the luck of the draw.

Its seems from some of the results MTB and Amark do not cherrypick.
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    The first FideliTrade orders should be arriving today as long as Fedex doesn't hold them for the full three days. Please post how they are packaged when the first person gets one! I can just see me opening my box and having the coins loose in the box all banged up.

• << <i>

I am worried about how the F Trade pucks will do w/the bubble wrap bags and no capsules. We'll know very soon. >>

Glad your MTBs were in good shape. Many others had problems with MTB coins. I think on this thread there have been more positive statements on A-Mark coins.
    If the my Feditrades are proof like I will send them to NGC before the Early Release deadline, if not they will stay raw.
  • Well I still have not received my set from A-Mark. Called just now and they said my order is delayed because it is a unique address...I guess they dont deal with APO addresses too often. At least the rep told me my order is good but it should be going out very soon
  • Tracking my Ftrade set. Sitting in Memphis, Tn. They are getting hammered with snow. I hope it isn't delayed.image
    GOD BLESS AMERICA
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just received my shipment confirmation from AMark (order placed on 1/18...#10XX). Expected deliver date is 2/14.

My brother-in-law just got a phone call from Dillon Gage requesting him to send payment for his set.

• << <i>Just received my shipment confirmation from AMark (order placed on 1/18...#10XX). Expected deliver date is 2/14.

My brother-in-law just got a phone call from Dillon Gage requesting him to send payment for his set. >>

Awesome. So it looks like they are finally going down their list.
  • Just called mtb and was sent account info sheet, I keep trying but no atb orders yet. Sorry im` a newb but thought you might like to know
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the my Feditrades are proof like I will send them to NGC before the Early Release deadline, if not they will stay raw. >>

I think the NGC early release is the clear winner over the PCGS first strike. I am not even sure why anyone would pay PCGS for the first strike label.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>

<< <i>If the my Feditrades are proof like I will send them to NGC before the Early Release deadline, if not they will stay raw. >>

I think the NGC early release is the clear winner over the PCGS first strike. I am not even sure why anyone would pay PCGS for the first strike label. >>

You're joking right? PCGS First Strike 69's are selling for double, sometimes more then NGC Early Release 69's!! PCGS First Strike labels eat NGC ER Labels lunchimage
  • LETS NOT WRITE OFF DILLON GAGE SO FAST...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

NOTICE ABOUT AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL 5 OUNCE SILVER COINS:
    Representatives will soon begin contacting customers whose names were put on the original waiting list.
    Contact will be made in the order in which the names were received. Calls will continue while supplies last.

We apologize but we are unable to accept phone calls regarding these coins. If further information becomes
    available, it will be posted on this website.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just called mtb and was sent account info sheet, I keep trying but no atb orders yet. Sorry im` a newb but thought you might like to know >>

image to the flipping madness! image
    Amark just sent my other set today. I was one of the last to order last week. 34XX. Looks like they are doing their orders in reverse. Last in, First out. Let me see some more of those mirrored versions.

• << <i>LETS NOT WRITE OFF DILLON GAGE SO FAST...

Representatives will soon begin contacting customers whose names were put on the original waiting list.
    Contact will be made in the order in which the names were received. Calls will continue while supplies last.

We apologize but we are unable to accept phone calls regarding these coins. If further information becomes

Thank you for your patience and understanding. >>

My gut is still telling me that the general public, to DG, is just there to pick up the scraps. Plus, they can say, "hey, we sold to the public!"

Seeing an order number like 34xx from Amark is a beautiful thing.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Can any one please let me How much will it cost for the 5oz National Park Silver Coin to be Graded By PCGS with First Strike and NGC with Early Release.
    1. Pcgs - (cost per coin and what is the Service i should specify) + (Cost per First Strike)

2. Ngc - (cost per coin and what is the Service i should specify) + (Cost per Early Release)

Thanks

• << <i>LETS NOT WRITE OFF DILLON GAGE SO FAST...

Thank you for your patience and understanding. >>

I wonder if someone tipped them off.... to these facts...

1. We (and others?) noticed sets for sale on eBay.

2. Some of us called them and were told that they were sold out, despite being on the list, but never contacted. (I was told by two reps that they were SOLD OUT, and that had I been early enough on the list, then I would have been contacted, and BTW, I signed up on their list Dec. 10, 2010).

3. Their website claimed that they were sill evaluating things (after selling out already?).

So, maybe they are changing their story after already selling everything, or nearly everything?
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Grades posted a few minutes ago.

pretty happy with them, thought they would both 69 but it is ok with me.

Good luck to others who sent them in.

Joe

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think the NGC early release is the clear winner over the PCGS first strike. I am not even sure why anyone would pay PCGS for the first strike label. >>

You're joking right? PCGS First Strike 69's are selling for double, sometimes more then NGC Early Release 69's!! PCGS First Strike labels eat NGC ER Labels lunchimage >>

Whoa I am not talking 69 vs 69. PCGS is the clear cut winner grade wise.

All I am saying is the NGC early release is actually an early release not just some label that ALL PCGS coins qualify for.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    MTB set arrived just now.
    No email shipping confirmation or tracking number.
    MTB review:

Condition:
    Better than APMEX, not as good as A-mark. One of the George's has a little numismatic rosacea thing going on.

Packaging:
    They came in Third place, 5 padded envelopes taped the the bottom of a box and one of the coins
    broke through the envelope it was in and was bouncing around in the box looking for trouble.
  • Anyone know the deal with Jack Hunt?

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just received PCGS Grades for my APMEX puck set:

Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade

1 1 19160941 505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68
    2 1 19160942 505100 2010 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    3 1 19160943 505104 2010 25C Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    4 1 19160944 505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69
    5 1 19160945 505102 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69

How much are the Yellowstone and Yosemite in PCGS MS69?

<< <i>Just received PCGS Grades for my APMEX puck set:

How much are the Yellowstone and Yosemite in PCGS MS69? >>

Nice!

<< <i>Anyone know the deal with Jack Hunt? >>

This is all we know:

"DO NOT CALL!!!

Absolutely No Phone Calls regarding ATB Coins will be taken at this time."

What service did you submit under and what was the turnaround time????image

NGC- submit modern tier at $17 with early release labeling. Plus add $25 per coin for the oversized holder. Shipping and handling around $30. So about $240 for 5 coins.(Does not include your shipping with insurance to NGC). Just an estimate but its close.

Somebody did the PCGS cost a few posts ago.

<< <i>Grades posted a few minutes ago.

pretty happy with them, thought they would both 69 but it is ok with me.

Good luck to others who sent them in.

Joe

image >>

The yos will likely be the lowest 69 pop.

<< <i>

Currently pcgs 69fs are going for over 2x NGC 69 vs and 1.5 x NGC 69 er pl
    Taken from the shared order page, man someone got spanked by PCGS on this submission:

1 1 18720231 505100 2010 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS66
    1 2 18720232 505100 2010 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS64
    1 3 18720233 505100 2010 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68
    1 4 18720234 505100 2010 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    1 5 18720235 505100 2010 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    2 1 18720236 505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS65
    2 2 18720237 505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS62
    2 3 18720238 505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS66
    2 4 18720239 505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS66
    2 5 18720240 505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69
    3 1 18720241 505102 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    3 2 18720242 505102 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69
    3 3 18720243 505102 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68
    3 4 18720244 505102 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS65
    3 5 18720245 505102 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS66
    4 1 18720246 505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    4 2 18720247 505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS64
    4 3 18720248 505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68
    4 4 18720249 505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS66
    4 5 18720250 505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    5 1 18720251 505104 2010 25C Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    5 2 18720252 505104 2010 25C Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68
    5 3 18720253 505104 2010 25C Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS66
    5 4 18720254 505104 2010 25C Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS68
    5 5 18720255 505104 2010 25C Mount Hood NP - 5 oz Silver US MS67
    Total Items: 25
    Date Received: 1/18/2011
    Date Shipped: N/A
    Order Status: Shipped

• All I am saying is the NGC early release is actually an early release not just some label that ALL PCGS coins qualify for.

Please explain the difference?
  • Just got my grades back from NGC. These were an Apmex set in the capsules - takes forever to gets this grading turned around. All Early Release.

Hot Springs MS67
    Yosemite MS67
    Grand Canyon MS68
    Yellowstone MS68

But the shining star of the set is the Mount Hood, MS69 PL. I've seen numerous Yellowstones and Yosemites PL of various grades but haven't seen a single MT Hood PL. Pretty awesome.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What service did you submit under and what was the turnaround time???? >>

I submitted to PCGS regular($30) service with first strike label and the turn around was only FIVE DAYS!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file