Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't believe that I missed that one!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    6002! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been following this AMark thing all that closely so I have to ask:

Were the BU coins from AMark culled?

The motivation to send coins to a grading company is to get coins graded, right?

If some coins don't meet grade expectations then those coins go into generic holders.

This totally makes sense, doesn't it?

• << <i>...

Who's left: D.G., CNT (second quarter), the rest of A Mark (how many sets - only 250?), APMEX (when will that be?) and the 3690 sets that Pru didn't sell yet??

... >>

Don't forget grouchy Jack Hunt.

DO NOT CALL!!!

Absolutely No Phone Calls regarding ATB Coins will be taken at this time.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Well guys, this was a very good day! My set of 5 ATB 5oz rounds in PCGS First Strike Choice BU plastic is bought and paid for! Yippeeeee!

I got right on the A-Mark website at 11:59a.m. Central this morning and was able to get the order in my cart by 12:10. The site went down at that point but I ran back through everything by 12:30 had the order confirmed.

A-Mark did very well and for their first retail web-sale, they actually did great!

-------------------------------------------------

Now I'm wondering about the MCM sets: 5 Ounce Silver National Parks 5 Coin Set NGC Early Releases Gem Uncirculated at $2,695. To me, these are the same as the A-Mark PCGS sets in FS Choice BU. I realize the PCGS sets are MS63 minimum and the NGC sets are MS65 minimum, but........it's all verbiage to me and we were lucky A-Mark came through for us!
  • does anyone else still have one showing up in there shopping cart as i do
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut

• << <i>I haven't been following this AMark thing all that closely so I have to ask:

The motivation to send coins to a grading company is to get coins graded, right?

If some coins don't meet grade expectations then those coins go into generic holders.

This totally makes sense, doesn't it? >>

Look back a few pages. Lots of fun stuff back there.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>One other question: Does anyone know precisely when the 250 wait list/registration screen went up?? Thanks. >>

I think there were 5-10 minutes between when the sales cut out and the wait list began. >>

So the list went up at about 3:00 EST? >>

I think I noted they went off sale about 3:04 ... go back and check today's posts.

They put up the register link.

then a few mintues later added that 250 would be available.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>I haven't been following this AMark thing all that closely so I have to ask:

The rational amongst us believe A-Mark got a good deal from PCGS slabbing all of their coins ungraded, saving them the cost and labor of placing them into flips/capsules. The conspiracy theorists believe the coins were cherrypicked and all of the bad ones were offered for sale, slabbed as Choice BU.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    If they sold around 2700 sets, thats 13500 coins. No way that they are all culls. I'm sending mine right back to PCGS and have them graded...unless they really are cullsimage
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
    I would think they did it as a matter of convenience, however the numbers don't add up.

26xx orders
    + 250 on the wait list
    that's 2850 - 2900

2900 < 3000 (or 3600+ which is what 33,000/9 is)

Where are the rest?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>

<< <i>I haven't been following this AMark thing all that closely so I have to ask:

The rational amongst us believe A-Mark got a good deal from PCGS slabbing all of their coins ungraded, saving them the cost and labor of placing them into flips/capsules. The conspiracy theorists believe the coins were cherrypicked and all of the bad ones were offered for sale, slabbed as Choice BU. >>

honestly i dont care if they want to pull some sets let them as long as the big portion is going to the public thats cool with me all i care about is i got a set and am super happy they will be slabbed ......

strange thing is i still have another in my shopping cart but dont have a paypal account to use to get it i am calling a friend tomorrow if it is still there and checking it out
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure if you get further with the item still in the cart, the site will tell you buying is disabled, it wont let you do anything.

I think they did the last wait list thing to have a group of names to sell the overages to from duplicate addresses, and to have a cushion in case the website oversold them.
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I especially appreciate the "shift-F5" keystroke hint that broke the cache problem with refreshing. That was a new one that resulted in success. (that goes out to the Ms)

#12xx Success!

I heard it was about 12 Noon PT when they went dark.[

That is correct. I was trying for an hour and just at noon I got in to find the registration form. It had no word about the 250 at that point.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The rational amongst us believe A-Mark got a good deal from PCGS slabbing all of their coins ungraded, saving them the cost and labor of placing them into flips/capsules. The conspiracy theorists believe the coins were cherrypicked and all of the bad ones were offered for sale, slabbed as Choice BU. >>

Thanks, I guess we'll find out who's right when the pop report on these matures a bit, when we see if the informal forum BU crackout report mirrors the pop report.
    Do you plan to crackout your BUs if they come nice?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I haven't been following this AMark thing all that closely so I have to ask:

The rational amongst us believe A-Mark got a good deal from PCGS slabbing all of their coins ungraded, saving them the cost and labor of placing them into flips/capsules. The conspiracy theorists believe the coins were cherrypicked and all of the bad ones were offered for sale, slabbed as Choice BU. >>

honestly i dont care if they want to pull some sets let them as long as the big portion is going to the public thats cool with me all i care about is i got a set and am super happy they will be slabbed ......

strange thing is i still have another in my shopping cart but dont have a paypal account to use to get it i am calling a friend tomorrow if it is still there and checking it out >>

It will fail, they are done.
  • First I want to thank the forum for helping me secure a set of these coins....I have been lurking for a week or two.

I wondered if anyone thought that maybe Amark was not set up to manage this amount of shipping and processing. They normally ship large secure shipments since their minimum order is $50,000.
    So they contracted with someone that is local(PCGS) to process and ship these out.....since they do that type of thing as a daily business.
    My guess is PCGS is in the process of doing this now with the last of them estimated to be sent in 6-8 weeks. They just need the list of buyers from amark to start printing shipping labels.

I doubt any cherrypicking took place.....it might have but if it did.....they have still done better than some of the other AP's in my opinion.
  • First time poster here. Great deal of information on this site. I was order # 17** from amark yesterday. Why is my payment "pending" in paypal? This was mentioned earlier, but not answered. Thanks.
  • To add to my above post.

I think the coins were sent to the AP's in tubes.....so PCGS needed to put them in a secure holder for shipping, or use a lot of bubblewrap etc. to send them out.
    So it was decided to put them in holders labeled as BU which was cheaper than grading. The cost were then passed on to the buyers as part of the $99 shipping charge.

I think it will play out that Amark followed the rules as close as they could.
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think that with an order this size that PCGS will generate a label which includes an AMARK pedigree? It would be great advertising for AMARK.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    How any of you could complain about A-Mark is incredible.

The only dealer so far to give you a secure, fast and efficient way to get a set without faxed copies of DLs , patriot act spy forms, personal check in limbo.

And slabbed to boot! (shockingly enough...some have found something they don't like about that either!)

Warbling nancies.. you be-clown yourselves.

A+++ to A-Mark who claims the top prize from a grateful public.

Lets see if those left can match A-Mark or join the ranks of the Illinois Ahole.

Loves me some shiny!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would think they did it as a matter of convenience, however the numbers don't add up.

26xx orders
    + 250 on the wait list
    that's 2850 - 2900

Where are the rest? >>

I think they are going to have more than 250 available next tuesday as they must have stopped selling a little early to give themselves a little breathing room. They know they can sell the remainder easily.
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011

NOTICE ABOUT AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL 5 OUNCE SILVER COINS:
    At this point we are unable to accept names or take orders for these coins. If more information becomes available, we will post it on this website. No phone calls, please.

Thank you for your understanding.

Dillion update funny i looked at ebay this morning and there is a sealed set from them, hmmmmm thats kinda weird since they claim they are not even selling yet.dillion unopened box
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How any of you could complain about A-Mark is incredible.

The only dealer so far to give you a secure, fast and efficient way to get a set without faxed copies of DLs , patriot act spy forms, personal check in limbo.

And slabbed to boot! (shockingly enough...some have found something they don't like about that either!)

Warbling nancies.. you be-clown yourselves.

A+++ to A-Mark who claims the top prize from a grateful public.

Lets see if those left can match A-Mark or join the ranks of the Illinois Ahole. >>

My only complaint was the 6-8 week delivery time.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would think they did it as a matter of convenience, however the numbers don't add up.

26xx orders
    + 250 on the wait list
    that's 2850 - 2900

Where are the rest? >>

I think they are going to have more than 250 available next tuesday as they must have stopped selling a little early to give themselves a little breathing room. They know they can sell the remainder easily. >>

The highest order number I could find from another forum was in the 270X+ range. Based on the numbers toward the end the were hitting approx 300 orders every 10 minutes or approx 30 per minute. Figuring 260X with an out of stock notice within approx 3/4 minutes + 90/120 to go would put them close to 2,750ish. Seems like a reasonable cutoff #, 2750 +250=3K. How many did they reportedly have?

Looks like a few (0) feedback newbies trying to flip these with presales will likely get burned. Presales are supposed to ship within 30 days or buyer gets a refund. That coupled with a likely flood will only further irritate a buyer if prices dip for those with actual in hands...
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll sell my place on the DillonReed and APMEX alert lists...can I put that up on eBay?

PS...and I really think A-Mark was totally above board yesterday. Ultimately, I think their numbers are going to tally pretty well (at least until one of their bulk boxes shows up for sale tomorrow)!
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at this auction Notice the price? Notice the picture? Notice the description? Think there will be a problem?
    <<Take a look at this auction Notice the price? Notice the picture? Notice the description? Think there will be a problem? >>

Just asking, but why would anybody pay $2,890 for the exact same coins that are also available (also visible in the link) BIN for $2,499.99???

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-America-the-Beautiful-5-oz-Silver-Set-PCGS-FS_W0QQitemZ170592470728QQcategoryZ3361QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo=SIC&its=I%2BC&itu=UCI%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=10&pmod=110637811758&ps=63&clkid=6479478042425524983

Am I missing something here (other than stupidity)?
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone called A-Mark to ask them if they let PCGS screen these?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i><<Take a look at this auction Notice the price? Notice the picture? Notice the description? Think there will be a problem? >>

Just asking, but why would anybody pay $2,890 for the exact same coins that are also available (also visible in the link) BIN for $2,499.99???

Am I missing something here (other than stupidity)? >>

The pic shows they are First Strike MS69's, not the Choice BU A-Mark is selling...

• << <i>

<< <i><<Take a look at this auction Notice the price? Notice the picture? Notice the description? Think there will be a problem? >>

Am I missing something here (other than stupidity)? >>

The pic shows they are First Strike MS69's, not the Choice BU A-Mark is selling... >>

The description reads "Choice BU", though, that's what the OP was referring to.

<<The pic shows they are First Strike MS69's, not the Choice BU A-Mark is selling... >>

<<The description reads "Choice BU", though, that's what the OP was referring to.>>

Correct, the description clearly states Choice BU FS, not MS69 as pictured. Based on the image, I'm thinking the purchaser might have grounds to void that sale...or not...maybe they really are worth that much.

As I said yesterday, just wait until the news of a 2-hour sellout hits the general hobby press.
    Based on all the latest back and forth...am I assume to anything sub 69 is now considered inferior? Are 67s & 68s now considered toxic ATBs?

If so, we've sure come a long way from just a couple of weeks ago of simply wanting to get our hands on ANY coins!

<< <i>Based on all the latest back and forth...am I assume to anything sub 69 is now considered inferior? Are 67s & 68s now considered toxic ATBs?

If so, we've sure come a long way from just a couple of weeks ago of simply wanting to get our hands on ANY coins! >>

There is always the desire to have the best but the others are good still and I hope not toxic. For me though, when I buy something from the Mint I like to think I have a shot at the best.
  • update from ampex i was told they only have 2000 left to sell they have over 15,000 alert me they are going to go thru the list by first in so if u didnt get in pretty quick with them dont plan to get one .....by far a-mark was very fair and i am very happy they are slabbed i would hope they are very high grade but ...not going to complain either way just glad to have them
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS

<< <i>update from ampex i was told they only have 2000 left to sell they have over 15,000 alert me they are going to go thru the list by first in so if u didnt get in pretty quick with them dont plan to get one .....by far a-mark was very fair and i am very happy they are slabbed i would hope they are very high grade but ...not going to complain either way just glad to have them >>

Looking on the positive side at least they are protected from any further damage inside a holder.

<< <i><<The pic shows they are First Strike MS69's, not the Choice BU A-Mark is selling... >>

<<The description reads "Choice BU", though, that's what the OP was referring to.>>

Correct, the description clearly states Choice BU FS, not MS69 as pictured. Based on the image, I'm thinking the purchaser might have grounds to void that sale...or not...maybe they really are worth that much.

As I said yesterday, just wait until the news of a 2-hour sellout hits the general hobby press. >>

So RichR when the news hits will the prices go higher or lower?

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>Looking on the positive side at least they are protected from any further damage inside a holder. >>

The slabs were a much better option than the Air-Tites. The Air-Tites are thicker than the pucks, so the puck could move back and forth and if you wanted to take them out, you ran the risk of cracking the holder...
    This is such an easy to please group. Seems different than a few weeks ago. I guess that is good overall. image
    <<So RichR when the news hits will the prices go higher or lower? >>

First off, I'm sure the news will cause an absolute frenzy (as compared to that tea and crumpets party we had yesterday!) if and when the remaining APs get off their tails.

And assuming stupid people stop selling large blocks of them to anyone with a pulse, I'm thinking that the prices should stabilize and probably rise (I also think we might have already seen most of the wholesale dumping of large lots...which would also be a price-positive development).

And finally, I suspect the Mint might let the dust settle a bit before offering their "special" version. If for nothing other than not wanting to closely overlap the AP sales too closely, which wouldn't be very nice.
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<So RichR when the news hits will the prices go higher or lower? >>

First off, I'm sure the news will cause an absolute frenzy (as compared to that tea and crumpets party we had yesterday!) if and when the remaining APs get off their tails.

And assuming stupid people stop selling large blocks of them to anyone with a pulse, I'm thinking that the prices should stabilize and probably rise (I also think we might have already seen most of the wholesale dumping of large lots...which would also be a price-positive development).

And finally, I suspect the Mint might let the dust settle a bit before offering their "special" version. If for nothing other than not wanting to closely overlap the AP sales too closely, which wouldn't be very nice. >>

So... give an estimate of the price upon the news breaking.... I say $3k
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL

<< <i>

26xx orders
    + 250 on the wait list
    that's 2850 - 2900

Where are the rest? >>

I think they are going to have more than 250 available next tuesday as they must have stopped selling a little early to give themselves a little breathing room. They know they can sell the remainder easily. >>

very possible.
    They know they can sell the remainder easily. >>

very possible. >>

Yeah, but can they sell all of the returns too?image

<< <i>First time poster here. Great deal of information on this site. I was order # 17** from amark yesterday. Why is my payment "pending" in paypal? This was mentioned earlier, but not answered. Thanks. >>

my guess is everyone's payment is pending.

can't guess why.

<<So... give an estimate of the price upon the news breaking.... I say $3k >>

What do you think this is...a casino?!?

For the A-Mark slabs, I'm thinking a very solid $2,500-$2,600 and possibly approaching $3,000 during the initial news spike (and ultimately settling back to around $2,700).

For raw coins, who knows...maybe $2,300+ per set.

However, this all assumes that some joker doesn't decide to unload 50 BU slabbed sets at one time...and the Mint doesn't jolt everyone with a larger quantity of the special versions than originally announced.
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<So... give an estimate of the price upon the news breaking.... I say $3k >>

For the A-Mark slabs, I'm thinking a very solid $2,500-$2,600 and possibly approaching $3,000 during the initial news spike (and ultimately settling back to around $2,700).

However, this all assumes that some joker doesn't decide to unload 50 BU slabbed sets at one time...and the Mint doesn't jolt everyone with a larger quantity of the special versions than originally announced. >>

Well... if you're buying these to sell It's as close to gambling as possible, except with a much better chance of winning! image
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL

• << <i>

<< <i>First time poster here. Great deal of information on this site. I was order # 17** from amark yesterday. Why is my payment "pending" in paypal? This was mentioned earlier, but not answered. Thanks. >>

can't guess why. >>

My guess is that they can't accept the payment until they actually ship. That's how most companies operate. Apmex charged immediately because they were planning on shipping right away.

<< <i>update from ampex i was told they only have 2000 left to sell they have over 15,000 alert me they are going to go thru the list by first in so if u didnt get in pretty quick with them dont plan to get one .....by far a-mark was very fair and i am very happy they are slabbed i would hope they are very high grade but ...not going to complain either way just glad to have them >>

bogus.

<< <i>

can't guess why. >>

Yeah that is odd. All I did was input my CC information when I got to the Paypal link and the money came out of my bank that day. That was the only reason why the 6 to 8 weeks kinda irked me.

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<So... give an estimate of the price upon the news breaking.... I say $3k >>

However, this all assumes that some joker doesn't decide to unload 50 BU slabbed sets at one time...and the Mint doesn't jolt everyone with a larger quantity of the special versions than originally announced. >>

I see these selling at $1200. You seriously think that when 1000+ hit eBay they are going to rise in price? I think not. I bet flippers bought 80%+ of yesterdays offering and will dump them like yesterdays newspaper when they finally get them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file