Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Re A-Mark...CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS!!!

YEAH! >>

If you have any computer savvy friends I suggest that perhaps they can do a script command for you where you get alerted the minute the page gets updated. I know someone on a different forum that put together a script command that every time the page gets updated it sends me an alert to my email. Technically I should be receiving an alert to my email within 60 seconds of the page updating.

I dont know how to work scripts but for those in the know this is your chance to get in early before the masses find out via forums or word of mouth >>

I think I am just going to hit the refresh button every 2 seconds starting 12:01am image
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Another FUN Show report from Numismaster

Link
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...

<< <i>Another FUN Show report from Numismaster

Link >>

"it put 600 sets on sale Jan. 3."
    What happened to the other 2400 sets?
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's amazing that these reporters never press these questions - Bob Woodward they aint!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Hello! Just joined this as has followed progress since they launched and, as a UK buyer, cannot get my hands on a set unless APMEX come good - had an alert set with them since December!!!

Anyway...now that A-Mark have shown their hand, do any of you know whether they will sell to a UK buyer when they come up for sale on 18th January?

<< <i>Hello! Just joined this as has followed progress since they launched and, as a UK buyer, cannot get my hands on a set unless APMEX come good - had an alert set with them since December!!!

Anyway...now that A-Mark have shown their hand, do any of you know whether they will sell to a UK buyer when they come up for sale on 18th January? >>

WELCOME!! Great to have you on the thread....

Unfortunatley, The Mint's terms specifically state that sales must be limited to the U.S.
  • alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭
    If you are on the list with FideliTrade, A-Mark and say APMEX and you get selected, can you get 3-sets?

I thought the set is limited to one per household per US Mint restrictions. How could this restriction be monitored? Thanks.

<< <i>If you are on the list with FideliTrade, A-Mark and say APMEX and you get selected, can you get 3-sets?

I thought the set is limited to one per household per US Mint restrictions. How could this restriction be monitored? Thanks. >>

I believe the 1 per HH is who each AP can sell to. The public can buy one from each AP for nine total.
    There is no restriction on where the public can buy, only that an AP "is supposed to" sell only 1 per HH.

If only 1 per HH, we all would like to know how HSN got at least 211 sets and how many others
    got more than 1 each from a single AP.
  • alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you are on the list with FideliTrade, A-Mark and say APMEX and you get selected, can you get 3-sets?

I thought the set is limited to one per household per US Mint restrictions. How could this restriction be monitored? Thanks. >>

I believe the 1 per HH is who each AP can sell to. The public can buy one from each AP for nine total.
    There is no restriction on where the public can buy, only that an AP "is supposed to" sell only 1 per HH.

If only 1 per HH, we all would like to know how HSN got at least 211 sets and how many others
    got more than 1 each from a single AP. >>

If that is true, I really missed the boat. I think HSN had paid their employees few hundred dollar bonus to sign-up with these AP's.

<< <i>

<< <i>

got more than 1 each from a single AP. >>

If that is true, I really missed the boat. I think HSN had paid their employees few hundred dollar bonus to sign-up with these AP's. >>

They had them too quickly to get them from normal channels. They got them in bulk. I saw Mezak state that HSN has special relationships
    with some AP's and were able to get them in bulk. Most on this forum only have 1 set so far and a few might have a second.
  • My NGC grades are in from my APMEX coins:

001 2010 5oz SILVER YELLOWSTONE 25C MS 67 EARLY RELEASES
    002 2010 5oz SILVER MOUNT HOOD 25C MS 68 EARLY RELEASES
    003 2010 5oz SILVER HOT SPRINGS 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    004 2010 5oz SILVER YOSEMITE 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    005 2010 5oz SILVER GRAND CANYON 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES

I'm definitely happy with these grades. I would say that the 200 other sets sent to NGC (almost all 69's) were most likely the product of cherrypicking. The Yellowstone quarter graded MS67 due to some hazing on the steam cloud.

<< <i>My NGC grades are in from my APMEX coins:

001 2010 5oz SILVER YELLOWSTONE 25C MS 67 EARLY RELEASES
    002 2010 5oz SILVER MOUNT HOOD 25C MS 68 EARLY RELEASES
    003 2010 5oz SILVER HOT SPRINGS 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    004 2010 5oz SILVER YOSEMITE 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES
    005 2010 5oz SILVER GRAND CANYON 25C MS 69 EARLY RELEASES

I'm definitely happy with these grades. I would say that the 200 other sets sent to NGC (almost all 69's) were most likely the product of cherrypicking. The Yellowstone quarter graded MS67 due to some hazing on the steam cloud. >>

• BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if HSN has binding contracts with some of the AP's that legally supercede the mint "guidelines"?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>I wonder if HSN has binding contracts with some of the AP's that legally supercede the mint "guidelines"? >>

The US Mint is aware of complaints regarding some of the AP's and the America the Beautiful 5oz sets. After the US Mint investigates the issue there will be a Press Release. Please continue to forward complaints to the US Mint when you notice any wrongdoings. This will help to ensure other AP's stay true to their agreements.

• << <i>I wonder if HSN has binding contracts with some of the AP's that legally supercede the mint "guidelines"? >>

i just can`t see an agreement between two businesses overriding a federal agency mandate. JMO
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if HSN has binding contracts with some of the AP's that legally supercede the mint "guidelines"? >>

The AP would have a choice for which contract to breech and which one to comply with. It's a no-brainer, you wouldn't want to jeopardize your AP status, and any customers should understand.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

It looks as if A-Mark has set 10:00 am PST as the start of the show. Now wouldn't it be something if Apmex decided to do the same thing at the exact same time. Hmmm ..... what to do? image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • I sent an email to Michael White (US Mint) regarding the Gold Center's actions noting the following:

Article 1
    By Debbie Bradley, Numismatic News- January 06, 2011
    Highlights:
    Sold 600 sets to the public: Jim Hausman of The Gold Center in Springfield, Ill., sold about 600 sets of America the Beautiful 5-ounce silver coins at $975 each on Jan. 3.
    Talks trash about the Mint after agreeing to the Mint's terms: “If General Motors or Ford would dictate to their dealers out there and do the same thing the U.S. Mint did to their distributors, all those people from General Motors and Ford would be in jail for price fixing,” Hausman said. “But the government figures it can do whatever it wants.”
    Talks trash about customers, sounds like he wanted to be the profiteer: “These coins were supposed to go to collectors, and they went to profiteers,” Hausman said.

Article 2
    By AMANDA REAVY (amanda.reavy@sj-r.com), THE STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER- Posted Jan 03, 2011 @ 11:30 PM
    Highlights:
    Received 3,700 sets: Nine of the dealers agreed to participate and received 3,000 coins of each design. Since two purchasers are not selling the coins, another 700 coins of each design were distributed to dealers, Hausman said.
    States that not all coins were made available to the public: “We primarily wanted to take care of our own customers and dealers. Once we got through that, we opened it up to the public on Monday morning at 10 a.m.,” he said.
    States he knew the Mint's requirements- The Mint last month required that its 11 authorized dealers sell the coins for no more than $975 each and enforce the ordering limit of one per household, Hausman said.
    Sold 600 sets to the public: Hausman said about 600 sets of coins were available Monday morning. They sold out by that afternoon.

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Another FUN Show report from Numismaster

Link >>

"it put 600 sets on sale Jan. 3."
    What happened to the other 2400 sets? >>

How bout what happened to the other 2800 sets? I was in Springfield, once again sales started at 10:00 we didn't get kicked outta the store with our coins until very close to 11:30, So based on the numbers, figure approx 50-60 sets sold per 90 minutes, 100-120 sets sold by 1PM, 150-170 by 2:30 p.m., I left around noon but the reports indicate they closed the thing down around 3PM....No way 600 sets, regardless of their BS claims...It was 5 customers in at a time, and they wouldn't let the next 5 in until the shoe of the last of the 5 hit the sidewalk....

Oh Ya, one more myth to dispell. There was some talk by the clown about supposedly 60 hired man power workers. I saw the cops, maybe 3 of them walking down the second half of the line with I think the owner, there was something going on regarding manpower people getting booted but there certainly wasn't 60 of them. At most we saw maybe 8-10 people wandering off...No way 60 that woulda been more than 3/4 of the back of the line....More BS...Don't know why the guy trys to make up an attempted cover that admit he broke the rules...

My favorite part of that State Journal-Register article is at the end, in the comments section, where Hausman criticized his detractors. He makes some damning statements. This is what he had to say to the readers that left negative comments about him:

AFP; GoodGrief; oly2059; 1sagegrl; hinton: Thank You

Wantstoknow: You don't have a clue-These ARE NOT my customers. These are people trying to take advantage of a situation/system that The Gold Center, Inc., had no part in setting up. These are people trying to make a quick buck. The US Mint set the rules-you don't like them-call the Mint.

HeavyB: We are distributors for the US MINT. We have thousands of customers from coast to coast. The US MINT forced us into this situation, and the Director of the US Mint resigned last week. Maybe the US Mint decided it was better for the 'Distributors to take the blame, than the Mint, for this screw up.' The Mint did not want to deal with the public, nor do I.

TC: What are you smoking? There are 5 -FIVE- 5 ounce coins (5 times 5 = 25) or 25 ounces in a set- Please go back to school. Public apology appreciated. Add in the hundreds, if not thousands of man hours, packaging, boxes, credit card fee's, banking fee's,answering 200 phone calls a day for the last month, interest on 3 million dollars and tell me how much I made. Then subtract 50 percent in taxes and what did I make? According to your math, TRILLIONS.

rdh4: How many customers do you think we have? US Treasury rules state that 'no officer, employee, owner' may buy or keep any of these coins-CHEAP/SLEAZY SHOT. Please contact me directly and I will be glad to give you the phone numbers of the acting Director of the US MINT. We have been selling the sets to our 'Real' customers for 3 weeks. AND we actually received 3700 sets. If I am going to give away $1500 per set profit, I do have the right to give away money to MY customers.

hogeye; JE123; Kev; Firnemt; jagerdude420: How about '200' people come pitch tents and park at your house? I wish I could make $1500.00 per set instead of $50.00. Can you say 'Used'-you were willing to stand in line, in the cold, for $50.00 while the guy that hired you tried to make 100's of THOUSANDS of dollars and make me violate US MINT POLICY. Hogeye-You want photo's of how many were there? We have already sent photo's to the Mint. My dealers and customers are entitled to one set. We sold Two sets on the phone to our 'real' customers for every one sold to the people in line just on Monday alone. Want to recompute your numbers?

The US Mint put us in this position, not us. I did violate US Mint policy by giving TWO tickets to an elderly couple that drove here from OHIO, stayed in the cold all night, and were the first to contact us to turn in the people standing in line for dealers/profiteer's . Turn me in. Contact me and I will be glad to provide numbers for the US MINT. Tonight on ebay, most of the sets we sold at $975, are being sold at $2400. Blame these guys not me. The US mint created rules that accomplished EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what they wanted to happen. We estimate that 1 in 8 sets we sold on Monday are on ebay right now. Not our rules, the Mints rules.

Hope this clears up the ridiculous statements/comments made on this site.

Oh and most importantly, THANK YOU TO THE SPRINGFIELD POLICE DEPARTMENT AND MY EMPLOYEES FOR PUTTING UP WITH THIS SITUATION.

The Gold Center, Inc.

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>I did violate US Mint policy by giving TWO tickets to an elderly couple that drove here from OHIO, stayed in the cold all night, and were the first to contact us to turn in the people standing in line for dealers/profiteer's . -The Gold Center, Inc. >>

This may be enough to launch an investigation, someone else should send this into the US Mint (the more people that complain, the better). Here is Michael White's email: m.white@usmint.treas.gov

We are getting screwed because it appears that approximately 10% of the sets that were supposed to be available to the public from AP's are no longer available.
  • Well, it looks like coinsantiques has abandoned their mission to drive prices below $2k. Prices rebounded a little today.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

His arrogance is astonishing. How can the Mint possibly retain him after he made public statements like this:

"These ARE NOT my customers."

"The Mint did not want to deal with the public, nor do I."

"We have been selling the sets to our 'Real' customers for 3 weeks. AND we actually received 3700 sets."

"I wish I could make $1500.00 per set instead of $50.00. Can you say 'Used'"

"We sold Two sets on the phone to our 'real' customers for every one sold to the people in line just on Monday alone."

He's an embarrassment!

~ Vince Lombardi

<< <i>

<< <i>This may be enough to launch an investigation, someone else should send this into the US Mint (the more people that complain, the better). Here is Michael White's email: m.white@usmint.treas.gov

We are getting screwed because it appears that approximately 10% of the sets that were supposed to be available to the public from AP's are no longer available. >>

Thanks for the email address. I'll send them a copy of Hausman's remarks, in case they haven't seen them yet.

~ Vince Lombardi
    Just got my pucks from MTB. Unlike the other guy on here, they sent mine UPS ground and being in Arizona, it took all week to get here. Packing was a box within a UPS box, and inside each puck was in a bubble mailer. The bubble mailers were taped down to the box. What's interesting is that 4 of the pucks were in capsules, and 1 was in a huge flip. 1 capsuled puck busted out of the bubble mailer in shipping. The puck in the flip busted out of the flip but remained in the bubble mailer.

One of the coins might be MS68, the rest all have significant gouges or flaws... nothing I would blame on MTB, but you never know.

I took one pic of the side, the part you can't see says 5.0 OUNCE. The lettering only takes up about 1/3 of the edge.
    I scanned one side of the coins on my scanner - hence the red/orange accents.

Thanks for the pix. I know lots of people don't much care for these designs, but I'm sorry - I think they're beautiful! Now if I could just get a set .......

~ Vince Lombardi
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already colorized?

• << <i>Thanks for the pix. I know lots of people don't much care for these designs, but I'm sorry - I think they're beautiful! Now if I could just get a set ....... >>

I think you'll have a good chance with A-Mark. Just practice your button pushing!!
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Re A-Mark...CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS!!!

YEAH! >>

Just a word of caution, the CC is via paypalalooza. That's what it says on the Amark site.

Otherwise, who knows what other payment methods are accepted.

We'll see, I guess. image

When Apmex sold theirs, did anyone have any problems ordering? No system crashes?

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>When Apmex sold theirs, did anyone have any problems ordering? No system crashes? >>

No problems. Not everybody hit the site all at once as it wasn't really advertised. And the $1395 price tag drove many away. Took like 14? hrs for them to sell out 1000 sets.

APMEX has a very usable online retail interface. Amark does not, so I'm wondering how it's going to work.

Unfortunately, I think they're probably wondering the same thing. I've been around enough new systems over the years to have a fairly good idea of what can happen. But they're first class all the way so maybe it'll be a pleasant surprise image

~ Vince Lombardi
    I predict server crash/problems for Amark...

It'll be an awesome test, that's for sure! imageimage

~ Vince Lombardi
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like the First PCGS set with actual grades has made its way to Ebay. Seller is pebblesandbambam2010...Mixed grades but a few 69's in the set. I can only guess that the price is low and not how I'd have done it but nonetheless it will be interesting to follow. >>

$5700 BIN Two 67s, a 68 + two 69s. I bet it sells and fast.

link to PCGS BIN >>

The seller has the best set that I've seen thus far. I got two 66s in mine.

Of course, what he says about FS is false - there is NO FS cut off. >>

With his DSR rating, I doubt he'll get anywhere close to what he's asking. S&H is killing his chances.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Already colorized? >>

On the Hot Springs coin, looks like there is a beer above the fountainimage
    -------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like the First PCGS set with actual grades has made its way to Ebay. Seller is pebblesandbambam2010...Mixed grades but a few 69's in the set. I can only guess that the price is low and not how I'd have done it but nonetheless it will be interesting to follow. >>

$5700 BIN Two 67s, a 68 + two 69s. I bet it sells and fast.

link to PCGS BIN >>

The seller has the best set that I've seen thus far. I got two 66s in mine.

Of course, what he says about FS is false - there is NO FS cut off. >>

With his DSR rating, I doubt he'll get anywhere close to what he's asking. S&H is killing his chances. >>

It's more than S&H, but as I said, I'd have done it differently...But nonetheless interesting to watch...

<< <i>

-------BigE >>

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

-------BigE >>

image >>

ProofCollection's scanner made all the coins look neat. Could be reflecting off the blue film some of these seem to have on the surface

-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Any reports of milkspots yet? image
    If amark uses paypal as a shopping cart, with paypal payment, their site can handle LOTS of traffic because most of the processing is done on Paypal's site.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • I'd say Mount Hood is my favorite and the Hot Springs is interesting in its detail Grand Canyon is confusing looking and Yellowstone is hokey with the Buffalo standing there. Yosemite is not bad but kinda boring JMHO

<< <i>If amark uses paypal as a shopping cart, with paypal payment, their site can handle LOTS of traffic because most of the processing is done on Paypal's site. >>

So, will they post an email address on their site that we send the money too?
    I have only sent money via an email address on paypal.

never mind. If they use a shopping cart and pay via paypal, that makes sense now.
    Just like buying off of ebay.
    and paypal now has this 'guest' feature where you don't HAVE to have an account
    I wish that the PCGS holders were such that you could read the edge inscriptions.
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Does Paypal have a storefront feature that would allow the sale to all be handled by Paypal? Like a Yahoo or Amazon store. I wonder if they will take a loss or almost no profit on these after Paypal fees, what is Paypal fees on a $1000 item?

Edit: Found that calculator that was posted a few pages back, looks only to be about 3% so probably built into the shipping and handling fee, or like APMEX they may have a cash discount.
  • Paypal really is the best option for the APs who don't normally do online retail. I think the other APs have been holding off to see how Amark, Fidleitrade, MTB and TGC handle these. So far it looks like store counter sales are not for the grouchy. And Fidelitrade is probably sorting through a small mountain of packages. I guess we'll see how the Paypal approach works.

<< <i>I wish that the PCGS holders were such that you could read the edge inscriptions. >>

NGC has their EdgeView holders. You can see one here:

NGC EdgeView

Does PCGS have any plans to do likewise?

~ Vince Lombardi
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One hundred full decks!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file