Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    << Their sets are slabbed by PCGS as "Choice BU" and are $874 plus $99 in S&H fees. They are selling these at little or no profit.

A-Mark paid at least $725 to the mint + $150 to PCGS for slabbing + $20 shipping = $995 - the PayPal fees $29 = $966.

Thanks A-Mark!!! >>

These are not graded. It would make no sense for A-Mark to pay for grading, so the $150 is too high. They probably got a special "slabbed, ungraded" rate and they included it in the $99 shipping charge.

----------------------------------------------------------

Maybe not $150 for 5 of the big "Choice BU" PCGS slabs but it had to be close to $100. There is very little profit in these to begin with so why slab them? Not that I'm complaining, just wondering? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is good news and shows that maybe the cherrypicking theory might not have any weight. >>

Didn't someone mention they won't be sent out for 6-8 weeks from now? Doesn't that indicate the coins have not yet been received back from PCGS for slabbing and possible cherrypicking? And furthermore doesn't it seem A-Mark is only retailing 3000 sets out of their allotment of about 3700 or 3800, so they can secretly funnel any high grade coins elsewhere? How are the buyers who paid big bucks on ebay or HSN going to feel when the price inevitably crashes? >>

It could go either way at this point. If we see an order conf# in the 3xxx range, then we'll know they might not be cherrypicking. Since most people on this board had a set before the 2500 range, it could be that nobody bought a set late enough in the game to report. The highest number on the board was around 2600 though, fairly late.

The two scenarios I see:

1. AMark had them all slabbed keeping the highest grades and sold the lesser grades in the BU Unc CF we just saw.

2. PCGS gave Amark a great deal, as the two are close to each other. PCGS didn't do any grading and just put 'em in slabs. The slabs cost Amark more than flips, but it was cheaper to hire PCGS to package them than having their own employees do overtime to stick all of those coins in flips.

Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    Woohoo...managed to get 5 sets from wonderful A-Mark, despatched to the UK...what a result! Spoke to initially grumpy but ultimately helpful lady who assisted my purchase and, defying expectations, managed to bag 5 sets! Happy chap now...image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kind of suspicious they stopped selling about 1000 shy of their allotment... Not that I didn't expect this. >>

I'm going to have the mint make sure.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like A-Mark sold over 2600 sets in two hours. There may be many more sitting in unclaimed shopping carts. A-Mark has already listed an additional 250 sets available next week. This will also give them time to check their list and see who is naughty and nice. They may have more sets available for next week.
  • Options
    I am very happy to see that these are slabbed by PCGS and FS at that! Even if they are cherrypicked, the slab alone is great for protecting the coins and leaves the possibility that they will grade high. I had no idea they were going to do this. So if I want to send them back to PCGS to get graded, do I just leave them in the slabs?
  • Options
    Thanks Amark, finally I felt I was treated fairly, had a honest chance, and will get a excellent product. That's it! I'm out of this game for awhile. Good Luck to those still trying to get a set or two to keep.
  • Options

<< <i>I am very happy to see that these are slabbed by PCGS and FS at that! Even if they are cherrypicked, the slab alone is great for protecting the coins and leaves the possibility that they will grade high. I had no idea they were going to do this. So if I want to send them back to PCGS to get graded, do I just leave them in the slabs? >>

That sould work just fine.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Amark, finally I felt I was treated fairly, had a honest chance, and will get a excellent product. That's it! I'm out of this game for awhile. Good Luck to those still trying to get a set or two to keep. >>

This seemed to be the most fair offering out of any of the AP's to date.
  • Options

<< <i>I am very happy to see that these are slabbed by PCGS and FS at that! Even if they are cherrypicked, the slab alone is great for protecting the coins and leaves the possibility that they will grade high. I had no idea they were going to do this. So if I want to send them back to PCGS to get graded, do I just leave them in the slabs? >>

yes.

don't risk damaging them trying to crack them. a BU grade on the label isn't anything to worry about "hiding" from the graders.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i> So if I want to send them back to PCGS to get graded, do I just leave them in the slabs? >>

Yes! Do not remove these from the slabs!

And thanks to A-Mark! image
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am happy to get a set..............................but I am very leary about the 6 to 8 weeks. So you get to hold my cash for 6 to 8 weeks, touche.

Like others I just hope we just got a random chance to own a set that could grade high. If my set grades out all MS65-MS67 I will feel cheated. It would really take the fun out of collecting.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    These are FS AND Choice BU? I must have missed the FS part! This is great!!!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ive got to admit.

there is a hell of a lot of flippers out there. like i said flippers paradise.

2 hours and done. wow.

get em and get out of them boys. this is not gonna look good once 3000 sets hit the bay. >>

as has been said before.... True be dat!

Although I'm sure that a not-insignificant number went to collectors just wanting a set who, hopefully, finally got one.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>These are FS AND Choice BU? I must have missed the FS part! This is great!!! >>

copy-n-paste:
    Each set is encapsulated in holders by PCGS and is certified "First Strike Choice BU".

• Options
    Are these pucks the same version the mint will be releasing? Anything to differentiate such as a mint mark or a different finish?
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • Options
    Any ideas how these will sell on ebay. I haven't seen any PCGS slabbed coins that had the BU Uncirculated label only. So, no comparisons other than the NGC sets that are GEM Uncirculated that sold for about $2700.
  • Options

<< <i>Any ideas how these will sell on ebay. I haven't seen any PCGS slabbed coins that had the BU Uncirculated label only. So, no comparisons other than the NGC sets that are GEM Uncirculated that sold for about $2700. >>

total guess...

on par with raw.

• Options

<< <i>Are these pucks the same version the mint will be releasing? Anything to differentiate such as a mint mark or a different finish? >>

numismatic versions will have the "P" mintmark and a finish similar to the 3" bronze medals.

• Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    fs was probably just a freebie.."here, throw a bone to all the suckers who are about to buy the culls". They probably kept all the 69's
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Any ideas how these will sell on ebay. I haven't seen any PCGS slabbed coins that had the BU Uncirculated label only. So, no comparisons other than the NGC sets that are GEM Uncirculated that sold for about $2700. >>

I don't think these will sell for over $2k on ebay. Any collector internet savvy enough to use ebay should have been able to purchase their own set by now.
  • Options
    Still, they are pretty cheap culls
  • Options

<< <i>Woohoo...managed to get 5 sets from wonderful A-Mark, despatched to the UK...what a result! Spoke to initially grumpy but ultimately helpful lady who assisted my purchase and, defying expectations, managed to bag 5 sets! Happy chap now...image >>

Amazing. They are specifically prohibited from selling these outside of the U.S.

It sounds like they were just hanging up on folks who called during the frenzy. How did you avoid this?
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    this may be why pcgs was so long in grading the first bunch we've seen. Amark may have slammed them with 15,000 coins to grade....that has got to take a while
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks Amark, finally I felt I was treated fairly, had a honest chance, and will get a excellent product. That's it! I'm out of this game for awhile. Good Luck to those still trying to get a set or two to keep. >>

This seemed to be the most fair offering out of any of the AP's to date. >>

MTB and Ftrade didn't do so bad. No?
  • Options
    Fidelitrade had no warning. If I wasn't on this blog, I wouldn't have stood a chance. Even after overnighting a check, I still have no email or confirmation. Not as fair if you ask me. Not that you were. image
  • Options

<< <i>Fidelitrade had no warning. If I wasn't on this blog, I wouldn't have stood a chance. Even after overnighting a check, I still have no email or confirmation. Not as fair if you ask me. Not that you were. image >>

Yes, I stand corrected you're right. I had registered w/them long ago. W/o this thread or my friends I'd not have known. I NEVER got an email from them.
  • Options
    They also weren't to sell these to their 'mates' and others in the business but certain home shopping channels etc. managed to get a truck load to sell before the public. From what I gleaned from the lady, as long as the AP's can show no more than 1 set was sold to seperate zip / post codes that's all that matters to the US Mint.

With regards to selling to the UK, I know of a number of collectors who have secured these from all across Europe, directly from the AP's themselves.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

MTB and Ftrade didn't do so bad. No? >>

Fidelitrade had customers send money with no gurantees of an order. A waste of time and money for a lot of people, especially if they sent a cashiers check. And I haven't heard of a hard confirmed order to date.

This was online, confirmed orders, enough time for everyone to get one, and they didn't require your SSN or a "Patriots Act" form to be filled out. They also appear to have sold most of their sets to the public.
  • Options

<< <i>

I don't think these will sell for over $2k on ebay. Any collector internet savvy enough to use ebay should have been able to purchase their own set by now. >>

if they had savvy they wouldn't buy them on eBay at $2000 - $2500 each. image
  • Options
    anyone not taken the poll ??

should the mint sell the numismatic versions on different days or 1 day or ??

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

amen to that, If I could have figured out how to do it I sure would have had a set but thats what happens when you are a product of schools from the early 50's where they never heard of computers and have not been able to figure out all the complications of them.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

total guess...

on par with raw. >>

this is an example of what gets my craw. People who want a single set vs. those who "team up" for 10 of them or those who only wanted a set but wonder how to flip them because they are "BU Uncirc" and what does that mean to hitting the lottery?

Whatever happened both to collecting because you want to own a particular coin or set and plotting out how to greedily grab 1 or 10 to flip, thereby denying someone who just wanted a set to collect?

It's sad, it's really sad to the point that it stinks, IMHO.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<This was online, confirmed orders, enough time for everyone to get one, and they didn't require your SSN or a "Patriots Act" form to be filled out. They also appear to have sold most of their sets to the public. >>

Hey, that's right...no Patriot Act or SSN crap today...not that I'm complaining...so what's up with that?
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is this thread not listed in the "Hot Threads" list under the Today tabimage
  • Options

<< <i>They also weren't to sell these to their 'mates' and others in the business but certain home shopping channels etc. managed to get a truck load to sell before the public. From what I gleaned from the lady, as long as the AP's can show no more than 1 set was sold to seperate zip / post codes that's all that matters to the US Mint.

With regards to selling to the UK, I know of a number of collectors who have secured these from all across Europe, directly from the AP's themselves. >>

Wow, GC would not surprise me as they totally ignored the rules. A Mark does as they seem concerned w/compliance. I'm esp. shocked that they sold you five sets w/a one/HH limit AND their "NO CALLS" posted all over the web site AND because those who tried to call during the frenzy were immediately hung up on. The five sets to you over the phone is really just amazing.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

MTB and Ftrade didn't do so bad. No? >>

Fidelitrade had customers send money with no gurantees of an order. A waste of time and money for a lot of people, especially if they sent a cashiers check. And I haven't heard of a hard confirmed order to date.

This was online, confirmed orders, enough time for everyone to get one, and they didn't require your SSN or a "Patriots Act" form to be filled out. They also appear to have sold most of their sets to the public. >>

I certainly understand your thoughts on Ftrade. I have a feeling (which is not even worth 0.02 I'm sure) that those who had orders to Ftrade the next day will get sets. That said, I totally see your points.
  • Options
    So they'll look like this; but instead of MS68 it will say Choice BU.

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Order 260X, looks like 300 orders per every 10 minutes...Going to be gone very quick... >>

So we know that within 4 minutes the out of stock notice was posted,,,So figure with the given numbers 2610 with 4 minutes approx left on sale...REVISED EDIT:I revised the math and based upon 300 sold per 10 minutes gives an estimate of 30 per minute...2610 + 4 minutes X 30=120 +2610 is closer to 2,730 total sales, without considering other things like stock stuck in cart limbo...Sound about right?

Edit: My math may be off, I was in the middle of getting a hug from my 85yr old client and she planted a big smooch on my neck...I'm a little red... image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the site for 45 min at A-mark until getting my order - entered at 1002 A Pacific time and finished at 1047 with order #5??
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Crap, or great, I ended up with 3 sets! I want to keep 2 sets. I will be receiving my set from MTB soon and I'm almost guaranteed to get the FideliTrade set and A-Mark sets.

When I get my MTB set should I sell it without opening or send to PCGS? In other words should I sell this right away before pucks are flying everywhere?
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    I am sort of in the same boat possibly getting two. I really only want one and the market may not be there anymore to sell. I can have fun though getting them graded and try to make a nice high grade set. That is if high grades come from A-mark.
  • Options

<< <i>Crap, or great, I ended up with 3 sets! I want to keep 2 sets. I will be receiving my set from MTB soon and I'm almost guaranteed to get the FideliTrade set and A-Mark sets.

When I get my MTB set should I sell it without opening or send to PCGS? In other words should I sell this right away before pucks are flying everywhere? >>

Good question, the unknown delivery dates for these sets and the pre-slabbing by Amark are are screwing up the best laid plans of mice and men. I have always been afraid to sell unopened packages on Ebay. If you run into a scammer some bad things can occur. If we have to wait 2 months for amark coins, the mint may release the mint sets by then and screw up the ebay prices for the bullion sets. I also have a possible set coming from fidelitrade, and the amark set. I wanted to keep a set and sell one, now with a possible 8 week wait for one set, and a unkown on the other set, not sure what to do .
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the hubbub (dating myself there!) around the release of these 2010 pucks, let's not forget that there will be 2011 pucks coming down the pike sometime this year. I wonder if they will be released as singles concurrent with the release of the corresponding NP quarter? Or as a set late in the year? Both bullion and numismatic versions, I presume. Does anyone have a clue? I haven't seen anything official on the 2011 pucks other than the designs...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't think these will sell for over $2k on ebay. Any collector internet savvy enough to use ebay should have been able to purchase their own set by now. >>

if they had savvy they wouldn't buy them on eBay at $2000 - $2500 each. image >>

I'm a collector and just wanted a set but not a e-bay prices.

Thank you A Mark (#1500+) and most of all thank all the members of this PCGS forum for all their help.

Long time lurker since the open forum.
    Jim
  • Options
    Buying is disabled;Out of stock;
  • Options
    {Pre-Poll, II} AFTER the 2010 release, Should the Mint Make the NumisPucks a Subscription?

I'm not asking for the 2010 Numimatic Park 5oz coins

But for 2011 and on, should the mint set up the National Park 5oz Silver coins on a subscription service?

A new poll to take.

• Options
    I'm really jazzed up about these A-Mark pieces being in PCGS First Strike slabs!image

I finally got a set! YeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaa!!! image
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm esp. shocked that they sold you five sets w/a one/HH limit AND their "NO CALLS" posted all over the web site AND because those who tried to call during the frenzy were immediately hung up on. The five sets to you over the phone is really just amazing. >>

Relax Raufus. What he's obviously not telling us is how much other gold & silver bullion he had to order to get these. It must have been substantial! image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm really jazzed up about these A-Mark pieces being in PCGS First Strike slabs!image

I finally got a set! YeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaa!!! image >>

Good for you. I'm happy you got one and "ready made" as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file