Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Its rude to talk up competitors grading services on pcgs's website------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    it's reality

I'm a fan of PCGS on many issues, but not this one. Bad choice of holder-no edge view.

I can say the same about their grading of UHR's.

NGC blew them away with PL grading. PCGS should have done the same.

What demands more money in the secondary mkt on UHR's, a PCGS 70 FS, or a NGC MS70 PL ER?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Prediction: Their website will crash at 10:00:01 PST >>

Agreed, I don't forsee anything but utter madness and despair coming from this!image >>

Yep, It's ATB Twilight Zone -

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone.

image >>

I wonder if that's Gold Center guy was thinking.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
    Here we go again with another AP.

My guess is - many will get through. You will be able to order Tues NIGHT and get one.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here we go again with another AP.

My guess is - many will get through. You will be able to order Tues NIGHT and get one. >>

Could depend on -

What "Limited Quantities" means (500 sets of pucks available or 3000?)

and

Amark website survivability to "let me in" hammering from clients on the server.

I think the website will survive; the number of puck sets available is questionable - I guess we'll find out Tuesday!

It's all speculation.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>it's happened many times

NGC 69's are definitely preferable than PCGS 65/66/67/68, especially with this type of issue (modern bullion)

PCGS 65/66/67/68 in these - I would rather crack and have in NGC 69 ER.

Definitely. Those low grade PCGS graded will have a tough time getting more than RAW money.

Based on the grading coming out of PCGS, mine will go across the street.

Also, you get the edge view. From what i've seen from PCGS, no edge view. >>

Hey, although it appears to be the only low grade PCGS 66 on sale, it's doing OK with a Bid Of $650.00, and I think singles of the PCGS 69's would pop off if listed correctly...Keep an eye on wondercoins listed set, that should be somewhat telling regarding pricing, at least in the short term...A nicely done listing by the way!!

PCGS ATB graded 66 on Ebay
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

NGC 69's are definitely preferable than PCGS 65/66/67/68, especially with this type of issue (modern bullion)

Definitely. Those low grade PCGS graded will have a tough time getting more than RAW money.

Hey, although it appears to be the only low grade PCGS 66 on sale, it's doing OK with a Bid Of $650.00, and I think singles of the PCGS 69's would pop off if listed correctly...Keep an eye on wondercoins listed set, that should be somewhat telling regarding pricing, at least in the short term...A nicely done listing by the way!!

PCGS ATB graded 66 on Ebay >>

I can't find the wondercoins set. Do you have a linky?

It's just INCREDIBLE that an NGC single coin in a "BU" holder (could be a 64 for all the buyer knows) brought over $800!!!!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    dont know if ngc allows minimum grades on these, if not making minimum grade, then "BU" the slab.

if that's the case, the NGC BU's are the rejects.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭
    I wish PCGS did have the edge view on these. I don't understand why they did not do this.
    I agree pf70

They made a big boo-boo on that one

plus PCGS is FS -----EVERY PUCK, no cutoff.

Very well stated post.

That said, I would not be at all surprised to see PCGS 68s commanding at least as much as NGC 69s if not a bit more.

I think that PCGS 69s will do very, very well.

I REALLY hope that PCGS modifies their holder so that the edge inscription is visible. The edge inscription is very cool.

HR PL 70s which are not even ERs bring crazy money. I wish that I had one. I can tell you however that I've compared MANY PL and non-PLs side-by-side in a blinded fashion at major shows and am TOTALLY unable to discern ANY difference between them whatsoever. Irrelevant of course as we see what they bring.

It will be very interesting to see how much of a premium that NGC ERs bring. Unlike most, there is no blue stripe, just Early Releases below the rest of the text.
    I agree PCGS 69's will do better than NGC 69's

but the pop's of PCGS graded PUCKS below MS69 is the issue

your odds of having a coin worth LESS than a NGC MS69 are VERY HIGH.

and those coins grading PCGS MS68 and lower are CRACKOUT coins to be sold RAW.

• << <i>

<< <i>I have to admit that I am pretty pissed off. The Bullion distribution system was not set up so that a handful of companies could make an exorbitant profit on the exclusivity that the mint granted them. It was not supposed to be a government sanctioned ripoff of the people. I was expecting, and willing, to pay a premium, but not almost double spot. That actually goes against the wording of the bullion distribution system. BS. BS. BS.

John >>

The bullion system is set up to protect the Mint from flagrant returns, as has happened with certain precious metal numismatic products when bullion prices dropped, or after the buyers had cherrypicked a shipment.

Blame those people. >>

How does this not violate U.S. anti-trust legislation? The U.S. Mint is only selling to a handful of distributors who have a monopoly on the market, and are using this control to sell them for twice the value of melt.

<< <i>I agree PCGS 69's will do better than NGC 69's

but the pop's of PCGS graded PUCKS below MS69 is the issue

your odds of having a coin worth LESS than a NGC MS69 are VERY HIGH.

and those coins grading PCGS MS68 and lower are CRACKOUT coins to be sold RAW. >>

You don't think that PCGS 68s may do well? I could see folks trying to assemble a 68 set.
    they havent done well in the past,

this may be the exception?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I have to admit that I am pretty pissed off. The Bullion distribution system was not set up so that a handful of companies could make an exorbitant profit on the exclusivity that the mint granted them. It was not supposed to be a government sanctioned ripoff of the people. I was expecting, and willing, to pay a premium, but not almost double spot. That actually goes against the wording of the bullion distribution system. BS. BS. BS.

John >>

The bullion system is set up to protect the Mint from flagrant returns, as has happened with certain precious metal numismatic products when bullion prices dropped, or after the buyers had cherrypicked a shipment.

Blame those people. >>

How does this not violate U.S. anti-trust legislation? The U.S. Mint is only selling to a handful of distributors who have a monopoly on the market, and are using this control to sell them for twice the value of melt. >>

My view is that the AP people are to make a market in the bullion. They have to be both buyers and sellers of the bullion they buy from the mint. For a "market solution," the government turned to the private sector to make the market.

Of course those rotten frequent return/cherry pickers would spoil the mints workload, but as it is, at least one AP sells raw AND graded, slabbed bullion. And there is nothing in the "regular" AP agreement to keep the other APs from cherrypicking before public sales.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>they havent done well in the past,

this may be the exception? >>

may be.

the pop reports will tell the tale.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>I just got my coins back from PCGS and looked at them for the first time. They are a little comical and now I see why a 70 is nearly impossible. I'm going to sell them quick because I think the NGC slabs will be the winners here for sure. Heck, maybe I should just send them into NGC for the ER slab and 69 grade. I bet my 66's would grade 69 at NGC. >>

A three point increase in grade? That's doubtful.
    not there.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Sorry, here's the link to wondercoins...C'mon though you guys know how to find this stuff, also found 2 pcgs 66's bid/s to $650.00, are the raws still selling at or above $650?

link
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just got my coins back from PCGS and looked at them for the first time. They are a little comical and now I see why a 70 is nearly impossible. I'm going to sell them quick because I think the NGC slabs will be the winners here for sure. Heck, maybe I should just send them into NGC for the ER slab and 69 grade. I bet my 66's would grade 69 at NGC. >>

A three point increase in grade? That's doubtful. >>

Maybe if your check has HSN on it.imageimage
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>Sorry, here's the link to wondercoins...C'mon though you guys know how to find this stuff, also found 2 pcgs 66's bid/s to $650.00, are the raws still selling at or above $650?

link >>

Thanks for the link!!

I have been using "sliver" in all of my searches so as to not get all of the quarters. That's why I didn't see it...
    cross thread quoting!

<< <i>you would think they would worry more about the cr&p going on with the AP's and the pucks

and not about the first spouses.
    >>

I do my share of trying to get things sorted out.

Raufus has, too.

I wish some of the others who have posted info on here would just send an e-mail to Michael White (m.white@usmint.treas.gov) to let the mint know.

The more info they have, the easier it will be for them to do something about it.
    a little under 3 hours for this sealed box special!

currently residing @ $2,351.99 in Lonestar, TX

<< <i>cross thread quoting!

<< <i>you would think they would worry more about the cr&p going on with the AP's and the pucks

and not about the first spouses.
    >>

I do my share of trying to get things sorted out.

Raufus has, too.

I wish some of the others who have posted info on here would just send an e-mail to Michael White (m.white@usmint.treas.gov) to let the mint know.

The more info they have, the easier it will be for them to do something about it. >>

Thanks MsM!!

This would be very helpful!!

<< <i>Isn't listing a BOOK under COINS an Ebay violation???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120665275080&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT >>

eBay has gotten pretty lax on their enfocement of some rules violations.
    keyword spamming and high shipping + low BIN for fee avoidance are two that readily come to mind.

miscategorization is just another, I guess
    Clearly this zero feedback "seller" has no intention of selling anything. Only motivation seems to be to "protect" the ebay shoppers from paying more than issue for the pucks. Boy will those who try be in for a treat when trying to actually order the things as we all know all to well.
    perhaps this is why the eBay buyers seem intent on spending $2,000+ on the things.

I haven't figured out what is motivating them to do it. I'd gladly trade $1,000+ for a few e-mails and faxes and working the phones.
  • Initially I thought that it was an irritated person who missed the boat on the initial APMEX offering and didn't like seeing people sell sets for a 200% markup. But it's been kicking around for awhile now. At this point, the book writer must at least have a set or two, as they seem to be intently watching events unfold and updating them in the rather expensive book.

Turns out it's not as easy as making a phone call or hitting a button to get a set from an AP. It's actually a royal PITA, well, unless you're a preferred customer. As it turns out, the American public are not preferred customers.

I hope AMark has a few server techs standing by when 10am PST Jan 18th rolls around. I'm expecting a warp-core breach.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    $5,276.76
    ebay

<< <i>$5,276.76
    ebay >>

OMG. talk about stupid amounts of money.

• << <i>

<< <i>$5,276.76
    ebay >>

OMG. talk about stupid amounts of money. >>

Makes you wonder what a run of PCGS all '69s would do.
    like i mentioned on an earlier page

look at ngc pops for 66-69 grades. 95% at 69. your likelyhood of getting a set of 69's - pretty good.

likleyhood of getting a set of pcgs69's - very very low.

ending up with 65-68 mixed grades from pcgs, very high.

what would you rather have?

a simple problem of profit maximumization
    I have to say it once more....

these pucks are really goofy looking in person.

i still cant figure out why you would want to collect these (all profit motive aside).
    Some PCGS FS 68 and 69 singles just hit Ebay. It will be very interesting to watch them!!
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    you need a good number of auctions to understand pricing, you cant determine where these are going based on one auction.

my opinion is that pcgs 66 could have ended up in a ngc 69 holder,

meaning a $1,000+ price tag (based on set price) instead of $650.

i guess we will see over time.

• << <i>$5,276.76
    ebay >>

Sounds crazy but with the early release labels on those coins I bet that buyer can turn a decent profit in 6-mo to a year even at that price.

• << <i>$649.00
    for a single 66 >>

Yesterday a raw Grand Canyon sold for $550. Of course, the prices are in a constant state of flux with these. But I don't think I'd get these slabbed unless I thought I'd get something higher than a '66 or so.

• << <i>you need a good number of auctions to understand pricing, you cant determine where these are going based on one auction.

my opinion is that pcgs 66 could have ended up in a ngc 69 holder,

meaning a $1,000+ price tag (based on set price) instead of $650.

i guess we will see over time. >>

Based upon my NGC grades I don't think there is any way a PCGS 66 would get 69 at NGC. Maybe a 67. The 3 MS69's I got were true MS69's. Remember, the NGC pops are skewed right now since the 200 sets they've graded were heavily cherrypicked. The PCGS grades we're seeing weren't cherrypicked from thousands of coins. They were just what was sent from the AP's to normal customers.

There might not be as big a difference in the grading between the 2 companies as it seems right now.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just listed my set, along with a friends who ordered a set as well. I'm getting on an aircraft carrier this week and heading out to sea (I'm a civilian out there for work) and won't be around to deal with them for a while, so I had to do a one day auction. I don't think I'll do as good with a one day auction as I would have in another format. Oh well. I wanted to keep a set but just paid a lot of money to refinance my house and my wife was in a pretty bad car accident yesterday where she was ultimately cited for failure to yield right of way (she and my 2 yr old son are ok, she's six months pregnant too). I sold the majority of my personal coin collection to refinance, now it looks like I will have to sell most everything left to replace the car, which has been paid off for 3 years.

I won't get a chance to order from any of the other AP's either while underway. Internet on the carriers is about as good as it was in most homes in 1991. POTS (plain old telephone system) is out of the question for personal use.
    at least 2 points, maybe 3 higher at NGC.

Especially Moderns.

• << <i>I just listed my set, along with a friends who ordered a set as well. I'm getting on an aircraft carrier this week and heading out to sea (I'm a civilian out there for work) and won't be around to deal with them for a while, so I had to do a one day auction. I don't think I'll do as good with a one day auction as I would have in another format. Oh well. I wanted to keep a set but just paid a lot of money to refinance my house and my wife was in a pretty bad car accident yesterday where she was ultimately cited for failure to yield right of way (she and my 2 yr old son are ok, she's six months pregnant too). I sold the majority of my personal coin collection to refinance, now it looks like I will have to sell most everything left to replace the car, which has been paid off for 3 years.

I won't get a chance to order from any of the other AP's either while underway. Internet on the carriers is about as good as it was in most homes in 1991. POTS (plain old telephone system) is out of the question for personal use. >>

Thank God your wife and son and future child are OK!! Hopefully you will do very well on your sale. Have a safe trip on I am sure the thread you started will be going strong on your return.

<< <i>$5,276.76
    ebay >>

Hard to understand...an NGC ER 69 set was offered multiple times at $4899 w/no bidders.

• << <i>

<< <i>I just listed my set, along with a friends who ordered a set as well. I'm getting on an aircraft carrier this week and heading out to sea (I'm a civilian out there for work) and won't be around to deal with them for a while, so I had to do a one day auction. I don't think I'll do as good with a one day auction as I would have in another format. Oh well. I wanted to keep a set but just paid a lot of money to refinance my house and my wife was in a pretty bad car accident yesterday where she was ultimately cited for failure to yield right of way (she and my 2 yr old son are ok, she's six months pregnant too). I sold the majority of my personal coin collection to refinance, now it looks like I will have to sell most everything left to replace the car, which has been paid off for 3 years.

I won't get a chance to order from any of the other AP's either while underway. Internet on the carriers is about as good as it was in most homes in 1991. POTS (plain old telephone system) is out of the question for personal use. >>

Thank God your wife and son and future child are OK!! Hopefully you will do very well on your sale. Have a safe trip on I am sure the thread you started will be going strong on your return. >>

Sorry to hear about the accident. I think I saw your pucks on ebay and they look like nice strikes. Between that and a Sunday ending, you should do well! Good luck at sea, we'll have this at a million posts when you get back.

<< <i>at least 2 points, maybe 3 higher at NGC.

Especially Moderns. >>

I certainly understand Brian's post. That said, the 90+% 69s from NGC vs. that about 20% from PCGS does make one lean towards the above.

• << <i>

<< <i>at least 2 points, maybe 3 higher at NGC.

Especially Moderns. >>

I certainly understand Brian's post. That said, the 90+% 69s from NGC vs. that about 20% from PCGS does make one lean towards the above. >>

I think the difference mostly lies in the quality of the coins each grading service has received thus far. Time will tell.
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I may have a set of ATB 5 ozers coming to me.
    I was looking at PCGS website to fill out a form to get them graded, but, not sure what to use:

Modern ($14) w/ 1st strike ($18), but how much for the larger holders and do I need to check another box?

Thx, T
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    the race is ON!!!!!

Is this 5300?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file