Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    were you on a list or something? how did they know you were interested to begin with?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>To my surprise I received a call today from MTB, I had given up on them as they never replied to my email. >>

What did they say? >>

I got a call too! He offered me a set but I turned it down because of my A-mark order and possible FideliTrade order. I probably should have taken it though and sold it since it would have arrived earlier than the others if paid by bank wire. >>

You could have done the unopened box sale. That seems to be the best money.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What about the NGC Early Releases? This guy got pwned on the grading from NGC - not sure where the MS-69 auto grade nonsense came from for NGC

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-America-Beautiful-5-pc-set-NGC-Early-Release-/110637018660?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item19c27aee24 >>

Looks like it's what Brian said: The early NGC pops were from HEAVILY cherry-picked sets.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>were you on a list or something? how did they know you were interested to begin with? >>

I emailed Jan. 3 and again about a week later.

• << <i>

<< <i>What about the NGC Early Releases? This guy got pwned on the grading from NGC - not sure where the MS-69 auto grade nonsense came from for NGC

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-America-Beautiful-5-pc-set-NGC-Early-Release-/110637018660?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item19c27aee24 >>

Looks like it's what Brian said: The early NGC pops were from HEAVILY cherry-picked sets. >>

Thus, if we haven't seen a 70 by now, it might not happen. You never know though.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

<< <i>Guys.....

Sit back and think about this a while.

If you werent flipping these, who in the h&ll would buy these goofy looking discs for 2000+

Insane.

95% of those posting to this thread are in it for the flip. Not condemning you at all, more power to you. I do the same.

But you've got to also think that 50% or more of the buyers from AMARk yesterday probably dont even know what they bought.

Just like the black coat/black hat guys outside MTB >>

You may well be right...while my half-brother was trying (in vein) to get a set, he called his mother in OR. She - having absolutely no idea whatsoever what these things are - go on and got a set immediately. I guess she'll give the set to my Bro. Who knows. She definitely has no idea what they are.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>To my surprise I received a call today from MTB, I had given up on them as they never replied to my email. >>

What did they say? >>

I got a call too! He offered me a set but I turned it down because of my A-mark order and possible FideliTrade order. I probably should have taken it though and sold it since it would have arrived earlier than the others if paid by bank wire. >>

You could have done the unopened box sale. That seems to be the best money. >>

Indeed. A quick $3K (if the next one brings that).

I have to say that the ad for the $4K set was, I thought, a bit misleading. Not false, but misleading. I could not have posted such an ad.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What did they say? >>

Same here. But he told me not to bother paying by wire because it was going to take 6-8 wks for delivery! Maybe they saw coins-and-nuggets' ebay auction & now they're going to send them out for grading. image

$4000 SET

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>

<< <i>Guys.....

Sit back and think about this a while.

If you werent flipping these, who in the h&ll would buy these goofy looking discs for 2000+

Insane.

95% of those posting to this thread are in it for the flip. Not condemning you at all, more power to you. I do the same.

But you've got to also think that 50% or more of the buyers from AMARk yesterday probably dont even know what they bought.

Just like the black coat/black hat guys outside MTB >>

You may well be right...while my half-brother was trying (in vein) to get a set, he called his mother in OR. She - having absolutely no idea whatsoever what these things are - go on and got a set immediately. I guess she'll give the set to my Bro. Who knows. She definitely has no idea what they are. >>

This is a no-lose situation......if you bought from the APs. Even if you're buying to flip, and the huge profits disappear, you're not going to lose money. These have a similar mintage to the 95-W. And they're 5 oz. of silver in a time of good silver investing. These are the best smalltime silver investment you can make right now. Well, that is, unless silver crashes....but that's doubtful.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Registered USPS.....

I don't see where ebay allows the use of registered as a shipping option and I don't want buyers to be misled on shipping time as registered is typically the slowest.

So I list the longest time to deliver "4-13 bussiness days" with the knowledge for the buyer that I am using the best/most secure option.

In this case, it took about a week to arrive for the buyer.

Miles >>

Miles, question, did u ship your set USPS registered? I did not know Ebay does not have a tab for usps registered mail. I have never used it as I am hesitant to sell big ticket coins on ebay. I have been told registered is the safest way to ship, but I also thought usps would not insure bullion coins? >>

Yes, USPS Registered and insured as I have with many transactions - no problems, ever.

I have also received, without issue, many Registered packages myself from the Mint and other providers, Insured.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

• << <i>But you've got to also think that 50% or more of the buyers from AMARk yesterday probably dont even know what they bought.

Isn't that like a typical day at Walmart? >>

Gotta say, yesterday I was just hitting a lot of buttons quickly not really knowing what I was doing. They could have placed a bunch of dogpoo in a bag on there for $899 and tons would have sold.
  • As long as the poo is 69 or 70 and encapsulated, I'm happy!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I don't see where ebay allows the use of registered as a shipping option and I don't want buyers to be misled on shipping time as registered is typically the slowest.

So I list the longest time to deliver "4-13 bussiness days" with the knowledge for the buyer that I am using the best/most secure option.

Miles >>

Miles, question, did u ship your set USPS registered? I did not know Ebay does not have a tab for usps registered mail. I have never used it as I am hesitant to sell big ticket coins on ebay. I have been told registered is the safest way to ship, but I also thought usps would not insure bullion coins? >>

Registered mail labels are not available online with any site. The PO must scan it as received, which requires physical contact. They also must make sure you're in compliance with taping it securely. Bullion products or cash are only insurable via Registered Mail.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But you've got to also think that 50% or more of the buyers from AMARk yesterday probably dont even know what they bought.

Isn't that like a typical day at Walmart? >>

Gotta say, yesterday I was just hitting a lot of buttons quickly not really knowing what I was doing. They could have placed a bunch of dogpoo in a bag on there for $899 and tons would have sold. >>

Same here. I even hate the admit that I did not even notice they were in PCGS BU holders until after my order was complete. They could just as easily said that the coins were foil covered chocolate. Better than dog poo at least. Funny that we may have hit the buttons quickly but that did not speed things up much.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Miles >>

Registered mail labels are not available online with any site. The PO must scan it as received, which requires physical contact. They also must make sure you're in compliance with taping it securely. Bullion products or cash are only insurable via Registered Mail. >>

Thanks for the info. The pucks are not insurable via Priority?? Where is this written? THANKS
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Miles >>

Registered mail labels are not available online with any site. The PO must scan it as received, which requires physical contact. They also must make sure you're in compliance with taping it securely. Bullion products or cash are only insurable via Registered Mail. >>

Thanks for the info. The pucks are not insurable via Priority?? Where is this written? THANKS >>

I posted about this on a coin forum thread. Bullion is not insurable priority, but since they are real quarters, and numismatic items, not just bullion, it remains an item of contention. Are they numismatic coins or are they bullion. I guess both??---------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I hate to hear the 95-w comparison

These pucks have NOWHERE NEAR the following of the ASE's

Dont expect these to behave like 95-W ASE's
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hate to hear the 95-w comparison

Dont expect these to behave like 95-W ASE's >>

I agree...whenever I hear a comparison like that, it strikes me of over exuberance/wishful thinking/not understanding/trying to pump things up.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Yes a set of these is 25 ounces of silver and a 95w is only 1 ounce, no comparison.

• << <i>

<< <i>I hate to hear the 95-w comparison

Dont expect these to behave like 95-W ASE's >>

I agree...whenever I hear a comparison like that, it strikes me of over exuberance/wishful thinking/not understanding/trying to pump things up. >>

You missed the point I was making that if you're buying silver anyway, these are the way to do it-- if you can buy from the APs. My rebuttal to the folks saying these were ugly, or uninteresting, etc and would never buy one. I sure as hell would rather have a 5 oz. ATB than 5 silver 2011 ASEs even if they take more work to get and if the profits crash. And the jury's still out on this series. It's very young and it has a lot of the hallmarks to create a huge following. And the USM isn't going to let this AP circus happen again. I wouldn't count anything out.

• << <i>Yes a set of these is 25 ounces of silver and a 95w is only 1 ounce, no comparison. >>

I agree. These monster pucks will be much more desireable than the 95-W. image
    whatever you say guys......

when the pucks have three quarters of a million followers, then we can say they are on par with a 95-w.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>whatever you say guys......

when the pucks have three quarters of a million followers, then we can say they are on par with a 95-w. >>

sell the 95W, buy these, then buy your 95W back!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    the point has nothing to do with funding the purchase of pucks

it has everything to do with making the comparison to a 95-w ASE

a bad comparison. anyone who buys based on that comparison is comparing apples to oranges.

a fool and his money are soon parted.

• << <i>the point has nothing to do with funding the purchase of pucks

a bad comparison. anyone who buys based on that comparison is comparing apples to oranges.

a fool and his money are soon parted. >>

Every comparison has some amount of the apples-oranges problem. Nothing is ever completely the same. If anything the comparison can't be made because it's too early in the game, not that the situation couldn't exist.

But to discount the pucks this early in the game is a mistake. How are a fool and his money soon parted if they buy at the price the APs are selling for? I was not advocating they go buy a set for $5k. That is silly at this place in time.

But in ten years? It's hard to judge anything this early in time. The series is in its infancy. I wouldn't discount anything portraying the places that make America famous, coupled with the shiny stuff. And throw a MS70 Yosemite into that batch? You could have the makings of a moon-money key.

Never say never.

• << <i>LOL...
    Seems like this guy doesn't know the difference btwn a BU and 69
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-AMERICA-BEAUTIFUL-5-OZ-SET-PCGS-MS-69-1ST-STRI-/290524863312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a4a19b50 >>

Something funky is going on there. PCGS is quicker than 6 weeks for these, right? 6-8 weeks fits the description of AMark's sale.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks that have been through more than a few flips trying to impart some wisdom with "new" flippers....and, of course, they don't want to listen as THEIR current flip is the MUST HAVE flip to have and hold as it increases forever image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>the point has nothing to do with funding the purchase of pucks

a fool and his money are soon parted. >>

Honestly these ATB coins cannot be compared with the 95-W silver eagle and I too have grown tired of the inevitable but ridiculous comparison. The ASE coin has been bread and butter for the mint since 86 and it's affordable price and symbolic heritage has brought together a huge following. A mintage as low as 30,125 for an otherwise affordable coin is going to command a huge premium in an effort by collectors to complete their sets. Anyone trying to equally compare these coins is expecting an eventual price tag of $15,000 for the ATB set and not necessarily in high grade.....REALLY???

That being said I do think these 2010 ATB will eventually settle at a price quite higher than the original purchase price (assuming it was bought from an AP under USM guidelines). If you can get a set now for reasonable price now by all means do so. But 95-W these will never become.
  • Doesnt the future of these coins depend completely on the future mintages on the rest of the series? How can we really know what to compare these to until the 2011 mintages are revealed?
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I don't think people that are comparing these to the 95W coin are saying each of the 5 coins will be worth 3k so the set will be worth 15k. I think what they mean is the bullion set has a lot of value to it compared to the 95w. Close to that mintage but 25 times the amount of silver.

I would imagine the mint will not want to see the distribution problems they have with these 2010 coins occur also with the 2011 coins so they will have to mint way more coins to make them sell for the bullion value.

If that happens then these might do much better than some are thinking.image

• << <i>I don't think people that are comparing these to the 95W coin are saying each of the 5 coins will be worth 3k so the set will be worth 15k. I think what they mean is the bullion set has a lot of value to it compared to the 95w. Close to that mintage but 25 times the amount of silver. I would imagine the mint will not want to see the distribution problems they have with these 2010 coins occur also with the 2011 coins so they will have to mint way more coins to make them sell for the bullion value. If that happens then these might do much better than some are thinking.image >>

I think if you get a MS70 set it would easy be worth $15K.....no kidding
    MT
  • I'd like to congratulate PCGS on the slab design for these 5oz rounds. The compact design, relative to the NGC headstone sized slabs, looks much better to me. Especially the narrow 3 3/4" X 6" layout. The NGC slab is 5 1/2" X 7 1/2"! Way too big! Thanks PCGS and thanks A-Mark!

imageimage
  • Sorry if this is a repeat article, but it sure was fun to read and pretty much sums things up.

ATB Article

• << <i>I'd like to congratulate PCGS on the slab design for these 5oz rounds. The compact design, relative to the NGC headstone sized slabs, looks much better to me. Especially the narrow 3 3/4" X 6" layout. The NGC slab is 5 1/2" X 7 1/2"! Way too big! Thanks PCGS and thanks A-Mark!>>

However, the NGC slabs provide the opportunity to visualize the edge writing...what little there is of it.
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

How many here have received their sets from MTB?

My check cleared my bank last Friday, so I called yesterday to try to find out as to when they will ship.

I was told that my personal check takes 3 weeks to clear. The man on the phone said about the 28th of the month.
    They guy would not give any further explanation, he would only complain that they are to busy etc. etc.

My sales person has not responded to either a telephone message I left or an email for two days now.

Whats your experience with MTB? All I would like is a reasonable explanation from someone there without the
    attitude that I am bothering them and wasting their time.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ATB 5OZ PCGS holder looks like an OVERSIZED RATTLER!!!image I like it.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re the mintages and potential resale values of the 2010 vs 2011 [and later] ATBs...

If silver continues skyward, the Mint will strike the 2011 issues like mad and it will likely sell well, however if silver tanks then I think we might have a situation where the Mint strikes lots of them, nobody buys them and then we'll all be tallying sales figures late in the year to determine if we should buy some because the Mint will be melting most of the mintage to make room for 2012...and TA DA...new low key.

You all know it's happened before (and will happen again)!

But anyhow, IMHO, as a [relatively] low mintage first year issue, 2010 should still hold a premium over a later issue, unless that later issue really comes in at a rediculously lowball mintage.

So basically, if you need the money for food and rent [or tuition], you should flip sooner rather than later...but if you're able to sit on the cash...you should probably hold and sit pat...just like gambling and buying stocks!

PS...personally, I might flip a set [if that term qualifies in this case?], to defray the higher cost Mint version later this year...so I'm really reinvesting the money in an apples to apples way.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Higher cost mint version? Who says so?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So basically, if you need the money for food and rent [or tuition],.... >>

You should spend it on food and rent! image
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Higher cost mint version? Who says so? >>

Isn't there ALWAYS a Mint premium...to the order of 25-30% over material cost...at least?

I'd say you're looking at a $1200 price tag for the collector's version.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many here have received their sets from MTB? My check cleared my bank last Friday, so I called yesterday to try to find out as to when they will ship. I was told that my personal check takes 3 weeks to clear. The man on the phone said about the 28th of the month. They guy would not give any further explanation, he would only complain that they are to busy etc. etc. My sales person has not responded to either a telephone message I left or an email for two days now. Whats your experience with MTB? All I would like is a reasonable explanation from someone there without the attitude that I am bothering them and wasting their time. >>

Ditto. My check cleared on the 13th. No response to email, my phone call got pretty much the same results as yours. Now I wait for the post check-clearing 17 day free float to pass...
    Ditto. My check cleared on the 13th. No response to email, my phone call got pretty much the same results as yours. Now I wait for the post check-clearing 17 day free float to pass...

Thanks...misery enjoys the company.

What is the post check-clearing 17 day free float about? I didn't get any info on this when ordering.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    The 17 day hold on personal checks was in the MTB ordering instructions.

I shoulda gone with a postal money order!

<< <i>The 17 day hold on personal checks was in the MTB ordering instructions.

I shoulda gone with a postal money order! >>

Unless you plan to flip or get the early release from NGC (which I think ends 1/22), what's it really matter when we get them from MTB. I am pretty sure we all have a sales confirmation.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 17 day hold on personal checks was in the MTB ordering instructions.

I shoulda gone with a postal money order! >>

Should have wired the money, for the extra 25 bucks it cost me already got the set. I think if more people knew by wiring it was going to be faster they would have. Best 25 bucks i ever spent. Now PB is the same with the checks and after they accept your order you than have to pay another 50 bucks to get the set shipped from there depository so i figure another 4 weeks for them. image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the post check-clearing 17 day free float about? I didn't get any info on this when ordering. >>

My weak attempt at sarcasm. The 17 day wait has been explained by other posts above; the "free float" comment is mine regarding the arbitrary hold they are putting on us after our check clears. In other words, they get to collect interest for 17 days, minuscule though it may be, while we wait...

Miles >>

Don't most ebayers just use FEDEX, or is FEDEX a hassle?

The 17 day hold on personal checks was in the MTB ordering instructions.

Thanks to everyone for clearing that up.

I don't have a problem with the hold. I just didn't understand it.

When I ordered, I called, talked to a salesman who said "email the paperwork" (which was emailed to me by another forum member) and "send us a personal check".
    It was clear that he didn't want to waste his time discussing anything.

If given the option, I would have wired the money as this is a free service to me at my financial institution, plus I can do this online which is faster
    than writing a check and putting it in the mail.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to getting them.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file